UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I think my 360 is dying...

The other day, my 360 started making a loud noise as it was loading discs. Since then it has started making noises while loading AND playing discs. While playing GH: Aerosmith, the music track and the notes on screen fell out of sync. A pause/resume fixed that, but I'm nervous. The "Red Rings of Death" are coming. I just know it! I've stopped playing it completely because I'm thinking about trading it in while it still works and getting a PS3.

I'm sure some of you have already had to replace your first 360 hardware. Do my 360's symptoms sound familiar? Any thoughts, suggestions or advice on the matter?

Well, I've suffered the RRoD myself. I can say that sound had nothing to do with it. What it sounds like to me is either your disc drive is messed up or it could be incredibly dusty inside the Xbox. If you dust regularly, then it sounds more like your disc drive then the actual hardware. Unfortunetly there is no answer for that other than a new disc drive. If you don't dust regularly, I sugguest you pick up a can of air that you would use on electronics and blow that sucker out. By the fan, inside the disc tray, etc. Then, if that doesn't help it has to be your disc tray.

As for your other comment, I could never with a clear conscience recommend selling your 360 for a PS3. There really is no comparrison as a gaming platform, the 360 is just better. I have both and I'll tell you the only time my PS3 comes on is to watch Blu Rays. My advice would be box it up and send it back to Microsoft. It's probably still under warrantee and they will replace it or fix it at no charge.

Good luck! neo

It could be overheating, CD scratchings, or mistreating of the CD. You should take it to Best Buy and have them look at it, But you could trade it for a PS3. I went to Gamestop and traded my PS2 and all my games for $351.29. Then I purchased an MGS4 PS3 bundle set for $500.00 (had $263.00 in bank), And now life rocks for me.

But it's your decision, I mean it's not my money. I have a job to make my own money. :thumbsup:

Edited by Massivecarnage

Now now BS. Let's be nice. I think what Massivecarnage was trying to say is that it's Handsome's money so he should do what he wants and not what 360 fanboys like me suggest, lol. And to that I agree. I have a job to make money too so that I can spend how much I want on what I want. So, in the end it doesn't matter what any of us say because it Handsome's money and he needs to do what's best for him.

Now, let's all play nice!! neo

I have a job to make my own money. :thumbsup:

... do you want a cookie or something? What are you trying to imply here, that other members don't have jobs?

BS

Chocolate chip please and no I don't. My PS2 lasted me from launch until a year and a half ago...when I sold it. Sounds like the cd drive is going.

I have a job to make my own money. :thumbsup:

... do you want a cookie or something? What are you trying to imply here, that other members don't have jobs?

BS

Chocolate chip please and no I don't. My PS2 lasted me from launch until a year and a half ago...when I sold it. Sounds like the cd drive is going.

can we get brownies too?

I don't have a job either :biggrin: ...........Wait thats a bad thing, right? :huh:

Play nice, guys :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So my 360 finally stopped working yesterday. No RRoD, but it says that every disc is an "Unplayable Disc". I guess I'm going to have to contact Microsoft for a shipping box to get it fixed. I'm sure some of you have been through this before. How is the process? Simple and easy or complicated and stressful?

It's too bad you didn't get it at Costco HSD. That's where I originally purchased mine and all I did was box it up and get a new one. From what I've heard on the board, the 360 sendback program goes pretty smooth for most of them. I wish you luck, hope you don't have to start from scratch like I did.

Hey HD I'm in exactly the same boat!

Want a race to see who get's theirs back the fastest?

I put in the request online yesterday as my 360 died also... after 2 full and happy years service!

Don: The problem with a store return like yours is that you don't get to keep the hard drive, on sending back for repair you remove all accessories such as HD and just send the console itself back so get to keep all those save games etc that you're now missing, so it's good cop bad cop I guess.

T.

I called MS last night to get my repair shipment box. After giving all of my personal/shipping information to them, the guy tells me that it's going to cost $99 to fix it. I said, "It's only a year and a half old. I thought the 360s have a 3-year warranty now". He told me that they have a 3-year warrany for the RRoD and a 1-year warranty for everything else. WHAT A JOKE! I told him to keep his box! :angry:

Man, that sucks. It might have been easier to say that it had the RROD, although they'd probable figure out that wasn't the problem when they looked at it HSD. TBT, yeah, it sucks because I'm currently working through my games and getting back the achievements I had before. On the brightside, I've enjoyed revisiting most of my games to do this. Good luck to you HSD, hope you get it sorted out.

