UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q & A #11

Shanester

Before posting here...

READ THESE RULES!!

Please, remember a few things when asking questions.

1. Make sure your question(s) has not/have not already been asked.

2. Try to keep it to 1-8 questions per member/per post.

3. Ask DST ONLY about DST licenses (ie. DST does not control DCD Minis).

4. Keep your question short and to the point. No novels or life stories.

5. If you are insulting, threatening, rude, demanding, impolite, or fail to heed any of these rules, your question will very well be deleted.

Go!

Chuck, you mentioned that you hadn't looked into doing horror minimates yet. I think Silence of the Lambs is pretty close to horror. If it sells well, would you consider looking into licenses for horror franchises like Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street?

Also, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Thanks!

First off, I apologise if any of these questions have been answered by SDCC. If they were don't feel like you have to answer them again.

1. Previews has stated that Thor will be in the Avengers boxset. Will Thor be in the Avengers boxset?

2. What comics are you currently following?

3. Is there a license that you seriously considered (other than Kellogs), not brainstorming session considered, but serious like almost in production/almost prototyped serious and didn't do, that you looked back and said "thank God we didn't do that. That was so stupid"?

4. If there was, what was it?

5. Now that you're into classic movies, is there a possibility of the Day the Earth Stood Still, Casablanca or (maybe, possibily, I wish) the original King Kong? Have any of those even come up in meetings or discussions?

6. What makes you think that the "boat has sailed" on Sinister Six? That's a classic man. That story was unforgettable.

Edited by Trekker 42

Hey guys, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions over the last Q&A's.

1, following the Madonna mate (Desperately Seeking Susan), would/have you ever considered doing a Sting mate from the 1984 film Dune? It seems like the Super Hero and Sci Fi (BSG, ST, BTTF) are the lines that stick around, and you would get the rockstar mate as well.

2, Will we ever see anything from the Marvel Max line in minimates form?

3, Any plans to expand the DST online store to sell and ship outside the USA? I would love to order things from the online store to use the DST rarities program, but living 20 minutes across the border leaves me in the dark.

4, Whatever happened to Previews re-releasing the (wizard world) Spider-man 3 preview pack?

Edited by pickle

To follow up on Pickle's post, I myself have wondered if the sales of Desperately Seeking Susan could, potentially, be the catalyst for more "Rock-'Mates" from, say, Purple Rain (Prince), the Man Who Fell to Earth (Bowie), the Man with the Golden Arm (Frank Sinatra), Brimstone and Treacle (probably be an easier license to get a hold of than "Dune" for a Sting-Mate), and, of course, Glitter (Mariah). Might something along these lines be a consideration if the Susan set's sales are sound?

hows it going guys?

how does the process go down for the movie mate boxed sets? do you guys pursue certin movies/tv shows, or do the companies only give you rights to certin moves/ tv shows?

also, any plans on new movie/tv show boxed stes, or only more continuations on the ones you have? (i would LOVE some fight club mates)

thanks!

Much gratitude for doing this. We all really appreciate it.

(just thought I'd reaffirm that one more time)

1. What prompted the cancelling of the Kelloggs 'mates?

2. How difficult would videogame licenses be to acquire? Has DST ever considered any videogame licenses (specifically for Minimates)?

Thanks again.

Edited by Alpheon

1. As far as licenses go, you guys have made some pretty diverse choices. I know you've said that you're fans of The Man With No Name, but to me it seems that as good as the movie choices have been, there are movies out there that are just as big. Could you give any particular reasons for choices like BTTF, 24, and SOTL?

2. With the return of the oh-so beloved box sets, I have to ask: How are they doing? It seems to me that box-sets would sell as well as a wave, if not better. How do they compare?

3. Why is James Rhodes the variant in Wave 23? He is FAR more recognizable than Tony in the armor. Making him the variant just seems like a pain in the butt for people who want the definitive War Machine.

4. The Hulk Moviemate prototypes seem to have been changed based DIRECTLY on complaints from fans, such as the waist piece. I will also say the Hulk looks really good now! Were these changes really influenced by us? (Will you finally admit our power? :P)

5. Do a Deadpool, seriously. Its a heck of a sad world where Tarantula and his pointy shoes get a minimate before Deadpool! Come on, he even resembles Spider-Man somewhat! :D

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

hey, this is my first time asking a question, and also, i don't know if its been asked before, but...

1) have you ever thought of making a stan and jack exclusive 2 pack? I was just thinking of this, and thought it would be awesome. What would it take to get this made, or is it out of the realm of possibility?

