UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Video Game News Room

neolego

****Disclaimer****

I thought I'd start a thread for new and rumors alike. We all seem to follow gaming in some capacity or another so I thought having a thread like this would give us a chance to share and discuss news and rumors. The only thing I ask is that if you are posting something please try to include a source just for validity!

****Disclaimer****

Now, What better to start this new thread with than news of a new Spider-Man game: Spider-Man vs Marvel Zombies!!

spideyvszombiesyv2.jpg

Source: Tons of Leaks

Now, I cannot tell you how amazing this game sounds. I would prefer they go back to a Cell Shaded-esque game like Ultimate Spiderman with Stylized Blood and Zombies. Either way though, if they can get the game back to the Glory of Spider-Man 2 this may be one of the best Spider-Man games to date!!

Be sure to check out that link for news on Marvel: Ultimate Aliance 2 (Civil War), a Spider-Man Ballance Board Game, and Miis for the Xbox 360!?!?! neo

Why does the game take place in 2149?

You know, that's a good question. There's really no telling until we know more. It could be that Spidey is sent Time Traveling and has to uncover the mystery of the outbreak or it could be a future version of the Spider-Man world where an outbreak happens or, my personal favorite, you actually start the game playing as Zombie Spider-Man and it's years in the future of the Zombie Univerise. Then, Pete actually discovers a cure and cures himself, then they rest of the game is trolling the city trying to save all your friends, that would be cool. Also, how many "current" NYC cites have we seen, maybe the team is just tried and working on the same pallet and wanted to take it to the future for a new backdrop!

and

Seriously Timbo?? A Marvel Zombies game sounds amazing to me!! It is because you didn't like Spider-Man 3 or because their are no hookers ?!?!? :P neo

Edited by neolego

Duke Nukem Forever has been releasing tons of media recently. I suspect it will be done by 2008 or 2009. Many Duke fans have been waiting since 1996. <_<

Here's a link to the jace hall show which has an expose on it.

Jace Hall Show Skip to like 2:48

Teaser trailer can be found at

Seriously Timbo?? A Marvel Zombies game sounds amazing to me!! It is because you didn't like Spider-Man 3 or because their are no hookers ?!?!? :P neo

It just sounds like a dumb idea! What exactly would make it fun and amazing or stand out from the crowd? Feel free to throw a pitch at me and sell this idea.

As for the hookers comment I'm starting to wonder about you Neo, you always have to mention them, is it healthy to be thinking of hookers as often as you do?

T.

It just sounds like a dumb idea! What exactly would make it fun and amazing or stand out from the crowd? Feel free to throw a pitch at me and sell this idea.

Ok, Here's the Pitch:

The Setting is New York City 2149!! The City has been ravaged by an Outbreak that has transformed everyone into flesh eating zombies. They have blown the bridges and contained the outbreak to Manhattan Island (Think I Am Legend). The Heroes that have so often saved this city from the brink of extinction are now it's cause. Welcome to Zombie New York!

The game would open with Zombie Spider-Man swinging around the city. The into level would be learning how to use the controls, much like any game. Since Zombie Spidey is crazy, you can make him be teaching hiself over again, just to show how far gone he is. Then, at the end of the first level you are zapped out of mid flight and taken underground. There you meet, (doesn't matter who), let's say Otto Octavious. He then administers an Antidote, thru a large industrial looking machine, to Spidey making him well again. Now, Spider-Man is the sole Hero left in a city of Heroes gone Bad. Spidey sets out to make things right, however instead of facing the likes of Sandman and Green Goblin, he is facing friends and former Teamates like Captain America and Wolverine!

The game would play much like Spider-Man 2 did. Combos for Attacks, Triggers for swinging, etc. If, during any fight, Spidey was to be bit by a Zombie Thug he would have a time limit in which he must reach the hidden location to be healed again. If you die, he will be eaten alive.

The game would look like Ultimate Spider-Man on the Last-Gen systems. Cell Shaded with very stylized graphics. One part over the top, but one part living comic. There would be an extremely large draw distance for the game. You would be able to enter Subway areas as well as Major Skyscrapers.

As you progress through the game you will unlock playable versions of the Heroes that you save. For instance, once Spidey defeats Wolverine, and takes him back to the Lab to be healed, you can now play the game as Wolverine. There will be challanges that Wolvie will be able to tackle easier than Spidey, as well as Zombies that are better matched for to his skill level. If you are fighting, say, Daredevil you may want to use Spider-Man for High Flying, leaping, acrobatic moves. But, if you are fighting Hulk, you may want to use Wolverine for a more brute power and healing factor!

