UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

waves 23& 24

bilbofett

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently DST is getting a lot of my money in the near future. Not only was I planning on getting the Nova/Gamora and War Machine/Spymaster packs but I want every one of these Spidey sets. I'm super excited to finally be able to get a Cosmic Spidey, Black Costume Spidey, Tarantula, Shocker and even a new Venom. Add in the Invaders set, and I forsee a very minimate Christmas (most likely to myself, from myself). :tongue:

BBTS now has 23 up for pre-order, $24 for a set of 8 (variant included).

It's cool to see that the availability/pricing of the variant packs that started with series 19 & 20 is continuing.

AFX were doing this since Wave 16 .

Really?...hmm didn't realize that, I was looking mainly at CSC and BBTS who would have a variant set available but the cost would be $35-ish.

When CSC dropped their variant set prices to $20 for 19 & 20 I assumed it was because DST was adding more variant packs per case, if that is the reason for the price drop then I want to give DST a hearty thanks!

Edited by hypno

When CSC dropped their variant set prices to $20 for 19 & 20 I assumed it was because DST was adding more variant packs per case, if that is the reason for the price drop then I want to give DST a hearty thanks!

Still just one variant per case. I don't know how CSC could offer such a good deal on them without losing money, but then, I don't know what their wholesale price for Minimates is. . .

Judging by what Ol Tooth is wearing i'd say thats a WWII flash back. They have been shooting heaps of different scenes on a beach near where i live. Havent been able to get through the police barricades yet though :(

Still just one variant per case. I don't know how CSC could offer such a good deal on them without losing money, but then, I don't know what their wholesale price for Minimates is. . .

I think it depends on where you get your cases. Back in this thread I mentioned purchasing 3 BSG Wave 3 variant sets and 3 Star Trek Wave 2 variant sets from AFX. They shipped what looked to be DST factory sealed cases, both containing 3 variant sets. (Pics in the link.)

Of course, just because they are doing two different assortments for BSG and Trek doesn't mean they are also doing it for Marvel. But it certainly looks like they are giving certain high-volume retailers even packed assortments across the product line.

• 5 weeks later...

Cool, these look pretty good! The spidey looks pretty definitive for me. The McFarlane one had too big eyes, and the Amazing Fantasy one had too narrow eyes, so this is in-between. The "Back in Black" spidey looks good, maybe better than the original due to the removable mask, and will give people a chance to get their hands on a popular costume variant. Tarantula looks okay, but I don't like the smile. Kraven looks awesome, perfect for the character. I love the rifle. Is it new? Shocker and Cap. Universe look okay, but I think there's something a little off about Shocker. Venom is last, and sadly least, IMO. Though this will probably be the definitive Venom due to the fact that this is his most comic-accurate look so far, the face looks HORRIBLE. If they change this, it will be a good addition to the surprisingly large amount of Venom's.

My thoughts,

Vig

GOOD GOD!!!! :sick:

you can throw stone's at me if you wish but they all look terrible 4 of those characters are a complete waste of space & they all have reused parts..., i can't see any new sculpts

why does venom look like my god son's halloween costume from last year????

i am very very disaspointed.......

also Kraven looks like he's wearing my gf's pajama bottoms...... just thought i'd throw that out there!

Edited by winkerbean

Those really look like rough customs that somebody put together. I'm surprised to see pics of such early mock-ups being released.

Regardless of that, though, I need that Kraven (and the really iconic looking, but less cutesy than wave 2, Spidey). The rest I can do without. I can only hope that the reason we aren't getting Vulture and Lizard is that they are coming in a new 4-pack. . .also, Cosmic Spiderman is lame.

Looks like bigbadtoystore has a pic of wave 24, looks pretty good

At first when I heard of this wave it sounded excellent but I have to say this picture has deflated me a little.

Spiderman- Looks good but I see much real difference from the AF 1 a few waves ago.

Venom- Uggh bad face looks like its been drawn by a child just looks messy. For me the blue highlighting is a little strong needs to be more subtle.

Capt Universe- Nice Figure captures the character well.

Kraven- Another good figure if I had to nit pick I would have preferred the lion waist coat to be open in the middle exposing the chest block instead of just a powerhouse chest piece, but I'll take what I can get.

Black Spidey- A simple design captured well again like the venom the blue highlights could do with toning down.

