UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q & A #9 Answers

Shanester

Minimate Multiverse _ DST Q&A Section _ DST Q & A #9

Posted by: ramseesthegreat1 Apr 14 2008, 12:58 PM

What's up Chuck, I have a couple of questions for you that I hope you can answer.

1) How far in advance do you guys plan for future waves?

DSTChuck: Honestly it depends. Ideally we like to go about 9 months to a full year ahead but with Marvel we need to leave some gaps for potential new editorial. Also buyer requests and last minute ideas can cut the planning (or pre-planning) time down to a matter of days.

2) What are some Marvel mini's that you guys really want to make, but haven't gotten around to making yet

DSTChuck: Honestly we've made all the ones we want to make, you know what I mean?? It's not like we're holding back characters at this point. Yes, there are some we'd like to do and just need the budget or timing or theme to sneak them in, but heck we've done Spidey so I'm good!

3) Does the voice of fans influence the selection process?

DSTChuck: Yes and No - How's that?? We don't run anything like a survey but we do listen to fans that email us or come up to us at the booth as well as indirectly. If BSG Series 1 sells great we take that as word from the fans that they would like to see more. Same with something like a Marvel comic, if Ultimates is selling like gangbusters then we look at more Ultimates. A perfect example of this is the Zombie Minimates we did.

4) What is the possible box set (if any) for Marvel Mini's?

DSTChuck: I can't give out new editorial information here but I can say box sets for Marvel are back and are here to stay.

5) I know that the height limit for marvel mini's but is there a width restriction (i.e. for making a blob character)

DSTChuck: Blob would be possible, but as for a width-restriction it would only be relating to the scale of the character - Can't do anything not true, like a beer belly Wolverine (even if it did appear in X-Men: The End).

Thanks for answering!

DSTChuck: My pleasure keep 'em coming!

Posted by: Trekker 42 Apr 14 2008, 04:27 PM

I'm baaaaack.

DSTChuck: Did you go somewhere?

Anyway, I must ask, how can you possibly say that MJ was a worse minimate than Mariko?

DSTChuck: I'm just not a big fan of the hair for the MJ figure.

Now that that's out of the way, What do you say is the greatest non-marvel minimate ever made?

DSTChuck: I think I am on record as a fan of the Eastwood stuff but I got to say a little 2" cute-looking Hannibal is pretty cool - no?

The worst?

DSTChuck: Maybe the old 3" stuff but I think those have all been pretty decent.

Thanks as usual guys.

Live long and Prosper

Trekker

Posted by: TBT! Apr 14 2008, 10:26 PM

Hi Chuck,

1) Have you ever seriously considered making the other figure packed with Marvel mini's an army builder? For example: you'd have Elektra packed with a Hand Ninja, then the variant Skrull Elektra packed with the same Hand Ninja. I know you've done this with BSG/Cylons, was it successful enough to consider for the Marvel line?

DSTChuck: We've done a little army building, but frankly the sales have been pretty flat so I don't think we have any plans right now to expand it to something like you list above.

1A) Single packed, Hand Ninja's, AIM guys, Shield Agents, Skrulls or generally any of the Marvel army builder type characters would make an awesome comic store 'by the register' impulse buy line for Minimates... What are the chances of this happening? Or does the Marvel license exclude single packed Minimates?

DSTChuck: Currently we have no plans to do any single packed Marvel figures.

2) If you could ret-con reality/Minimate history to change one thing, what would you change? (other than this question)

DSTChuck: Man its SO weird that ret-con has become a phrase we all use right??? I have no plans to make a deal with Mephisto to undo the wonderful years of MM history we have, but so I don't duck the question, I'd improve the mix and characters that were sent into Target stores.

3) How do you feel about the ever more complex sculpting on Minimates? Are you a pure 'naked block figure' guy or someone who likes the extra sculpting as long as there is a base Minimate under there somewhere? (BTW I'm a purist and loved the simplicity of Spidey, Havok, Ms Marvel & Ultron from the latest Marvel lines.)

DSTChuck: I'm sure fans won't want to hear this (I know the folks at AA won't) but I like them simple in 99% of the cases.

4) What is the wildest license you guys have seriously considered for minimates? (Desperately seeking Susan excluded)

DSTChuck: We've considered them all! I think we talked about the Warriors and Princess Bride before...

5) If you could dress Matt up in fancy dress and make him walk around town for one day (without any employee/employer legal implications) what would you dress him as?

DSTChuck: That's EASY. We have the 7 of 9 Red Dress from the Christies auction and I think it's the right size... OOOPS did I just violate some HR rule by even typing that?

DSTMatt: <blink blink>

As Always thanks for playing along!

DSTChuck: Was that a pun?

Posted by: TM2 Dinobot Apr 15 2008, 06:33 AM

1) Can you give us the low down on EUtS Lorraine's low down cleavage? What happened to her ampleness? I was so excited. Now I'm left with this empty feeling when I look at her.

DSTChuck: Seek therapy - but buy more MM before they lock you up!

2) Personally I'm not for re-releasing characters just because they need an update, but have y'all thought about redoing some of the more popular characters? Like we haven't seen Elektra since wave 1. What about a new white costumed version? I know we've gotten updates of Ironman, Cap and Hulk, and, of course, Spidey and Wolvie. Maybe some of the older ones? (Though those are some of my all time favorites)

DSTChuck: I can't really comment on specific re-issues but I will say we never consider a character "retired" Older ones can come back in new costumes or refined looks. While lots of fans have been with us from the beginning we do need to keep those core characters in the rotation for new fans and kids.

3) On that same note, what are the odds on a new Black Cat? Just for me, hummm? XD I know she's got plenty of costume variations to run with.

DSTChuck: Nothing planned for now but I see no reason why we couldn't do another one at some point.

4) What's the skinny on Ultimate Marvel mates? Will we ever see them again? Cause I'd kill for and Ult Spidey wave. Really. Just say who you want dead.

DSTChuck: There is really no one I want dead but I can keep that in mind if you really want. All I can say is we have NOT shut the door on Ultimates they could very much pop up again, especially with Ultimate Origins coming.

5) Failing that, have y'all ever thought about a Manga Marvel box set? You could have Logan with his laser claws, Black Widow, Cap-killer Black Cat, and kid Spidey Or you could just use them as fillers in waves. Ever thought of this and would it be a license that's open to y'all?

DSTChuck: Umm no!

DSTMatt: Back, vile creature!

6) This may have been asked before, and I apologize if it was. I know the SFII line failed. Unfortunately. Has that scared y'all off fighting games entirely, or might y'all look at another license like (my all time favorite) Dead or Alive Ultimate?

DSTChuck: It has not scared us off video games forever.

7) Love the stuff from NYCC. Will y'all be doing similar things like at the WW tour? Like Dallas? Why does it seem impossible to get a Hulk with a powerhouse chest? That's one of my favorite pieces.

DSTChuck: What did we do at NYCC that you loved?? BUT sorry to say we will NOT be in Dallas this year.

8) (last question, I swear. One of these days I'll make it under the limit!) DDP loses the license to GI Joe comics at the end of this year. There's been talk about Marvel picking it up. If they do, is that aspect of the Marvel license open to y'all or is that a 'wait and see' situation?

DSTChuck: There is a limit?? I had no idea??!! Matt just whips me until I get all these things done...hmm... I will say our Marvel license does NOT cover items THEY might license - like Dark Tower etc..

Danka, and thank you ever so much.

Posted by: pickle Apr 15 2008, 06:57 AM

Hey again. I would like to start by saying thank you for confirming there will be a wave five for BSG through a previous answer.

DSTChuck: Did I do that ??? OOOPS!

1, Is there any chance you can tell us the breakdown for the BSG Razor cases?

DSTChuck: Nope... Sorry, we do know what we want it to be but we don't like giving that out ahead of time in case we have to make some last-minute changes for some reason. I can ask Marketing to add that to one of our newsletters or Myspace page when they hit the water though.

2, With the joint effort by DST and Gentle Giant on the recent Cylon Bust, and how DST has no current plans to release any BSG busts in the near future, has Gentle Giant expressed any interest in picking up the line and making the busts independent from DST?

