UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q & A #10

Shanester

Before posting here...

READ THESE RULES!!

Please, remember a few things when asking questions.

1. Make sure your question(s) has not/have not already been asked.

2. Try to keep it to 1-5 questions per member/per post.

3. Ask DST ONLY about DST licenses (ie. DST does not control DCD Minis).

4. Keep your question short and to the point. No novels or life stories.

5. If you are insulting, threatening, rude, demanding, impolite, or fail to heed any of these rules, your question will very well be deleted.

Go!

1, What is the one Marvel Storyline that you would like to have made but wouldn't because the "boat has sailed on it?"

2, Would DST (mostly as a joke) do something like a cardboard cut out of Flatman or Mr. Fantastic in minimates size and style? Or would that this idea has been done already for the Marvel Legends line make it seem a little already been done?

3, Has there ever been a Marvel character that you said, "yeah, I don't think I ever want to make a minimate for that one"?

4, With Marvel having Marvel Studios for all their future feature films, does DST still need to obtain the rights from the studio distributing the film to make mates or will you be able to make anything under the Marvel Studios banner?

5, Have you ever considered doing a BSG character in the Marines uniform, like Starbuck from Bastille Day. The reason I ask is that it would be nice to have one characte rin the marines uniform so we could custom our own Colonial Army.

6, What are your feelings about having to wait until 2009 to see the rest of BSG?

As always, thanks for your time.

Edited by pickle

1.will you buy selling the comic-con exclusive box-sets on your website?

2.Why do iron man and hulk moviemates have one wave unlike sm3 which had 2?

3.if you do have halo minimates would there be vehicles?

Edited by link 46

First off I must say a huge THANK YOU for the Invaders set. I hope it's avaliable outside of Comic Con.

Anyway, questions:

1. Seeing as you probably won't finish every bridge crew in the Trek line, which crews are you most concerned about finishing, seeing as you're pretty much done with TOS.

2. You thought about Princess Bride? Awesome! If you did the Princess Bride, would it have been a box set or a wave of pure Princess Bride awesomeness?

3. Could you do a Zombie FF and call it Ultimate Frightful Four and get away with it? Technically it's not the Zombies, it's the Frightful Four

4. What do you think about doing a line of your own interperation on things such as Greek Mythology or Robin Hood? As far as I know, nobody owns mythology and old legends and no license is required which is why there are so blasted many movies on those types of things. So basically, how does a license-free line sound and how well do you think it will do?

5. Any possibitlity of picking up the Godzilla/TOHO license? Come on, I know you want a tiny minimate Godzilla as much as I do Chuck. Give in to your desires.

6. Who would in a fight; Spider-Man or Wolverine? (This should be an interesting answer.)

Thanks as always,

Trekker

(Sorry Shanester, had to go over the limit for this one.)

Edited by Trekker 42

1.) Any chance we can get customizeable minimates for real life pople, not just super heros, like a pack with scraps and it comes with different hair, shirts and vest, boots, shoes, and accersries, like casual clothes to make normal everday people, like your self?

2.)Any chance of superhero themed backdrops with C3 ground? Like a scenery that is realistic looking and lego type ground?

Thanks for answering! :D

Hey, Chuck–

Given the success of the Moviemates, had you considered Litmates – that is, Minimates based on classic literature? Captain Ahab! The Three Musketeers! Heck, maybe even Hamlet?

Oh, and, per your last round of answers: Princess Bride - yes, please!

Keep up the great work.

Edited by Lobsterman

Hey Chuck, it's me, banging on about Captain Britain again. :D

Now Cap B is the star of his own ongoing series is it anymore likely we'll see a Captain Britain minimate?

A yes or no answer would be nice. ;)

While I'm banging on about Cap B... Now we have an invaders boxset is there any chance of seeing a Union Jack mate? He'd be a very simple conversion and that costume is wicked. He'd make a great 'mate.

Hey Chuck, it's me, banging on about Captain Britain again. :D

Now Cap B is the star of his own ongoing series is it anymore likely we'll see a Captain Britain minimate?

A yes or no answer would be nice. ;)

While I'm banging on about Cap B... Now we have an invaders boxset is there any chance of seeing a Union Jack mate? He'd be a very simple conversion and that costume is wicked. He'd make a great 'mate.

Hey Chuck, I really appreciate the proposed Invaders box-set,great idea . Here's a picture of the cover of Invaders#1post-638-1211460254_thumb.jpg entitled Battle over Britain.......

.....it's beginning again! Britain is a little place where Minimates used to be sold . When we existed here,we were an all-inclusive society especially the Minimates fans. British (of Britain)Minimates fans regularly purchased Norse Gods,Latverians,Atlanteans,Russians,Red Indians,Cylons,German X-Men,Kree,Skrulls,Jews,Japanese,Chinese,Vulcans,Scots(I passed on those :P ),Canadians,Greek assassins,Kryptonites,etc.etc.etc. .......& many,many,many American heroes in Minimate guise. I know you may not have heard of Britain but you see, I am British , I collect Minimates & I would like to have a Captain Britain Minimate which can pose next to that other British icon(?) Madonna. We all love her here . Thanks for your time.

1.) Any chance we can get customizeable minimates for real life pople, not just super heros, like a pack with scraps and it comes with different hair, shirts and vest, boots, shoes, and accersries, like casual clothes to make normal everday people, like your self?

2.)Any chance of superhero themed backdrops with C3 ground? Like a scenery that is realistic looking and lego type ground?

Thanks for answering! :D

Do you know any.... real-life pople ...like a pack with scraps ....& accersries :blink: ...like your self?

Edited by buttheadsmate

From Q&A #7:

I was wondering, what were the chances for generic character boxed sets, i.e. civilians, cowboys, swat teams, police etc. I'd imagine they'd be popular, and are open to a much larger market that a specific license.

