UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Kubricks!

A.J.V.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand BHM, but I don't see a Kubrick box as the same as a Hot Toys box. A 1/6th box is usually necessary to store accessories and extra appendages. A Kubrick is a glued box. Now, that said, I understand that there is a little bias in my assessment here. Hence, my asking the question. I tend to toss the boxes for Kubricks.

I have the entire run of Ultraman Kubricks and kept no boxes or bags. None of my Star Wars Kubricks have the boxes except the crappy DX Chewbacca I just recieved.

Thing is, with Kubricks, a box might have some influence on value, but I figure the unopened baggie would have much more of an influence (of course, I don't understand buying something and keeping it inside the plastic baggie, but that's what some Kubrick collectors do). With 1/6 scale figures, the box can add a big chunk of re-sale profit to something (upwards of $100 in my experience!). Part of the reason is that, with most 1/6 scale companies nowadays, figures are made so that they can be displayed inside the box if one chooses, and can actually be removed with minimal impact on the box itself (Hot Toys might only have a single piece of not-too-sticky tape at the top and bottom of a flap, and very few if any twisty ties inside). Thus, people can buy a figure and make it appear as if it was never opened pretty easily if the box comes with it. They can even display the figure inside the box! With Kubricks, you could re-seal the box, but I don't think many collectors would consider doing that for display or storage purposes.

On top of that, there is utility in storage that Shane is talking about. Beyond just accessories (like light sabers that you woulnd't want to stick in a huge box with other accessories), you can easily store the figures in their original boxes without having to go to the trouble of making sure that you package them carefully enough through other means that they won't get damaged. When I recently moved, I re-packaged the bulk of my 1/6 scale figures in their boxes, and I think it saved me some headache.

But yeah, when 1 of these boxes takes up as much room as an entire "master case's" worth of Kubrick boxes or so, I guess it seems like a lot less of a deal to just keep the Kubrick (or Minimate) boxes if you are thinking about space.

This seems fair ....2 Heavyweight collectors versus the gangling Middleweight Brit who is merely the messenger .

disclaimer .......I can only speak from my own point of view & experience & in reality I'm a novice collector......

Check out the ebay auctions for kubricks & you'll see that the majority of sellers picture the boxes or offer them as part of the deal. I dunno don't ask me why that's the way it is. :biggrin:

I have every single Star Wars kubrick that has been released & each one is still in it's plastic bag & in its own particular box that it came in ,each wave is in its opened factory case . The carded stuff is also carefully stored with the unopened SW kubrick box sets. I can explain why I did this initially.......I was going to sell them,no bones about it I bought my entire SW kubrick collection about three years ago from a collector who 'got out' & I decided that I'd keep it going & then dump them on the market one day as a complete collection. Although that may still happen I have become quite attached to them because.......well.....just because :blush: To be fair to myself (or not) I have all the commons in each series loose & on display as well. I also have most of all the secrets duplicated, loose & on display in its Medicom display case as well! It must be stressed that these cost me far far less in their loose unpacked boxless auctions than in their packaged form...... although each kubrick acrylic case costs about $4 :(

I apologise if all that sounds like bragging but how can I answer your question without total honesty ? Much the same can be said about the way I collect Minimates ....it's no secret :D

It must be stressed that the reasons I collected toys 3 years ago have changed dramatically although I never lose sight of the fact that this shit costs serious dollar & collectors sell life-long collections every day otherwise ebay wouldn't exist. I enjoy my 'stuff' but if & when the day comes when I sell it I want to be holding all the cards.....& the boxes & the cases & any other shite I can unload :lol:

Edited by buttheadsmate

For the Star Wars figures, though, as you know, you need to open the box to see if the figure is a chase or not. And quite frequently, those boxes they come in are of other characters that can be bought, box and all, for very low prices. So at the end of the day, is it not still the little baggie (not the silvery one, but the clear one of course) that gives those figures all that "added value"?