DSTChuck: It's not really a joint effort, we just hired them to sculpt it for us based on files we provided. As for the BSG license, I don't think we have any plans to stop making BSG items - I mean have you SEEN season 4??!!

3, Will we ever see Planet Hulk / World War Hulk mates? I am more wondering if there has been any interest from DST in making a Silver Savage? It would be nice to see some Silver Surfer Variations.

DSTChuck: The time for Planet Hulk may have passed but you never know!

DSTMatt: It's not like there's a million Silver Surfer variants to pick from, so at least that makes it more possible.

4, Are there any BSG exclusive sets coming up in the near future? I am surprised that all we have is the FYE 5-pack and the single Previews 2-pack.

DSTChuck: I don't THINK so, seems to be very little retailer demand for exclusives.

5, I think the Mouse Guard statue turned out great and I am so glad I got it. Has the Mouse Guard merchandise garnered enough sales to continue the line or is what we have all we are going to get?

DSTChuck: Everyone here loves the book and we think we've done some nice items so the door is NOT shut on that license.

6, One last very quick question. Will you have any Blue Dress Six Busts at SDCC?

DSTChuck: Promise??? Yea I think Chris will bring a few....

As always, thanks for your time and the awesome BSG merchandise

DSTChuck: Glad you like it.

Posted by: neolego Apr 15 2008, 10:28 AM

OK, First thing is first. THANK YOU for Angel. That has been the Minimate I've wanted since Wave 1, my favorite X-Man of all time and now my favorite MM. Thanks!!

DSTChuck: We had you in mind the whole time - glad you like it!

1. I personally love Boxed sets. I was wondering if we will continue to see themed boxed sets (possible, Young Avengers, Secret Invasion, Messiah Complex, etc) and if we do is it required now that they are 4 characters only or could we possibly see more figures per set?

DSTChuck: As I said above, looks like box sets are here to stay but I think we will keep them to 4 packs...

2. Different Question from Timbos: Skrulls!?!? What are the chances that we get some Skrull/Hero figures for the new Invasion series? Maybe like an Elektra body with green skin and a Skrull head and maybe even packaged with a full Skrull solider that took her place? Do you guys have any plans to include more Skrulls in the future with Secret Invasion being has Huge as it is?

DSTChuck: Secret Invasion? What is that???? Elektra is a Skrull?? I thought Bullseye killed her and Miller said she was dead??!! I've got to get to a comic store...

3. I will not stop asking until I get more Ultimate Figures. I love the Ultimate U and I will not rest until we get an Ultimate Iron Man and Ultimate Thor. Seriously, those are two of the sweetest looking versions of those two characters.....can you throw a guy a bone!?!?!

DSTchuck: You keep asking ... Never say never!

4. Let me start by saying I know you guys weren't responsible for the Speed Racer Minimates (I think), but I loved them. I was wondering if, with the movie coming out, you guys have any interest in picking up that line and making more minis and even better, more racers?

DSTChuck: Your right on both fronts. They are very cool and we have nothing to do with them.

5. Finally, are you guys actively seeking new Movie/TV licenses? I personally LOVE the BSG, 24, and Back to the Future minis. I would love to see more, maybe Heroes or Lost or Robocop or Army of Darkness. Are you guys still seeking new stuff or are you just trying to maintain right now? And, personally, would you be interested in Heroes or Lost minis?

DSTChuck: We're always looking at ways to extend out the MM look and style to other licenses.

Thanks again for everything, look forward to hearing back from ya! neo

DSTChuck: Do I owe you a call?? I never check my voice mail - sorry!

Posted by: drgnrbrn316 Apr 15 2008, 11:03 AM

Is the 24 line of minimates dead or was it just the Season 3 sets that got canned?

DSTChuck: No, not dead. Not like Tony, but did you notice its been some time since the show was on TV? So I think we're taking a little break.

With the recent releases of Thor, Hawkeye, and Angel, has the hate mail around the office lessened or has it just been replaced by the letters from the Gambit and Deadpool fans?

DSTChuck: Sorry, I don't read my own mail since the scare we had when I finally had to say SF2 was not going to happen. BUT pretty much no matter what character we do someone will say why are you not doing my favorite character.