DSTChuck: We’ve discussed but nothing is on the schedule.

I imagine production costs and licensing restrictions would kill that idea

Have you guys given thought to a boxset from X-men Messiah Complex or Divided We Stand series? Something like the new X-Force(there are four of them! ;) ) And thanks alot for all the Mates we have gotten and are getting, these things have pretty much been the focus of my toy collecting ever since I saw them about a year ago. So keep making them and I'll keep buying them!

:buttrock::buttrock:

Edited by Fo Shizzle

^^^^ Fo Shizzle... That's neither a question or coherent without the image and I don't think the images are forwarded with the questions.. try to be clearer in what you are asking if you want an aswer that isn't "WTF?"

T.

From Q&A #7:

I was wondering, what were the chances for generic character boxed sets, i.e. civilians, cowboys, swat teams, police etc. I'd imagine they'd be popular, and are open to a much larger market that a specific license.

DSTChuck: We’ve discussed but nothing is on the schedule.

I imagine production costs and licensing restrictions would kill that idea

Oh, thank you. :D

^^^^ Fo Shizzle... That's neither a question or coherent without the image and I don't think the images are forwarded with the questions.. try to be clearer in what you are asking if you want an aswer that isn't "WTF?"

T.

Text only please.

My bad guys, thought it was okay since it wasn't listed as a don't. :(

Hi,

Will you try to finish Star Trek bridge crews that you have already started on? I'd really like to have finished Next Generation and Wrath of Khan crews.

Thanks for your time.

Any chance of Shogun Warriors minimates to go along with your filing for the Shogun Warriors trademark?

How does this work with Bandai and Tomy both co-owning rights to the Shogun Warriors name currently?

Which is better - Jumbo Robots or Spiderman?

Hi Chuck, as you likely know, one of the greatest films of the 80s, or any other decade, is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Any chance that we might see some Minimates from this classic? A Mez-Itz Leatherface was made at some point, but maybe the license has expired?

If not, how about a more obscure 80s flick, called "Ghostbusters?" Not the beloved Filmation cartoon, but the other one that, as I mentioned, was a movie. Any licensing issues that you know of that might be a problem towards making this a reality some day? Thanks!

Howdy Chuck,

Here's mah question...

Being that I live 20 minutes away from Rosemont Illinois, where Wizard World Chicago is held, over the many years, I've always attended that con, and never had the means to fly all the way out to San Diego. As such, WWC has always been where I picked up my yearly round of con exclusives, because they've always been available there as well a bit later in the year, going all the way back to that very first Peter Parker and Mary Jane 2-Pack. This year however, a hiccup has arisin, as it occurs to me that WWC is in June, rather than August, and SDCC is in July, putting WWC before SDCC, which hasn't happened in ages...

Does this mean, as I suspect it does, that I'm completely out of luck as it pertains to this years San Diego Minimate exclusives? If they're ready in time for WWC, would they still possibly be sold there as well, as they have been in the past, or does branding them "San Diego Exclusive" pretty much guarantee they won't be available at all before that particular con? Am I going to have to wait 'til July and then chase them all down on the internet?

EDIT:

Due to the fact that Wizard World Chicago has now begun, and the New mates are nowhere to be found, this question has become largely irrelevant, but you can feel free to answer it anyway if you'd still like to... :D

Edited by Gillbob316

I heard last Q & A you were throwing around the idea of The Warriors (gitty laugh) how likely will it be to see this set?

When a company (like AFX) get rights to an exclusive set are they the ones to pick out the figures or are they already picked?

Hi,

Will you try to finish Star Trek bridge crews that you have already started on? I'd really like to have finished Next Generation and Wrath of Khan crews.

Thanks for your time.

I believe this was already answered, and he said not very likely to round out bridge crews

Hi,

Thanks for your time.

I believe this was already answered, and he said not very likely to round out bridge crews

I know they don't think they'll likely finish EVERY bridge crew. I asked if they had already started a crew would they focus on finishing it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a question before SDCC 2008, post it now. I'm going to send the Q&A over to DST later today (7/1).

I hope it is not too soon to ask considering nothing is official. After WW:Chicago, how interested is DST in obtaining the DC'mates license? I would like to see the line continue and look forward to having both universes in one toy line. Is this something that DST could do as I don't remember seeing any DC products from DST? Also, does Marvel Superhero Squad pose as a threat to your toy line? Thanks for the time and the minimates. I'm very glad that I have placed the time and money into this line of figures. I've never once regretted buying Marvel Minimates and from the first day I saw that "leaked" poster of the Marvel'mates I'm still carrying that excitement just the same. Look forward to seeing you all at SDCC. Thank you.

(I'm not sure I've seen this asked before, but if so, I'm sorry.)

-Has what happened with SFII soured the idea of video game based 'mates or have there just not been any licenses that have worked out for them? I'd love to see a franchise like Mortal Kombat or another video game with a lot of differing character depth in Minimate form-should I abandon all hope?

-Also, any more word on more BTTF Minimates? The first set alone is getting harder to find and it'd be cool to see more released.

Edited by groundhog7s

After WW:Chicago, how interested is DST in obtaining the DC'mates license? I would like to see the line continue and look forward to having both universes in one toy line. Is this something that DST could do as I don't remember seeing any DC products from DST?

From DST Q & A #8:

If DC Direct drops the ball on DC Minimates is there any chance you guys could/would ride in on your white horse and save the day? I don't know if DCD even considers licensing out like that. Is it something you have discussed with them, by chance?

DSTChuck: That's pretty much 100% up to DC Direct. If they were interested in licensing it we'd of course listen, but we'd also have to look and see if we thought we'd be able to make a profit on the line.