UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q & A #10 Answers

Shanester

Minimate Multiverse DST Q & A #10

Posted by: pickle

1, What is the one Marvel storyline that you would like to have made but wouldn't because the "boat has sailed on it?"

DSTChuck: Well I know some of the folks here really wanted to do a Planet Hulk box set and I guess if I could have I’d have done a Sinister Six box set.

2, Would DST (mostly as a joke) do something like a cardboard cut out of Flatman or Mr. Fantastic in minimates size and style? Or would that this idea has been done already for the Marvel Legends line make it seem a little already been done?

DSTChuck: Even if Legends had not done it I don’t think that’s something up our alley.

3, Has there ever been a Marvel character that you said, "yeah, I don't think I ever want to make a Minimate for that one"?

DSTChuck: Everyone except Spider-Man and Wolverine…. No I don’t know maybe Brother Voodoo?

DSTMatt: Deadpool. Never.

4, With Marvel having Marvel Studios for all their future feature films, does DST still need to obtain the rights from the studio distributing the film to make mates or will you be able to make anything under the Marvel Studios banner?

DSTChuck: Our license with Marvel, like any other license, is very specific to the grant SO we’d have to include the movie in our contract. There is nothing like “DST has rights to every movie we ever do” or such.

5, Have you ever considered doing a BSG character in the Marines uniform, like Starbuck from Bastille Day. The reason I ask is that it would be nice to have one character in the marines uniform so we could custom our own Colonial Army.

DSTChuck: The short answer is it’s been considered.

6, What are your feelings about having to wait until 2009 to see the rest of BSG?

DSTChuck: It makes me sad…I don’t watch a lot of TV but that’s one I look forward to. We even re-watch it in the office when it goes up on Hulu, BUT for the product and the property I think it’s good.

DSTMatt: This from the guy who already knows who the final Cylon is. For the rest of us, it’s torture.

As always, thanks for your time.

Posted by: link 46

1. Will you be selling the Comic-Con exclusive box-sets on your website?

DSTChuck: If we have stock left after the show – yes.

2. Why do Iron Man and Hulk Movie-Mates have one wave, unlike Spider-Man 3 which had 2?

DSTChuck: For Iron Man we planned other ways to get more figures out and for Hulk the movie did not seem deep enough to warrant two waves—but we can always go back and do more from either movie.

3. If you do have Halo minimates would there be vehicles?

DSTChuck: I don’t think so…

Posted by: Trekker 42

First off I must say a huge THANK YOU for the Invaders set. I hope it's available outside of Comic Con.

DSTChuck: Not sure this was a question but, some will be sold wholesale to other retailers and if we have stock left we’ll put them on our site so hopefully it won’t be crazy hard for folks that want one to get one.

Anyway, questions:

1. Seeing as you probably won't finish every bridge crew in the Trek line, which crews are you most concerned about finishing, seeing as you're pretty much done with TOS.

DSTChuck: It’s not a concern really. We’ve planned many waves of mixed figures and if sales are strong we’ll get there. Unfortunately it is just not realistic for us to commit to finishing the bridge crew for every incarnation of Trek that we choose to do a figure from BUT heck you keep buying, I’ll keep making…

2. You thought about Princess Bride? Awesome! If you did the Princess Bride, would it have been a box set or a wave of pure Princess Bride awesomeness?

DSTChuck: I think we discussed a box set with maybe an exclusive 2 pack.

3. Could you do a Zombie FF and call it Ultimate Frightful Four and get away with it? Technically it's not the Zombies, it's the Frightful Four

DSTChuck: One does not mess with one’s largest partner, so we have no interest in testing Marvel’s patience.

4. What do you think about doing a line of your own interpretation on things such as Greek Mythology or Robin Hood? As far as I know, nobody owns mythology and old legends and no license is required which is why there are so blasted many movies on those types of things. So basically, how does a license-free line sound and how well do you think it will do?

DSTChuck: We toss that stuff around ALL the time but so far Sales feels there is just not enough support for something like that.

5. Any possibility of picking up the Godzilla/TOHO license? Come on, I know you want a tiny minimate Godzilla as much as I do Chuck. Give in to your desires.

DSTChuck: While it’s true that I do love me the king of monsters I’m not sure that’s a project that will happen.

6. Who would in a fight; Spider-Man or Wolverine? (This should be an interesting answer.)

DSTChuck: Spider-Man no contest!

