UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Customs by lastmaximal

boyd, hellpop -- what can I say, guys, I learned from the best. :D I'm very glad that they passed muster with their originators!

Punisher, MM, Squall, dr baghead... I am thrilled to see so much love for the Justice Friends. Now I'm even more tempted to make the entire roster!

Edited by lastmaximal

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of my favorite OYL series too, although I've yert to be able to track down an affordable TPB of 52 Pickup locally.

you have to make Capital G at least.

It's somewhat fitting that he was the first one I remembered when I was telling my brother about the expanded roster. That was just one of the cleverest names full stop.

• 2 months later...

Fresh from another harrowing disappearance, I return for more perpetually-insecure rambling about my semi-skilled take on the DC Universe!

The last couple of months have really been something else. Haven't even been able to check in here for more than a few minutes at a time! Sort of a blur, really, but one I wouldn't have missed for the world as some really good life stuff has FINALLY come together. It looks like this is the pattern I'll continue to be playing with in the foreseeable future, but I'm glad just to be able to still do this after almost two (!!!) years since I started. I've finally been able to get around to painting again of late, thankfully, with a bit of time to myself the last couple of weeks and an infusion of parts, to boot! Now, if only I could scrape together some cash to start replacing some goopy old paint pots...

Here goes!

th_DSC03823.jpgth_DSC03826.jpgth_DSC03827.jpgth_DSC03828.jpgth_DSC03829.jpgth_DSC03830.jpgth_DSC03831.jpgth_DSC03835.jpgth_DSC03838.jpgth_DSC03839.jpgth_DSC03840.jpgth_DSC03841.jpgth_DSC03843.jpgth_DSC03844.jpgth_DSC03845.jpgth_DSC03846.jpgth_DSC03847.jpgth_DSC03849.jpgth_DSC03850.jpgth_DSC03851.jpgth_DSC03854.jpgth_DSC03855.jpgth_DSC03856.jpgth_DSC03857.jpgth_DSC03858.jpgth_DSC03859.jpgth_DSC03861.jpg

RED LANTERN ATROCITUS

To make this guy I had to wait until an eBay order came in with an Action League Atrocitus, whose shoulderpads I ganked and put on a 2.5" body. A Kilowog head replaced my originally selected standard-2.5" head, and I used TENIME's Atrocitus face decal. The clear red looks much darker and deeper in person, but it does still show that my clear red is thickening up and getting a bit difficult to work with.

GANGBUSTER

As an 80s/90s Superman support character -- and, indeed, one of the few I knew of -- Gangbuster had always been on my list to get around to. Finally got a spare Minimate whose shoulderpads looked right for the part -- DC's Green Arrow -- as well as a policeman T-1000 helmet to complete his signature parts. Standard gloves, w36 Silver Centurion boots and Power Man's chain belt rounded it all out.

LADY VIC

Somewhere down the line I decided to get around to fleshing out my Bludhaven Rogues as well, reminded by how intrigued by them I'd been when I first discovered the Nightwing ongoing back in the day. Lady Vic made good use of an X3 Beast jacket and cut-up Menace mask; two Gamora swords got their tips cut off to become her bundi daggers.

DOUBLE DARE - ALIKI AND MARGOT MOREAU

Great concept for Bludhaven rogues -- twin acrobats who are out for Nightwing? Sign me up. I dug up a couple of Ultimate Jean Grey torsos that I applied decals to for the torsos. An Ultimate Jean Grey hairpiece also went to Margot, while Aliki's hair is from an X-Force Psylocke.

GUY GARDNER, WARRIOR

More 90s-ness ahoy. The thankfully short-lived EXTREEM GUY GARDNER phase gave us this fun diversion into horrible beweaponedness -- I'll get around to giving him his arm-guns later on -- with Guy being a fairly easy decal job. Kneepads are from Lady Loki, I think.

"THE DARK KNIGHT" - 'HONOR GUARD' JOKER

Inspired in equal parts by a MAX Minimate cop figure I got in the mail and Mattel's "Batman Legacy" honor Guard Joker, this was also a good chance to tweak and reuse the "The Dark Knight" Joker face decal I had handy.

"NEW KRYPTON" BRAINIAC

Another good way to use a 2.5" Minimate as well as generate a non-Brainiac 13 version of this Superman nemesis. Original decals for the face and chest. The top of his head features more painted-on plug things.

VIXEN

Finally got around to making a Vixen and the results are mixed -- put a lot of work into the face deca, only to have most of the eyebrows obscured by the Power Girl hairpiece [nobody quite has JLU Vixen's hair] and make her look bored. Tweaked my Oracle torso decal and added the bone necklace bits.

PHANTASM

Another long-awaited one made even more interminably long-awaited by my reluctance to go back to my usual bad sculpting [it gets harder to work with epoxyclay each time, I keep forgetting how I made it work the previous time]. Still, reasonably happy with this -- used an original face decal and someone's Dr. Doom hood-cape recipe [luke? boyd?], and added cut-up Deadman boot tops.

COUNT VERTIGO

In my "Young Justice" catching-up I saw the episode Coldhearted, which was the first thing to ever make me give a damn about this character. Picked his earlier comic look to make; this is the first of probably many customized Gamora capes with added blister-bubble plastic flare. Original face and chest decals and cut-up NXM Cyclops hair to go over his mask. Really dig how the lines on the inside of the cape turned out.

RED LANTERN VEON

Part interest in the design, part wanting to give Atrocitus a good number of troops [Veon joins Bleez and Skallox]. Some sculpting on top of a Green Goblin bonnet, and the rest is paint.

