UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What Are You Playing

neolego

Went on a slight splurge and got MVC3.

Fuck. Yeah.

Seriously it's just... fuck yeah. I mean I've never played any of the others so I don't know how fuckyeahrific they are. But this game is just so much fun to play. I have no idea what I'm doing (hitting buttons mostly) but I'm still enjoying it enough that it just doesn't matter.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I lucked out and found an open box PS3 160gb at Target last night for $210. Of course it doesn't play the one friggin ps2 game I still have (MvC2) :glare:, so any suggestions for good games from the Playstation Store (obviously besides MvC2)?

I LOVE the PSN. Here are some suggestions:

Exclusives

-Joe Danger: Think Trials HD meets Excitibike

-Pixel Junk Shooter: Twin stick shooter, mission structure, rescue astronauts.

-Back to the Future The Game: Just released last night, the first episode is free, the full game (5 episodes is $20). It's classic point and click and so far it's really good!

-Last Man: Probably cheap now, it's a satellite top down game where you are a hero rescuing citizens from the Zombie apocalypse.

Cross-Platform (Not sure if you have XBLA stuff)

-Castle Crashers: Classic Beat'm Up.

-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: Top down, twin stick shooter with b**bs.

-Stacking: Just came out but it's a lot of fun, solve puzzles with Russian dolls.

-Costume Quest: Not halloween anymore, but still fun. It's a traditional type RPG game.

-Braid: Again, it's an oldie but a fantastic time warping platformer!

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. I'll post anymore if they come to mind! neo

I have to disagree with Neo. (You're not shocked are you? It's been FOREVER since we had a good debate)

I HATE the Playstation Network!!!!

It is the least user friendly interface ever! The most frustating online store ever!

That said, there are 5 games you should grab:

-Back To The Future Pt1

-Castle Crashers

-Fat Princess

-Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Ummmm... I all of a sudden forgot my 5th, but

-Costume Quest is also great!

So I lucked out and found an open box PS3 160gb at Target last night for $210. Of course it doesn't play the one friggin ps2 game I still have (MvC2) :glare:, so any suggestions for good games from the Playstation Store (obviously besides MvC2)?

The newer PS3s aren't backwards-compatible, because Sony didn't want to spend the $27 to make that possible. If you want to play your MvC2 copy, you'll have to get one of the very first PS3s, or just play on a PS2 if you don't want to download it.

As for good games, I really like Crystal Defenders and Mega Man 10. And there's also a ton of PS1 games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PSOne_Classics

My favorite out of those is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

I have to disagree with Neo. (You're not shocked are you? It's been FOREVER since we had a good debate)

I HATE the Playstation Network!!!!

It is the least user friendly interface ever! The most frustating online store ever!

So, the gauntlet has been cast!

I actually won't disagree that the PSN is great, it's perfectly acceptable in my book. However, to clarify my comment, I was actually talking more about the platform of downloadable games more than the actual service. I am a huge arcade game fan and spend the majority of my time playing both XBLA and PSN titles, so in that regard I love PSN.

I still say that XBLA and Steam do such an amazing job as online game store services that the PSN does look really weak, but my biggest complaint with the PSN store is that it's only updated once a week at some random time late in the afternoon on Tuesday. It's so annoying to really we wanting a games (*cough*backtothefuture*cough*) and basically just sit around after work waiting until Sony decided it's a good time to update. It's a huge pain. Anyway, that's my two cents. neo

I have found the PSN arcade/downloads section to be very strangely set-up, and not user-friendly at all. Doesn't seem like it should be very complicated to make that simple and intuitive. I haven't turned my XBox on for probably a year (edit: that's not true--I'm pretty sure my Red Dead Redemption is on there, but anyway. . .), but I don't remember it being difficult to find games there.

Edited by karamazov80

The newer PS3s aren't backwards-compatible, because Sony didn't want to spend the $27 to make that possible.

Thankfully I knew about this before I got the PS3, but still find it very annoying and slack on Sony's part. I don't see any reason why they would not want to include this for the newer systems. Honestly this was one major thing that kept me from getting a PS3 (until I saw MvC2 was available for download). Well that and waiting to find it at a cheap price. Of course I'm kicking myself now for getting rid of my PS1 copies of MvC1 and MvSF.

My favorite out of those is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Ahh, one of the few Castlevania games I haven't played, definitely looking forward to getting this one.

