UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So what comics is everyone reading?

I have gotten behind as of late on reading comics. The New Exiles is the only comic that I have kept up with, and that has been very disappointing. Exiles used to be my favorite comic, but the stories have been crap as of late and don't even really follow the old Exiles formula. The other books I usually read are New Avengers, Moon Knight, Astonishing X-men, Uncanny X-men and regular old X-men. How was the World War Hulk storyline? I was tempted to follow it, but hate multi-book crossovers. If there is a tpb I might look into getting it. Also, how is the new Red Hulk storyline? I have never been a big Hulk fan, but after reading Planet Hulk and seeing the new movie, I'm kinda interested.

Don't get me started on Exiles there Crippler. It started sucking when Tony Bedard left the book to go work at DC.

I'm currently reading though:

-Final Crisis (DC)

-Booster Gold (DC)

-Titans (DC)

Also, when they come out in trades I've been picking up:

-Green Lantern (Pick up Sinestro Corps if you haven't yet!)

-Outsiders

-Checkmate

I like comics, largely, for the artwork. As such, I will read anything that George Perez or Alan Davis does that I know about, so as of a couple months ago, I was reading Brave and the Bold and ClanDestine, but Ordway replaced Perez, so I'm done with that one, and I haven't seen the 2nd issue of ClanDestine yet. Other than that, I used to also do Astonishing X-Men (mostly because of the great John Cassaday), but stopped a while back for some reason, and I also did Alex Ross's Justice series until it ended.

Really, the only comic that I pick up consistently now is JSA. Great writing, and most importantly, my favorite superhero team. Interestingly, the art is this one is only OK.

I'm currently reading:

Thor - freaking awesome!!

JSA- best team book out right now!

Titans

Teen Titans

Final Crisis

Secret Invasion

Avengers Invaders

Capt. America (kinda meh right now)

Divided We Stand series (crossovers into several books)

I noticed Teen Titans is on your list there Fo.

I dropped that one last month.

When Geoff Johns was writing it it was phenomenal...

Ever since he left it's been on a downwards spiral. I only read it as long as I did because Rose is awesome.

Man I gave up on comics when they reached, what, $25.00 a piece?! Seriously I was an avid reader in the 80's and 90's and still have over 10,000 in back issues. Recently I've been re-reading the McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man issues, Iron Man 150'ish, early new X-Men (Liefeld) stuff...

The New Exiles is the only comic that I have kept up with, and that has been very disappointing. Exiles used to be my favorite comic, but the stories have been crap as of late and don't even really follow the old Exiles formula.

Didn't Chris Claremont take over that book a while back? He's a pretty acquired taste, to say the least, and I'd imagine he's just doing the same kind of stories he always does regardless of what formula the book had before... I thought World War Hulk was fun, at least for a few issues. But yeah, it basically had no plot.

Personally I'm loving Secret Invasion and the Avengers tie-ins, as well as Kick-Ass and most of Buffy Season 8 so far.

I sometimes pick up comics just for the art too, although it's always a nice surprise when the writing lives up to it -- I've been reading Ult. Spidey since Stuart Immonen started drawing it (his stuff in Nextwave was awesome) and really liking it. Same with All Star Superman, came for the art and the story's been outstanding.

I noticed Teen Titans is on your list there Fo.

I dropped that one last month.

When Geoff Johns was writing it it was phenomenal...

Ever since he left it's been on a downwards spiral. I only read it as long as I did because Rose is awesome.

I know it's kind of ho hum right now but I am crossing my fingers for it to pick up soon

Edited by Fo Shizzle

Action Comics

Super man

Spider Man

Bat Man

Detective Comics

FF

Iron Man Director of Shield

Invincible Iron Man

Mighty Avengers

New Avengers

JSA Classified

Justice League of America

Wonder Woman

Incredible Hercules

Hulk

Thor

Jonah Hex

Punisher

Astonishing X men

Uncanny Xmen

Nova

Wolverine

Wolverine Origins

X Factor

All Star Super man (Jim Lee)

I'm probably missing some oh yeah I'm also getting all the secret invasion stuff

im reading new warriors and nova, secret invasion and avengers: the initiative, but im kinda getting bored of nova. just waiting for the SI tie in and the new deadpool series.