I guess the scientific way to figure that out would be to look at auctions with no bag or box, auctions with bag and box, auctions with no bag but box, and auctions with bag but no box and compare the differences. Let me know what you find, BHM :D

If I didn't know better Sam I perhaps might think you're taking the piss :D

For the record I dispose of the silver blind bags .

The words 'Japanese' & 'fastidious' are almost synonymous & I believe this has rubbed off on kubrick collectors because there is a perception that the item within the bag is somehow 'virginal'. I perhaps could have chosen a better word but it ain't far off the mark. Look at the furore we have had here with 'bagged' Gold Spider-Man minimate ! This is no kubrick-only affair ....hell no ....a 'real' Gold Spidey has to be numbered,bagged & fucking listed :lol: 'He' that is known as 'Shanester' is on record here actually banning photography of said item ...a plastic bag with a white sticky label on it .....C'mon you guys you ain't so different :no:

I will confess that I do, in fact, have a "virgin" Hot Toys "classic" Predator, never taken out of the box. Same for the T2 T800, and I'll have another for the Terminator I've recently been drooling over.

Collectors are all nuts, IMO.

I am not really questioning your logic BHM. In fact, I am sure you are correct. I just have an easier time keeping one type of box and pitching the other. I've traded a few Kubricks, but never sold any. If I had sold them, I'm sure I'd be keeping boxes.

Eh, don't worry about it. We'll probably get cheap, minor variant re-releases soon enough. A series of 2 packs, perhaps?

On another, related topic, I can't believe Medicom teased us with those crappy pics from their toy fair (of the Tatooine DX set). They apparently didn't allow fans/retailers to take pics, so only official shots were released. One was that far shot where you can't see any details, and the other is the close-up of Obi Wan with his vintage toy outfit, which looks pretty cool. I'm jonesing for more pics. . .even if they are mostly re-releases, again.

I've never known any kubrick figure as difficult to snag as the AT-ST driver from this current set. :(

Whoever paid that for this http://cgi.ebay.com/Medicom-Star-Wars-Kubr...=item20b424f2f2 is quite entitled to buy anything he wants on his day-release from the asylum but that is going to open the floodgates .

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Ive paid some prices but W.T.F. -that is someone who realy wanted that little guy pretty bad!!

• 1 month later...
I've never known any kubrick figure as difficult to snag as the AT-ST driver from this current set. :(

Whoever paid that for this http://cgi.ebay.com/Medicom-Star-Wars-Kubr...=item20b424f2f2 is quite entitled to buy anything he wants on his day-release from the asylum but that is going to open the floodgates .

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

:(http://cgi.ebay.com/Kubrick-Star-Wars-DX-S...=item588b5e1664

I don't know if they will or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did because they have done this before. If not a straight re-release (like Medicom did with several Disney characters recently), then we might get a slight variation like the DX SnowTrooper. Possibly single, carded figures like they have done with Early Bird Chewy. They aren't above doing any of that, so I don't think any rare/chase figures are off-limits.

But no, I don't imagine that every chase figure will be re-released this way.

Edited by karamazov80

But no, I don't imagine that every chase figure will be re-released this way.

Nothing would surprise me with Medicom now ....I've vented before so no more tirades about it because it's now fact.

The latest offering from Medicom is the Blade Runner 'Spinner' which will be released with the new DVD (Blu Ray?) box set. The problem with that is that many of us dopey kubrick fans already have it because it was released as the BTTF 'Future car' years ago ........a successful ploy to circumvent licensing problems. Those of us with brains should now be unloading their old one ,like this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/Medicom-Blade-Runner-S...=item20b5aff49c ......I have no brains because I'm a dumbass collector :(

It seems to me that if you wait long enough everything gets re-released ......those two SW kubricks seem to fetch top money every time they hit but so did a lot of stuff....... before it was re-released.

The AT ST Driver 'secret' has just gone off the scale & I reckon the only way to get one is to buy the complete set.....it ain't happening . :no: