UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Universe 3.75" Figures

Yeah, if Hasbro put a little more effort into making these quality figures--better paint apps and higher quality plastic--I would be all over them. Based on the prototypes and sculpts, I was really excited about the Hulk/Cyclops 2-pack. And then, I saw them in the store. Pathetic. They look like the cheap knock-off toys you see at the dollar store. Screw that.

I'll buy the one with Hawkeye when it comes out, but only because Hawkeye's awesomeness can transcend a $h!tty, ridiculously overpriced toy.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, actually I prefer the Secret Wars winged Captain America & fiery Human Torch over the carded figures. I also thought their Hulk looked better and I hadn't gotten Spidey yet, so it all worked out for me.

I, too, prefer those and waited to get comic packs instead of picking up the singles.

As to the paint apps and quality, they wouldn't be so bad if the price weren't so high. You'd think for what you're paying that the quality would be better. But, I will continue to pick these up because they're 3 3/4 scale and I can't resist that. I just keep hoping they'll improve with time.

I just keep hoping they'll improve with time.

I think they will. Some look better than others. The latest wave of carded figures had good paint jobs IMO. Vision, Warpath and Sunfire all had great paint jobs and if you look at Jean's face as compared to say, Scarlett from G.I. Joe, it's pretty decent for a 3.75 figure. If you look at the detail of these compared to the 3.75 figures I grew up with in the 70's...they're superior IMO.

I think the single pack figures look to be much better, quality-wise, than the comic packs. Similar to the way the 25th Joes worked, though their comic pack figures were never this bad. Unfortunately, the best molds are being used with the comic packs.

As for the figures from the 70s, that might be the case, but the 80s Joes were so much better than these in terms of their paint and plastic. Plus, there is greater articulation in newer figures, but I don't know that the small detail work is notably better than what we had 25 years ago.

Yeah, my 2 wally's has at least 20 together.

You really have to look for them, they're not with the single pack figs. Both of my walmarts have them located the isle adjacent to the figs, with the crappy role play ninja swords and whatnot.

I got the 4'' figs that come in the set in a trade, and while the Ironman is awesome, the Bucky SUCKS. I hate the body-buck with an all-out passion.

Yeah, if Hasbro put a little more effort into making these quality figures--better paint apps and higher quality plastic--I would be all over them. Based on the prototypes and sculpts, I was really excited about the Hulk/Cyclops 2-pack. And then, I saw them in the store. Pathetic. They look like the cheap knock-off toys you see at the dollar store. Screw that.

I'll buy the one with Hawkeye when it comes out, but only because Hawkeye's awesomeness can transcend a $h!tty, ridiculously overpriced toy.

Agreed, Hasbro is extremely incompetent and/or sloppy when it comes to the paint quality. Do they even check these things before they're released? They are also overpriced.

Even so, I do enjoy the MU figures a lot, notwithstanding these issues.

• 2 months later...

I picked up 2 of the new Secret Wars 2-packs last week:

Piledriver: You shot me man! That's cold.

post-2001-1266863427_thumb.jpg

Hawkeye: That's right beeyyoootchh!!!

post-2001-1266863493_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find Thor and Enchantress & had to order them off of e-bay....bleechhh.

They've already been shipped though, so I'll post a pic when I get them.

Ummm... How does Hawkeye fire arrows from that bow?

The string of the bow has been coated with a serum developed by Mr. Fantastic called Sue Juice which makes it invisible to the naked eye. Reed won't reveal how he discovered it and unfortunately (since Ultron is killing him in the background) it is a one time deal.

The string of the bow has been coated with a serum developed by Mr. Fantastic called Sue Juice which makes it invisible to the naked eye......

I suppose if you could stretch any part of your body as long as you wanted you might discover some new stuff too. :D

Can't you just see the horrified look on Hawkeye's face when Reed informs him that his bow string has been coated in "Sue Juice"?

I gotta say, I'm really digging these shots of the Secret Wars packs. They would make a nice 80's-themed complement to my ever-growing GI Joe 25th collection.

I don't have any Secret Wars packs yet, but would like to pick up all 12 sets. If anyone can help me out, I'd trade generously from my Minimates Haves list. Check the link in my sig!

Sometimes, it's the little details that make all the difference. And sometimes, a company known for missing the mark gets something right.

Case in point- the Absorbing Man's pants. There have been several Absorbing Man Action figures over the years. And most, taking the time to read over his origin somewhere in the design process, put him in either orange or black and white striped prison pants. Makes sense after all, Carl "Crusher" Creel was empowered by Loki while in prison, and wore his prison issue pants for most of his early adventures. In fact, after a very brief period of trying a costume, he switched back to a pair of pants that reminded him of his prison clothes. And out here in the world, prisoners usually wear orange jumpsuits, or way back in the day black and white stripes. But here's the thing... Creel's prison outfit was lavender with little black horizontal stripes. Why? You'd have to ask Kirby. But that's the way they look. 90% of the Absorbing Man's appearances, he's wearing lavender pants. And yet, this is the first Absorbing Man figure with comics accurate pants. I may have to buy it, just on comics nerd principle.

oh i thought ultron was dancing with mister fanastic, whoops

hang on if ultron really is killing mister fanastic, why is hawkeye just standing there oblivious? :huh:

Edited by kurtman

oh i thought ultron was dancing with mister fanastic, whoops

hang on if ultron really is killing mister fanastic, why is hawkeye just standing there oblivious? :huh:

Well, originally I had in mind the battle scene in which the heroes are attacking the super villain base. That was the issue that Hawkeye really did shoot Piledriver with an arrow... and lots of characters were fighting in the background.

Maybe he's too busy enjoying shooting Piledriver to notice.

Edited by Chazwinski