UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Movie Minimates Wish List

I added a poll yesterday at Minimate Headquarters listing some of the top grossing 80s movies. I asked what should be next for Movie Minimates and thought it might be fun to start a discussion here about it.

For the list, I picked iconic 80s movies that DST hasn't publically said they have already considered, such as Terminator and Star Wars.

What movies from the 80s would you like to see turned into Minimates? Also include an argument as to why you think they will sell well.

My personal favorite is The Untouchables. In the four-pack you would get:

* Robert DeNiro as Al Capone (iconic looking actor and iconic character/would sell the set alone!)

* Kevin Costner as Elliot Ness

* Sean Connery as Jim Malone

* Andy Garcia as Agent George Stone

This set would sell like gangbusters. It's a great, timeless movie with a fantastic cast. Not alot of Untouchables merchandise out there right now and a prequel called The Untouchables: Capone Rising has long been planned.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Princess Bride is the perfect movie nerd franchise for moviemates.

My dream pack would include:

Wesley as the Dread Pirate Roberts

Inigo

Buttercup in wedding dress

Fezzik (it would be awesome if they did him in 3" scale)

Obviously there are more than enough characters to do multiple packs – Humperdinck, Miracle Max, Vizzini, Count Rugen, the albino...it would even be cool to get a two-pack of Peter Falk as the grandfather and Fred Savage as the kid.

Also, Ghostbusters would be a great (and best-selling, no doubt) franchise with multiple pack possibilities.

Peter Venkman

Ray Stantz

Egon Spengler

Winston Zedemore

Accessories are easy; one proton pack sculpt works for all four characters. Silence of the Lambs provides Ray's night-vision goggles. Gotta include Slimer as an accessory in the pack, too. Other sets could include Dana, Louis, Gozer – heck, take a page out of the Classic BSG book and make a Zuul minimate!

I'm not sure if this is a possibility, as Ghostbusters is a Paramount movie, and so far DST's been sticking to MGM properties. But I can hope...

Edited by Lobsterman

I agree with you Lobersterman! I would love to see Princess Bride and Ghostbusters sets!

I'm not sure if this is a possibility, as Ghostbusters is a Paramount movie, and so far DST's been sticking to MGM properties. But I can hope...

It's funny that you mention that because I was examining the trademark printing on the recent TV and Movie Minimates and they say:

Universal for BTTF, Fox for 24 Minimates, something besides MGM for the FFDM Minimates. I think DST can do other movies besides just MGM ... Anyone care to correct me? Maybe this is a good Ask DST question ...

Austin Powers. The characters are recognizable from their outfits which works well with mates. I would want two inch scale, of course, which would make a Mini-me Mini-Mate mighty minuscule (and possibly difficult to make). Must make Mini-mate Mustafa as well. I think there are enough characters for a couple of waves but boxsets would work as well.

Oops. Not from the 80's, I just noticed that. I still say Austin Powers anyway.

GHOSTBUSTERS!!! (if this could be made and isn't, then I don't know what to say. This would probably sell better than all other movie-mates already released combined.)

For other 80s movies, I would like to see 'Mates made for the following, non-obvious films:

1) Raising Arizona-Mates (with baby and diaper-bag accessories, variant Nic Cage head with stocking)--nearly flawless film, huge cult following, John Goodman and Nic Cage-Mates, what else could you want?

2) Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2: criminally underappreciated horror film--I personally like this one more than the original. Huge cult following, but more importantly, think of the great, cool-looking Leatherface and Chop Top-Mates (with coat hanger, of course) that we could have! Plus, cowboy Dennis Hopper with 3 chainsaws! I think the 4th figure should actually be yuppie frat-boy with removable head. This might could be the greatest Minimate set ever. Seriously.

3) They Live!: I just want a Roddy Piper to fight my Hogan (please release Thunderlips DST!), and a cool, alien zombie-Mate. Plus, this set might force DST to figure out how to do decent, removable sunglasses.

4) This is Spinal Tap!: How awesome would this be? Seriously. Instead of a 4th Mate, you include a mini-Stonehenge. Hugely popular movie, would probably move some mates.

5) Crimes and Misdemeanors: Woody Allen seems born to be made into a cutesy, exaggerated toy, and I don't think there would be many complaints about an Alan Alda-Mate, either. Honestly, this one probably wouldn't sell too well, but I would promise to buy 3 of them if they were made :)

Of course, 2 films that have yielded many, many customs of major characters are Evil Dead 2 and Die Hard. My more obvious runners up apart from that would be First Blood, Aliens, Blade Runner, Blue Velvet (you will already have made the Hopper head for the TCM2 set, so why not? :) ), the Thing, Brazil (maybe not so obvious, but would be awesome), and the Shining.