Through the game you will fight and unlock Heroes such as Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Thor, Hulk, Wolverine, Sentry, and others. There will also be appearances by other leading characters in the Marvel U.

So, that's my pitch. What do ya think???

As for the hookers comment I'm starting to wonder about you Neo, you always have to mention them, is it healthy to be thinking of hookers as often as you do?

T.

Well, it's more healthy than beating them with a bat ;) ! neo

Edited by neolego

Ok, Here's the Pitch:

The Setting is New York City 2149!! The City has been ravaged by an Outbreak that has transformed everyone into flesh eating zombies. They have blown the bridges and contained the outbreak to Manhattan Island (Think I Am Legend). The Heroes that have so often saved this city from the brink of extinction are now it's cause. Welcome to Zombie New York!

The game would open with Zombie Spider-Man swinging around the city. The into level would be learning how to use the controls, much like any game. Since Zombie Spidey is crazy, you can make him be teaching hiself over again, just to show how far gone he is. Then, at the end of the first level you are zapped out of mid flight and taken underground. There you meet, (doesn't matter who), let's say Otto Octavious. He then administers an Antidote, thru a large industrial looking machine, to Spidey making him well again. Now, Spider-Man is the sole Hero left in a city of Heroes gone Bad. Spidey sets out to make things right, however instead of facing the likes of Sandman and Green Goblin, he is facing friends and former Teamates like Captain America and Wolverine!

The game would play much like Spider-Man 2 did. Combos for Attacks, Triggers for swinging, etc. If, during any fight, Spidey was to be bit by a Zombie Thug he would have a time limit in which he must reach the hidden location to be healed again. If you die, he will be eaten alive.

The game would look like Ultimate Spider-Man on the Last-Gen systems. Cell Shaded with very stylized graphics. One part over the top, but one part living comic. There would be an extremely large draw distance for the game. You would be able to enter Subway areas as well as Major Skyscrapers.

As you progress through the game you will unlock playable versions of the Heroes that you save. For instance, once Spidey defeats Wolverine, and takes him back to the Lab to be healed, you can now play the game as Wolverine. There will be challanges that Wolvie will be able to tackle easier than Spidey, as well as Zombies that are better matched for to his skill level. If you are fighting, say, Daredevil you may want to use Spider-Man for High Flying, leaping, acrobatic moves. But, if you are fighting Hulk, you may want to use Wolverine for a more brute power and healing factor!

Through the game you will fight and unlock Heroes such as Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Thor, Hulk, Wolverine, Sentry, and others. There will also be appearances by other leading characters in the Marvel U.

So, that's my pitch. What do ya think???

T.

Well, it's more healthy than beating them with a bat ;) ! neo

1) The Pitch... So in summary Spiderman 2 re-skinned with unlockable characters... Nope still not interested.

(BTW What is it with nintendo fans and unlockable characters! ;) )

2) Hookers... I have yet to hit a hooker with a baseball bat in GTA4, perhaps that would be your first instinct but I've been have too much fun with the main storyline and online to consider it, just because you can doesn't mean that I have to.

T.

How much of that info is fact based and how much is speculation neo? I'd love a game where you can play as the Sentry, but then it makes you wonder how he got infected?

The game that stands out for me on that link is Transformers 2 :D. I love the first game, but it did seem somewhat simplistic, and lacked multiplayer. If this one has online gameplay it would be awesome, and more controls to it would make it more interesting. How cool would it be to have a 6 way robot battle in the middle of a city? I can't wait to hear about more information on this game.

To Dan:

None of that is based on fact! Timbo wanted me to pitch him an idea to make him want the game so I attempted to do that (too bad his taste in games sucks ;) ). The only thing that's "fact" is the Leak Sheet I posted first.

Also, that is so funny that you said that about Transformers the game. You are the only person that I've talked to personally who has even remotely liked that game. In fact, so many of my friends hated that game that I never bought it or played it. Maybe it's time to check the ol' bargan bins!!

To Timbo:

Ok, enough with the Hookers/GTA arguments.......I know, I know, I started it. Old wound, my bad, lol. As for my game being "Re-Skinned Spider-Man 2" I would say heck no. If anything it's an amalgam of both Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 (the best 2 games to date). However, the game play would need to be updated, but I'm not a developer so I don't know what to say. More combos would be a plus. I've also thought a Swing Mechanic using the Right Stick would be really cool. "Click" the stick to shoot a web, than Pull down the the stick to swing, release the stick to let go of the web and "Click" again for the next web. You could push up to crawl up the web, Rotate Left and Right to pull off Mid-Air web attacks and you could quickly pull down and push up for a zip line. Again, I was going for more of a premise than an actual design, I'm sure they will come up with some new features for the new game.

As for unlockable characters, I don't get the Nintendo Fanboy burn. Maybe it went over my head. I'm not a big fan of "Unlockable Skins" ala Spider-Man or Hulk or Iron Man, etc. I'm more of a fan of actual unlockable characters ala Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. If you were to unlock actual characters (not skins) you would get an all new set of combos, power ups, moves, etc. You would be playing the game from a completely different point of view, rather than the same one with new cloths on. And that, would open up a lot of new gameplay options for a tired Spider-Man franchise. neo

Edited by neolego

I would go for a "Dead Rising"-type sequel where you controlled Spidey or some other superheroes, and had to fight tougher bosses. Being a huge zombie fan, that game was one of the main reasons that I got a 360 in the first place, and I'm still waiting for the sequel that may never come :(

I dunno Neo, to be honest it's not hugely appealing to me either.

Probabl because there WON'T be unlockable characters and because now that all the heroes are "zombies" it will give them excuses to use crappy AI.

Add that to the fact that is only 1 of 14 Spidey games they'rte working on it just goes thow they're going for quantity over quality.

SOURCE:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168247

Perhaps they should scrap the Spider-Man idea and make it Marvel Zombis. Just Marvel Zombies. Then make it play like Ultimate Alliance and XML.

Here's a pitch that may make Timbo want to buy a Marvel Zombies game. Yes you do have to unlock.

It begins wth a cutscene. Magneto, on Asteroid M, opens a portal to another dimension and brings out the Zombie Sentry. that's where gameplay begins. You take control of Zombie Sentry (henceforth called Z Sentry or Z Wolverine because I'll get tired of writing out Zombie) and after a small time learning how to play (while eating humans and killing SHIELD agents of course) the Avengers attack. Well, two of the Avengers attack. As Z Sentry, you must fight and defeat Captain America and Hawkeye. Then here's the fun part. When you defeat them, you unlock one of them. Yes, just one. You must choose which hero to bite and turn into a Zombie and which hero to utterly devour leaving no chance for a Z version of him. The story progresses with some battles of your team vs one hero where you automatically unlock him (Spider-Man) and some where he can't be unlocked (Nick Fury). And in some battles your group must face two enemies which allows for the choice of who is Zombified or not (Giant man and Wasp will be one of these). And yes it will always be your choice in the double battles there is no double battles where you unlock both. All of this leads your chosen Zombie hoarde to a massive manhunt for Magneto, an amazing battle with Silver Surfer, the coming (and fall) of Galactus and then... the game ends. yes, there is no MZ 2 here. But downloadable content makes the end a bit more interesting. Once you complete the game (kill Galactus) you may download planets for your Zombies to ravage. It's basically extra missions (with the posibility of a MZ 2 as one) which allow the Zombies to go all Galactus on the other worlds (Yes, you can collapse the Kree and Skrull empires). Also, once you kill Galactus, you unlock an alternate costume for each character which, of course, is the Galactus suit.

Sound like fun?

Would you buy it, or at least rent it Timbo?

Edited by Trekker 42

First of all, why does Tim's decision to buy a game make or break the game? Different people like different things.

Second, Marvel Zombies is one of those game ideas that could either be awesome or suck eternally. Spider-Man vs. Marvel Zombies sucks. It takes the premise of the original comic book and tosses that away in favor of beating a dead horse, much like MZ2 did. Ultimate Alliance, only with zombies would be a better approach, but even that is iffy. Every game has throw away villains and bosses, and there just wouldn't be a bunch of random thugs turned zombie in the Marvel Zombieverse. So your throw away villains would likely be someone's favorite character, meaning you have a decent chance of pissing off a large portion of your gamers.

But back on topic, I thought we already had a post-Apocalyptic Spider-Man game in the works?

First of all, why does Tim's decision to buy a game make or break the game? Different people like different things.

