UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

dj87 / bobafett's Customs Thread

nice quick custom, I just finished watching the series again too. Too bad the other animation house totally lost the look of the original.

I know what you mean, but there were real problems throughout... in the first couple of episodes Morph's jacket keeps appearing and disappearing within the space on seconds, each time they change angle.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just another little update, here is some stuff I've had sitting around for a few weeks, but haven't been able to post, having been boxed up in the middle of a big move.

Sebastian Shaw

The body is repainted 90s Prof X. I've had the body sitting around waiting for a head for some time, while i was waiting for the Bacon Shaw. I did, however, opt for Luke's decal, as it was far more fitting to his comic look. The hair is a repainted BTTF Biff, though I'm pretty sure its the same piece that comes with Bacon.

2011-07-10173425.jpg

Loki

I've updated my comic Loki again, repainting and adding the movie helmet. I look forward to adding the SDCC face.

2011-07-10175629-1.jpg

fighting Thor...

2011-07-10175729.jpg

Scarecrow

My first proper sculpting job (the hat), entirely repainted mate with Deathstrike hands and a Ryu waist piece.

2011-07-10180127-1.jpg

a few simple ones, no points for creativity or originality... Johnny Storm, Pete Wisdom and Madelyne Pryor

if someone can tell me where Madelyne's hairpiece comes from though, then theres major kudos in it for you.

2011-07-10175937-1.jpg

2011-07-10180027-1.jpg

2011-07-10175833-1.jpg2011-07-10175850-1.jpg

Giant Man

this is the one I've been really excited about sharing, Luke cooked up some wonderful decals for me. He is 3", obviously... not sure what else to say really, except that I absolutely love it. If anyone fancies making one themselves, ask nicely and I'm sure Luke will stick the decals on the factory.

2011-07-10173536-1.jpg

2011-07-10173805.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hadn't stopped by here in awhile.

Thank you again for crediting me for the Black Manta and Captain Cold. It's nice when somebody remembers and gives a little credit. :)

That said, your stuff looks absolutely amazing and I'm super jealous of your Kang, amongst many others. The Sebastian Shaw looks like an actual release, for one, and seeing so many much-wanted characters (including DC ones *sob*) makes me green with envy!

GREAT job!

thanks folk, very much appreciated

It isn't BD Starbuck I'm afraid, she seems to have the same hair as Power Girl, Rachel Grey, etc. This hairpiece is slightly different on (her) right. It hasn't been painted or modified in any way. It's bothering me a lot more than it probably should.

I realised that it wasn't a standard hairpiece but assumed you knew what it was ...were teasing us ...& that it had been modified by you. So you don't know where it came from ?! I was studying the Database for ages yesterday & at one point thought it was a painted Goth Girl. Thinking laterally I was assuming it may be an alternative hairpiece from a C3(?) 'mate ,Ivantobealone's site doesn't show all of these .

I have no idea whatsoever, genuinely hoping someone could help. Show me any piece made and I can usually tell you where it came from, but this has me stumped.

It doesn't feel C3-esque, and doesn't have that usual rubbery texture (plus it does have a peg).

*sigh*

Its certainly not a messed up Rachel Grey, as its a distinctly different piece on that side... there are similarities, but enough differences in the hairlines. It is finished perfectly as well, there are no blemishes or signs of warping. It has definitely been made like that on purpose.

Not sure about factory reject either, sure its possible but I'm confident I'd have noticed when receiving the figure.

Is it possible some Rachel Greys were made with this different hairpiece, then for one reason or another they ended up reverting to the earlier mold? This is the only thing I can think of, albeit somewhat far fetched. I normally inspect mates on arrival, but its possible I neglected some Rachels, having bought 5 (all MIB) for the Sentinels.

I'll try and get a better photo or something tomorrow.

That Giant Man looks great (it's a custom I've had on the workbench for a while, and like many other, have never gotten around to finishing it).

Here's a question for our resident Marvel canon experts (coughMirycough): What is technically the "correct" chest design for this incarnation of Giant Man, the single line that branches off into two from the dot (as shown above), or the "suspenders" look with just two separate lines? And does one of those or the other correlate with the zig-zag pattern on the gloves and boots you sometimes see on this character?

Its certainly not a messed up Rachel Grey, as its a distinctly different piece on that side... there are similarities, but enough differences in the hairlines. It is finished perfectly as well, there are no blemishes or signs of warping. It has definitely been made like that on purpose.

My TRU Cannonball’s coat was messed up in the factory, the edge on one side is half the size it should be but the end is rounded and looks ‘finished’ I actually had to look at pictures other people had taken of their Cannonballs to realize I had gotten a flawed coat rather then him having some weird half-coat on his left side.