DSTMatt: Squirrel Girl trumps all. I mean, she took on Dr Doom!

Thanks as always,

Trekker

Posted by: Gouki

Any chance of superhero themed backdrops with C3 ground? Like scenery that is realistic looking and lego type ground?

DSTChuck: IF we were to do something like that it would increase the cost of the two packs and four packs and we’re working really hard to give all the value we can at the price we’re at… so I don’t see us going in that direction.

Thanks for answering!

Posted by: Lobsterman

Hey, Chuck–

Given the success of the Moviemates, had you considered Litmates – that is, Minimates based on classic literature? Captain Ahab! The Three Musketeers! Heck, maybe even Hamlet?

DSTChuck: One of our VP’s would love that but I’m not sure here they would find a home in the retail world.

Oh, and, per your last round of answers: Princess Bride - yes, please!

DSTChuck: IF we get enough emails like this or a retailer comes to us – you never know… they just might happen.

Keep up the great work.

DSTChuck: Thanks it’s cool that you dig what we’re doing.

Posted by: Rad

Hey Chuck, it's me, banging on about Captain Britain again.

Now that Cap B is the star of his own ongoing series is it anymore likely we'll see a Captain Britain minimate?

A yes or no answer would be nice.

DSTChuck: Would it be nice if I said “no”??

While I'm banging on about Cap B... Now that we have an Invaders box set is there any chance of seeing a Union Jack mate? He'd be a very simple conversion and that costume is wicked. He'd make a great 'mate.

DSTChuck: Union who???

Posted by: buttheadsmate

Hey Chuck, I really appreciate the proposed Invaders box-set,great idea . Here's a picture of the cover of Invaders#1

class=attach>

entitled Battle over Britain.......

.....it's beginning again! Britain is a little place where Minimates used to be sold . When we existed here, we were an all-inclusive society especially the Minimates fans. British (of Britain)Minimates fans regularly purchased Norse Gods, Latverians, Atlanteans, Russians, Red Indians, Cylons, German X-Men, Kree, Skrulls, Jews, Japanese, Chinese, Vulcans, Scots(I passed on those),Canadians, Greek assassins, Kryptonites, etc. etc. etc. .......& many, many, many American heroes in Minimate guise. I know you may not have heard of Britain but you see, I am British , I collect Minimates & I would like to have a Captain Britain Minimate which can pose next to that other British icon(?) Madonna. We all love her here. Thanks for your time.

DSTChuck: In fact I have been to Britain and I know it exists and if anyone has seen me at a con they know I admire a certain liquid import from that area – Bass…but MAN I have NO idea why MM do not sell over there. I have NO reason not to want to sell more MM and convert more to the cult but WOW you’d be surprised how FEW we sold over there the last couple years….all you need to do is convince one High Street store that MM are cool and would sell and we’d be back!

Posted by: Fo Shizzle

Have you guys given thought to a boxset from X-men Messiah Complex or Divided We Stand series? Something like the new X-Force (there are four of them! ) And thanks a lot for all the Mates we have gotten and are getting, these things have pretty much been the focus of my toy collecting ever since I saw them about a year ago. So keep making them and I'll keep buying them!

DSTChuck: None of those have really come up, sorry.

Posted by: Big Ape

Hi,

Will you try to finish Star Trek bridge crews that you have already started on? I'd really like to have finished Next Generation and Wrath of Khan crews.

DSTChuck: See answer a few questions ago.

Thanks for your time.

Posted by: karamazov80

Hi Chuck, as you likely know, one of the greatest films of the 80s, or any other decade, is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Any chance that we might see some Minimates from this classic? A Mez-Itz Leatherface was made at some point, but maybe the license has expired?

DSTChuck: We never really looked at horror that’s always something other companies have covered but you never know.

If not, how about a more obscure 80s flick, called "Ghostbusters?" Not the beloved Filmation cartoon, but the other one that, as I mentioned, was a movie. Any licensing issues that you know of that might be a problem towards making this a reality some day? Thanks!

DSTChuck: Being honest we HAVE talked to Sony from time to time about GB products, we’ve just never been able to work something out.

Posted by: Gillbob316

Howdy Chuck,

Here's mah question...

Being that I live 20 minutes away from Rosemont Illinois, where Wizard World Chicago is held, over the many years, I've always attended that con, and never had the means to fly all the way out to San Diego. As such, WWC has always been where I picked up my yearly round of con exclusives, because they've always been available there as well a bit later in the year, going all the way back to that very first Peter Parker and Mary Jane 2-Pack. This year however, a hiccup has arisen, as it occurs to me that WWC is in June, rather than August, and SDCC is in July, putting WWC before SDCC, which hasn't happened in ages...