What are the factors that influenced the Desperately Seeking Susan 2-Pack's creation? I mean, really: why?

From Q & A #9:

What prompted the idea of Desperately Seeking Susan minimates?

DSTChuck: My wife made me?? Honestly it might seem odd to fans of more "fan" type properties BUT from buyers we've heard LOTS of cool responses due to her HUGE following and lack of merchandise PLUS the new album.

Edited by Fujis

As always, I appreciate your responsiveness to us the fans and thank you for answering our questions.

Are you considering, if sales hold, doing more Star Trek Next Generation minimates? You won't let Captain Picard and a Borg fight it out alone, will you? One wave with Ricker/Troy LaForge/Data Worf/Tasha Yar Dr. Crusher/Wesley with variants of either Lore or Romulian Tasha should meet most of fans needs. Not wants, mind you, needs.

And remember when looking for a new property, Babylon V.

Edited by Dude

-Will we see more Trek boxsets after the Mirror, Mirror set or is it dependant on how that one sells?

-Has DST ever considered doing any product based on Weird Al Yankovik? With the different parody outfits he's been in it seems that there would be enough variants to keep it from being a one-figure line.

-Are there any characters or lines that have been considered, but just didn't translate well into Minimate form?

-Which address should people e-mail DST for Princess Bride Minimates?

Edited by groundhog7s

First off, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. Its really appreciated.

1) Have you guys looked into Resident Evil? Its a successful game series with a highly anticipated new game in the works and thanks to the movies (with rumor of another one coming) its pretty well known in the mainstream; and personally I would love minimates based off it. Please? ;)

2) How about the Universal Monsters? Well-known, iconic, and, for the most part, simple. They would also be great.

3) With DC Direct quiting on DC Minimates, is there a way for you guys to get the rights for the DC movies? I figure they might be easier and cheaper than the whole DC Comics liscense, plus a number of characters are represented, such as Superman, Batman, Swamp Thing and Watchmen.

4) Any chance of seeing Planet of the Apes minimates? Does there seem to be enough interest in the retro figures to warrant them? Another classic movie that I would love to see minimated.

5) Oh and I'll show my support for Princess Bride minimates too.

Edited by The JC

First, thanks to Shane and the DST guys for allowing this opportunity - it's always interesting to see the questions posted the responses that we get back. Now for my questions:

- Have you ever considered doing a minimate line for some of the "fair use" properties that are in existence? Characters like the Fighting Yank, the Green Lama, the Black Terror, and the original Daredevil would be awesome to see in minimate form (especially the original Daredevil).

- Have you ever considered doing "real life" minimates - ala MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, etc?

- Any love for some missing mini's - say a Darkhawk, Joe Wade Scarlet Spider and/or Negative Zone Spidey? (As a HUGE Scarlet Spider fan, I would love to be able to get this last variation of the "Scarlet Spider," seeing as how we already have Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider and Initiative Scarlet Spider costumes).

What are your opinions of the following moviemate boxed sets (would DST like to do them & could you do them)?

Jaws: Chief Brody, Hooper, Quint and (if it could ever be designed and executed) a minimate shark.

Kill Bill vol 1: The Bride (house of blue leaves showdown), Oren Ishi, Go-Go Yaburi and Crazy 88 henchman (with multiple heads for customizing).

Kill Bill vol 2: The Bride (trailer fight), Elle Driver, Budd and Bill.

Robocop: Robocop, officer Lewis, Clarence Bodigger and ED-209.

Animal House: John "Bluto" Blutarsky, D-Day, Eric "Otter" Stratton , Kent "Flounder" Dorfman and Dean Vernon Wormer.

Now that we are finally getting more Spiderman villains, how about some X-Men? So far all we have are Magneto, Ultimate Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, Juggernaut, Mystique, and Apocalypse. How about villains like Mr. Sinister, a modern version of Sabretooth, Omega Red, Bastion, Blob, Avalanche, Pyro, Toad (a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants would be fantastic), Sauron, Spiral, Stryfe, Exodus, Silver Samurai, Vulcan, Ord, Danger (those last three played major roles in the X-men comics this past year). Also, are we any closer to finally getting Deadpool, Psylock, and Gambit minimates? Also since box sets are becoming more popular how about a Jim Lee style X-men set? I know that you had said no a few years ago, but things have changed since then. We have plenty of different looking Spideys, so why not the X-men. We could get Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Jubilee, and Beast, or Gambit or a new Wolverine with a retooled mask.

Will the Tarantula minimate have pointy shoes?

The photos seen upto now from places like SDCC show no points on his shoes having no points on his shoes is like having a vulture mate without any wings.