UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What happened with X3 Minimates?

groundhog7s

Since I wasn't collecting when they came out, can anyone tell me why the X3 Minimates are so hard to find? Were they just not easily available? I know the Logan/Jean Grey one is very hard to find now for a decent price, but the others are still pretty rare to find (it seems).

Any ideas why?

I remember reading in an older thread that they had a smaller production run. Not sure why they would produce less but I suppose that may be why they are less common. That variant pack sure does fetch for some insane prices, but IMO, its one of the coolest variants the line has seen =)

As a new owner of the Jean Grey variant. I can asure you it is pretty sweet. I originally bid 59 bucks and told myself if it goes any higher I would let it go. I think it ended at around 68. So I paid a little more than I had wanted to but IMO it was worth it. Good luck though when I first saw it for sale anywhere I waited and didn't see it again for another six months. There is a Storm 2-pack on ebay express for 7 bucks which isn't too bad, but I'm actually looking for the Juggernaut 2 pack which a little more scarce. If you don't already check out Amazon.com too, I've seen them floating around on there from time to time.

** I just checked out jrstoyworld.com and they have Storm / Col and Beast / Jugg 2 packs in stock**

Edited by Fo Shizzle

** I just checked out jrstoyworld.com and they have Storm / Col and Beast / Jugg 2 packs in stock**

I've seen them there and almost bought them when I placed an order there last month.

It's just odd not seeing tons of these around (like the Spider-Man 3 mates).

I think it's honestly because these came out when interest in Minimates was still rather relatively low, so they weren't ordered in huge quantities. Now that they're gone, there is much more demand for them.

Categorically the hardest Marvel Wave to find on ebay , the variant is the rarest of all variants. I would/will happily swap almost any other Minimate pack for this 2 pack.

Really? Even for Stealth IM or Sym Spidey? Do you have a variant Jean at all?

Categorically the hardest Marvel Wave to find on ebay , the variant is the rarest of all variants. I would/will happily swap almost any other Minimate pack for this 2 pack.

Really? Even for Stealth IM or Sym Spidey? Do you have a variant Jean at all?

Yes. Yes for Sym ,Yes for loose Stealth. Yes.

I think DST said in an old Q&A that this was the most popular wave they had to date. I am still looking for the regular Jean/Wolvie 2 pack. I had a Phoenix variant, which I traded to a board member when they first came out. If only I knew the true value. Of course I don't hold anything against that member, he probably didn't know the value at the time anyway.

But these are some of my favourite mates, I just wish they had two waves.

Iceman/Kitty

Magneto/Mystique

Callisto/Psylocke

Variant Pyro(instead of Mystique)

That would have made the movie mates soooo much better.

I don't remember them being hard to find at the time, they were all over the net, and comic shops if I remember right. I think the main problem is they've been out of production a while. You can't really find much of anything before wave 16 currently.

And even with that you can't find Thor.

I don't remember them being hard to find at the time, they were all over the net, and comic shops if I remember right. I think the main problem is they've been out of production a while. You can't really find much of anything before wave 16 currently.

And even with that you can't find Thor.

I know what you mean. When he first came out they had him on Scifigenre.com for regular price and the variant for 20 bucks. Now the regular Thor is going for like 16 I think

In my early days of collecting 'Mates I 'won' a specific set ('mates)off ebay from a certain company in Florida. I waited some weeks for a completely different set to arrive! When I queried this I was told that the ones I 'won' weren't available so they "just sent me some others" & "if I wasn't happy just send them back". That was my first & last experience with this particular company who aren't that Popular with me .Their Highgrade(?) after-sales is also legendary.

I think DST said in an old Q&A that this was the most popular wave they had to date. I am still looking for the regular Jean/Wolvie 2 pack. I had a Phoenix variant, which I traded to a board member when they first came out. If only I knew the true value. Of course I don't hold anything against that member, he probably didn't know the value at the time anyway.

That was me, and while I knew it was pretty hard to get hold of at the time I'm astonished that people are paying $70.00 for it now. Dan, I was very grateful for that trade, but if you are feeling hard done by, drop me a PM and we'll discuss it.

That was me, and while I knew it was pretty hard to get hold of at the time I'm astonished that people are paying $70.00 for it now. Dan, I was very grateful for that trade, but if you are feeling hard done by, drop me a PM and we'll discuss it.

Not at all Rad. I got some great minis to start my collection out of it. Anyway, Toy Karma. :D

I know that the X3 wave was, and still is, my favorite wave. I really liked the X-Men Movie costumes, and modeled the rest of my X-Men around their respective movie costumes. I especially bought extra Storm and Colossus Mates, in order to make my movie costumed Cyclops, Iceman, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Angel, Jean, and Rogue. It then inspired me to make movie versions of Magneto, Mystique, Toad, Sabretooth (mostly just the regular Sabretooth mini), Deathstrike, "Dark" Phoenix, and Pyro.

So yeah, I can see this wave being pretty popular. Plus unlike the Spider-Man 3 wave, it isn't littered with six different versions of Wolverine. They are all unique characters.

i know my LCS has dozen of the x3 mate 2-packs still, including quite a few of the variant pack for no more than £5-6 each. not having the money at the time, nor knowing ow rare they seem to be, i've never purchased any... i think now i'll pick the whole lot up, stick on ebay... or see if any of you guys here fancy them. i shant get a chance to go along til at least next weekend, but they've been there since they came out.

i know my LCS has dozen of the x3 mate 2-packs still, including quite a few of the variant pack for no more than £5-6 each. not having the money at the time, nor knowing ow rare they seem to be, i've never purchased any... i think now i'll pick the whole lot up, stick on ebay... or see if any of you guys here fancy them. i shant get a chance to go along til at least next weekend, but they've been there since they came out.

Well, you know that everybody here and his/her uncle will want the variant after this thread, but that means. . .you should post them on eBay and then retire! Or at least buy yourself dinner at a nice restaurant :)

I'd be interested in buying a pack of Wolvie/Jean (regular) off you if possible. I'm UK if that makes it easier, though I'm going away on sunday for 2 weeks, and so won't be around if and when you buy them. Drop me a PM either before I leave, or when you have them and we'll sort something out when I get back.

I don't think you'll be able to see anything through the flood of PMs. :)

I don't think you'll be able to see anything through the flood of PMs. :)

i have received a few!

right, as i said it'd be a while 'til i next got along there, as i'm currently inbetween houses... but due to the interest i'd feel like a complete *not nice word* if i let everyone down, so permitting i'm not needed at work, will try and get there on monday/tuesday. what is usually my LCS is about 2hrs away at the moment, but i've been meaning to go back up north to pick up my swanky tele (so i can finally get MGS4!) and get myself the latest DC mates. i know someones replied in this thread, and i've got the PMs... all i can promise at the moment is that i know what order you guys replied in, and that's the fairest way to go about it.

despite the small fortune they seem to be worth! i do enjoy this place on a daily basis, and would much prefer them to go to you guys than ebay.

what i would like to know... as this thread was started about x3 mates in general, as they all worth picking up? or would people turn their noses up at, say, beast and juggernauth (bitch!). if these are wanted, speak up, for forever hold your peace... so far its only been wolvie & jean/pheonix requests

An excellent wave. Perhaps my favorite of all the waves. When people tell you that Variant Phoenix is super rare believe them. It is. Any true minimate collector who doesn't have it would kill for it. And even before the Variant came out there were a lot more hard core collectors then there were Phoenix Variants. Now there is like ten times that number easily. There is not enough of the figure to go around by a long shot.