UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

PSP or DS?

Punisher

i am going to trade in my gameboy advance and PS2 to get either a DS or a PSP, the only problem is i cant deceide which one to get. I REALLY have no clue other than a few reasons for each:

Reason for DS: not many. its cheaper. i have some street fighter games from my advance, but im sure there are some street fighter games for psp. its got mario cart, but i'm getting that for the wii.

PSP: better graphics. god of war, darkstalkers or guiltygear, okami, patapon

can you guys give me some pros and cons for each, and maybe recommend some awesome games?

I have a DS and enjoy playing it, along with my wife and kids. I really need to buy another one so I can actually play mine. If you get the DS definitely get this to go along with it:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10401

I have one for mine and it works great. As for games, it all depends on what you like. Here is a list of games that I suggest:

Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Advance Wars: Day of Ruin

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Barnyard Blast: Swine of the Night

Bleach: Blade of Fate

Mario Kart DS

New Super Mario Bros.

Mario 64 DS

Final Fantasy III

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Yoshi's Island DS

There's lots more, it all depends on your tastes.

Not to mention that if you buy the DSTT that you will be able to use NES and SNES emulators. I have the first three Zeld games on mine along with some Castlevania games and a bunch of other old school games.

Well, I am a little biased, I would be labeled a "Nintendo Fanboy" as well as a "Sony Hater". However, I've owned both of the systems and can give comments supporting both, so I'll try to be objective!

Nintendo DS

Pros

-Backed by Nintendo, Best 1st Party in the Industry (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, PokeMon, etc)

-Card Based Games, Quicker Loading

-Innovation: Touch Screen, Mic, Duel Screen, Built-In Wi-Fi

-Battery Life (8 to 10 Hours)

-Plays GameBoy and GameBoy Advanced Games

Cons

-Horse Power, Graphic Ability

-Lack of Extra Features

-"Shovelware"

-Friend Codes

-Screen Wear (only if you are a careless player!)

Playstation Portable

Pros

-Horsepower, Last-Gen Console level Graphics

-Extra Features: Music, Movies, Internet, Pictures

-Conectivity to PS3, games/demos

-Beautiful Screen

Cons

-Tired Ports/Lack of Quality Games

-Disc Based, Longer load times

-Battery Life (not good)

-Lack of Innovation

Again, I've owned both, so here are my thoughts. The Nintendo DS is a "Gaming Machine" and the PSP is a "Media Machine". If you want to play games ONLY, I would recommend that you pick up a DS. The library on the DS is unmatched by any gaming platform. There is something for everyone, from the Action Adventure fan to the RTS fan to the racing fan to your grandma. I have 3 generations of people in my family hooked on the DS. My grandmother loves Crosswords, my Mom and Mother-in-Law are both still hooked to Tetris and me and my wife enjoy Mario Kart and Animal Crossing (and my wife loves her dang Dalmation still!!). You can pick up the DS and be playing a quality game in a matter of minutes. And, if something comes up you don't have to worry about the game, close the DS and the game saves just where you are and goes into a reserve power mode to be picked up later and completed. At the end of the day, it's about gaming and there isn't a handheld that rivals the DS!

On the other hand, the PSP offers SO MUCH MORE!! If you are looking for something more than just a gaming machine or if you travel a lot I would recommend the PSP (and an extended battery, lol). Not only do you get to play quality games like Rachet and God of War but if you are not in the mood to game you can surf the internet or watch a movie (UMD or Memory Stick) or check out your latest pictures or just stream music and enjoy like an MP3 player. If you fly alot, the PSP is amazing to have on the trip with you (that was until the iPhone ;) ) and even if you want to kick back at home and play a few hours it's inviting. The first time you see that screen in person it almost takes your breath away! If you can afford both I would say buy each because they are so drastically different you can't really compare the two.

As a conclusion, I'll share my personal choice with you. I am a DS owner. In fact, I own the DS Phat (Original), a white DS Lite I got at launch, and I just recently purchased a Crimson/Black DS for myself. I love it so very much, in fact I would say I average at least 5 hours more gametime on my DS than I do on my consoles per week! Like I mentioned above, I have my iPhone so if I want to watch a movie or listen to music I will use that, but if I want to play a game no handheld does it better than the DS. I sold my PSP because of the games, not the system. I'm not going to pay $60 for a copy of LEGO: Star Wars on my 360 and then another $50 for the SAME GAME (with worse graphics) on my PSP! That was the problem, there was no innovation in gaming on the PSP, just ports of games that I already owned or was going to buy. They have some great titles, but they are few and far between. So, when it game time to choose, I choose the system that does what it's suposed to do and that's play games and the DS does that better than anything before it or since!

