UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST making ST (TOS) bridge plaset for their mego figures.

It seems that our good buddies over at DST are going to be releasing a Star Trek bridge playset for their Mego Trek line. This is disappointing news, as DST has gone on record saying that a ST TOS minimate bridge playset is will never happen. C'mon DST our Trekmates need a bridge plaset! ;)

Can Megos possibly sell better than minimates? I can believe DST doesn't think a minimate-scale bridge would be profitable, but it's hard to believe a Mego-scale bridge would be. To be fair though, that bridge looks pretty cheap, so they might be able to make money at a $60 price tag.

Can Megos possibly sell better than minimates? I can believe DST doesn't think a minimate-scale bridge would be profitable, but it's hard to believe a Mego-scale bridge would be. To be fair though, that bridge looks pretty cheap, so they might be able to make money at a $60 price tag.

Well, DST is tapping into the Mego-collector market with this set, which is probably larger than the Minimate collector market (not positive, but that would be my guess). Plus, aren't Mego's approximately the size of the large Star Trek figures that DST has released? If so, then collectors of those figures could also use those sets. So, even if the re-released Megos don't sell that well, there are others out there who might buy those sets.

On another note, would anyone else here be interested in DC/Marvel Mego re-releases? Maybe with slightly different sculpts/outfits so that there wouldn't be an issue with bums trying to pass off the re-releases as the real deal? I know that I would jump on some Teen Titans Megos, since the originals are SO damn expensive.

Edited by karamazov80

It seems that our good buddies over at DST are going to be releasing a Star Trek bridge playset for their Mego Trek line. This is disappointing news, as DST has gone on record saying that a ST TOS minimate bridge playset is will never happen. C'mon DST our Trekmates need a bridge plaset! ;)

I wouldn't call the news disappointing -

First - the Mego Trek was really the first real ST action figures with pretty good sculpts, great accessories for the time and cloth uniforms. I had a set with the bridge when I grew up and they were my favorite toy. If I weren't collecting a couple of lines, like minimates, I'd be jumping all over those retro figures - especially since the HTF aliens are available AND all the characters that we wish were made in the 70's (Chekov, Khan, Sulu). Don't under estimate the market for such a great, nostalgia item.

Secondly - this bridge and most of the work for these is "low hanging fruit" - the line is mostly designed and with a couple of exceptions, the actual creative and design work is done - that's a huge advantage for getting these into the market. It's just finding a manufacturer.

It's disappointing that the minimate bridge is unlikely, but I wouldn't interpret this news that DST is putting more focus on retro than minimates - it is, afterall a business decision - they have an opportunity to make something that people want, without all the work.

Cheers to DST for getting the rights to bring these back.

After the last attempt at an environment for minimates failed miserably, I highly doubt we'll see another try - no matter what the property.

Sad, but true. However it certainly wasn't from lack of interest, but rather from DST's lame execution of said environment. Overpriced, clunky solid resin in an uninspiring configuration doesn't really work well for 'mates IMHO. The closest thing we'll ever get is that AMT/Ertyl 'Command Bridge' model (which is awesome BTW!) and Playmate's 'Galileo' shuttlecraft . Looks like TNG (and beyond) will have to get creative with the LEGOs, sheet styrene, cardboard, whatever it takes. I'm sure with all of the talent out there someone will come up with something inspiring!

*BTW, are there photos of DST's MEGO Bridge, or is this a straight re-release of the original vinyl-covered cardboard playsets (I remember having these as a kid. Yeah, I'm a bit "seasoned"!)?

Whilst I totally agree ,it is perhaps because DST realise the existence of the ERTL Enterprise & accept that they are unlikely to better it for $30-40. The existence of this item is well-documented but here's a link to an ebay item which deserves the plug purely because of the outstanding pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMT-Enterprise-Comma...1QQcmdZViewItem