The point being, the rounded ends on Cannoball’s coat look a lot like the ‘new sculpt’ on the Rachel Grey hair piece used. The newly created bang on the screen-left side is practically identical. The Power Girl hairpiece is one of my favorites so I know what it looks like and there’s no way that’s not a Power Girl hair piece cast in red with whatever happened to my Cannonball’s coat giving her a saucier new do on the left side.

What is technically the "correct" chest design for this incarnation of Giant Man, the single line that branches off into two from the dot (as shown above), or the "suspenders" look with just two separate lines? And does one of those or the other correlate with the zig-zag pattern on the gloves and boots you sometimes see on this character?

Something of a Marvel history buff myself, I can answer this.

Short answer: Both are correct.

You see, the first appearance of Giant Man was in "Tales of Suspense" #49, vol. 1 with a cover date of November, 1963. This featured the single line moving upward from his waistband to form the giant dot on his chest, then breaking into two lines and going upward. This issue also features Pym shrinking back down to ant-size, but never donning the metallic helmet that's typically known to go along with his Ant-Man persona.

By the next issue, #50, he was showing off the "suspenders" look. I would assume that someone at Marvel decided that losing the helmet and having a cowl but keeping the same chest emblem wasn't different enough for a new persona. That's just my own conjecture, though.

(http://marvel.wikia.com/Tales_to_Astonish_Vol_1_49)

(http://marvel.wikia.com/Tales_to_Astonish_Vol_1_50)

Occasionally you'll see an image from the beginning of Giant Man's career depicting him with the "dot" image, such as in the Bruce Timm pencilled "Avengers" #1 1/2 special which came out in December of 1999. It's an early tale transitioning between Pym being Ant-Man in between issues #1 and #2 of the "Avengers" book. However this isn't a fluke, but is historically correct for the time. By issue #3 of the "Avengers" Pym would be wearing the "suspenders" look.

(http://marvel.wikia.com/Avengers_Vol_1_1)

(http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/features/images/stern_comic15.jpg)

(http://fortressboy.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/avengers-8.jpg)

(http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/100/bruce_timm.gif)

(http://marvel.wikia.com/Avengers_Vol_1_2)

(http://marvel.wikia.com/Avengers_Vol_1_3)

In conclusion, you can view the "big dot" emblem on Giant Man as his "1st appearance" outfit which would be changed within a few months of his hitting the scene, in favor of the "suspenders" look that he's most associated with. Also, he always was depicted with the "zig-zag" gloves and boots in these early tales, regardless of if he was Ant-Man or Giant Man.

Edited by Mystery Man

thanks again folks, and I'm very happy with that explanation dr b, cheers. Yeah, it was molded in orange plastic, and hadn't been customized in any way... I'm just glad we can put this whole fiasco behind us now!

oh, and thanks for answering Lobby for me, Matt. I love Hank and was pretty sure it was accurate, my only instructions to Luke were that I wanted a 3" scale version of the official release, just with a less miserable facial expression (what's not to love about being a giant man, eh). Quite frankly, I thought I'd ruin the mate completely if I tried to paint the zig zag boots and gloves.

Edited by bobafett

I think you'd have done just fine with the boot/glove designs, but you'd have to be very patient. Maybe cutting a piece of something and taping it down over the arm/legs so you could paint the lines straight?

Either way, zig-zag or not, you know I'm a big fan of this Giant Man. If DST only released a 4-pack of Giant Man, Goliath (yellow/blue), Goliath (Clint Barton shirtless version) and Black Goliath, I'd forgive them for never making another 3" mate again.

Either way, zig-zag or not, you know I'm a big fan of this Giant Man. If DST only released a 4-pack of Giant Man, Goliath (yellow/blue), Goliath (Clint Barton shirtless version) and Black Goliath, I'd forgive them for never making another 3" mate again.

Actually, could we have the 4 Goliaths boxed set? Goliath/Pym (blue/red), Goliath/Barton (shirtless red/blue), Black Goliath/Foster (black/yellow), and Goliath/Josten (brown/tan). All 3" mates. As long as we're asking for favorite oversized Pym Particle poppers.

Actually, could we have the 4 Goliaths boxed set? Goliath/Pym (blue/red), Goliath/Barton (shirtless red/blue), Black Goliath/Foster (black/yellow), and Goliath/Josten (brown/tan). All 3" mates. As long as we're asking for favorite oversized Pym Particle poppers.

Make it a 6-pack. One with Giant Man/Pym (includes two torso's to make either the "dot" or "suspender" version), blue/yellow Goliath/Pym, blue/red Goliath/Pym, shirtless Goliath/Barton , Black Goliath/Foster and brown Masters of Evil Goliath/Josten.

ooooooooo. That'd be cool. I always liked the way Perez drew him (okay that applies to just about every character out there, not just Pym) as Giant-Jacket, with the "wings" disappearing down to small ridges. And we're forgetting the blue/white Goliath costume. Now we're up to 8. You better get crackin' on those other 7 "prototypes", boba.