UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates are Dead

Jatta Pake

As brit I cant get to one these public forums but the points brought up are good. If the Minemate stuff sold out what more then they ask for.

Oh how i'd love to see a photo of a MMMV poster being removed by security from the DCD bit :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most of you, my local shops don't have any of earlier waves of the DCD 'mates. It seems like they've actually been selling better than the Marvel 'mates. I'm still having the hardest time trying to find the Hawkman/Hawkgirl pack. These were the only the figures I got from DCD anymore, mostly due to minis being all around superior (IMO) and minis smaller space requirements, so they've lost another customer as far as action figures go. Hopefully DST will be able to pick up the licence eventually. Until then at least I have several things to be excited about with the Iron Man, Avengers, and Invaders sets.

Revenge of the DC Minimates!

Oy, Alter-Ego comics, you're a retailer. What do you think, would it work? Are you in?

As much as the rumored demise of DC Minimates irks me, and despite the fact that I personally don't care for the Super Hero Squad-type figures, as a retailer, I can't get behind a boycott. DC Direct is a business and all businesses have to make unpopular or difficult decisions sometimes for the sake of the business. Overall, I think that DC Direct is producing a wide variety of products that appeal to a broad fanbase. Do I agree with all of their product choices? Absolutely not (like including Superman and/or Batman in nearly every 6 inch figure line). But that doesn't mean that I should stop giving my customers the choice to buy or not buy a certain item. Does that make sense?

You guys as the end consumers have the real power. The power of the purse, or wallet.

As much as the rumored demise of DC Minimates irks me, and despite the fact that I personally don't care for the Super Hero Squad-type figures, as a retailer, I can't get behind a boycott. DC Direct is a business and all businesses have to make unpopular or difficult decisions sometimes for the sake of the business. Overall, I think that DC Direct is producing a wide variety of products that appeal to a broad fanbase. Do I agree with all of their product choices? Absolutely not (like including Superman and/or Batman in nearly every 6 inch figure line). But that doesn't mean that I should stop giving my customers the choice to buy or not buy a certain item. Does that make sense?

You guys as the end consumers have the real power. The power of the purse, or wallet.

This is true. This is true. Well, maybe the LCSs will get beind our vengence. it makes sense for an online retailer to hve the biggest selection possible, but a LCS can do whatever the hell it wants.

This is true. This is true. Well, maybe the LCSs will get beind our vengence. it makes sense for an online retailer to hve the biggest selection possible, but a LCS can do whatever the hell it wants.

but why the hell would a LCS decide to not put product out, that could potentially make a profit?

That is just bad business sense.

The whole lets get retailers to boycot whatever dcd does to replace minimates is dumb. We as a spending group couldn't rally more than 100+ online signatures to save the damn line and now we think we can bring down it's RUMORED replacement before we even see them? that is stupid.

We need to realize this is not a personal afront to our likes, it is a business decision. While I would love to round out my batman villians or finish off the titans, it just isn't happening. Lets look at what we DID get which is 80+ kick ass minimates to add to our collections.

The best freaking way to keep minimates alive is to buy a shit load of them everytime they come out period.

moc847

The dudes at DCD's booth at WWC told us it is a strong possibility that they were done making mates, "for now" quote. He hit hit me with the shoulder shrug head nod type thing.

Anyways, F the DCD company, their shat is weak!

Weak!

WW4M

It would be fantastic if DST picked up the line and i think that it could be a possibility. DC have 2 people doing the 6 inch stuff now (DCD and Mattel) why couldnt DST and DCD do a line of mini's. its been said before me but its working with the marvel stuff...My 2 cents

I have to agree with Marc (Alter Ego) about carrying or not carrying certain products. They are in business to make a profit, just as DCD is, and they have to carry what they think the customers will buy. It does suck that DCD chose to shut this down. I'm still not convinced that we'll never see and DC minimates again. I think the occasional box set or exclusive through DST is not out of the question. Wishful thinking, yes, but I think it's a strong possibility. I would love to go back to the days of seeing minimates at Target, toys r us and Walmart (the evil). I don't know why those stores stopped carrying them in the first place, but I'm guessing it's something to do with cost / sales / profit margins.

I imagine when you run a company with so many different things going on and you want to go in a new direction, then something has to get cut to keep the profits where they want them. In that sense, I guess it makes sense to sacrifice a line that was delayed almost a year before launch and probably saw a dip in sales when they ventured outside the "Big 3" in terms of character selection.

