UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Different Plastic? SDCC 08

A friend of mine was awesome enough to grab me a red blank from the SDCC. I was soooooooooooo happy when he gave it to me. I alm ost cried...just a little...inside...Anyway, of course I had to open it immediately to proudly stand next to my ECCC blanks on my computer shelf.

And I noticed something......it was....softer....smoother....almost like silk....did anyone else notice this? Or am I the onlyone with the sin of opening these little treasures?

I think its a different type of plastic? AND I think they were clear and painted red cause when I take it appart the "spine" is clear "white" at the top.

Now I just need the light blue, yellow, and light green...

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!...and europe and those loser countries too.... :P

They've been using new plastics on minimates for awhile, guess it makes sense that the blanks would change plastic type aswell. I gotta say I miss the old hard/shiny plastic.

i have to differ i just managed to get yellow daredevil and elektra and the quality is way below my yummy new marvel zombies(cant complain still wicked mates and one of my grails WOOT)

Chuck explained at the Minimates panel that they had to switch to a new plastic to comply with new UK and CA laws that legislate what can be in the plastics so they are safe for kids. I forgot the specific item that can't be in the plastic anymore.

Phthalate is perhaps the chemical 'hinted' at. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/15/...=Health_3366238

Phthalate softens plastic & is perhaps used in the accessories in 'Mates rather than the figures themselves.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Chuck explained at the Minimates panel that they had to switch to a new plastic to comply with new UK and CA laws that legislate what can be in the plastics so they are safe for kids. I forgot the specific item that can't be in the plastic anymore.

Phthalate is perhaps the chemical 'hinted' at. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/15/...=Health_3366238

Phthalate softens plastic & is perhaps used in the accessories in 'Mates rather than the figures themselves.

Yeah, that's what he said. I couldn't remember the wrod. I am sure he is said that is why the minimates themselves feel different. Did anyone else here go? Maybe they can remember better. I was drooling at the time because the Attack of the Show panel was next in that same room and I was dying to see Olivia Munn.

That and I was so happy to see Digger. I haven't seen him in years. I didn't know he was finally coming back to the States for SDCC.

Wizard World Chicago they had a couple paint tests I saw. Loose, clear red, clear and clear blue. They said they were trying something new for clear parts. Cast in clear plastic then using a clear red or clear blue or clear X paint over it to give it the right look.

Maybe it won't last who knows!?

• 4 weeks later...
Wizard World Chicago they had a couple paint tests I saw. Loose, clear red, clear and clear blue. They said they were trying something new for clear parts. Cast in clear plastic then using a clear red or clear blue or clear X paint over it to give it the right look.

Maybe it won't last who knows!?

They are nice. I think the new paint scheme is no worse than before....hopefully I can get the whole set someday.

Edited by Galactusmate