UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

Chuck said in one of his panels recently (I think it was at SDCC this summer) that Minimates alone don't generate enough profit to justify a license. Minimates can be part of a license, but not the whole thing. Which makes a lot of sense.

I agree with you, BHM, that I think Minimates have a lot of potential, and the MAX line is just now starting to tap that. Minimates are basically just a much better Lego, and since everyone played with Legos growing up, there's an inherent appeal to them. I think NorthRaider is right, though, that Minimates will never compete with Legos just based on the size of the companies. But DST's been very smart in not trying to compete with them.

I think it's a shame that DST was never able to find a sustained audience for the movie Minimates (outside of us, of course). I would have thought (as I'm sure Chuck did), that Rocky fans would be drawn to these funky little toys , but it just didn't quite work out. Loosing the Suncoast/FYE chain, and not picking up something like Blockbuster as a buyer was pretty much the nail in the coffin, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New MiniMate Q&A posted over at the ArtAsylum blog.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2011/01/ask-dst-113/

Good Question Luke :thumbsup:

2011 will hopefully see one of the following made:

Beta Ray Bill, Star-Lord, Stature, Siryn, Falcon, Doctor Voodoo, Darkhawk, A-Bomb, Strong Guy (Guido), Constrictor, members of Alpha Flight, Crystal, Toxin, Ant-Man (Eric O’Grady), or an updated Ben Reilly Spider-Man or Scarlet Spider

I'm hoping for some Alpha Flight or Crystal. Beta Ray Bill seems possible if we get a comic Thor wave to accompany the Film Wave.

There are 2 spiderman options in there though . . . <_<

I'm a bit bummed to hear that there are no plans for Larry Stroman-era X-Factor minimates. With all the late 80's/90's looks they've been having a go at across the X-Books, i was kinda hoping we'd see x-factor too :(

I really like the Thor movie minimates wave. Could you please tell us which characters will be packed in each 2-pack?

DSTChuck: Steve, that info is now on the Diamond Select website or at your local comic store.

Did DST ever actually say who would be packed with who? I am guessing that is what Steve was asking.

While it is a shame they passed on Kick-Ass, it's at least cool to know they actually considered it at some point.

I wonder if Chuck noticed the subliminal "capital letter" message in my question. His answer made no mention of it. I knew my fellow Kang supporters would see it. :D

... why have I not thought of this before?! Maybe then we could have a _______ minimate by now!!

We don't need a new scarlet spider. We JUST got one. Ben Riley isn't that old either.
I beg to differ... more Spidey's and Spidey related mates is what i want most.

Updated Scarlet Spidey with slip on mask and hood! Yeah, i know i'm in a minority here, but there you go.

We don't need a new scarlet spider. We JUST got one. Ben Riley isn't that old either.

Updated Scarlet Spidey with slip on mask and hood! Yeah, i know i'm in a minority here, but there you go.

I'm all for a Scarlet Spider mate with a slip over mask, Black Widow/Dynamo gauntlets and a hood bit like the cap in ice bit. Even the leg poutchs have been done on Deadpool so they can be used.

As for just getting a scarlet spider that was just over 3 years ago and a exclusive (which I have) So to get one on a LCS or even a TRU release so ppl can get one I'm all for.

I'm all for a Scarlet Spider mate with a slip over mask, Black Widow/Dynamo gauntlets and a hood bit like the cap in ice bit. Even the leg poutchs have been done on Deadpool so they can be used.

As for just getting a scarlet spider that was just over 3 years ago and a exclusive (which I have) So to get one on a LCS or even a TRU release so ppl can get one I'm all for.

I'd rather see new stuff, or at least new costumes. I hate this need to modernize everything. I like the older mates. They were better in a lot of cases. And considering the expanse of the MU, 3 years is not a long time when there are still so many to go.

I can't believe Chuck doesn't think a Wrecking Crew boxset would sell. I can understand not wanting it to be a TRU/Disney exclusive but it's perfect for a SDCC/online store exclusive. It's a collector aimed boxset for a collector based event and the Wrecking Crew are popular (popular enough to be released as non-exclusive figures for Marvel Universe by Hasbro)

Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers were good enough for multiple boxsets and they've made such horrible boxsets recently such as Liefield X-Factor/Wolverine through the Ages/Iron Man Battle Tactics.

arrgghh. :wallbash:

I had a question this go-round too:

Ken Raining

So as I’m sure you’re well aware, Marvel has added several properties to their stable from outside the Marvel Universe over the last few years, both by their own acquisitions and via the Disney purchase. My question is simply: are these guys covered under your license? I’d love to see a Marvel (nee Miracle) Man set, and I’d also be interested to see some of the CrossGen characters in two inches, particularly the detectives from Mark Waid’s RUSE. And I’m just going to put this out there: Disney holds the rights to the Rocketeer. Is there ANY way that DST could make a Rocketeer Minimate, or Marvel Select figure, or anything? It would make up for the hole in my heart left by the Comic Book Spirit….