Action Comics

Super man

Spider Man

Bat Man

Detective Comics

FF

Invincible Iron Man

Mighty Avengers

New Avengers

JSA Classified

Wonder Woman

Incredible Hercules

Hulk

Thor

Jonah Hex

Punisher

Astonishing X men

Uncanny Xmen

Nova

Wolverine

Wolverine Origins

X Factor

I'm probably missing some oh yeah I'm also getting all the secret invasion stuff

And you can still afford Minimates? :ohmy:

I actually stopped reading monthlies after House of M (wasn't very impressed). I only picked up the Civil War Trade and several Ultimate Trades along the way. However, Secret Invasion has brought me back, so currently it looks like this:

Marvel

-Secret Invasion: And all major Tie-Ins

-New Avengers: I picked this up at #1 then again fell off around HoM, but now I'm back on!

-Mighty Avengers: I love this core group, and hate I missed the beging, it's been a good support to SI

-Astonishing X-Men: Not sure where it's going to go with Joss off, but I'll at least give it a chance to keep me!

-Thor: This is probably the best written book I get monthly, I LOVE it and the Art is Fantastic!

-Iron Man: My favorite Marvel Hero (yes, even before the movie) and I've loved the book since Extrems

-Invincible Iron Man: Just relaunched with #1 and it's already better than the current Iron Man Book!

-Guardians of the Galaxy: Look, anything with a talking Racoon is worth trying, and I love it!

-Wolverine: Just started with #66 since Millar is back and I'm loving the story, we'll see how it goes!

DC

-Batman: I started with RIP, which I think was 676, I love Morrison and haven't read Batman since Hush so we'll see.

-Trinity: To be honest, I only looked at this because of Bagley, I love him. So far so good, but weekly books are iffy!

Trades

-Ultimate Everything: Spider-Man, X-Men, Ultimates, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, etc.: I used to follow all of the Ultimate books weekly but I dropped cold turkey after HoM, so to catch up I picked up Trades and I actually prefer reading them this way, so I don't go monthly anymore. I just with they would release them like the very next week after the final issue of the trade is released, they wait a little too long IMO!

Upcoming

-X-Men/Uncanny X-Men: With Uncanny #500 coming, there is supposed be some good things in the future for the X-Men moving to San Fran and all, so I'll at least give it a shot because it's been a very long time since we've had a good on-going X-Men book (not counting Astonishing of course!)

Final note, I would like to point out there is not ONE Spider-Man book on my list. Why you ask? Because Spider-Man is the WORST comic book hero available on the shevles these days!!! Unmasked, Evolved, Organic Web, Gwen's Children, Single, Seriously, why not just have him join a traveling circus at least then he'd have decent support characters. There is no redeeming quality at all about Spider-Man right now and it's truly aggravating. I've always loved Spider-Man but Marvel has really dropped the ball on one of their flagships. I'm so disgusted with the character I can't even look at the new covers, Anti-Venom or not, I'll just stick with Ultimate Spider-Man! 'nuff said

neo

Edited by neolego

Final note, I would like to point out there is not ONE Spider-Man book on my list.

Well there's only one Spider-man book now anyways, it's just out three times as often :)... I had found the main universe Spidey comics pretty unappealing since getting back into comics a couple years back -- because of the things you mentioned, Gwen-spawn, evolving, Aunt May asassination attempts, etc. -- but I'm actually really enjoying the weekly 'Amazing' relaunch. Sure, the quality is all over the map depending on the writer/artist of the month, but some of the stories have been great, and even the goofy issues don't ruin the fun of reading a new Spidey comic every week.

Ultimate is definitely a much better product overall, but I still get a kick out of the Brand New Day stuff. Before this, the only place I really enjoyed main universe Spidey was in New Avengers, again thanks to Bendis, or when he'd pop up in Runaways or She-Hulk, where they remembered he's supposed to be funny.

On a related note, that new Spectacular cartoon is awesome... :spidey:

Action Comics

Super man

Spider Man

Bat Man

Detective Comics

FF

Invincible Iron Man

Mighty Avengers

New Avengers

JSA Classified

Wonder Woman

Incredible Hercules

Hulk

Thor

Jonah Hex

Punisher

Astonishing X men

Uncanny Xmen

Nova

Wolverine

Wolverine Origins

X Factor

No Thunderbolts?

I'm reading Hulk, Ultimate Spider-Man, Thor, and Thunderbolts along with Secret Invasion's main storyline.

But the best comic of the year so far is the maxiseries The Twelve and Avengers-Invaders. The best thing about Avengers-Invaders is definately the Thunderbolts vs Spider-Man in the beginning of the first. Good sstuff. Now I'm just waiting for the Cap vs Cap vs Cap vs Bucky. Fun stuff!

