UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

If you like Superhero Squad, Robot Heroes and Adventure heroes...

Lobsterman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually about to post something about this. Pretty awesome how they can get Snake Eyes' V2 "scimitar" sword right for this little McDonald's Happy Meal-like kids' toy, but can't get it right for the 25th Anniversary version of him.

I don't like either Joe exclusive this year, and honestly, I'm kind of glad, because I don't have to worry about going through the hassle and cost of getting one. Thank goodness they didn't do an as-yet-unreleased 25th character, or us Joe fans would be going into nerd-rage on an unprecedented scale.

Edited by karamazov80

Im starting to wonder if I backed the wrong horse...

I mean I loved minimates because it was the same scale, a good mix, marvel, dc, etc

now the shs figures has marvel, transformers, indiana jones, star wars and now gi joe.... &^$@!!

so far this year, titanium man, 2 hulkbuster ironmen, red skull, deadpool, crossbones...crap in a hat.

imagine having indy, captain america, snake eyes, vs darthvader, cobra commander, major bludd, red skull, dr doom and fing fang foom....

yea really starting to wish I would have kicked in on the shs craze!!!

yea really starting to wish I would have kicked in on the shs craze!!!

Yeah, but. . .they suck :confused:

Dude, they don't suck, they just aren't for everyone <_< Just like, Minimates aren't everyone's cup of tea (*GASP!! Did he just say that Minimates aren't everyone's cup of tea?). To be singular in one's collection shows a tendency for narrowmindiness. BTW, the larger scaled MSHS look great with Minimates :thumbsup: Thanks for the link Lobsterman, I look forward to picking these up and hope this line continues outside of the con's.

Dude, they don't suck, they just aren't for everyone <_< Just like, Minimates aren't everyone's cup of tea (*GASP!! Did he just say that Minimates aren't everyone's cup of tea?). To be singular in one's collection shows a tendency for narrowmindiness. BTW, the larger scaled MSHS look great with Minimates :thumbsup: Thanks for the link Lobsterman, I look forward to picking these up and hope this line continues outside of the con's.

I always thought that "narrowmindedness" was the result of an unwillingness not to consider the "goodness" of other things or of other ideas. To logically evaluate alternative perspectives or possibilities, and to then come to the perspective that something sucks, would not be the result of "narrowmindedness," but rather of one's opinion based upon pre-dispositions and tastes. Perhaps true "narrowmindedness" is the inability to consider this potentiality. Or maybe not :(

To be "singular" in one's collection could also reflect income or space considerations. Conversely, being more "pluralistic" could be the result of an inability to recognize these constraints. It could also be the result of a grossly disorganized personality disorder, or of being one who receives free gifts from toy companies.

This will be the second line of these I collect. Galactic Heroes are too plain, I'm not THAT much of an Indy fan, and the SHS are too numerous.

I LOVE my Robot Heroes, and cannot wait to have some GI JOE guys to go with them (though I would have picked the name "Real American Heroes")

I always thought that "narrowmindedness" was the result of an unwillingness not to consider the "goodness" of other things or of other ideas. To logically evaluate alternative perspectives or possibilities, and to then come to the perspective that something sucks, would not be the result of "narrowmindedness," but rather of one's opinion based upon pre-dispositions and tastes. Perhaps true "narrowmindedness" is the inability to consider this potentiality. Or maybe not :(

To be "singular" in one's collection could also reflect income or space considerations. Conversely, being more "pluralistic" could be the result of an inability to recognize these constraints. It could also be the result of a grossly disorganized personality disorder, or of being one who receives free gifts from toy companies.

WOW, I bet that took some time :P Me? I try to think outside the box. I collect what I like, I don't live beyond my means, I don't get anything I haven't paid for and I don't slam things just because I don't like them. To me, that is just stinkin' thinkin' and energy best served in a positive direction. That was my point, take it for what it's worth or not ;)

WOW, I bet that took some time :P Me? I try to think outside the box. I collect what I like, I don't live beyond my means, I don't get anything I haven't paid for and I don't slam things just because I don't like them. To me, that is just stinkin' thinkin' and energy best served in a positive direction. That was my point, take it for what it's worth or not ;)

Just joshin', dude. I understood your point, and was trying to make light (probably unsuccessfully as usual, it is hard to decipher intent and tone in forum posts sometimes). Honestly, though, my irrational love for Minimates makes me react violently against outsiders trying to take their audience away. . .though small children don't really have much access to Minimates anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if more adult collectors started thinking in the manner that MOC posted, and turn away from Minimates as a result. Which would suck, because even if you like these children's toys, by being a member here, I'm guessing that you might like Minimates just as much, if not more. :P

(it did take me about 5 minutes to write that. . .but it was either that or sleep, so as usual, I chose the former :) )

I think one of the problems I've always had with the SHS GH etc.. is that that are in effect a very stylised chew toy.

