UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Joe Hill's Custom X-Men Movie Mates

Here is my X-Men Movie Mates collection, the majority of which I had to create since the X3 mates were only one wave. :(

NOTE: All the images are clickable and become bigger.

THE X-MEN

Most of the X-Men Bodies are modified X3 bodies.

th_X-Group1.jpg

I did Iceman in mid-transformation mode and Jean got an X-Suit with modified hair for better articulation.

th_X-Group2.jpg

Wolverine has a New X-Men head cause I thought it resembled Jackman more. I thought Colossus looked cooler in X2, so I based his look a bit more off of that. Kitty looks a bit more like her comic book counterpart than Ellen Page, but I am okay with that.

th_X-Group3.jpg

Psylocke, Gambit, and Jubilee are all based off simple looks, so they fit in with the movieverse more. I didn't like how they did Psylocke in X3, so I modified how I think she should have been portrayed. Jubilee's look is based off the X-Men Legend video game. Gambit will likely be updated/replaced when the new Wolverine movie comes out. I just added them in since I was showing the rest of my X-Men customs/collection.

THE BROTHERHOOD

th_Brotherhood1.jpg

th_Brotherhood2.jpg

I was tempted to buy the Dark Phoenix variant, but I didn't really like the translucent look. So I modified a Street Fighter head and gave her new hair. Plus a customized a Phoenix stand, with the Phoenix bird coming out of the back. I am happy with that.

Their big confrontation.

th_IcemanvsPyro.jpg

Group Shot (and fun with photoshop)

th_X-MenComic.jpg

Anyways, hope you like them!

Edited by Joe Hill

Wow, those are really great Joe. You can tell that a lot of thought and effort went into them, and it paid off. I particularly like the Iceman ice-shading, and some of the likenesses (Angel, Pyro, etc.). Great Jubilee, Gambit, and Psylocke, too. I would buy figures that looked like those in a second.

:woot: super cool nice job joe nice job indeed. love your psylocke and gambit... I wonder if DST ever thought of making a Gambit?

:wallbash:

As Joe says, I bet we will get one with the inevitable Wolvie-movie mates that come out 4 months after the movie next year. Plus, I am fairly confident that at least one of the forthcoming "box sets" that we get will be X-Men related. I'm hoping for a "first appearance" X-Men, but a 1990s X-Men set (with Gambit, Psylock, and, say, Forge and another Wolvie or something) wouldn't be shocking to me, either.

Thanks for all the great compliments everyone! I'm glad you liked them! For some reason I thought people wouldn't, it seems like people don't like the movie mates as much as the comic based ones.

sir_danez, I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember the head origin exactly, but I am pretty sure it is Hawkgirl. The hair is a modified X3 Storm, I basically I gave her extensions. I had a lot of extra Storm-hair due to me buying extra Storm/Colossus mates to make the rest of the X-Men. The body is Ms. Marvel, with the lightening bolt gone.

I agree karamazov80, I think DST is actually holding off on any Gambit mates until the Wolverine movie is closer... likely so they can profit off of his popularity spike he is sure to get when the film is released. I mean look at all the Iron Mans that are being released!

Edited by Joe Hill

I particularily love the Mystique for obvious reasons. The entire group is amazing and the first X-Men group are the standout best.

The only one who was obviously questionable for me was Toad. Isn't his face green in the movie? Still, nice use of Hulk's hair. Magneto is a little off to, but lets just say that I'd gladly buy the entire wave especially if Magneto was packaged with someone like Mystique which I think is likely.

How would you pair these guys up anyway Joe?

Keep it up man

T42

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments!! They make me happy. :D

thanx a whole bunch joe :D you know when the picard minimate comes out you can use that for your movie Prof x

That is a good idea! I am happy with the brown suit, but the Picard head would make Xavier perfect! Does anybody want an extra Star Trek suit and whoever Picard is paired with? I just want the head.

Very nice, but...well...

Kitty. Is she "phasing" into the ground, or did the previous Shadowcat actresses get so pissed with her they gnawed her feet off? :blink:

Haha! Kitty is supposed to be "phasing"... if it helps, she does have a pair of feet if necessary. :)

I particularily love the Mystique for obvious reasons. The entire group is amazing and the first X-Men group are the standout best.

The only one who was obviously questionable for me was Toad. Isn't his face green in the movie? Still, nice use of Hulk's hair. Magneto is a little off to, but lets just say that I'd gladly buy the entire wave especially if Magneto was packaged with someone like Mystique which I think is likely.

How would you pair these guys up anyway Joe?

Keep it up man

T42

Yeah Toad was actually my "scraps" custom. I thought I had actually written that, but I guess I left it out. I think his face is yellowish, with green hair.... based on these pics:

th_toad.jpg

th_moviep1.jpg

But he definitely doesn't have a bowl-cut, maybe I'll fix him so he better matches with the rest.