Final note, I would like to point out there is not ONE Spider-Man book on my list. Why you ask? Because Spider-Man is the WORST comic book hero available on the shevles these days!!! Unmasked, Evolved, Organic Web, Gwen's Children, Single, Seriously, why not just have him join a traveling circus at least then he'd have decent support characters. There is no redeeming quality at all about Spider-Man right now and it's truly aggravating. I've always loved Spider-Man but Marvel has really dropped the ball on one of their flagships. I'm so disgusted with the character I can't even look at the new covers, Anti-Venom or not, I'll just stick with Ultimate Spider-Man! 'nuff said

neo

A-freaking-men. Ultimate Spider-Man rocks. Unfortunately, it's one of the only Ultimate books that does. The only other Ultimate book that's nearly as good as Ultimate Spider-Man is Ultimate Iron Man and it's a miniseries. Ultimates used to be good, but the new art and writing sucks and it's been about three months since the last one came out. I've always hated Ultimate FF, and I have no idea what's going on in Ultimate X-Men. I do like almost all of the Ultimate miniseries.

Anyway, Spider-Man sucks now. Pure and simple.

BTW: If you want to read a funny trade paperback, you need to pick up Ultimate Spider-Man volume 15: Silver Sable. That is the funniest TPB I've ever read.

"You guys are a new low, and I've fought Kraven the Hunter."-Spider-Man to the Wild Pack.

I don't read too many comics that often mostly trades that i find for a good price. I do read the dark tower and loving it, can not wait for the last issue. at a used bookstore i was able to find ultimate FF the n-zone for $3 so i am reading that to tide me over.

Action Comics

Super man

Spider Man

Bat Man

Detective Comics

FF

Invincible Iron Man

Mighty Avengers

New Avengers

JSA Classified

Wonder Woman

Incredible Hercules

Hulk

Thor

Jonah Hex

Punisher

Astonishing X men

Uncanny Xmen

Nova

Wolverine

Wolverine Origins

X Factor

And you can still afford Minimates? :ohmy:

Yeah but nut much else aside from some tranformers and food and shelter.

Monthlies

All the Wildstorm U stuff - absolutely love it, especially now with some control over the unified direction of the books. Not that bothered by their horror stuff or their tv tie-ins, and the signature stuff I pick up what looks interesting

Booster Gold

Legion of Superheroes - not enjoying as much since Waid finished writing it, but it's still ok

Most Transformers stuff

Trades

Most of DC's universe stuff - I don't bother that much with the out of continuity stuff, but pick up the rest. I find Batman a bit boring, but I love JSA, Green Lantern (and Corps) and Blue Beetle.

Hellboy/BPRD

Some Vertigo stuff - I'm avoiding Hellblazer because I know I'll want to pick up all of it, and most of their output these days just doesn't inspire me, apart from Fables. I love the Sandman/Lucifer/Books of Magic stuff, and things like Transmetand Y the Last Man

Empowered - yes, ya gotta love some t&a

Other random stuff that appeals

Jo

Let's see, I've got quite a list.

Astonishing X-Men

Avengers: The Initiative

Captain America

Daredevil

The Dark Tower

FF (since Bryan Hitch and Mark Millar took over)

Hulk

Immortal Iron Fist

Invincible Iron Man

Mighty Avengers

New Avengers

Runaways

Thor

Ultimate FF

Ultimates

Ultimate X-Men

And those are just the ongoings. I always get a lot of mini's, notably Secret Invasion currently. 1985 is also pretty interesting so far, anyone else picking that up?

Edited by cornflakes

Let's see, I've got quite a list.

Astonishing X-Men

Avengers: The Initiative

Captain America

Daredevil

The Dark Tower

FF (since Bryan Hitch and Mark Millar took over)

Hulk

Immortal Iron Fist

Invincible Iron Man

Mighty Avengers

New Avengers

Runaways

Thor

Ultimate FF

Ultimates

Ultimate X-Men

And those are just the ongoings. I always get a lot of mini's, notably Secret Invasion currently. 1985 is also pretty interesting so far, anyone else picking that up?

Yeah I'm reading 1985, Kick Ass is good as well.

I finally found my Holy Grail of comics: the 2005 6-issue comic miniseries based upon the Irrational Games computer enterainment video game, Freedom Force. I'd been looking for it for a couple years, and the guy at my semi-local comic shop made my day, finding it in a box under another box under a table in the back of the store. :D

I also picked up my other must-have item, Sam & Max: Surfin' the Highway Anniversary Edition. Love it--I've read it about four times in the past week and a half.