I too have found the PSN not so easy to navigate, a simpler design/setup would have helped. That and I'm going to have to work with the parental controls on that thing, my 7yr old daughter doesn't need to be able to browse and see the Sexy Santa themes <_< First time in my life I've had to mess with parental controls on video game system :(

Thanks for the suggestions for the games, I'm going to check those out. Anyone have suggestions for good games for kids on the PSN?

I don't see any reason why they would not want to include this for the newer systems.

"Follow the money" ;)

I'm pretty sure there are PS1 and PS2 games for sale on the PSN. Thus. . .backwards compatibility goes the way of the dodo.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm reasonably sure that they axed the backwards compatibility initially for cost cutting measures. They built a machine that was unaffordable for most of the populace, so they had to cut all sorts of features just to lower the cost. Even if the cost of whatever they had to add to make it work was small, it does add up.

Since then, there's been all sorts of talk about external devices or software emulation that would make backwards compatibility possible again, but now Sony has discovered that you can just sell people the games again either as a download or in an HD bundle.

That they are still selling PS2s at this point should tell them they should reinvest in making the PS3 play PS2 games.

I like my PS3 and I've never had any issues with Sony personally, but I can completely understand the viewpoints of those who prefer X-Box or just don't like the PS3.

Oh, and I'm juggling my time between Little Big Planet 2 and Castle Crashers.

I have found the PSN arcade/downloads section to be very strangely set-up, and not user-friendly at all. Doesn't seem like it should be very complicated to make that simple and intuitive. I haven't turned my XBox on for probably a year (edit: that's not true--I'm pretty sure my Red Dead Redemption is on there, but anyway. . .), but I don't remember it being difficult to find games there.

This is 100% my point! Why is it so hard to find ANYTHING in the store. Neo is right, there are loads of great games available from PSN... But good luck finding them! Why should I have to go through a maze of menus to find a game that I'M GOING TO PAY FOR? Why are arcade demos in a different place than the games? It's ludicrous!

I'm reasonably sure that they axed the backwards compatibility initially for cost cutting measures. They built a machine that was unaffordable for most of the populace, so they had to cut all sorts of features just to lower the cost. Even if the cost of whatever they had to add to make it work was small, it does add up.

Since then, there's been all sorts of talk about external devices or software emulation that would make backwards compatibility possible again, but now Sony has discovered that you can just sell people the games again either as a download or in an HD bundle.

That they are still selling PS2s at this point should tell them they should reinvest in making the PS3 play PS2 games.

I like my PS3 and I've never had any issues with Sony personally, but I can completely understand the viewpoints of those who prefer X-Box or just don't like the PS3.

Oh, and I'm juggling my time between Little Big Planet 2 and Castle Crashers.

Both great games Bri. I should make it clear that I don't have problems with Sony OR the games on PS3, but the PS3 itself.

The dashboard is perhaps the most confusing/worst laid out menu ever designed that requires you to do "tricks" to accomplish simple tasks. Take for instance the fiasco I went through last night:

Sony Auto-charges my crdeit card for a renew membership of DCU Online. Fine, whatever. Then I go to try and buy BTTF but the PS3 says my credit card info. isn't up to date so I can't. I try and change it but I don't know my password since it auto logs in every time I turn it on. I call sony to find out how to change my password and it says you have to sign out and say "I forgot my password."

HOW DO YOU SIGN OUT!?!?!

I actually figured it out, but my point is a person shouldn't have to "figure it out." It should be intuitive like this website, or email or XBox. The dashboard is just one big mess...

AND EVERYTHING TAKES SO LONG!!!!!!! I may have said this before, but I've spent more time WAITING to play games on that system then actually playing them.

Oh, and if you're still wondering I still can't buy BTTF. For some reason it won't charge my credit card, despite the fact that they can take money out whenever THEY want.

Well, a friend of mine let me borrow Tron: Evolution, so that took up my weekend. Without writing a book, it was one of the worst games that I've played in quite some time. It's was a Techno Prince of Persia without the polish and controls. The game was loose and I died at almost every main platform. I'm not that bad a gamer, it was simply poor game design! However, I wanted to finish it for the story (what little there is) but you do find out what happened to Flynn between Tron and Legacy. All in all, I'm glad I played it and beat it, but I would never put it in my Xbox again!!