DSTChuck: Our license does not extend to those properties outside the Marvel Universe. I am very sorry but based on the poor orders last time I do not think we’ll be doing anything with Spirit, which is too bad , we really wanted to do some cool comic based figures.

I just basically wanted to throw those names out there, so that they are at least in Chuck's head.

I can accept more Spider-Man redos and X-Men minor eras as long as we get a nice balance of other things. I'll take Maggot if we get Kang. And I totally agree with Fwooshyman about the Wrecking Crew. You could make the same argument for Alpha Flight (not to mention my pet project, the Squadron Supreme!).

I love that someone asked if they'd make Ultimate Galactus. Isn't he a giant space cloud?

My money for the one figure on that list is on the Falcon, followed by Beta Ray Bill. I'd buy either in a heartbeat. Maybe, because there's so many Marvel movies this year, they'll do a joint Cap/Thor comics wave. It would be better then nothing.

Had we ever heard before that the Pirates line is definitely coming out, and that it's called Calico Jack? I feel like that was big news that Chuck let slip inadvertently.

Skateboarding Minimates are actually a pretty good idea. And we had a DC question, so everybody do a shot....

Edited by hellpop

I'd rather see new stuff, or at least new costumes. I hate this need to modernize everything. I like the older mates. They were better in a lot of cases. And considering the expanse of the MU, 3 years is not a long time when there are still so many to go.

I think I'm going to echo TM2 and say that I think Scarlet Spider doesn't need another go-around just yet ... (which is a big deal for me, since I'm a huge SS fan)

I have kinda been wanting revamps of a few choice characters from the first few waves, but to me, Scarlet Spider is too new to need an update. The only thing I would want is a sculpted hood - that, to me, isn't quite enough to warrant a whole new figure. Especially when there are other releases that look horribly dated as a whole (in terms of decals, not just one extra piece)

Maybe I'm alone, but I think Spiderman 2099 is in desperate need for a redo (especially since I remember complaints from many people at the time he was released) - that would make more sense to me than a new Scarlet Spider, since he's a lot older and Shattered Dimensions has renewed a lot of interest in that particular character.

But, that being said, I would still opt for new characters before getting too many retreads. We're already getting a whole lot of new releases of certain characters we've been given 100 times, and it won't be changing any time soon... if we can get one remake for every 5 new characters, I think it'd be a nice balance.

and with that ratio, I can think of probably 20 characters that would be on my list before needing a new SS or Ben Reilly. I'm pretty content with the releases we have of those two already :)

Had we ever heard before that the Pirates line is definitely coming out, and that it's called Calico Jack? I feel like that was big news that Chuck let slip inadvertently.

I think he had mentioned this a few months back, either in a Q&A or at a convention. I'm excited to see how this line plays out.

The pirates info is not new although it's good to see it mentioned,also....... I can't recall exactly what the story was but didn't Spidey 2099 replace another character in that Wave right at the last minute & was therefore not really the ticket? Before my time but I remember reading about this recently somewhere?

I'd like an updated SS but would choose Ben Rielly over the SS. The Ben Rielly was poorly done especially when you compare it to May Parker. He's got no tampos on his legs.

I can't recall exactly what the story was but didn't Spidey 2099 replace another character in that Wave right at the last minute & was therefore not really the ticket? Before my time but I remember reading about this recently somewhere?

I'll agree with you that that happened...but can't recall what it was that it replaced. I remember how disappointing it was that he was missing the web cape, but the explanation being he was rushed and was just a vanilla mate instead.

I can't recall exactly what the story was but didn't Spidey 2099 replace another character in that Wave right at the last minute & was therefore not really the ticket? Before my time but I remember reading about this recently somewhere?

I'll agree with you that that happened...but can't recall what it was that it replaced. I remember how disappointing it was that he was missing the web cape, but the explanation being he was rushed and was just a vanilla mate instead.

99% sure it was Thanos, whom was later released as a Diamond exclusive. Right?

yeah he's worse than Ben Rielly. 2099 definitely needs to be updated.

And yeah I think it was Thanos...since 2099 got paired with silver surfer.