DSTMatt: Less Thor and Hawkeye requests, more Power Pack requests... You guys are an odd bunch.

What determines whether a particular license or character is more suited for a box set or a standard release? We've seen television shows and movies featured in both formats, as well as numerous characters from the Marvel line. Is it retailer interest, licensing restrictions, or some other factor?

DSTChuck: I think I've covered this before but...something like Marvel has a wide fan base that is use to collecting and wants to have a universe or wide breadth of characters. Something like SOTL is a one-time movie and has a tight cast of characters and might appeal to a collector that just likes that movie or actor and doesn't want to run around and collect all versions or sets, so we keep properties like that to a box set and maybe one two pack per series.

As always, thanks for taking the time to talk with us idiots.

DSTChuck: Who's the bigger idiot the one asking the questions or the one using his free time to answer all their questions??!!

Posted by: karamazov80 Apr 15 2008, 02:25 PM

Hi Chuck, has any consideration been made regarding "build-a-figures?" For instance, you buy all 3 2 packs for a given Marvel wave, and each pack includes 1/3 of the pieces for a larger, 5 inch Minimate--so, say you do Giant Man, and get legs and arms with one pack, a head, hands, and feet with another, and the torso and crotch with the third pack?

DSTChuck: NOPE... We need to stick to our size.

Posted by: Reideen1313 Apr 15 2008, 06:08 PM

Ooh! Skrulls of all the Marvel-verse! Dip 'em in cold water and the Skrull will be revealed! Do you have access to that (paint?) technology Chuck?

DSTChuck: WE have no plans to encourage water-boarding Minimates.

Are all the Marvel mates we've gotten to date, really Skrulls? If not, which ones are? How does one identify a Skrull agent minimate vs the real thing?

DSTChuck: Ok I've GOT to get to a comic store, but let's just say all the MM we've made are Skrulls. Would that somehow void all the collecting you have been doing?

Is Spidey a Skrull? Is that why we've gotten so many of him?

DSTChuck: No he's just the coolest character ever created by mortal man!

Thanks Chuck.

Posted by: ramseesthegreat1 Apr 16 2008, 11:11 AM

I know the Skrulls are big now in the MU but I would rather have other new characters like Gambit, Deadpool, Red Skull, and the list can go on. I think one Skrull soldier is perfectly fine. No Black Bolt Skrull until we get a reg. Black Bolt - sort of like the Zombie Ant-Man and Black Panther minis.

DSTChuck: And your question is????

Posted by: TITAN Apr 17 2008, 04:36 AM

1- Would you be willing/able to obtain the Blade Runner license? I'd love to see 6/7 inch Figures and Minimates made

DSTChuck: Yes I would, but only if someone could figure out who holds the merchandise rights!

2- As above for the Alien/Aliens/Predator licenses

DSTChuck: We've had parts of that license before but someone else has always had the block figures.

3- Or the Terminator Franchise license

DSTChuck: We've considered it.

4- How far along in the production process did the 24 series 3 minimates get, before they were cancelled? And will we be seeing any of the parts elsewhere?

DSTChuck: We don't normally give that info out, but if they were tooled its possible we'd re-use some of those parts.

And thanks again for answering all our questions

DSTChuck: Sure no problem, thanks for asking and caring so much.

Posted by: luke314pi Apr 17 2008, 02:33 PM

1. Does your Silence of the Lambs license extend to the other movies in the series?

DSTChuck: Nope!

2. What are your favorite pizza toppings?

DSTChuck: It depends - Sausage and Pepperoni or Pineapple & Ham

Posted by: red spade Apr 19 2008, 03:14 AM

my questions are...

1. While there have been a few 4 packs are there any plans for another six pack like the Giant-Sized X-Men box set? Cause I see this as the only way of me getting the whole Inhuman royal family of Black Bolt, Medusa, Karnak, Triton, Gorgon, and Crystal ala Kirby

DSTChuck: We're going to stick to 4 packs.