Still, DC could have probably kicked up their sales a bit if they had pushed them into major retailers instead of settling for their usual bit of LCS/specialty market. After all, DCD is a far larger company than AA/DST, so they probably carry a bit more weight with their products. I'm sure Walmart/Target/TRU/whoever would have carried them, if for nothing else than a shot at carrying some of the good figures DC puts out (there's bound to be some). A wider availability of Minimates, resting on the impulse sections of the toy aisles would have bolstered sales, and would have kicked the ever loving crap out of the Marvel 'mate, who doesn't have major retailer support at present. But, if you had DC mates making a decent sell in retail, you'd generate more interest in the entire brand, which would open the door for Marvel and all the movie and TV mates, which in turn generates bigger interest in the entire brand when you see you can have Spider-man take on Batman.

Then again, I don't work in the toy industry or in retail, so my opinion probably doesn't carry much weight and probably doesn't reflect the actual arena in which these type deals are done. It just seems that DC keeping the little guys in the specialty stores probably hurt their profits a bit, as Minimates are most likely geared to a younger audience, which doesn't really reflect the sweaty overweight guys that frequent my LCS.

Heck, with Mattel working on DC's stuff now, maybe they'd be interested in picking up the line? They have a more open relationship with DC Direct than Diamond Select does.

My thoughts are that since Mattel already puts stuff in retail stores, DCD probably keeps to the LCS/ specialty stores. What I don't get is that Mattel is already putting out JLU figures, and now this new 4" line is coming to retail. I don't know, I resolved to just keep customizing DC characters on my own. To hell with DCD!!!! :biggrin:

A wider availability of Minimates, resting on the impulse sections of the toy aisles would have bolstered sales, and would have kicked the ever loving crap out of the Marvel 'mate, who doesn't have major retailer support at present. But, if you had DC mates making a decent sell in retail, you'd generate more interest in the entire brand, which would open the door for Marvel and all the movie and TV mates, which in turn generates bigger interest in the entire brand when you see you can have Spider-man take on Batman.

I totally agree. When the DC / C3 stuff was out in my local Target. they were on the sides of endcaps and at both ends of the action figure aisles. They didn't last long! That stuff flew off the shelf. I did manage to find some months later clearanced, but not in vast quantities like LOTR or Superman C3 at toys r us.

Edited by hulk197

Not much more than speculation on my part, (and I'm really just looking for any excuse to make my first post as I

just got approved)but I used to be an assistant manager at walmart while I was doing the whole online degree

thing, and a likely factor to the cancellation, and lack of minimate retail presence in general, that I've yet to see mentioned by anyone is out-right LCS/ National Retailer shelf space.

When you factor in things like what you're actually pocketing per sale and start measuring those dollars against the

sheer amount of space required to offer even a modest minimate selection...things can't look THAT good

from a Storefront Retailers perspective can they?

Especially when you, as a National retailer, could dedicate that same amount of shelf space, using almost the same amount of product, to say those Plug and Play TV Controllers with 20 games on them and pocket $6.50 per unit. LCS's

are a bit different but would almost have to universally share the same principles at least on some level, right?

Now granted, there's a gap in my logic about a mile wide, apples and oranges can't really be compared and the profit

per unit logistics on superhero squad can't REALLY be that better than minimates... but I think DCD's on a relatively

similar wavelength.

From a business standpoint: I think they're trying to get everything they invest their resources into infront of as

many people (and thusly retail chains) as possible, and minimates are just too sub-categorized an item to allow them

to get a foot in the door. (they're block-based, superhero, collectables that are kid friendly and work with LEGO's...it's

like trying to sell a black, female, pesidential candidate who's dad lives in afghan-land...there's just too many

questions : )

Meanwhile, DCD's heads see these retarded Squad things from Marvel everytime they hit ANY toy dept and for

whatever reason, a light went off. who knows...Maybe DCD is as broken down and 'bustedly' out of touch as didio.

It's all greek to me, though.

I thought the whole purpose BEHIND DC Direct was to provide this sort of thing to Collectors to begin with while they

left the kid-friendly retail crap to people that...yaknow, bought the license from them for that sort of thing.

If I was Mattel, I'd be screaming for a court date already.

Anyway,

HI Everybody.

Hey, thanks guys! : )

sorry for the delay in response (i'm sure you're just absolutely heartbroken)

I originally posted this when I was at work and got mashed up pretty good in an accident on the way home.

got out yesterday and saw batman aka the greatest film EVER

See ya around I guess : )

just got out of the DCD panel; they didn't even mention Minimates in their 10 year anniversary retrospective slideshow. I asked about them and got applause from everyone in the room, but the panelists kind of just shrugged.

