UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

I am not sure if these have been seen yet, I took a look and saw no post. but here goes

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;picture=out

Once again another sweet looking cowboy set. Almost wish I stuck with this series of mates.

That white hat has so many musical possibilities.

Afraid so (kind'a old news), but I'll never turn down an opportunity to talk about these fantastic mates! We're just waiting (on pins-n-needles...hopefully FoD does as well as the the first offering.) for the pre-orders to appear. I know that I will be personally getting at least two sets; one to add to my Leone collection, and one to customize my Lone Ranger and Brain (Escape From NewYork) minimates (pic.s to follow if Rocky III happens;) ). As "left-field and obscure" as this license is, it's still the most original and refreshing line to come out of the Minimates corral in my personal opinion. As "dead-on" as these 'mates are, I just wish that they'd generate enough demand to warrant a few exclusives ( "Sombrero-Tuco" and "sun-stroked" Blondie come to mind among others...c'mon, F'n "Marty McFly" has a fanbase, why can't some real bad-asses get some respect?!? Am I completely alone here?!?) I can't wait!!!

* If you're collecting these (or on the fence), you owe it to the craft to at least watch a film or two (brach-out from the "here-n-now" for Crissakes!). They're shown all the time on cable (and how hard is it to simply rent one of these Westen classics?). These films are important, not just for their cinematic-break-throughs, but for their added realism and advancement of the Western genre. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T". B)

Edited by cdubya

I am also looking forward to this set. although if they are going to do a two pack I hope they make some civil war outfits that would be really cool.

Also you bring up an interesting point, I always try to see the media that my action figures are based on. in fact thanks to minimates making BSG (and a strong recommendation from my LCS) Is how i got into watching BSG.

I am not sure if these have been seen yet, I took a look and saw no post. but here goes

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;picture=out

Once again another sweet looking cowboy set. Almost wish I stuck with this series of mates.

That white hat has so many musical possibilities.

Afraid so (kind'a old news), but I'll never turn down an opportunity to talk about these fantastic mates! We're just waiting (on pins-n-needles...hopefully FoD does as well as the the first offering.) for the pre-orders to appear. I know that I will be personally getting at least two sets; one to add to my Leone collection, and one to customize my Lone Ranger and Brain (Escape From NewYork) minimates (pic.s to follow if Rocky III happens;) ). As "left-field and obscure" as this license is, it's still the most original and refreshing line to come out of the Minimates corral in my personal opinion. As "dead-on" as these 'mates are, I just wish that they'd generate enough demand to warrant a few exclusives ( "Sombrero-Tuco" and "sun-stroked" Blondie come to mind among others...c'mon, F'n "Marty McFly" has a fanbase, why can't some real bad-asses get some respect?!? Am I completely alone here?!?) I can't wait!!!

* If you're collecting these (or on the fence), you owe it to the craft to at least watch a film or two (brach-out from the "here-n-now" for Crissakes!). They're shown all the time on cable (and how hard is it to simply rent one of these Westen classics?). These films are important, not just for their cinematic-break-throughs, but for their added realism and advancement of the Western genre. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T". B)

I was applauding every aspect of what you were saying there until you got to the bit about 'realism' ,weren't these 'Spaghetti Westerns ' dubbed Italian actors filmed in Spain.

'Buono,Il Brutto, il Cattivo' Clint,Lee & Eli.

These mates look fantastic. I can't wait to add them to my collection. My only gripe is that we are essentially getting a quick custom Clint. I guess Marty can look forward to some boots then.

I will get all of the Leone-mates, but really, really wish that they released "Once Upon a Time in the West" Mates instead of a "Fistful of Dollars." No Eastwood, but I would be really psyched to get Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and, as the only essential part of this set, a Jack Elam-'Mate! Oh, well, that one is probably a bit too obscure, though in my opinion, it is the best film Leone ever made.

Plus, it has the best opening shot of any movie that I have ever seen. And being somewhat of a film geek, I have probably seen several thousand movies :)

/quote]

I was applauding every aspect of what you were saying there until you got to the bit about 'realism' ,weren't these 'Spaghetti Westerns ' dubbed Italian actors filmed in Spain.

You are 100% correct on that. By my vague statement on "realism", I was referring more to the depiction of the lifestyle and grittiness of the times as opposed to previous Westerns' clean (absolute good vs. evil)imagery shot on Hollywood sets. In this manner I feel it raised the bar from pristine white hats and shiny revolvers to something more authentic (despite it's cultural ambiguity LOL). I'll also contest that these films gave birth to the concept of the "anti-hero" and a world where good and bad are simply a matter of perspective. Good-stuff that has stood the test of time and had a big influence on the way we view movies today.

