UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What Are You Playing

neolego

Can anyone recommend a "pick up and play" cheaper DS game that's widely available? I just beat Elite Beat Agents, so I'm looking for another game like that. I want to play Scribblenauts, but can't seem to find it anymore....

Hmmm pick up and play and DS.I bassicaly have been playing non pick up and play games when I play DS but,warioware D.I.Y looks cool

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone recommend a "pick up and play" cheaper DS game that's widely available? I just beat Elite Beat Agents, so I'm looking for another game like that. I want to play Scribblenauts, but can't seem to find it anymore....

Can't find it? Weird. Do you have a Gamestop or Best Buy around? If they don't have it in storre, they can probably order it for you. My local Target has tons of the bloody thing.

Edited by Trekker 42

Can't find it? Weird. Do you have a Gamestop or Best Buy around? If they don't have it in storre, they can probably order it for you. My local Target has tons of the bloody thing.

Oddly, I've been to one Gamestop and two Targets browsing games, and have not seen it. I haven't checked Best Buy, but they rarely have any DS games on sale

Oddly, I've been to one Gamestop and two Targets browsing games, and have not seen it. I haven't checked Best Buy, but they rarely have any DS games on sale

Eh, ask them about it. They'll get it in.

I'm not sure what your definition of "pick up and play" is. When it comes to the DS that is basically every game. Honestly, in the middle of any game if you need to quit just close the screen and next time you pick it back up you are ready to play. However, if you are talking about "pick up and play" as in no story or structure but just fun gameplay you are looking for a puzzle type game. Here are some ones I'd reccomend on the cheap:

Brain Age 2

-If you don't know anything about the Brain Age games, they are basically learning exercises made fun. It's the definition of Pick up and Play for the casual market and is cheap for $20. If you want to even go cheaper you can pick up Brain Age 1 for closer to $10.

Disney Meteos

-Meteos is probably my favorite puzzle game since Tetris. In this version you line up Disney character blocks to rocket lines of blocks at Metetors. It's addicting, fast paced, and a lot of fun.

Puzzle Quest

-While Puzzle Quest may be a harder game to find, it's one of the best. It's a Bejeweled style of game with a huge role playing storyline. You create a character and follow the story's progression but all battle is handled on the Puzzle Board. It's also one of the best on the DS.......and any platform for that matter! It is worth noting that Puzzle Quest 2 is coming out shortly, but of course you are looking for cheap.

Warrioware Touched

-Earlier someone mentioned Warrioware D.I.Y., which is a FANTASTIC game. It is also a new release making the price close to $40 right now. For under $20 you can get the first Warrioware release for DS that is still my favorite of the Warrioware series. It's huge with a ton of challenges and it's worth owning for any DS player. It is still one of the best uses of the touchscreen to date.

CrossworDS

-Not much explination needed, this is Crosswords done with the touchscreen on the DS. There are a ton of puzzles that will keep you busy for months. If you like crosswords at all this is worth owning. It's simple, easy to pick up and play, and always worth going back to.

Picross DS

-I've mentioned Puzzle Quest and Meteos already, but Picross is another one of my favorite Puzzle games. You are basically filling in a pixeled picture using a puzzle system. I would say this is another Must Own for DS players.

Nintendogs

-If you don't know what Nintendogs is I won't spend lines and lines to explain. It's basically the single best animal sim ever made. It was the game that I remember playing on my DS and thinking, "this is the future". While it has some age on it, it's one of the first games to showcase the touchscreen and to this day still does a fantastic job doing it! Plus, it's a chick magnet :).

Also, not as "casual" but still some of the best on the system on the cheap:

Sonic Rush

-It's the classic Sonic that we grew up with. 2D and fast. It's a platform game with not much story or length. It's easy to pick up and play for a while and great to replay time and time again. It's been the best Sonic released since the Sega Genesis! There is also a sequel, but again it cost more.

Warrio MoD

-Warrio MoD is a standard 2D sidescrolling game (much like the afore mentioned Sonic or Classic Mario). However, it is colored with zany flair as only Warrio can. You can switch costumes and do several key things outside of run and jump. It doesn't make much use of the Touchscreen but it's fun to play at any time.