Because Timbo and I seem to disagree a lot on games though I'm not too verbal about it. I just want his opinion and anyone else's and see if I can pitch a game that someohe who I don't agree with would like.. Also in case you didn't know, my premise allows anyone who was zombified in the original series (not MZ2. That won't take place in this game) to be zombified in the game. So your only real characters not avaliable are Nick Fury, Black Panther, Acolytes, Magneto, and the Silver Surfer. Then perhaps more downloadable content or an, I don't know, expansion pack called MZ: Survival which lets you play as the non zombie characters and fight the hoarde. Imagine: Cripple Panther, Magneto, an Acolyte, and Nick Fury standing together and atempting to fight off a Zombie plague and lead a group of human survivors to safety on Asteroid M without being killed by Zombies or losing all of the humans. Sounds like a classic. Heck, that could be what this Spider-Man game is: Spidey is trying to lead this thrown together group of humans to someplace like the Baxter Building to hole up and make a last stand against the Zombies while one of the humans tries to repair an interdimensional transporter and get the hell out. Then they send a bomb through the transporter but Zombie SM gets through and Spidey must fight off his Zombie counterpart and destroy him before the plague spreads to this world. How's that for a SM VS MZ game?

But back on topic, I thought we already had a post-Apocalyptic Spider-Man game in the works?

You mean Web of Shadows or something like that? Well seeing what little I've seen of it, it looks fun, but too much like Black Suit SM War of the Worlds. I saw a screenshot or box art or something, I think it was in the current Nintendo Power, and it showed a WOTWish tripod clearly

Personally I'm for Ultimate Alliance 2. Civil War baby! Awesome!

As much as I love Zombies this is one of those things where I am going to have to see it first before I decide. Like Drgnrbrn316 said, they have a chance to make this absolutely awesome or suck royaly.

Neolego, did they have screenshots of the games or something in that link for the source? When I went on it they had already been removed...

Ant ideas when Ultimate Alliance 2 is going to be coming out or are these just pretty much rumors at this stage?

About Spider-Man vs. Marvel Zombies, it's been confirmed those were just pitches, not solid releases. There are actually 14 other Spider-Man concepts roaming around, if any or all of those will ever make a release is in question. It's been said, maybe we will only see a few with bits and peices of each. You can read about them all here:

Spider-Man Concepts (Xbox Fanboy)

Other concepts are a sequal to Spider-Man Friends & Foes, Spider-Man and X-Men in the Savage Land, a First-Person Spider-Man Game, and a Spider-Man game using the Wii Ballance Board. Again, this are all just loose talked concepts!

As for confirmed games, Activision has confirmed that both a sequel to both Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Spider-Man will be released this year. From what we've heard at various places online both are confirmed.

We know the Spider-Man game as Web of Shadows. The game centers on the Symbiote suit and it's ability to take over Manhattan. How it's all put together we are not sure, but the pics and videos show the Black Suit covering buildings and destroying things. In the game you will be able to play as Red and Black Spidey and your actions are mirrored in the Civilians reaction to you. There will also be several other playable characters though out the game, Luke Cage among those. You can check out more on Web of Shadows Here:

Web of Shadows

Then, there is Ultimate Alliance 2, which we don't really know much about. Other than the fact that it's due out this year and it will take place in the Civil War storyline where you lead 1 team of Super Heroes against the opposing side. There is also going to be a Power Fusing option where you can join two powers to give your character a new power. For example, you could fuse Storm Lighting attack with Spidey's Web attack and get a Lighting Web Attack for Spider-Man. That is all speculation as of now since we have seen screens or a trailer yet. You can read the rumored info here:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (1UP)

Both games are scheduled for release this year. We will hear a lot more at E3 I'm positive, but I would assume that Spider-Man would be released in August/September and we will see Ultimate Alliance 2 October/November. neo

Edited by neolego

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the Link.

It's kind of a lame trailer, but what makes it worth watching is just knowing that the game is coming. I loved the first game (and X-Men Legends for that matter) and I can't wait to get my hands on UA 2. Plus it's going to draw on Secret War and Civil War.

Now, if we can just get a confirmation on a third to round out the trilogy that focuses on Secret Invasion I can die happy, lol! neo

• 6 months later...

I'm looking at the URL for that video... Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Colon Fusion?

Things are going to get messy in this game by the looks of things...

• 4 months later...