However, there are so many non-80s movies that I would prefer to see made into 'Mates over those. . .particularly Maltese Falcon, Dr. Strangelove, something with Lee Marvin, and the Godfather (Brando, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and of course, John Cazale!) to name a few.

Edited by karamazov80

Here is what i want to see:

Big Trouble in Little China -

* Jack Burton / Gracie Law

* Wang Chi / Miao Yin

* David Lo pan / Egg Shen

* Margo / Eddie Lee

"Box" set - Thunder, Rain and Lightning

Spaceballs -

* Yoghurt / Dark Helmet

* Lone Star / Barf

* Princess Vespa / Dot Matrix

* Colonel Sandurz / President Skroob

* BAF parts for Mega-Maid

"Box" set - Pizza the Hutt / Vinnie

Since I can't select Army of Darkness....I choose the next best thing

Evil Dead 2 -

* Ash Williams / Linda

* Professor Raymond Knowby / Annie Knowby

* Jake / Bobby Joe

* Henrietta Knowby / Ed Getley

I've always loved the Kill Bill movies. I'd love to see two four packs (one for each film).

Kill Bill Vol 1:

• The Bride (yellow outfit)
  • Oren-Ishi
  • Go-go Yaburi
  • Crazy 88 soldier (with 3 interchangeable heads)

Kill Bill Vol 2:

• Beatrix Kiddo (battle damaged)
  • Elle Driver
  • Budd
  • Bill

EDIT: OOPS! Didn't see the 80's theme subject. Here's my 80's pick:

THE BREAKFAST CLUB (It has to be a 5 pack or else it just won't work)

• Andy Clark (Estevez)
  • John Bender (Nelson)
  • Claire Standish (Ringwald)
  • Allison Reynolds (Sheedy)
  • Brian Johnson (Hall)
Edited by MINI_MYTE

If I can do a series from before the 80s, during the 80s and after the 80s, I would say TOHO KAIJU!

I can see it now: for two packs, no variants, one exclusive per wave/era of the Godzilla series, one boxset per the same, no compatability with other lines, but it would kick ass

Wave one: Showa Era (First era of Godzlla)

Godzilla with archnemesis King Ghidorah

Rodan with Mothra

Gigan and Titanosaurus

Mechagodzilla and Angurius

Exclusive: The Kings: King Kong and King Caesar

Boxset: Destroy All Monsters: Minilla, Baragon, Varan, Kumonga (This is a fanboy boxset by far.)

Wave Two: Heisei Era (Second age. Began in 80s. I find it to be the Golden Age of Godzilla)

Godzilla 1984/ Biollante

Destoroyah/Battra

Mecha Ghidorah/Super Mechagodzlla w/ removable Garuda

Spacegodzilla/Fire Rodan

Exclusive: MOGUERA/Burning Godzilla

Boxset: Children of the Heisei: Babygodzilla, Littlegodzilla, G-Jr. Larval Battra

Wave Three: Millennium (The Third Age Began in 2000)

Godzilla 2000/Orga (For tose who don't know, he fought this guy in Godzilla 2000. Watch that one, Orga is rather cool.)

Megagurius/Keizer Ghidorah

Baragon/FW Hedorah

Mechagodzilla 3/FW Rodan

Exclusive: Zilla (Heh heh heh. For those who don't know this is the American Godzilla. In Final Wars, it took Godzilla about nine seconds to kick his ass) / Larva Mothra

Boxset: Godzilla: Final Wars (What else would you do?): Monster X, FW King Caesar, FW Gigan, FW Kamacuras.

Now, you could go into seies like the Mothra and Rebirth of mothra, but I'm not going to as i would be here all day.

Anyway, Ghostbusters would rock as would Bond.

Edited by Trekker 42

I would like Die Hard minimates, since I have recently rented them all and enjoyed them.

I know they have palzs of them ( Don't they?) <_<

But I would still prefer them in mate form. (palz seem like a cheaply done minimate)

Yipee Ai Kai Yay... :woot:

I really tried with the 80's thing but to no avail.....however how's about my ol' droogs in Clockwork Orange (70's)post-638-1211750346_thumb.jpg

All you'd really need is a load of 'FCBD Whites'* , a load of C3 Riddler bowlers** & er..um..er ...some long phallic prosthetic noses...***

*sorted :thumbsup:

**sorted(pending) :thumbsup:

*** :unsure: ...have to check out the 'parts for trade' thread...viddy well elst get a tolchock in the yarbles :yes:

Ghostbuster would be a sweet four back although they would totally have to include a slimer. Also die hard would be cool to remember when plaz did them and they were cool and everyone in the forum was all "dude AA should make those." I wonder if they will not that palz are gone? those sold pretty well, I only saw them one time and when i went back they were all gone.