Advance Wars DS and Advance Wars DoR

-I can't complete a list without Advance Wars. You can actually own both DS games used for under $20. Advance Wars is probably my favorite handheld series ever and that is saying a lot. The games are turn based strategy on a grid board. You play as an army trying to save the world. You capture cities, bases, airports, harbors, etc. You make soliders, tanks, planes, etc. and to carry out each mission to complete the objective. It's pretty easy to pick up and play and it will last you a long time. Again, I wouldn't normally include this game with a list of someone asking for "Pick Up and Play" games, however, as a fan I can't complete a list without at least mentioning the game. If you haven't played any of the GBA or DS version, it's worth a look!

Well, I hope that helps. neo

The TouchMaster series is pretty much filled with games that you've probably seen before.

Rhythm Heaven is another fairly easy game.

Brain Age 2

-If you don't know anything about the Brain Age games, they are basically learning exercises made fun. It's the definition of Pick up and Play for the casual market and is cheap for $20. If you want to even go cheaper you can pick up Brain Age 1 for closer to $10.

Not so much a game as a guilt trip. Heaven help you if you don't pick it up for a few days, as the condescending professor will comment on how you aren't brain training often enough.

Still, the games/training exercises are pretty approachable.

Edited by drgnrbrn316

Finally got Call of Duty 4. Awesome!

lol, little late, but good games never go outta style! :)

I am actually looking forward to May for several reasons. Mostly right now Red Dead Redemption and 3D Dot Game Heroes. I'm also keeping a close eye on Iron Man 2. The first game was not very good, but there is just something about Iron Man that I love and it makes me want to buy the game anyway, lol. Hopefully this one will be semi-decent. neo

After watching the GOW3 trailer and picking up the rest of the latest wave of figures I decided to go back and play 2 again :D I mainly play at night once everyone is asleep. Of course now I need to find my cheat sheet for the clues in the game.

Edited by The_Donster

Yeah, I'm cheap and picked this up on Gamestop's last sale for $20. I didn't know if CoD4 was better than CoD: MW, so I got 4. If anyone is still playing it, send me a PM for some online mayhem!

Yeah, I'm cheap and picked this up on Gamestop's last sale for $20. I didn't know if CoD4 was better than CoD: MW, so I got 4. If anyone is still playing it, send me a PM for some online mayhem!

Just to clarify for everyone, CoD4 is CoD: MW. It goes like this:

Call of Duty (Infinity Ward)

Call of Duty 2 (Infinity Ward)

Call of Duty 3 (Treyarch)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare (Infinity Ward)

Call of Duty 5: World at War (Treyarch)

Call of Duty 6: Modern Warefare 2 (Infinity Ward)

Again, no big deal, but make sure you are inviting people to the right game ;). I, personally, have gotten back into the Halo multiplayer so I'll have to pass. And with Reach Beta coming in a few weeks I may not be playing CoD again for a while! neo

Edited by neolego

My friend and I just played through Left 4 Dead 2's new DLC campaign, The Passing. It was SO FUN!

I am actually at a cross roads. I have deal with several issues concerning my gaming habits. The most important was achievements and I've come to the conclusion that I am not a fan. I have been playing more and more on my PS3 and I really like it. Before I would only buy games for my 360 based on achievements but I had to take a long look and realize that I was spending money and time to earn a score that means.....wait for it........NOTHING!! So, I have offically decided that I'm switching teams. From now on I will only play Cross-Platform stuff on my PS3. I actually came close to just getting rid of my Xbox all together, but with Reach Fable III and all of my Arcade stuff I realized quick that was just a stupid idea, lol. But for now, I'm a Playstation Fanboy who happens to own an Xbox 360. Just thought I'd share that.

With that being said, I'm going tonight to pick up Uncharted, inFamous, and Little Big Planet. neo

I am actually at a cross roads. I have deal with several issues concerning my gaming habits. The most important was achievements and I've come to the conclusion that I am not a fan. I have been playing more and more on my PS3 and I really like it. Before I would only buy games for my 360 based on achievements but I had to take a long look and realize that I was spending money and time to earn a score that means.....wait for it........NOTHING!! So, I have offically decided that I'm switching teams. From now on I will only play Cross-Platform stuff on my PS3. I actually came close to just getting rid of my Xbox all together, but with Reach Fable III and all of my Arcade stuff I realized quick that was just a stupid idea, lol. But for now, I'm a Playstation Fanboy who happens to own an Xbox 360. Just thought I'd share that.

With that being said, I'm going tonight to pick up Uncharted, inFamous, and Little Big Planet. neo

Ummm... Neo, Trophies on PS3 are exactly the same. :huh:

On another note, I have a friend who struggled with the same thing. He did sell his 360, but eventually bought one again. I guess it just boils down to the question:

Why are you gaming? Is it to accomplish or earn something? Cause then there are several other things you can do that are more worthwhile.

If it's to have fun playing a game, just play. I mean, you can turn notifications off and forget about achievemebts completely.

For me achievements only matter when they involve playing the game in a new and interesting way. Halo 3 and ODST have perfect examples of this. "Annual" for instance in Halo 3 tells you to play 4player campaign on the last level on legendary with "Iron skull" activated... And to finish the level in Ghosts.

It tells people a fun new way to play the they probably would've never thought of.

It's the same with ODST. "Deja Vu" requires you to play though the last level on mongooses with infinite rockets in 4 player on legendary with Iron skull on.

Perfect examples of how achievements can encourage and get the word out on fun new ways to play.

In the end though, it's really up to you. If you actually want to go to PS3's camp, do it. You don't need an excuse... And as far as excuses go achievements are existent on both platforms, so that one doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

"Scroll Up"

Dude, you are right about trophies. I guess I didn't explain myself in great detail. I actually found myself ONLY playing games for achievements.

A couple of weeks ago I started playing Peggle (which is a game I LOVE). Once I started the game the first thing I did was hit the guide button, scroll over to the achievement list, and see which one I wanted to try for. There really wasn't as easy one to get and I didn't have a lot of time to invest so I actually quit playing the game and looked for something I could get an easy achievement for. Then I stopped and said "What am I doing?!" Peggle is a great game and playing games has always been about the fun you get from actually playing the game. You can look at my game profile, I've played Avatar and NBA 2Ksomething and several other very bad games just to get more gamerscore. That is not the way I think games were meant to be played and it really changed my outlook on the whole thing.

To bring it full circle, I own a PS3 and have for 2 years and I don't own 1 game, because every time I went to buy a game and spend my hard earned money I asked myself, do I want to play something on the PS3 or do I want something I can add to my gamescore with. Needless to save I've missed all the great PS3 exclusives and have offically changed my stance. I'm not jumping sides (maybe only temporarily) and playing some of the great exclusives that the black box has to offer. I'm sure I'll still be splitting time with Halo: Reach, but for the forseeable future I'll be on the PSN!

On the subject of Monster Hunter, what do you think Trekker? My problem right now is money and time. When I have money to buy games I RARELY look at the Wii section and then when I have time it's normally spend on LIVE (but soon PSN, lol). Anyway, I have to say I'm pretty interested in Monster Hunter. I like the idea, but I heard it was really hard. What are your impressions so far?

neo

"Scroll Up"

On the subject of Monster Hunter, what do you think Trekker? My problem right now is money and time. When I have money to buy games I RARELY look at the Wii section and then when I have time it's normally spend on LIVE (but soon PSN, lol). Anyway, I have to say I'm pretty interested in Monster Hunter. I like the idea, but I heard it was really hard. What are your impressions so far?

neo

Sorry to say I haven't started yet. What with the school bomb threats and Avatar and being at my grandmother's house (Wii is not there) and other lovliness... However I have heard the same thing you have but also that it's one of the most rewarding experiences ever. And that Tri is the easiest one yet. So... when I start I'll tell ya for sure.

(Yeah, all of that stuff abolve happened just today. It's been a happy smiley day.)

So, Monster Hunter...

Yeah. It's difficult, it's involved, there's a steep learning curve...

That being said this game is freakin awesome! So much to do, so much to see, so much to kill and I've barely even started. It has really impressive graphics as far as Wii goes... and it's just really quite fun. I'm looking forward to online play honestly and I rarely if ever play online.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty addicted to GOW2 horde multiplayer at the moment. Although I do get a little pissed at the folks or kids who come on and constantly pause the game. I had someone who made it so bad that I had to leave the game. Every 15 seconds they would pause the game. On the brightside I've had more positive members who know how to team up to get the job done.