Georg says thanks for all of the cardbacks, though... :)

yea from what I've heard about DCD handling the minimate situation, it seemed like we'll tell you what you want to hear. I talked with a guy at the booth at SDCC on Sunday. It was funny I was dressed at the Spirit, comics version, and he came over, so I asked him about minimates and he told me it was dead, but I could look forward to all the other DCD products. Sure, all out of scale with each other, yea thanks. Then he told me about the upcoming Spirit stuff, so I was like great comics right? Nope only movie stuff. Well at least theres DC Universe Classics from Mattel to look forward to...he didn't like that answer. I haven't purchased a DCD figure in over a year. I used to get those things like no one's business, now they don't have my business.

Edited by Lantern Returns

• 2 weeks later...

It did look promising, but no one can say they didn't give it a shot. Who would have ever thought the would release a Ma Hunkel minimate. C'mon ;) . We got a few minimates from them so here's hoping they come up with more whoever may hold the license next. But here's a question, What other heavy hitters could they have released?

But here's a question, What other heavy hitters could they have released?

Well, we did get most of the "major" JLA members, which constitutes most of the "heavy hitters" in the DC Universe (minus Manhunter, who only yielded a C3 release). However, we only got a few major members of the JSA and Teen Titans, who are arguably pretty important. We are still missing Alan Scott, golden or modern age Mr. Terrific, Hourman, Sandman, Atom, and "OG" titans like Speedy, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, and Aqualad never came (this is why I'm praying that the DC box set thing works out). Then there are all the "New Gods" Minimates and the Crime Syndicate that they never really tapped into, and a plethora of B-level Justice Leaguers that we never got (Elongated Man, modern Atom, Plastic Man, Zatana, Vibe, Red Arrow, Black Canary, Black Lightning, etc. etc.) as well all the unreleased Batman and Flash rogues that I'm sure we would all fawn over, the entire Legion of Superheroes, the Suicide Squad, the All-Star Squadron, the Doom Patrol, more Green Lanterns, Outsiders, Metal Men, Atari Force, etc.

So, there was a massive untapped well, and just imagining how cool some of these figures might look makes me mourn the death of this line that much more.

Edited by karamazov80

I know some collectors bitch about re-used parts, but if the box sets are to happen this is the way to go. I'm not knockin' any of the artists(I can't draw worth a squat), But I noticed a lot of golden and silver-age characters are similar(i.e. hair, some capes, gloves and boots). The "Rachael" hair used for various Marvel women is pretty accurate for some of the characters, depending on who was drawing them.

That's true, we never got Alan Scott. I would have loved a Modern Mr. Terrific, Hourman and Atom. For some reason Alan Scott in his Armor from Kingdom Come looks just right in my head. So much potential. :(

The ones I really think were overlooked would have to be...

Must Haves:

Martian Manhunter, Alan Scott, Atom (Either Palmer or the new one), Black Lightning, Red Arrow, Beast Boy, and Donna Troy, One Year Later Robin, Black Manta.

Should haves:

Kyle Rainer, Vixen, Captain Atom, Jason Todd/Red Hood, Two Face, Scarecrow, Blue Devil, Superboy (90's or Teen Titans), Eradicator, Zatana, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Mirror Master, Mr. Miracle, Metamorpho.

Nice-to-haves:

Sandman, Mr. Terrific (modern), Dr. Midnite, Kid Devil, Modern Wonder Girl, Big Barda, Speedy (Origional or Modern), Orion, Starman (preferably the newest one), Modern Blue Beetle, Ravager, Jericho, The Key, Darkseid (He would be a must have but they had an easy to find C3 version), Tomar Re, Katana, Geoforce, Terra, Commisioner Gordon.

Dude...i am soooooooooo depressed that we have to say goodbye, because i wanted to see so many more villains, mainly Bat-villains. I wanted my love-Poison Ivy-and my dear Two-face who inspired this username. I would love to see a final wave, and it could even have a title "One More Wave" since it sounds so epic, and all of our begged heavy-hitters should be in it. Heck, if that works they need to take up the idea of Dc boxed sets. Do they really think we don't want 'em?! Marvel has had a wompin' 24 waves (not all out yet, but planned) and we got freakin' EIGHT?!?!?!?! There are too many characters that have been overlooked and we want 'em bad, so please listen to us DCD!!!

And here's a personal idea: What if, with this whole Box Set fling, they make it a five pack, with one of two mysterymates (my word, that i plan to copyright :D) packaged in? One could be common to get, and the other a really rare find, like 1:20? Anyone like it?