Recommended Games:

DS

-New Super Mario Bros

-Mario Kart DS

-Metroid Prime Hunters

-Castlevainia (Any)

-Advance Wars (Either

-Touch Generations: Brain Age, CrossworDS, Nintendogs

-Animal Crossing

-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

-PokeMon: Diamond/Pearl

PSP

-Metal Gear (Any)

-God of War

-Star Wars Battlefront

-Rachet and Clank

-Dexter

-Final Fantasy VII

-Any of your favorite Console Games....dumbed down

Hope that helps, if you have any questions about anything I said feel free to ask, just trying to inform! neo

I have both, the DS sit's in draw gathering dust and the PSP get's moderate use.

If I could only have one it would be the PSP, its just a much better system to game on, The downside is battery life but as I mostly play mine around the house or on the occasional flight it's not a big deal for me.

The one downside seems that it seems developers for PSP games are starting to dry up a little.

T.

Really, I don't know how we are even friends Timbo.........do we have anything in common ;). neo

I don't know... I'm sure there are lots of things..

Food...

I eat by putting food in my mouth... what about you?

Literature...

I read left to right... what about you?

Games...

I'd rather be playing videogames than having my limbs hacked off with a rusty saw, what about you?

See lots in common... :P

T.

The DS is my most-played system. You've got the awesome Castlevania games (reason alone to buy the thing), Mario Kart (which is just as fun as the one on the Wii, IMO), new Super Mario Bros., Elite Beat Agents, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, --edit: Contra IV--, the recent Ninja Gaiden game, Zelda, the Brain Age games, etc., and as Neo says, all the games in the GBA library: Final Fantasies, Double Dragon Advance (the best Double Dragon game that I've ever played), Super Mario World, Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3, more Castlevania games, more Zelda games (A Link to the Past!!), etc. Cheap, fun games with a lot of replayability. Can't beat it.

I would like to have a PSP just to play the Metal Gear and Power Stone games, but not much else has grabbed my attention.

Edited by karamazov80

I have a Crimson DS Lite and the R4 Cart (100% game compatibility)

LOVE IT

I can't games on a large screen, makes me sick, the small screen is perfect.

However, I am currently trying to pick up a PSP too... why? Here's what I'm finding (i have not played the PSP much yet, for what it's worth.0

DS LITE---- Game INTERACTION. With the right games you feel PART of the game. you know the PC games you have to use the Joystick or Mouse AND the keyboard.... kinda like that, but BETTER. Some games use Voice too. Amazing. I can't imagine playing an Adventure 1st person shooter without the Touch Interface.

PSP ---- Game DEPTH.

No doubt the graphic and sound quality, and power, is much greater on a PSP.

So, it's DEPTH VS INTERACTION.

Kind also the kind of games you play. Nothing like shooting and stabbing a ton of zombies right where you want on a DS, haha.

I plan on using a PSP for those "different" games that I really want a deeper, longer story and be wowed by the visual play-- and for movies. But for all-round, pickup and have fun, it's the DS

Good luck

PS- AVOID THE WHITE DS LITE, they had early hinge faults... if possible, get a later black, blue or Crimson !

I agree with neo. It's all about what you are looking for. The PSP is definitely a media device, but for pure gameplay I would highly recommend the DS. In fact, the DS is my favorite gaming console, portable or otherwise, period. Lots of innovative gameplay with the touch screen, online gaming, and an enormous library of quality games.

Here are some of my favorites:

Elite Beat Agents

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Pokemon Diamond/ Pearl (and I'm 34! What a nerd!)

Mario Kart DS

New Super Mario Bros.

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

Touchmaster

Clubhouse Games

Animal Crossing (and I'm 34 and straight! What a major nerd!)

The DS does offer a web browser, but it's crap. Even though I prefer the DS, but if you want to watch movies and surf the WWW then maybe the PSP is for you.

I have both. and I must say a PSP is way better...but only if you hack it. I put a CFW in my PSP which did a whole host of things for it:

Now it can play PS1 games

I can add emulators to play games on the following systems:

NES

SNES

GBC

GBA

Sega Genesis

so it pretty much became an Arcade machine in my pocket. the only thing I dont like about is its kind of bulky. and it also doubles as my MP3 player.

thanks everybody for the input. i went today and ended up getting a ds. i got mario cart, brainage and mairo and sonic at the olympics. i plan on getting Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, New Super Mario Bros., and Guitar Hero: On Tour also.

have no fear PSP lovers, i still want a psp! ;)

Ah, Guitar Hero: On Tour! One of the best handheld games ever! I've been playing a ton the last two days and I'm addicted. It's just like playing the console game, only on the go. I now keep a pair of ear buds crapped around my DS. All Good!!