UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Full, head covering minimate masks.

I really dislike the decision to have these strange looking full-face masks on so many minimates. Don't get me wrong... on some of them it can be pulled off, (harley quinn) but on some of them... It just makes their head look huge and strange looking. :confused:

So I was just wondering if anyone shared my opinion on these. (I'll still be getting the invaders set, but would have preferred that they use the other mold for cap's mask)

Edited by Havoc 05

I think they're fine as long as they fit with the character. Personally I'm not a fan of the Harley slip over mask because I think it makes her face look wrong. But for the Iron-Man, Spidey, Batman etc they're an excellent way to give us two versions of the character. As for Invaders Cap... Wait til you've got him in your hands then you'll see why they've gone for the slipover. It's an excellent piece of work.

(BTW moving this thread to Crisis of infinite minimates as I think it's more suited to there than the off-topic section of the forum. Cheers.)

The one place I'm really unhappy with the full-head masks is using them on Spider-Man. Spidey should use a base figure, as he has up to now. More importantly, the big-head Spideys look just plain wrong next to their streamlined brothers.

i got to disagree with you rad after getting the invaders i do not like the slip over mask for cap, both versions would have been better with a series 5 cap mask :happy:

That's fair enough red spade, I've no problem with people disagreeing with me (except when I'm right!) ;)

but I think the original cap WWII cap mask looks better as a slip over than it would as a helmet type mask. Two reasons. One, look at the Joe Simon Captain America with the shorter type mask. It fits very snug to Cap's head. That look couldn't be achieved with a helmet type mask.

Two, different expressions. I really dig the way the slip over head can give the same character two very different expressions. Though it's annoying as hell when the same expression is on both faces as it's a missed opportunity.

Sometimes I like it more (I think the DCD Batmen look way better than the C3 versions, for instance), and in some instances, I like it less (Scarlet Spider :sick: ), but one good thing about them, is that I think they allow for more of an artistic interpretation of masked characters than you get with the older masks. For instance, look at the "Demon in a Bottle" Tony Stark Mask. It looks much more exaggerated and comic-bookish than the first Iron Man (a mask that I really love, BTW), and is a nice way to create different looks for characters that we've already seen. With 4 or 5 Caps having been released with the non-full-head-covering-mask, I think having this new mask is a nice change of pace.

Also, you don't get problems like wave 12 Cap, where the eyes don't quite seem to come through the holes as well as they should.

However, like Cappy says, I'm not completely convinced that it works for some characters. I'm not a fan of Scarlet Spider, and I'm not too thrilled by the "big-head" look of some of the forthcoming Spideys, either. . .maybe it is having enough extra detail on the mask to distract from the fact that it increases their head size so much.

...I like it less (Scarlet Spider :sick: )...

But...Scarlet Spider didn't have a "mask/helmet (seperate, removable-from-the-head piece)" like Havoc's talking about. Or did you mean the proper definition of the word?

I'd talked to 05 quite a bit about this already (he really does not like them), and he had said he was going to get your opinions--I didn't take him seriously. :lol:

A good point that karamazov pointed out is you don't get the incredibly frustrated errors that make the "cut-out" (i.e. both the C3 and DCD Flashes, the C3 Batmans, Cap before the Invaders box set) not match up with the face (Havoc 05's C3 JL Batman's eyes can be seen around where his nose should be :( ), which was no error of the mask itself, but rather the printing of the face on the head.

I like the "helmet" masks. There's so much less margin for error. But I also agree with Havoc, that on some, it makes them look kinda bubble headed. And I think WWII Cap's ears stick out too much.

I LOVED the helmet look on Classic Batman (came with Clayface).

Edited by Alpheon

But...Scarlet Spider didn't have a "mask/helmet (seperate, removable-from-the-head piece)" like Havoc's talking about. Or did you mean the proper definition of the word?

:blush: I meant to say Iron Spidey. . .I can't tell one Spidey apart from another anymore.

:blush: I meant to say Iron Spidey. . .I can't tell one Spidey apart from another anymore.

Well technically Iron Spidey was also Scarlet Spider. In Avengers: The Initiative, a group of guys (clones I tink, but who isn't in the Marvel universe?) wearing the Iron Spidey armor banded togethe and called themselves Scarlet Spiders, so you were right in the first place.

Well technically Iron Spidey was also Scarlet Spider. In Avengers: The Initiative, a group of guys (clones I tink, but who isn't in the Marvel universe?) wearing the Iron Spidey armor banded togethe and called themselves Scarlet Spiders, so you were right in the first place.

