UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC exclusive

cornflakes

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!

After Civil War, Classic Avengers, Movie Iron Man, Movie Hulk, and this new Through the Ages box set not only is my wallet going to feel alot lighter (to get all of the variants to display) but I think I'm going to need a new pair of boxers. LOL. God these sets are amazing!!!!! This is going to be one of the best years for Minimates I think i've seen.

Is there anyway the people who run this site would be able to sell this boxset and the FA Avengers one? It seemed like they were considering selling the Civil War set, but a lot of people had already bought them by the time it was being talked about. I would personally love to buy through here, I'm not going to be able to go to SDCC and I don't have any LCS that regularly get in Minimates. I normally have to buy online, and if I could help this site along the way, that would be awesome. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Strange....

....how did Tony get a bottle of Ambrosia from Battlestar Galactica..........

very strange indeed.

***for those who are all like ????, it is the same bottle that came with Tigh.

Not to mention that it looks like "cult leader Baltar" under that silver proto-armor mask! :)

I reeeaally hope that AFX has these available on their website as I won't be going to SDCC and need at least 2 of these. Awesome set! B)

Is there anyway the people who run this site would be able to sell this boxset and the FA Avengers one? It seemed like they were considering selling the Civil War set, but a lot of people had already bought them by the time it was being talked about. I would personally love to buy through here, I'm not going to be able to go to SDCC and I don't have any LCS that regularly get in Minimates. I normally have to buy online, and if I could help this site along the way, that would be awesome. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

I'd buy a set of each through here if it was possible.

As excellent as all of these IronMen are, it just leads me to the next question (besides, "How the heck am I gonna get these?")of "Where the heck are the villans? Now we really need a Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo, and Titanium Man"!! :)

The problem with 'can someone supply me these sets' is that it involves a fair amount of cash upfront.

for the sake of simplicity say these are $15-$20 each and we have 20 of you that want to buy them (and that's only one set each).. that's $300-400 initial outlay. which is a fair dent in 'someones' pocket. It always takes a while to get the cash back as there's always one or two that drag their heels paying. And that's without the joys of chasing people and shipping etc.

It's one of the reasons I'm very selective on taking peoples 'orders for SDCC' as I almost always end up out of pocket.

Not saying it's not going to happen, I'm just saying if it does then Please don't take those involved for granted.

T.

Not saying it's not going to happen, I'm just saying if it does then Please don't take those involved for granted.

Agreed. There are a few guys on the board who make it to San Diego every year, and they're always very gracious about helping out our travel-challenged counterparts.

I think it would be difficult for "the board" as an entity to get into any sort of commerce arrangement, as it's still just individuals who go to the con and pick the sets up. Presumably, though, you are helping the board via the advertising dollars you bring in with every page you click through... ;)

No doubt there will be a "begging" thread established sooner than later. Perhaps those who are going to San Diego and willing to help a brother (or sister) out can make themselves known? Also, these exclusives inevitably end up on several retail sites within weeks of the convention, so they won't be impossible to get.

The problem with 'can someone supply me these sets' is that it involves a fair amount of cash upfront.

for the sake of simplicity say these are $15-$20 each and we have 20 of you that want to buy them (and that's only one set each).. that's $300-400 initial outlay. which is a fair dent in 'someones' pocket. It always takes a while to get the cash back as there's always one or two that drag their heels paying. And that's without the joys of chasing people and shipping etc.

It's one of the reasons I'm very selective on taking peoples 'orders for SDCC' as I almost always end up out of pocket.

T.

and this is exactly why I offer to pay up front for anyone willing to hook me up....that way the kind soul thats helping me out isnt out of pocketing for their generosity.....just my way of helping the helpful

Jeff of the Miniacs

Weren't the Civil War mates a NY Con exclusive also by AFX? And aren't they still selling them on thier website? While I would love to be the first on the block to have these I can't imagine they won't be available on AFX website at some point. Patience young Jedis....... B)

Yee-hah! [Does the Happy Cappy dance with Timbo! (being careful not to bump bums, of course)] This is an excellent set of MiniMates, whether you're an Iron Man fan or not.

I'm with karamazov: this trend of box sets with alterntative costumes is very exciting!

Edited by Cappy

Weren't the Civil War mates a NY Con exclusive also by AFX? And aren't they still selling them on thier website?

Yeah that's what I thought too. Also maybe some veterans can answer this for me? A little confused here....... Has there been any indication whether or not this set will be available after the show online at shopafx.com? Also, has there ever been an instance when Mates were not available after a show online? I am excited about this set just as much as the next guy but, It kinda sounds like a few people are getting a little worked up over nothing if this is the case.

Edited by Fo Shizzle

A little confused here....... Has there been any indication whether or not this set will be available after the show online at shopafx.com? Also, has there ever been an instance when Mates were not available after a show online? I am excited about this set just as much as the next guy but, It kinda sounds like a few people are getting a little worked up over nothing if this is the case.

This quote has me someone troubled: "available only from Action Figure Xpress at this summer’s San Diego Comic Con." But it could be read as available only from AFX only at SDCC, or only from AFX at SDCC, and online/through Previews afterward. Regarding your specific question as to past exclusives, I've only been collecting for a year, but I know that last year's exclusive--the zombie 2-pack--was readily available both online and through Previews after the SDCC. That, and the fact that the New York CC had several AFX exclusives that were available online immediately after the show, and the fact that they would be rather foolish to restrict the number of these available since it might be one of the biggest selling box sets yet, I would bet, makes me think that we will all have a shot at getting these at some point. . .but you never know. . .

