UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Darn it!

So I blanked and completely bough the wrong paints (Testors Enamel). I just finished my first minimate custom, and of course it is sticky and tacky. So my question is.... if I painted it over with Games Workshop paints, will it cover-up the tackiness, or did I just doom this custom.?

Thanks for the help!

--Joe Hill

Ouch! yeah I did that once, enamels and minimates are not a happy mix! ( esp the more rubbery parts)

Depends on how thick the paint is & if you're coating or fine lining...

My gut feeling is 'scrap' if it's thick, thinner lines can be wiped til it dries then painted over.

Can I ask who/ what you were customizing? Cost of original mini will mean a lot to how you move forwards.

one other thought is if you are really happy is to try to clear coat it 'as is', it might just work!

T.

Ouch! yeah I did that once, enamels and minimates are not a happy mix! ( esp the more rubbery parts)

Depends on how thick the paint is & if you're coating or fine lining...

My gut feeling is 'scrap' if it's thick, thinner lines can be wiped til it dries then painted over.

Can I ask who/ what you were customizing? Cost of original mini will mean a lot to how you move forwards.

one other thought is if you are really happy is to try to clear coat it 'as is', it might just work!

T.

Thanks for the reply!

Enamel Paints really should come with a warning:

"Keep out of reach of Minimates"

Alright, I'm a dork. :P

Anyhow, I was customizing an X-Men Jubilee Mate, I based her look from the X-Men Legends Video Games.

Click Image to Enlarge

th_IMG_1730.jpg

jubilee.jpg

Recipe:

Head: SF2 Morrigan

Hair: Ultimate Jean Grey (Painted/Sculpted Sunglasses)

Torso: Ultimate Jean Grey

Arms: Ultimate Wolverine (Painted/Sculpted Sleeves)

Legs: New X-Men Wolverine

Accessories: Robin Gloves (Painted)

I think I'll try clear coating it and seeing if that helps. It couldn't hurt, right?

Edited by Joe Hill

I've ruined a few customs with Enamel, so I feel the pain. I had run out of Acrylic black and had the Enamel laying around, so I figured "what's the difference?" Yellowjacket and Cloak are now in solitary confinement, so as not to infect the rest of the minimate population. I first noticed the problem when Dagger started turning black. Apparently she was rubbing up on one of them and ruined her paint apps. Of course, Cloak and Dagger will soon be retired when wave 23 comes out.

I really like your custom. I always really liked that costume for Jubilee. Nice work on it so far. How did you do the sleeves?

Yeah you might want to give it some clear coat, it could very well cover up the enamel and when it dries I would think it would seal the tackiness of the enamel.

Like you said, couldn't hurt.

i paint with that same paint brand and if i have a paint that wont seal then i either use clear coat or i wait until it gets simi dry and coat it with quick dry super glue it sometimes dulls the paint but if you put it on with just a thin coat then i should work out fine :D

Edited by CRISIS Survivor

I really like your custom. I always really liked that costume for Jubilee. Nice work on it so far. How did you do the sleeves?

Thanks! I liked this uniform for Jubilee because it made her more part of the team. Before, when she would just wear the jean shorts and t-shirt, she seemed like a tag-a-long. Plus I really like the movie-universe X-Men attire, and I felt this one sort of matched to what the movieverse X-Men student would wear. Her sleeves are a thin strip of sculpy, I forgot to put that in the recipe.

In case anybody was curious, the dull coat worked on the hard plastic pieces, but the rubbery pieces (as TBT! said) are still somewhat sticky. Luckily I think the custom is salvageable, but I definitely learned my lesson the hard way (the "I just wasted $40" hard way :angry: )

Oh well, now I know what not to do for my upcoming Gambit and Psylocke customs.

Edited by Joe Hill