2. Do you ever look at the customs on these boards to see of ways in the cutting of costs in the making of newer minimates or maybe as a way to do different figures

DSTChuck: No I do not. Maybe some folks at AA do. I do look at all the cool stuff folks bring up to me at shows though and some are pretty amazing.

3. With your recent acquiring of Heroes how are these going to be distributed in 2 packs or 4 or a mixture

DSTChuck: We do not have the Heroes license.

Posted by: Deadpool Apr 19 2008, 10:35 AM

1. We heard you guys have pursued getting the Halo license. When Medicom's license expires, do you think it'll be something you actively pursue?

DSTChuck: Never say never!

2. What prompted the idea of Desperately Seeking Susan minimates?

DSTChuck: My wife made me?? Honestly it might seem odd to fans of more "fan" type properties BUT from buyers we've heard LOTS of cool responses due to her HUGE following and lack of merchandise PLUS the new album.

3. Which Spider-Man mate is your favorite of all the ones out there?

DSTChuck: I love them all - even the ones you have not seen yet!

Posted by: A.J.V. Apr 19 2008, 12:38 PM

(1)If you're trying to aim at a younger market, why then do you pick up Licenses of Series like: Back to the Future, Rocky, Desperately Seeking Susan, For A Few Dollars More, and a few others, when they weren't even born yet?

DSTChuck: MM can serve many masters my young apprentice!

(2)Have you guy ever considered acquiring FullMetal Alchemist License or any other Anime Licenses like Naruto,Dragon Ball Z,etc.?

DSTChuck: Nope - Anime is not our bag!

(3)Can you guys use parts from Star Trek, Back to the Future, Rocky, For A Few Dollars More, Battlestar Galactica, etc. in the Marvel Line?

DSTChuck: Yes!

(4)Do you think you guys might make minimates based on the upcoming GI-JOE Movie?

DSTChuck: NOPE!

(5)Any plans on an updated Elektra anytime soon?

DSTChuck: Didn't someone just tell me she is a Skrull or something???

Posted by: Arcdeluxe Apr 22 2008, 10:49 PM

I really love what you guys are doing with the Star Trek minimates, however, I'm concerned that we may not be able to finish our crews for a long time yet. Do you have any plans to complete the crews faster? (ie. boxsets, release 2 waves at a time, etc) Or do we just have to practice a lot of patience? Also, I know you're not allowed to talk about your license, but do you have it for a long enough time that you would be able to complete the crews, at least the main ones?

DSTChuck: I have to be honest, there is a VERY good chance that we will NOT finish every bridge crew for every Trek!

Posted by: xVashx May 8 2008, 06:47 PM

Rumor is that the Rocky 3 boxed set is in danger of not seeing release. To me, it is by far the most exciting of the three sets because of both Mr. T and Hulk Hogan. If the set it not released as is, do you think it would be likely that a Hogan & Mr T two pack could be released? I think it would be a good seller as people who don't even care about Rocky would probably still pick it up.

DSTChuck: We think it will be a big seller as well - so go out and tell the buyers you want your Thunderlips!

Posted by: MINI_MYTE May 10 2008, 09:47 AM

Hi Chuck, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions of us mini addicts.

DSTChuck: No problem, time with my children is secondary to things like this! Keep them coming!

01) Roughly, how many waves of Marvel minimates does DST try to distribute each year?

DSTChuck: IF we fired on all cylinders and such, I think 3 waves of 2 series with some box sets and exclusives is about right for Marvel.

02) Any chance DST'll go back to just making the classic "Big Chest" piece for larger minimate characters instead the newer one (which also includes the crotch slip-over and wedge feet.)? Don't you find that it make their arms look puny and awkward?

DSTChuck: I don't think anything has been decided yet.

03) How many exclusives will be available at SDCC 2008? We've already seen the IM boxed set from AFX, so what are you guys (DST) gonna offer?

DSTChuck: Invaders!

04) What did you think of the Iron Man movie?

DSTChuck: I have not seen it. I've been answering all the Ask DST's that I've fallen behind on....no just kidding - it's AWSOME!

Posted by: ARE-JAY May 12 2008, 11:57 PM

1) Any chance of seeing a non "Battle Damaged" Civil War Captain America?

DSTChuck: I think we're done w/CW stuff.