Does this mean, as I suspect it does, that I'm completely out of luck as it pertains to this years San Diego Minimate exclusives? If they're ready in time for WWC, would they still possibly be sold there as well, as they have been in the past, or does branding them "San Diego Exclusive" pretty much guarantee they won't be available at all before that particular con? Am I going to have to wait 'til July and then chase them all down on the internet?

EDIT:

Due to the fact that Wizard World Chicago has now begun, and the New mates are nowhere to be found, this question has become largely irrelevant, but you can feel free to answer it anyway if you'd still like to...

DSTChuck : Yeah it was cool for WWC to follow SD – not too closely but we NEVER have our stuff done early, I think you know that! Last year if you looked outside the convention center on Wed you’d have seen all of us unloading the show exclusive Minimates while the truck was stopped at a stop light before the cops caught us! I know lots of MM Multiverse folks go to the show so maybe they can grab you some OR as I said above if some are left we’ll offer them on our site shortly after the show.

Posted by: Zombieboyfiend

I heard last Q & A you were throwing around the idea of The Warriors (giddy laugh) how likely will it be to see this set?

DST: IF I were inclined to say the word – which I think you all know I am not…I won’t say it BUT, put it in the class with SF2.

When a company (like AFX) get rights to an exclusive set are they the ones to pick out the figures or are they already picked?

DSTChuck: It’s a combination. They may offer suggestions or ideas and sometimes we offer them a list of our ideas to pick from.

Posted by: Lantern Returns

As an opinion, does DST see DC'mates as possibly profitable (if granted a license)?

DSTChuck: I really can’t comment on and have NO idea if those lines were profitable for DC.

Does Marvel Superhero Squad pose as a threat to your toy line? Thanks for the time and the minimates. I'm very glad that I have placed the time and money into this line of figures. I've never once regretted buying Marvel Minimates and from the first day I saw that "leaked" poster of the Marvel'mates I'm still carrying that excitement just the same. Look forward to seeing you all at SDCC. Thank you.

DSTChuck: There are lots of toy lines out there for collectors and fans to pick from and I think that’s cool. The very fact that MM is still going strong with wave 24 should make everyone feel good about it…I hope to see you at the show as well…I’m easy to find say “hi” when you’re there.

Posted by: groundhog7s

(I'm not sure I've seen this asked before, but if so, I'm sorry.)

-Has what happened with SFII soured the idea of video game based 'mates or have there just not been any licenses that have worked out for them? I'd love to see a franchise like Mortal Kombat or another video game with a lot of differing character depth in Minimate form-should I abandon all hope?

DSTChuck: We don’t do much with video games as a company BUT we will certainly continue to look at them as possible licenses.

-Also, any more word on more BTTF Minimates? The first set alone is getting harder to find and it'd be cool to see more released.

DSTChuck: We’re going to take a little break after the third set and see how demand is but BTTF has been a good franchise so far for sure!

Posted by: MINI_MYTE

Will DST have any new and exciting upcoming licensing announcements (minimate-wise) at San Diego Comic Con 2008?

DSTChuck: Yea, I think we’ll have some news if a few things we’re working on break the right way.

For that matter, will DST have any new announcements for existing minimate licenses at this years SDCC 08??

DSTChuck: We hope to have some new prototypes to show – yes.

Posted by: link 46

On AFX.com, its says to go to their booth to see a prototype minimate box set (no brand mentioned). Do you know what this may be?

DSTChuck: WHAT?!? AFX has a new set? I don’t know anything about it! What’s he talking about?! Yeah, just kidding. I do know what it is and AFX has chosen to debut it in SD.

Posted by: Trekker 42

DST Matt and Chuck: Do you have Super Smash Bros Brawl? If so, what's your friend code? I would like to face off against one of you guys.

Or Both.

DSTChuck: I can’t speak for Matt but no I don’t.

DSTMatt: Sorry, I’m a PS2 boy still.

Posted by: Shanester

Are boxsets becoming the format for future waves (regular releases) or are they going to remain separate entities?

DSTChuck: The two packs are not going anywhere.

As always, thanks for entertaining our fan-boy questions. See you in SD.

DSTChuck: I can only hope you’re entertained by the answers.