Oh, and not to mention giving us some of the coolest Minimates to date! ;)

I will get all of the Leone-mates, but really, really wish that they released "Once Upon a Time in the West" Mates instead of a "Fistful of Dollars." No Eastwood, but I would be really psyched to get Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and, as the only essential part of this set, a Jack Elam-'Mate! Oh, well, that one is probably a bit too obscure, though in my opinion, it is the best film Leone ever made.

Plus, it has the best opening shot of any movie that I have ever seen. And being somewhat of a film geek, I have probably seen several thousand movies :)

K I just love your posts. 'Once upon a time in the west' ,what a truly great film which despite the fact that I've seen loads of movies ,even some of the new colour films :P ,I only watched this recently. Bloody well awesome movie :ohmy: The opening shot at the rail-yard seemed a little 'second-hand 'until you realised when the film was made...brand new!

Now ....unfortunately.... I always think of Jack Elam as 'Swifty Morgan' in 'Support your local sheriff' starring James Garner. To this day if anybody comes too close to me in a pub I'll tell them "....never come up on my gun-side" .Invariably nobody knows WTF I'm on about ....do you? If you've seen the film you will. Priceless. I really like these 'Cowboy' mates.

/quote]

You are 100% correct on that. By my vague statement on "realism", I was referring more to the depiction of the lifestyle and grittiness of the times as opposed to previous Westerns' clean (absolute good vs. evil)imagery shot on Hollywood sets. In this manner I feel it raised the bar from pristine white hats and shiny revolvers to something more authentic (despite it's cultural ambiguity LOL). I'll also contest that these films gave birth to the concept of the "anti-hero" and a world where good and bad are simply a matter of perspective. Good-stuff that has stood the test of time and had a big influence on the way we view movies today.

...& you'll forgive me for detracting from what was a perfect tribute to these films. Spot on.

Now ....unfortunately.... I always think of Jack Elam as 'Swifty Morgan' in 'Support your local sheriff' starring James Garner. To this day if anybody comes too close to me in a pub I'll tell them "....never come up on my gun-side" .Invariably nobody knows WTF I'm on about ....do you? If you've seen the film you will. Priceless. I really like these 'Cowboy' mates.

I love that movie, too, though I have to admit not remembering that line. . .it's been a few years :( I guess that's just an excuse for me to have to watch it again. I actually love going through old westerns and western TV shows and finding the cameos by Elam. That is a face that is hard to forget.

Also, I really love James Garner. Americanization of Emily, particularly, is in my top 10 movies. I think of him as a more talented, and funnier, albeit more blue collar, Carey Grant. Maybe he isn't like Carey Grant at all, now that I think about it :)

Related to the "newness" of the opening to "Once Upon a Time," how derivative do the Kill Bill movies seem once you've seen the latter 2 "Man with No Name" films and that one? Not that I'm complaining, I love Tarantino and his nods to older Kung Fu and other types of flicks, but even the music is Ennio Morricone. . .

I'll also contest that these films gave birth to the concept of the "anti-hero" and a world where good and bad are simply a matter of perspective. Good-stuff that has stood the test of time and had a big influence on the way we view movies today.

If you like ambiguous "heroes," then you've definitely got to see "Americanization." Plus any number of Bogart movies. . .and one I just recently saw, about a man that clearly isn't a hero, though is definitely someone that you can identify with at a certain point, "Blast of Silence," which is more "Double Indemnity" than "Casablanca," but. . .all of those movies were well ahead of their time.

Edited by karamazov80

You have to realise,if you don't already,how far advanced you guys, in the US, are compared to us humble Brits. Perhaps not so much now but when I first watched the 'Rockford Files' nobody I knew had an answering machine :ohmy: So I went out & bought one & the message I left for people to reply to was " Hi this is Jim Rockford....etc.etc...",probably not funny now but all the people leaving messages obviously loved it ..then"

The Rockford Files & James Garner . I loved 'em. Never did get the Impala!

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is playing in a theater here in San Diego tomorrow (Friday) night only at a theater down the street from me. I already have plans, but I am trying to change them now so I can see it on the big screen.

Edited by Aaron

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is playing in a theater here in San Diego tomorrow (Friday) night only at a theater down the street from me. I already have plans, but I am trying to change them now so I can see it on the big screen.

Oh, you simply must...that would be off-the-hook! Better yet, try to incorporate this into your previous plans and make it a "spagetti western theme" extravaganza!!! Drink from a dirty glass, smoke an un-cut cigarillo and liberate the oppressed!! Hell yeah; paint the town red. The quick....and the dead.

K I just love your posts. 'Once upon a time in the west' ,what a truly great film which despite the fact that I've seen loads of movies ,even some of the new colour films :P ,I only watched this recently. Bloody well awesome movie :ohmy: The opening shot at the rail-yard seemed a little 'second-hand 'until you realised when the film was made...brand new!