A little confused here....... Has there been any indication whether or not this set will be available after the show online at shopafx.com? Also, has there ever been an instance when Mates were not available after a show online? I am excited about this set just as much as the next guy but, It kinda sounds like a few people are getting a little worked up over nothing if this is the case.

This quote has me someone troubled: "available only from Action Figure Xpress at this summer’s San Diego Comic Con." But it could be read as available only from AFX only at SDCC, or only from AFX at SDCC, and online/through Previews afterward. Regarding your specific question as to past exclusives, I've only been collecting for a year, but I know that last year's exclusive--the zombie 2-pack--was readily available both online and through Previews after the SDCC. That, and the fact that the New York CC had several AFX exclusives that were available online immediately after the show, and the fact that they would be rather foolish to restrict the number of these available since it might be one of the biggest selling box sets yet, I would bet, makes me think that we will all have a shot at getting these at some point. . .but you never know. . .

They said the same thing about the NYCC one. I promise you it'll be available. If it isn't, I'll eat MY hat!

*Does the happy Cappy dance!!*

This set is a dream set for an IM fan like me :)

For those that care... and want to check out where these armors come from...

Modular Armor Iron Man, #300

Proto-Classic Iron Man, The first Red/Gold IM from Tales of Suspense #48 (Extra mask ToS #55?)

Recovery Armor Iron Man #191

Demon In A Bottle Iron Man! #128 - well Tony Stark anyway ;)

- Needs a dresser accessory to do the cover of the book properly though ;) *Matt/Chuck what does the marvel license stipulate for furniture?*

Is IronMan the new Wolverine of the minimate world... and do I care ( the answer is probably... and Hell no!)

I'm going to need a bigger hall of armors!!!

T.

More vairety possible with Iron Man than Wolverine. With Wolvie, it all feels the same, Iron feels different each time.

the fact the wwc is BEFORE sdcc makes me want to spit...

yea I know alot of people scoop up the sdcc exclusives at WWC after SDCC but this year I dont know what kind of show WWC is gonna have....there wont be much in the form of big announcments or reveals as most companies save those for SDCC

Jeff of the Miniacs

More vairety possible with Iron Man than Wolverine. With Wolvie, it all feels the same, Iron feels different each time.

I guess it depends on your view of Wolverine. I'd be ok with getting a Wolverine in his Japanese robes (is it a kimono for men?), AOA Wolverine, feral bone claw Wolverine, 1st appearance Wolverine (in a boxed set with Wendigo and Hulk, natch), Weapon X Wolverine, Patch Wolverine (not in the tux, but in the brown jacket & jeans), and last, but certainly not least, the black & yellow costume Adam Kubert drew Wolverine wearing (really, just a reverse image of the blue & yellow IMO). If we could get a clear mate with an adamantium skeleton printed on it (or floating inside) that would be the cherry on top.

Maybe Chuck will read this and give us an all Wolverine wave soon... :D

I guess it depends on your view of Wolverine. I'd be ok with getting a Wolverine in his Japanese robes (is it a kimono for men?), AOA Wolverine, feral bone claw Wolverine, 1st appearance Wolverine (in a boxed set with Wendigo and Hulk, natch), Weapon X Wolverine, Patch Wolverine (not in the tux, but in the brown jacket & jeans), and last, but certainly not least, the black & yellow costume Adam Kubert drew Wolverine wearing (really, just a reverse image of the blue & yellow IMO). If we could get a clear mate with an adamantium skeleton printed on it (or floating inside) that would be the cherry on top.

Maybe Chuck will read this and give us an all Wolverine wave soon... :D

I have to agree with Trekker here. Iron Man suits are always welcome to me, but I am so bored of Wolverines and Spider-mans now, especially different versions of the classic suit for Spidey.

I can't wait for this boxed set.

Personally, I would love to get cool, updated versions of: 1) classic blue and yellow Wolverine; 2) "first appearance" blue and yellow wolverine, and 3) classic brown Wolverine. The versions of these that we got were done years ago (minus first appearance Wolvie, obviously), and in my opinion, could use updates. The blue and yellow one, particularly, looks kind of bland. New designs with slightly more detail and nuance could work really well. Plus, neither of the "masked" Wolvies available got a great mouth to go with their respective masks. I think a slip-over mask like the DCD Batmans and others, could work great, if done right.

The reason that I am personally not thrilled with many of the other previous Wolvie-mates is that they are either pretty uninspired and generic-looking (Logan with tank top, Logan with tuxedo), or they reference recent, and not incredibly iconic or recognizable outfits to the more casual fan--Astonishing Wolvie, "New X-Men" Wolvie, etc.

This is obviously just my opinion, but I don't think that Iron Man has the same problem. Each different look seems cool and interesting in its own way, and makes for a cool diversity of Minimates. When you have a bunch of Logan's standing around with different jackets, pants, and faces, that is less interesting to me.

The only problem that I have with the Spidermen is that they would do too many variations of essentially the same Spidey figure design--battle damaged, mask-less, half-mask, half Spidey/half Peter Parker. I have no problem at all with 2099, Scarlet Spider, Symbiote, even Amazing Fantasty and McFarlane Spideys (which are different enough to warrant figures, IMO). But then again, I love Spidey, so I am biased.