JUSTICE GUILD - BLACK SIREN

My love for obscure stuff and alternate character versions strikes again, this time with the Justice Guild! Partly inspired by the fact that Mattel actually bothered to make JLU figures of this team, I went about looking for reference pictures and decided to make my own. Seemed simple enough. Original face and torso for Black Siren, plus Warbird hair.

JUSTICE GUILD - TOM TURBINE

Mostly by-the-numbers for this one, with a hairpiece and face reuse and original torso decal. Cut some packaging plastic up to make his circular belt piece.

JUSTICE GUILD - CATMAN

Another Catman made with a Wildcat mask, albeit a modified one. That's Unmasked SM3 Peter Parker's goofy grin underneath. Venom hands, Batman belt, original torso decal.

JUSTICE GUILD - GREEN GUARDSMAN

Getting the right shade of green here was the main annoyance, although his packaging-plastic-enhanced Gamora cape turned out a bit better than Count Vertigo's. Original face and torso decals, a BSG hairpiece, lots of indecision on paint.

JUSTICE GUILD - THE STREAK

Original face and torso decals. Didn't want to go out to buy another Silver T-1000 for the helmet, so I used a Sgt. Rock helmet and a cut-up hairpiece to make a new one.

ONYX

I will get around to Orpheus someday. I thought of Onyx after Googling some reference pictures, and she seemed a simple enough one to make with some shirt decals and an Ultimate Storm body for everything else.

BATMAN INCORPORATED: NIGHTRUNNER

Bob Harris' recipe for this was excellent, and I followed the spirit if not the letter. Original decals for face and torso. A Shocker mask and a Psylocke sash made his mask, while some MArvel [belt], Ghostbusters [elbowpads], Street Fighter [gloves] and MAX [boots/kneepads] parts rounded out the rest of him. Decided to make the belt yellow/ochre to match some reference art and make him not-monochrome.

BATMAN INCORPORATED: WINGMAN

He SEEMS to have been part of Batman Inc, according to some reference pictures. Maybe it's New 52, I dunno. But this Club of Heroes dropout was an easy one that reminded me of Azbats [THERE'S one I pray to someday have the skill for]. Modified Magneto cape with packaging plastic side panels, Crimson Dynamo helmet with mouth cut out and sculpted bat-like ears, and a metallic Regal Blue mix.

BATMAN OF ZUR-EN-ARRH

Number 300, who would have thought it? Surprise, surprise, it's a Batman. Repainted Batman parts [took a cutter to the cape to tatter it about a bit], with an NXM Wolverine head under the mask for the grin and some marker-drawn stubble. In his left hand he holds... the Bat-Radia! [actually DCD Batgirl's Utility Purse].

METRON with MOBIUS CHAIR

Ah, finally, another use for a spare w37 Prof X hoverchair. Metron was always cool and yet such a simple custom [just some pretty involved face and torso decal design], and I wonder why it took me so long to get around to him. Then again, I don't go Fourth World a lot in general, so maybe it's that. The Mobius Chair was a fun little challenge, with a spare circular stand and the top of an old Juggernaut helmet being the main physical add-ons aside from some packaging plastic.

CLUB OF VILLAINS: CHARLIE CALIGULA

A w38 Iron Fist hairpiece turned out to be perfect with just some sculpting for the laurel leaves. Tried to get the face decal to look like the Tony S. Daniel art with Charlie's wrinkly face, but small thin lines don't come across as clearly as one would like sometimes. Also, I had a dearth of suits that were not w37 Professor X's, so I just went ahead and painted this his custom turquoise shade although it's a bit bulky for the character.

CLUB OF VILLAINS: EL SOMBRERO

This guy carries bulkiness better. Very happy with how the lucha mask decal turned out, but I still want to track down a Lego sombrero for him.

CLUB OF VILLAINS: KING KRAKEN

Once I'd started with Charlie the rest was all downhill -- I HAD to make them all right away [and I almost succeeded!]. The parts almost presented themselves -- a slipover mask with a decal, Juggernaut gloves and some old Thor boots, a torso extender, and AOA Sabretooth's torso turned out to be a perfect combo. The cut-up Omega Red tentacles make for decent hoses, but they were hell to superglue on.

CLUB OF VILLAINS: SWAGMAN

Forgot to give him a gun, heh. Modified Ma Hunkel put-helmet with a decal for eyes, Ultimate Sabretooth coat.

CLUB OF VILLAINS: PIERROT LUNAIRE

I'm still weirded out that I was able to get so many all-white parts so fast [Movie Jigsaw upper body and skirt/shirt-extension, Dagger legs]. Sculpted his fez/cap thing, as well as his big shirt buttons, and cut up an NXM Jean Grey jacket for his big collar.

CLUB OF VILLAINS: SCORPIANA

This one was pretty deceptive in its simplicity. A White Queen turned out to be the perfect base, with just a new chest decal and a custom Beaten Purple/Ice Blue/Mithril Silver mix. Modified IM2 Mark II open helmet, with some of the claws and one tail spike from the Mega Bloks dragon figure that gave its wings to Bleez. Oh, and a snippet of packaging plastic painted clear blue [perhaps a bit too much] for her visor.

Whew! That is a lot of Minimates before I disappear again for a bit. What's to come in the future? The remaining Club of Villains member/s? Other superteams? A return to Justice Friends? Who knows? Thanks to all of you who keep checking these out!

No doubt about it, Metron's the standout of this batch. But really nice work as always.

BTW, dunno if you've seen it, but since you've last been around we've started a decal thread for, well, sharing decals. I've posted a bunch of DC things, so hopefully you'll find some things of use (and, y'know, share Metron :biggrin: ).

Another great batch! Really like your Gangbuster and your reuse of the Green Arrow chestpiece, and your decals for Brainiac and Metron are incredible! And I have to make myself a Batman of Zur-En-Arrh one of these days...