With Magneto, I haven't found the perfect face yet... it is too bad LotR was in the 3 inch scale.... any suggestions? I might add the little skirt piece he wears in the movie, but I am satisfied with his body for now (that sounded dirty...).

As for pairs (in no particular order)...

1) Cyclops and Jean (lovers)

2) Angel and Rogue (the "cure-seeking" students)

2) Storm and Beast (they seemed close)

3) Wolverine and Phoenix (ending X3 battle)

4) Colossus and Juggernaut ("should have been" battle)

5) Magneto and Mystique (main villains)

6) Sabretooth and Toad (X1 villains)

7) Pyro and Iceman (rivals)

8) Nightcrawler and Deathstrike (X2 only)

9) Xavier and Kitty (Teacher/student)

10) Gambit and Psylocke (Omitted cool character/needed more than a cameo)

11) Variant: Gambit and Jubilee (Omitted cool character/needed more than a cameo)

I hate variants of big characters.... but there was an odd number of mates. <_<

That is how I would pair them anyways...

Edited by Joe Hill

Have you considered doing a "movie-esque" take on Avalanche, Blob, or maybe even Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch to go with the rest of the Brotherhood?

Actually I definitely have with Blob and Avalanche. Blob wouldn't be too hard, he's just big. But "movie-esque-ing" Avalanche may prove to be a bit more difficult. My main concern is that he would need to fit in with Pyro, as they are best buds in the comics. So I guess he would have a teenage-punk kind of look. I would have to experiment and decide what personality fits movie-Avalanche best. (I like to think these out... some say I over-analyze :) ).

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would be hard too, as their mainstream costumes definitely are a "no-no" in the movieverse. So I would have to redesign them too. I will make it my project and update as soon as I have an idea... which might take over a month cause Summer Calculus and Chemistry is getting in the way. But I will work on it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi! Thanks to everyone that replied with compliments/critiques!

I have some new updates and such:

I took some ideas from fellow members and made some improvements:

Magneto has been updated from his previous version to make him more movie-accurate.

th_Magneto2.jpg

Toad has also been updated to be more movie-accurate. He has a detachable tongue. Some people think his face looks green, but I feel like his face is more yellowish. Color blindness also runs in my family so that could be the problem too :confused:

th_Toad2.jpg

Deathstrike was done to look more like Kelly Hu, and less like the comic Lady Deathstrike. Mainly I changed the hands, hair, and head.

th_Deathstrike.jpg

Here are some X-Men "Touch-Ups." Xavier has a Picard head and a fancy new blue suit. Shadowcat has more Ellen Page-like hair. Jean has longer, more flowy red hair like in X3. Rogue has new hair too, as well as a different trenchcoat. I wasn't sure if I wanted Rogue in a coat or not. On the one hand, she didn't have a coat in her X-Suit. But on the other hand, throughout the first movie, she wore the coat a lot, and she is known for wearing them in the comics. In the end, I liked the coat. In created some variety with the X-Girls.

th_X-MenRedos.jpg

Wolverine has a new head to look a bit more like Hugh Jackman. He may look a little soft, but I am content with it now. Sabretooth just got a quick paint job.

th_WolvSabr.jpg

Gambit and Jubilee got new movie outfits. Gambit has more realistic hair and a black trenchcoat. I gave Jubilee her own style of X-Suit, since she always tried new things in the comics (like Kitty). I based their looks off of Origins: Wolverine Gambit and X2 Jubilee.

th_X-MenRedos2.jpg

Here are the pictures I based them off of:

th_gambit1pm5.png

th_jubilee1.jpg

Finally I created a fully-iced, Iceman.

th_Iceman-Full.jpg

Now here are some new customs:

First is a movie-type Avalanche. He has one of those costumes that wouldn't work in the movie-verse. He needed to look more like a punk, that way he fits in with Pyro, Callisto, Toad, etc. I decided to go the simple route and just have him look a bully. I wasn't sure if I was going to give him a helmet. On the one hand, it works for the character. However, we already have Juggernaut and Magneto with helmets. So I just provided pictures of both.

th_Avalanche.jpg

Blob here is in progress, I am thinking of painting him similar to the Comic Con Wolverine Trailer, but I might wait until a higher quality of pictures come out.

th_Blob-Prog.jpg

th_blob1je1.png

th_blob3tx9.png

Finally I have the Maximoff Twins, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. They are a combo of their Mainstream and Ultimate counterparts, but a bit more normal. My goal was to have them fit in with the rest of the brotherhood.

th_Twins.jpg

Anyhow, that is my update for now. Whew! I leave you guys with a comic shot of the Brotherhood.

Ultimate_Brotherhood.jpg

Edited by Joe Hill