UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

PS3 40gb vs. 80gb

I'm looking at buying a PS3 strictly as a Blu Ray player - I'm not much of a gamer, and we have a Wii already. My 8 year old has a PSP, but that's the only Playstation product that we have.

Anyway, should I be looking at a 40gb or 80gb PS3?

I'm looking at buying a PS3 strictly as a Blu Ray player - I'm not much of a gamer, and we have a Wii already. My 8 year old has a PSP, but that's the only Playstation product that we have.

Anyway, should I be looking at a 40gb or 80gb PS3?

the only real difference between them is the 80 gig one is backwards compatible and has more storage. I bought a 40 gig lastyear also just for the bluray player. Although Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is a really fun game. as is MLB 08 The Show.

I'm not much of a gamer either and I've been thrilled with my 40gb PS3. I have a wireless network in the house and the PS3 sniffed it out and connected on it's own. I've never run out of space and I frequently download free Demos just to see what the games are like.

You can expand storage with external hard drives using the USB port on the PS3. I've never had to do this so I don't know how complicated it is. Given how easy the PS3 is to use, I don't think it's very hard though. This is the thing that stunned me the most about the PS3 - it is so simple to use.

Our PS3 gets used primarily for the DVD upconvert functionality. I honestly don't notice that much difference between an upconverted DVD and a Blu-Ray DVD. But then again, I'm not much of a home-theater-ophile either.

If you aren't a big gamer and don't have a catalog of titles for the previous Playstations, then you should be able to get by with the 40gb one. Storage space shouldn't be an issue if you're just watching movies on it, so why spend the extra money?

Glad this backwards-compatibility topic came up. Does the 40gb PS3 not have the ability to play any PS1 or PS2 games at all???

Correct.

Important consideration if you have PS2 games and want to play them on your PS3. Be aware that the backwards compatibility of the 80gb version is software only. I have heard rumors that it is inferior to the hardware based system of the discontinued 60gb first gen PS3.

There's a list on Sony.com (somewhere) with the reported problems with the emulation. When I was looking into getting one, I studied the list pretty hard. Most of the "Big Games" seemed to work fine - Mostly just stuttering during FMV... Ultimately I went with the 60gb.

I think that the 80gb are being phased out right now. Not sure of the last time that I saw one in a store. If I remeber correctly the 40gb models do have PS1 compatability, but I'm not for sure...

When you're looking at the price of a Blu-Ray player compared to the 40gb PS3, it's a no-brainer to go for the PS3. Why not get a console for free? The only thing is I'm not really impressed with it's DVD upconvert... It looks better, but I can't get it to take up the entire screen. Not sure what the problem is there... It's like it's letterboxed, but on the sides as well as the top... Weird

The only thing is I'm not really impressed with it's DVD upconvert... It looks better, but I can't get it to take up the entire screen. Not sure what the problem is there... It's like it's letterboxed, but on the sides as well as the top... Weird

Check the DVD because if it is not anamorphic widescreen then it will do that.