A good set would be Behind Enemy Lines: with the pilot(Lt. Chris Burnett) That Sniper dude the Admiral and then some other Red Crown member

I'd have to say that of all the titles from the Poll, Ghostbusters would be the most interesting. Though I like Ferris Bueller & The Untouchables, and Top Gun was OK - I think Ghostbusters has the most minimate potential.

I imagine the packs would have to be molded into a large chest piece, and the Buffalo Bill goggles could be a slightly re-tooled for Ray. The PKE meter and ghost traps would be simple and appropriate accessories. Sadly, the one ultimate accesory that we would never see is the Ecto1.

The good news is that the 4 ghostbusters would be little more than slight variations of the same body & paint app, with different naetags, heads & hair.

I think 2 box sets would actually be a great fit for this license:

Set 1: Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, Louis Tully, Gozer (who wouldn't like to see a Gozer mate?)

Set 2: Dr. Peter Venkman, Winston Zeddmore, Dana Barrett, Janine Melnitz,

Then I'd like to see a 2-pk exclusive like Slimer w/ slimed Peter Venkman

I think Slimer might be accomplished by crossing the blob-ish sculting/style of Clayface, with some type of translucent base like Sandman or the Human Torch that mates into the bottom of the torso.

I'd have to say that of all the titles from the Poll, Ghostbusters would be the most interesting. Though I like Ferris Bueller & The Untouchables, and Top Gun was OK - I think Ghostbusters has the most minimate potential.

I imagine the packs would have to be molded into a large chest piece, and the Buffalo Bill goggles could be a slightly re-tooled for Ray. The PKE meter and ghost traps would be simple and appropriate accessories. Sadly, the one ultimate accesory that we would never see is the Ecto1.

The good news is that the 4 ghostbusters would be little more than slight variations of the same body & paint app, with different naetags, heads & hair.

I think 2 box sets would actually be a great fit for this license:

Set 1: Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, Louis Tully, Gozer (who wouldn't like to see a Gozer mate?)

Set 2: Dr. Peter Venkman, Winston Zeddmore, Dana Barrett, Janine Melnitz,

Then I'd like to see a 2-pk exclusive like Slimer w/ slimed Peter Venkman

I think Slimer might be accomplished by crossing the blob-ish sculting/style of Clayface, with some type of translucent base like Sandman or the Human Torch that mates into the bottom of the torso.

Whoa, dude, swich those around.

Tis is how I would do the sets:

Set 1: Venkman, Egon, Dana, Gozer

Set 2: Stantz, Zeddmore, Janine, Tully.

That just seems to make more sense.

Whoa, dude, swich those around.

Tis is how I would do the sets:

Set 1: Venkman, Egon, Dana, Gozer

Set 2: Stantz, Zeddmore, Janine, Tully.

That just seems to make more sense.

Agreed, Venkman should be the Kirk of this line, in that he should be released early and often.

However, I think that Tully should be released with the first wave as well. I just don't know how much longer BHM can go without a Minimate colander before unloading his semi-automatic carbine into a crowded group of civilians. I worry sometimes.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm also a proponent for Ghostbusters Minimates. One thing Minimates have going for them over regular action figures is they don't require actor-likeness licensing. The long standing rumor is that Bill Murray won't approve any figure likeness[citation needed] so they never get made. And obviously the rest of the guys won't sell without Venkman.

From what I understand Minimates would skirt this issue completely. With the popularity of this franchise, I'm surprised this deal hasn't been done yet. That leads me to believe there is some other factor preventing Ghostbusters Minimates. My guess is Columbia/Tristar/Sony/whoever probably want too much for the license. But for all we know, someone owns the copyright to Harold Ramis's eyeglass frame style and is depriving us of such wonderful toys. :)

movie properties I'd like to see

Mad Max/The Road Warrior

Escape from New York

Flash Gordon

Clash of the Titans

Legend

Ahhhh... to be a geek!! :P

Swap-out "Legend" in favor of Blade Runner, and you've pretty much got my list (in order of importance none-the-less...except BR trumps-all!). While there are surely others (and argueably better films), these would all translate really well into Minimates. Good taste! ;)

Gremlins!!!! i would kick a puppy to get me a Phoebe Cates minimate (please note i would'nt kick a puppy as their cute & nice)

Lost Boys?, have diamond said they thought about these??

and i know diamond have said about not doing Aliens & Predator because they've been done by another block type company already, but come on diamond you could do them so much better.....

ditto for Nightmare On Elm Street/Friday The 13th/Texas Chainsaw Massacre