/quote]

...& you'll forgive me for detracting from what was a perfect tribute to these films. Spot on.

No offense taken; I appreciate atttention to details and being kept on my toes. The next round's on me...salud! ;)

Oh, you simply must...that would be off-the-hook! Better yet, try to incorporate this into your previous plans and make it a "spagetti western theme" extravaganza!!! Drink from a dirty glass, smoke an un-cut cigarillo and liberate the oppressed!! Hell yeah; paint the town red. The quick....and the dead.

I don't think I ever have and ever will hear "you simply must", and "off the hook" used in the same sentence.

Plans have been changed and made. I will be going to see it. There will be whiskey involved, but no dirty glasses or cigarillos. But I think I will have pasta for diner.

heh,

I just ( well a couple of hrs ago) got back from seeing this on the big screen! ( yep same place as Aaron)

It's been a looong time since I've seen it and it's a great movie... It's been so long that i'd forgotten half the plot and how funny it is in places...

Needless to say I'm pumped for the mates now, although showdown 'Blondie' does seem like a cheap reuse for the sake of it and they still have the poncho pulled back over the wrong shoulder!!!

T.

heh,

I just ( well a couple of hrs ago) got back from seeing this on the big screen! ( yep same place as Aaron)

It's been a looong time since I've seen it and it's a great movie... It's been so long that i'd forgotten half the plot and how funny it is in places...

Needless to say I'm pumped for the mates now, although showdown 'Blondie' does seem like a cheap reuse for the sake of it and they still have the poncho pulled back over the wrong shoulder!!!

T.

Its nice to hear you admit how much of the plot you have lost :P

I don't think I ever have and ever will hear "you simply must", and "off the hook" used in the same sentence.

Indeed, that was a scrupulous display of radically awesome wordplay that was truly the shizzy, for rizzy.

I finally got to watch the Fistful of Dollars DVD I got at Walmart for $5. I'd forgotten how good that was. I'm trying to watch all these agian, since it's been so long.

In my opinion, Fistful is by far the weakest of the trilogy, with TGTBATU being the minor masterpiece. I think you will be even more impressed with the sequels--then see Once Upon a Time, and be blown away.

Edited by karamazov80

I finally got to watch the Fistful of Dollars DVD I got at Walmart for $5. I'd forgotten how good that was. I'm trying to watch all these agian, since it's been so long.

In my opinion, Fistful is by far the weakest of the trilogy, with TGTBATU being the minor masterpiece. I think you will be even more impressed with the sequels--then see Once Upon a Time, and be blown away.

For those looking for these on DVD - TGTBATU just showed up in the $5 DVD bin at Walmart along with Fistful of Dollars.

Now I just need to get FAFDM

For those looking for these on DVD - TGTBATU just showed up in the $5 DVD bin at Walmart along with Fistful of Dollars.

I saw those. It is a steal. However, I would recommend getting this version:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Bad-Ugly-2-Disc...4787&sr=8-1

I got this version last year, and it is a damn fine set, with some really cool documentaries. Plus, it is only 10 bucks! This is a real steal.

Also, last time I checked, Target has "Once Upon a Time in the West" for around 6-7 bucks. As does Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Time-Henry...=pd_sim_d_img_2

And while I'm posting, another great, albeit non-Leone, revisionist Western deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Peckinpahs-Legendary...4909&sr=1-2

Plus, Scanners and the Brood for 10 bucks! Wow!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=...f_rd_i=12917411

(Hell in the Pacific is also in that deal--excellent, excellent film, though I think the unused ending is significantly better than what made it into the released version)

Now, how do I get Amazon to pay me for all this shilling. . .

Edited by karamazov80

Now I just need to get FAFDM

......isn't TGTBATU the Black Panther's brother? ......you need to get FAFDM ?:blink: I'd like to get F*$k%d And F*$k%d Daily Man ,as well :P

Oh..... they're acronyms :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Since the Clint Eastwood minimates were announced, I've been re-discovering the movies (which I hadn't watched in a long time)

I was at my LCS yesterday and noticed that Dynamite Comics has started a "Man with No Name" story arc that follows the events of TGTBATU.

It's worth checking out while waiting for more Clint Eastwood/Man With No Name minimates to be released... which should be soon

I just watched that opening scene and I have to say that it was pretty good, but I liked Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End's beginning much better. it has that haunting give-you-chills kind of feeling along with the WTF factor that made you want to stay for the rest and see what it's all about. I just wish the rest of the movie had lived up to that scene.

That, along with the Disney Tarzan and Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, is my favorite opening scene of a movie. Why Tarzan? I dont really know, I just like it. And Raiders should be obvious.

Edited by Trekker 42