Shocker- I was so hyped for this figure and for me its a total miss. The yellow needs to be brighter and the padding lines much thinner. its not like they cant go thinner with the lines they have done it fine on all the Spidey mates. Also whats with the legs they just look wrong I know Shocker has had all brown but most of his appearances show some yellow padding if not all yellow on the legs.

Tarantula- like the figure I can live with the mouth but they should have gone for a more teeth together scowl. The major thing is where are the spikes on his feet! this is the main defining feature and attack of this villain. Leaving them out is like having a vulture mate with no wings.

All in all have to say this pic leaves me disappointed for what was such a strong wave. My only thing to look forward to now is if this is a proto photo and not a final release.

i'm all but ignoring both spideys and venom [may use the heads etc for their civilian counterparts, and i guess i could always use black limbs and torsos... and maybe give one of the unmasked Parkers the red/blue body], but captain universe, kraven, shocker and tarantula are all worth it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the wave now that I see it. On one hand, I pretty much expected exactly what we're getting, as I have been calling this a part reuse/catch up wave since it was announced. Still, seeing it kind of makes me sad too. Kraven, Shocker, and Tarantula could all benefit from a little more character specific attention that just can't be had with part reuse. Still Kraven looks great and the powerhouse piece really helps add the bulk from the lion head. An added bonus, and maybe one they considered when designing this assortment, you can take Kraven's head, hair, and gun, and stick it on Venom's body and have the Last Hunt Kraven. BIB Spidey's mask adds to that effect. The BIB Spidey better matches his box set appearance than the original Wave 2 Symbiote one. Of course, the need for Venom is completely negated by the fact that we just got that same figure, only with a regular head in the recent Spidey box set. Tarantula looks great, but really needs the pointy chews. A spare X3 Wolvie may be losing his claws soon. Shocker looks ok, but seems a bit off somewhere. I guess the costume just doesn't resemble the version I'm used to. Captain Universe is top notch, and can likely be used to customize most any incarnation that we've seen in comics. Finally, I wish they'd go back to making a separate head for Spidey's masks. He doesn't look right with a fat head.

All that said, I'll still get a case of these. I like the new villains and new Spideys, so I can swallow a few extra Venom parts. Of course, now I have to retire no fewer than 4 customs, but hey, mine weren't that different in concept anyway.

I prefer my custom Kraven to this one, but I will definitely take that Shocker and Tarantula (even though they aren't perfect). Captain Universe is a very nice minimate, and the new spideys and venom will be delicious parts fodder. :)

I will definitly be getting this wave, despite some dissapointment. I really like Shocker, Kraven and Tarantula, eventhough they aren't perfect. I love the Cosmic Spidey and REALLY hope it doesn't have a slip on mask, Spidey just doesn't look right with it, it makes him look like he has a helmet on and not a mask. BIB Spidey would be much better, again if it weren't for the helmet. The regular costume Spidey, well I don't really see the point... and Venom is just terrible with that gnashed mouth. And isn't it supposed to be "Transforming" Venom? I also agree that the blue highlights need to be toned down.

BS

Shocker- I was so hyped for this figure and for me its a total miss. The yellow needs to be brighter and the padding lines much thinner. its not like they cant go thinner with the lines they have done it fine on all the Spidey mates. Also whats with the legs they just look wrong I know Shocker has had all brown but most of his appearances show some yellow padding if not all yellow on the legs.

Completely agree with this. That Shocker would look so much better with that brighter yellow.

I love the Black Suit Spidey. It looks awesome for those who don't already have one. The Red suit one is very hard to get excited over. Very Hard.

Captain Universe looks like an interesting minimate, though I know nothing of the character.

I for one actually really like the look of the Venom. Maybe thats because I love the character. However I do wish we were given Vulture over Venom. Ah well. Hopefully the Transformation parts will make him seem more worthwhile.

Tarantula doesnt look all that exciting to me. I don't care much for the character.

Kraven is by far the best of the set. His face is awesome, and his outfit looks well done. I like that he gets a rifle too.

I am actually really looking forward to this wave now.

Looks like they spent the parts budget on wave 23...

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed there's not a single new piece in this wave. They got me all excited for Kraven, then drop a plain old powerhouse chest on me? And Shocker? C'mon, Magdelena's (Indymates) already-sculpted arm gauntlets would be perfect for him.

Looks like more custom clean-up work...

Edited by Lobsterman