Damn it HD that really sucks...

I found out about the small print with the RRoD and warranty when I set the return on mine up. It's iffy if you ask me they should cover any hardware issues for that period, Consoles shouldn't die so quickly and everything I've owned previously still work fine after many years.

It's not good for MS as a lot of people have had systems die and because of the cost of repair have gone to the dark side and replaced with a PS3.

You'd have to do some checknig online but I suspect the unplayable disk is a drive issue, perhaps you can pick up a 'for parts' 360 from ebay or something and repair it yourself cheaper? it's not like you're going to void the warranty are you!

Don: see this is where you should have gotten your arse online, it would have kept all your achievements etc as it keeps a copy of you profile on a server somewhere.

T.

Well the system only cost me $200 to begin with. ($400-200 in rebates)

360s are notoriously failure-prone, so I'm not gonna risk any more of my hard-earned money on another one or spend $100 to fix the one I've got. It would probably crap out again in a few months anyway. I knew better than to buy one of those pieces of junk, but I was seduced by the rebates!

I was thinking about wrapping it up in a towel and leaving it on (closely monitored of course) to see if I could get it to Red Ring for a free repair... :devil:

Don: see this is where you should have gotten your arse online, it would have kept all your achievements etc as it keeps a copy of you profile on a server somewhere.

T.

Man, if I only had the time TBT. I'm so swamped with work that I'm too tired to even play my 360 when I'm off. I'm hoping I can finally get that flatscreen I've been eye balling. That way I can hook up my 360 and my computer upstairs finally. Good luck with giving it the old red eye HSD. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues this time and hope that my lucky streak continues until the next big thing comes out.

Believe it or not, this story has a happy ending:

Before heat torturing my 360 into RRoD submission, I did a lot of research online. It seems that the "Unplayable Disc" error is caused by a small washer in the Hitachi brand DVD drives becoming loose and magnetically attaching itself to the roof of the drive.

My mission (should I choose to accept it) was to open the 360, remove the DVD drive, open the DVD drive, remove the washer from the roof, superglue it back into place and close it back up. I am by no stretch of the imagination an electronics whiz, but I watched a few people do it on YouTube videos and figured what the hell...

Less than an hour later, my 360 was up & running again! I really can't believe I did it myself. The hardest part of it all was getting the outer casing of the machine open. After that it was really quite simple.

Thanks for nothing, Microsoft! :lol:

Believe it or not, this story has a happy ending:

Before heat torturing my 360 into RRoD submission, I did a lot of research online. It seems that the "Unplayable Disc" error is caused by a small washer in the Hitachi brand DVD drives becoming loose and magnetically attaching itself to the roof of the drive.

My mission (should I choose to accept it) was to open the 360, remove the DVD drive, open the DVD drive, remove the washer from the roof, superglue it back into place and close it back up. I am by no stretch of the imagination an electronics whiz, but I watched a few people do it on YouTube videos and figured what the hell...

Less than an hour later, my 360 was up & running again! I really can't believe I did it myself. The hardest part of it all was getting the outer casing of the machine open. After that it was really quite simple.

Thanks for nothing, Microsoft! :lol:

Good Job HD.

I've opened a more than a few consoles and "ïnspected" them in my time, however I've played it safe with the 360 so far because it's not a cheap toy to mess around with.

Sadly I'm still waiting for conformation from MS that they've sent a shipping box to me. If I don't hear something tomorrow I will be calling and ranting a little ;)

T.

p.s. aren't you worried what that washer was supposed to be doing and what is going to fail now it's missing?

p.s. aren't you worried what that washer was supposed to be doing and what is going to fail now it's missing?

It's not missing. I removed it from the roof of the drive and superglued it back in place. I played Lego Star Wars for about an hour and a half last night to test it out and it worked fine. *knocks on wood*

• 2 months later...

They do, but you will never it will never be completely solved. There will always be a lemon, no matter what you buy: Game, Car, TV, Phone, etc.

The cool thing is, MS gives you a 3 year Warranty, that should put all your worries to rest! neo