Let's be honest they have on average 3 POA? ( arms and waist?) and are made to look like every figure is a 5 year old hopped up on 'e'.

The flip side of that is that minimates have an awesome 14 points of articulation and a very strongly base design. I do believe that the over use of molded chest/head pieces is eroding that aesthetic and they have started to become ugly and over designed. I also suspect that one of minimates strong points ( no pun intended) that they are easily pulled apart it's also a downside if you give one to a 4 year old... some body part will be lost within the hour you can almost bet on it.

At the end of the day though Hasbro do have 'all the killer licenses' and with SHS etc doing so well I doubt that DST will ever get G.I.JOE, StarWars or Indy at this scale because Hasbro has it all sown up.

Interestingly for the last couple of years I've thinking that Hasbro should have bought AA ( before DST did) and made lines for all the big licenses they have, if they'd have done so and gottenbehind it properly and pushed them into the big name stores then they'd have a sure fire success on their hands... but that's just my opinion and count's for nothing more than a hill of beans...

T.

No worries Karamazoo. I'm most likely cranky, as we're having a heat wave and while I am a California native, I've acclimated to the Pacific Northwest too well :P TBT, I think you proved a point. With Minimates you have too many moving parts for kids to choke on. While the MSHS has limited mobility and a parent is afraid their kids is going to swallow this whole :yucky: Not to mention, as you pointed out, kids are going to have limited access to the Minimates unless their parents take them to the LCBG every week. Now I hope to be that type of parent someday, but not every parent is :no: Which I find unfortunate, every kid deserves a hobby and Minimates is a fun one.

With Minimates you have too many moving parts for kids to choke on.

What is the optimum number of Minimate moving parts required to successfully choke a child? Do you need to hold their noses?

YEP!!

BSG needs to be done in SHS style. BSG Cylons vs Stormtroopers....

:D Truer words have never been spoken........

After seeing the news on the upcoming Combat Heroes, I am defiently relooking Superhero Squad. Only about a half dozen have ever caught my interest; Silver Surfer, Silver Savage, Phoenix (Red and Green), Annihilus, Mary Jane, Galactus and the Movie Sandman. Time to go back and look for those as I patiently wait for the GI Joe minifigures.

Now the hard part, getting my hands on that SDCC set. :blush:

With Minimates you have too many moving parts for kids to choke on.

What is the optimum number of Minimate moving parts required to successfully choke a child? Do you need to hold their noses?

why use perfectly good minimate parts when you could use a BAF part from a toybiz marvel legend !!! :thumbsup:

These are AMAZING!!! now why do the GIJOE heros get guns and the HulkBusters cant!?!?!? thats my only question

post-1929-1211759178_thumb.jpg

post-1929-1211759240_thumb.jpg

Now that they're finally releasing my Marvel killer app characters as figures this year (Comic Black Costume Spidey, She-Hulk and Ms. Mavel) I may finally bite on SHS.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a big fan of the line going back to Galactic Heroes and have a small army of Clone Troopers to ward off any 3" threats. Currently, I have picked up one of the Indiana Jones sets but have been mostly focused on the various Spider-Man sets with a few odd ball figures in between (mainly Captain America and the greatly cool Savage Surfer). The last set I picked up was the Black Costume Spidey and I'm actively looking for the Ben Reilly Spider-Man vs Carnage set (especially since I'm a rather HUGE Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly fan).

While I love the minimates, there is something very addictive about the "Heroes" lines and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how well the GI Joe lines will do. In all seriousness though, I really think the minimates is a more collectable hobby while the "Heroes" lines are more playable, especially for their suggested audience. Not that I don't love both lines but each one offers different things - not limited to but including characters and costumes used.

• 3 weeks later...

They have announced a couple more. Much as I don't care for these figures, I will buy both of these:

Zartan/Snake Eyes

Firefly/Bazooka

Flint, Zartan, and Firefly are my 3 favorite Joes/Cobras, and I buy just about any "classic"-looking figures of them.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=13133

Edited by karamazov80

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on my previous post, I think that I will soon become a very big fan of some of these little bastards:

http://hisstank.com/gallery/Joecon-Officia...ODUCT_IMAGES_50

http://hisstank.com/gallery/Joecon-Officia...ODUCT_IMAGES_49

How cool is that Zartan and Firefly? And why is it that they look 100X better than any previous "Superhero Squad" figure that I have seen? Maybe the lack of stupid smiley faces? (it is forgivable on the lovable goof Bazooka--but he even doesn't look as goofy like the Indiana Jones and Star Wars figs that I've seen. . .)