UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

Judging by the answers about who they aren't making in 2011, it really looks like Diamond is concentrating all their efforts into the three movie waves. Which makes me wonder, are people excited about the movie waves? Or would you rather have the classic comic version of the characters?

I'd almost always rather have the comic accurate version of the characters over a movie wave. That's not to say that some of the movie stuff isn't ok (or even good), but i mainly prefer comic-based figures.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see how pumping out the Battle Beasts gator again and again will really generate demand for the line. Heck, out of the 4 (5 if the Christmas one was actually released) that have been released, only one of them was for sale, and it was bundled with a carrying case. I fail to see how they can recover the cost of buying the brand and sculpting the molds for the one figure if they won't give anyone a chance to actually pay for one.

As for the focus of 2011, it looks like we're focusing on beating the X-Men side of the Marvel Universe to death. We have Thor and Cap movies coming, but we've seen nothing from the comic side of either group. Then, we have X-Men First Class, which will probably be the weakest of the three Marvel movies this year, and which DST hasn't shown much optimism in considering they're only releasing an assortment of TRU exclusives, yet they've already shown off a comic-based box set for X-Men First Class.

well the prototypes we saw, the gorilla, iguana, rhino, gator and octopus were not based on the minimate design at all. Though, they were very much homages of the original battle beasts, except any indication of fire/wood/water.

I think they are debating the right way to do it.

Maybe there is a debate to do smaller figures with random elements. Or larger figures that either have no elements or its set every time. Or maybe they can't do rubsigns and so on. So, they're in development hell.

The stuff I've seen, be it a minimate style or a bigger figure, I'd get either. Though I'd love it if they could incorporate the elements, rubsigns aren't necessary for that.

well the prototypes we saw, the gorilla, iguana, rhino, gator and octopus were not based on the minimate design at all. Though, they were very much homages of the original battle beasts, except any indication of fire/wood/water.

Maybe there is a debate to do smaller figures with random elements. Or larger figures that either have no elements or its set every time. Or maybe they can't do rubsigns and so on. So, they're in development hell.

The stuff I've seen, be it a minimate style or a bigger figure, I'd get either. Though I'd love it if they could incorporate the elements, rubsigns aren't necessary for that.

What gorilla, iguana, rhino, or octopus?

What gorilla, iguana, rhino, or octopus?

I think screamfleet is referring to these:

post-560-1299092649_thumb.jpg

BS

Judging by the answers about who they aren't making in 2011, it really looks like Diamond is concentrating all their efforts into the three movie waves. Which makes me wonder, are people excited about the movie waves? Or would you rather have the classic comic version of the characters?

616 all the way for me. Dont get me wrong I will by the Captain America waves, if for nothing else that awesome Dum Dum Dugan, but the Thor and X Men stuff...for me they are a pass. Nice looking figures, just not what I am interested in right now... well ok the first class stuff looks lazy to me so they are an easy pass.

Right now I am mainly focused on riding out 616, and specifically completing the avengers and x men (core).

At this point, if they made a Falcon, Black Knight, and Longshot...I could call my collection complete. and everything else would be gravy...

so long story short, the movie waves are (imoho) wasted slots...

moc847

Right there with ya. Movie waves are pick-and-choose for what I can use with my comic stuff. That's it and that's all. If they're concentrating more on movie stuff for 2011 then I'll be saving lots of money to spend on collected editions of comics.

• 1 month later...

April 3rd Minimates Q&A

New Q&A is up.

Nothing interesting in this one except they are aware of the QC problems (finally) and believe they have taken steps to fix it. Everything comes from one factory and it seems production bottlenecks cause the issues.

Better scheduling with releases spaced out some might help the QC issues. Yea it's great to get all the stuff that came out in March. but I'd rather have a steady stream with no QC issues than months of nothing and then a giant horde released at once with QC issues.

And how is it that as many times as Trek is brought up, DST still doesn't think there's a market for it? It's as if they won't consider maybe it just wasn't marketed right and that's why it fizzled out.

Edited by groundhog7s

And how is it that as many times as Trek is brought up, DST still doesn't think there's a market for it? It's as if they won't consider maybe it just wasn't marketed right and that's why it fizzled out.

I'm concerned that you may not actually be....... being sarcastic ? :mellow:

One factory ! :unsure:

Edited by buttheadsmate

The Q&A's used to be good and informative and aside from 1 , maybe 2 questions the Q&A has turned into this:

Question: have you guys (DST) thought about making <insert character name here>?

Chuck: no, we have no plans of making them.

It's disappointing they don't reveal more. imo.

On a side note....."buttheadsmate". Ah now I get it!!! :)

The Q&A's used to be good and informative and aside from 1 , maybe 2 questions the Q&A has turned into this:

Question: have you guys (DST) thought about making <insert character name here>?

Is it possibly a case of the only questions that are being submitted lately are character requests?

Is it possibly a case of the only questions that are being submitted lately are character requests?

Clearly there is a good question factory and a bad question factory...

Clearly there is a good question factory and a bad question factory...

Of course there isn't; the question process is exactly the same so there can only be one factory...??

Do we really have nothing to "Ask DST" anymore?? At least we had that great quality question; next time someone is at a Con with them, they should really show Chuck some Thor movie ones in comparison to the Shadowland wave.

Garrett Beatty

I’m a huge fan of the Marvel minimates, but there are a few characters that, I believe, could use an update, specifically modern versions of Storm, Colossus and Rogue. I’m also curious to know if there are any plans to make minimate versions of more of the cosmic characters, I’d love a Quasar, Starlord, Mantis, Rocket Raccoon, Ronan, and the rest of the Inhumans. Thanks for your time and keep up the great work!

DSTChuck: We do address updates from time to time but I do not think we’re looking at any of those cosmic characters.

No Cosmic minimates makes Peter a sad bunny. Heads will roll if we get Kang before any of them!