2) What's the reason for the constant reuse of the New X-Men Phoenix Hairpiece? Currently sporting the same haircut are: New X-Men Jean Grey, Black Cat, Silver Sable, Spider-Woman I, Spider-woman II, Miss Marvel AND the upcoming Dagger.

DSTChuck: Its better then the MJ hair.

3) Is there good odds for a minimate based on the new "Anti-Venom? He looks amazing!

DSTChuck: I have no idea!

4) Not a question at all but just wanted to say thanks for going the extra mile with the recent Marvel Boxsets. All the extra parts you guys included to create various looks of a character is a great idea and very much appreciated. Hope it continues!

DSTChuck: We'll see!

Posted by: MINI_MYTE May 14 2008, 04:16 AM

Sorry to chime in again, but I'll ask on behalf of the majority of forum members.... What were you guys thinking with those Hulk moviemates? They are just awful!

DSTChuck: Was there some sort of election and you were nominated spokesperson? Was it those pesky Super Delegates?? Honestly-sorry you don't like them, we do the best we can with every MM we do and we just hope the folks out there like them. If you think we missed on this one- sorry!

Posted by: minijeff May 17 2008, 07:45 AM

So what is happening with the Back to the Future line? There is still a lot of potential for characters needing to be made to fill out the cast from each movie...in fact there are several key characters missing altogether. Are there plans for more? I sure hope so!! Thanks for your time as always

DSTChuck: We're just taking a little break to see how the first three sets do - if they sell out we've got lots of cool ideas for more MM.

Jeff of the Miniacs

Posted by: Dan May 17 2008, 09:11 AM

What happened to the boot feet in the BTTF 3 pack? They make the figures look so much better.

DSTChuck: I don't recall why we had to change them but yea they looked pretty cool.

All other BTTF sets have had great accessories, so it seems odd to me that this wave couldn't be made to the same standard.

Also as Minijeff says I hope this is not the last line of BTTF. There's so much more to do.

Thanks for your time.

DSTChuck: What do you plan to do with the time I have given you?

Posted by: MiniFiend UK May 17 2008, 09:44 AM

What was the key turning point in releasing more great Marvel boxsets (Defenders/Classic Avengers/Civil War etc) I'm sure I remember boxsets being a low priority after the X-men boxset.

DSTChuck: A coconut dropped on my head a couple years ago and I forget about them until another fell on my head and I remembered, DUH box sets RULE!

Posted by: captain_cbecker May 17 2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks again for indulging our neurotic addiction to Minimates and putting out some really cool characters. The Back to the Future, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and the Westerns have been great likenesses.

DSTChuck: SWEET my work here is done!

1. Most of the Comic Book stores I go to will only order sets from the comic book licenses and the FYE/SUncoast stores seem to carry a sporadic assortment of comic and non-comic product. Are you having issues hitting a good retail channel that is interested in non-comic product and what are your challenges getting Back to the Future, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek & the Clint Eastwood sets and the other, non-comic licenses into the market?

DSTChuck: Like you said it's been very hit and miss. Frankly more inconsistent and spotty than we'd like on both fronts.

2. I've been waiting on the Good, Bad & Ugly set. Are those still planned? (You told us we needed to get those to keep you from lookin' bad.... I'm doing my part)

DSTChuck: We're working on it!

3. You've got some great movie tie-in product (Iron Man, Hulk, Spiderman 3). It would seem that releasing them closer to the movies' release dates would leverage the movie hype to your benefit (better retail interest and sales overall). What are your challenges (if any) coordinating product release with the movie release?

DSTChuck: Yea it kind of stinks. Hopefully with more planning on all fronts we can get these out closer to the movie's debut than we have been. One problem is so much CGI means the movie makers can lock in the looks for stuff SO late that we struggle to get the "final" version.

4. (Non-minimate question) What's the deal with the ST: Series 5 action figure set? At last check, the release date has been pushed back almost a year?

DSTChuck: All I can say and all that matters to you is we SUCK! And I'm sorry we're trying to do much better but the situation is not cool and I know that!

Thanks again

DSTChuck: YEA way to end on an up note folks!