Yeah, that is precisely what I meant :whistling:

I hate the full face masks on characters like Black Panther, Captain America, and Batman. The new Batmen are alot better than the C3 Versions, but I think it is the designs and expressions, more than the use of the full face mask that improves them.

Spider-Man on the otherhand, actually has a fullface mask, so it makes perfect sense to give him one. Sure the new versions will look weird next to the old versions, but unless you have a clone saga setup going on, there really doesn't seem to be a reason to display all you're Spider-Men together.

I hate the full face masks on characters like Black Panther, Captain America, and Batman. The new Batmen are alot better than the C3 Versions, but I think it is the designs and expressions, more than the use of the full face mask that improves them.

Spider-Man on the otherhand, actually has a fullface mask, so it makes perfect sense to give him one. Sure the new versions will look weird next to the old versions, but unless you have a clone saga setup going on, there really doesn't seem to be a reason to display all you're Spider-Men together.

Funny thing is: That's exactly what I've got. An army of evil Spider-Men led by my QC Ultimate Scorpian. Then I screwed around a little more and made Scorpian turn out to be Richard Parker. What other twists do I have in store for our hero? Who knows? I stopped that storyline a long time ago to make a more realistic version of the Marvel U. And that one turned out great.

I display all my Spidermen together, because I think they look cool that way. Isn't that a legit reason?

Anyway, my problem with the Spiderman is that his head looks too big with the slip on mask. Maybe it's just me:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=551

http://www.statuetoys.com/marvel-minimates...of-12-mv55.html

vs.

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=267

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=577

When I wrote earlier I neglected to mention my favorite full-masked minimate!

IRON-MAN!

While others seem to make the head look bigger, Somehow Iron-man seems correctly sized.

I think Spiderman should always have just a regular civilian head if they really must show his face.

I too am not a fan of the full face masks, but I think they work well with character like Iron Man. Iron Man wears a helmet, which is considerably thicker than a mask, so it should be bulkier (more bulky?), but Spidey wears a spandex mask, and the last time I checked, spandex wasn't bulky, but actually tight fitting.

BS

Now that I have the invaders set in my hands I can really see how they pulled off the look for the regular captain america's head. The print was nice and it fit snugly and not loose. But the classic captain america's head looked fat and big just cause it showed more of his skin and it appeared that his jaw went around his entire head. (Just to me)

Anyway the rest of the set was nice... I like a lot of accesories and the shield backpacks were really cool. (Bucky has a shield?)

the wing appendages on Namor were nice For like a custom of mercury or something but seemed quite strange to have it in seperate pieces. (although that would require a new mold)

And the human torch was cool although I have yet to get his hands out of the fire attachments.

Overall I can see that the indeed can pull off a full face mask succesfully. (Although I'm not going to get Iron-man armor)

edit: also Alpheon got me a five pack of cylons for 2.95 or so.... I'm just bragging there.

Edited by Havoc 05

i got to disagree with you rad after getting the invaders i do not like the slip over mask for cap, both versions would have been better with a series 5 cap mask :happy:

hey red spade if you are looking to get rid of your modern cap head...pm me I would pay a good price for a back up one

moc847

I think it's all in the placement of the eyes on the masks. Ever see (even though it's not the same) the packaging for the Spiderman 3 preview pack compared to what the figures actually look like? I remember seeing different versions of Ironman from the Civil War boxset.

imcomparisonfw1.th.jpg

Edited by Zombieboyfiend

I still love the Cap with the removable cowl. It just looked cool to se something like that in such a little plastic body. That Cap just looks awesome. How many were there. Three right? The normal one, the beat up one and the "modern" one from the New Avengers line. Oh and the Modern Iron Man helmet sucks. The eyes are all wrong.

Edited by rx78jj

I still love the Cap with the removable cowl. It just looked cool to se something like that in such a little plastic body. That Cap just looks awesome. How many were there. Three right? The normal one, the beat up one and the "modern" one from the New Avengers line. Oh and the Modern Iron Man helmet sucks. The eyes are all wrong.

IMHO only due to them reusing the old Ironman helmet.

How many were there. Three right? The normal one, the beat up one and the "modern" one from the New Avengers line.

Plus the Ultimate Avengers II DVD exclusive with the fat face. There is also zombie Colonel America, but he has a sculpted head.

I really like these, because it makes quick customs all the easier. You can take the head that comes with, say, Invaders Cap and pop it on another body to have Steve Rogers, and you can put any old leftover head underneath. It makes the civies seem more "official".

I also think it looks better, in most cases, for characters that don't have full face masks. It doesn't work on the Iron Spidey figure very well because now his neck is exposed, when we all know that no Spidey costume shows any flesh.