Also, I finally renewed my Gold over the weekend, so I'm looking forward to some Halo Reach and Bad Company 2 online stuff this week! neo

Just finished up Dead Space, really great game. Highly recommend it and can't wait to pick up the sequel. Speaking of which, I actually ended up with a extra copy. If anyone is interested, send me a pm ;)

The Skyrim trailer looks amazing!! With that and Mass Effect 3 this Fall/Winter, it's going to be a good year!

On another, Dragon-esque note, I finally sat down and played the Dragon Age 2 demo......and was sorely disappointed. I didn't realize it wasn't a standard action type game. You only have 6 attacks and once you use them they have to recharge before you can use them again. After all the love I have for ME2 I couldn't wait to pick up DA2.....but now I have no interest in the game whatsoever. neo

The Skyrim trailer looks amazing!! With that and Mass Effect 3 this Fall/Winter, it's going to be a good year!

On another, Dragon-esque note, I finally sat down and played the Dragon Age 2 demo......and was sorely disappointed. I didn't realize it wasn't a standard action type game. You only have 6 attacks and once you use them they have to recharge before you can use them again. After all the love I have for ME2 I couldn't wait to pick up DA2.....but now I have no interest in the game whatsoever. neo

I know what you mean with Dragon AgeII, but I'll still give it a go

Well, as you can clearly NOT see by my signature ;), I played a lot of Stacking and Plants Vs. Zombies over the weekend. I also, finally, started Halo: Reach.

First, I did start Fable III, but after 2 hours in, I find almost no desire to play it again. Not sure if that's because Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 were just so much better or Fable III is just that average, but I have no desire. So, I was sitting there Saturday with only Fable III and Reach left to play. I've held off on Reach to this point because I've played through all of the other campaign's with my Brother-In-Law previously so we were going to do the same here. However, that bum is in no hurry to buy the game so I'm left waiting. Well, no more, I started my single player campaign Saturday. And.......

I am once again reminded why Halo has lasted. The game is just stinkin fun. Reach looks amazing and plays just like it should. I've only played about an hour or so into the story, but I'm already loving it and can't believe I've waited so long. I haven't jumped into the multiplayer yet, but I will dabble a little this week and weekend, but I am going to focus on beating the single player soon, then it will be all multiplayer! Anyway, Halo is still great and I'm glad to be playing.

As a final note, I'm looking forward to several games in March. As you've seen before, I'm more hesitant on Dragon Age II so I probably won't pick that up at launch. But I will buy LEGO Star Wars III, day one. I'm also watching closly MLB2K11 and WWE All Stars. I will probably pick up MLB just because it's the only baseball game on the 360. I'm interested in WWE All Stars just because of all the fun I had with No Mercy back in college. However, I'm hoping for a demo first and if not I will rent it before I drop the money. I have no interest in wrestling, but I can't tell you how many all nighters I pulled in college just to complete a Pay Per View in No Mercy, so it has my interest.....for now. neo

Hey Neo, if you ever need another body for Reach Campaign, let me know.

The cool thing about Reach is that dificulty compunds. Two people means more opponnents and feistier ones at that.

Also, everyone PLEASE pick up BEYOND GOOD & EVIL. It hits XBL this week. It was a Zelda-ish game from a few years ago that is PHENOMENAL!!! Unfortunatley the sales sucked. The fantastic sequel got put on hold due to the crappy sales from the first one. This is our chance as a gaming community to have our say: Spend money on an awesome game so we can get more like it!!!!

Currently playing through Dragons Age: Origins and loving it!

I am also ensconced in Resi Evil 5

I have pre ordered DA2 just to get the Lion of orlais and the fearshader, the more i read and watch about it, i'm really looking forwards to it

I love RE5. So much to do in that game that people don't know. Unlike most games out there it gets MORE play value the more you play it. SO many unlockables. Not to mention multiplayer is awesome! Sure every game out there has slayer, but are zombies trying to eat all the players WHILE they fight? Didn't think so!

Once again I want to shamelessly plug Beyond Good & Evil.

I've started playing it again and "rediscovering" what made that game so good. There aren't many 7 year old games out there that I would suggest but BG&E is one of them. At least download the demo. Do it.

Once again I want to shamelessly plug Beyond Good & Evil.

I've started playing it again and "rediscovering" what made that game so good. There aren't many 7 year old games out there that I would suggest but BG&E is one of them. At least download the demo. Do it.

As soon as its available on the PSN, I'll look into it. :lol: