UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do you collect besides Minimates? Whats the most Expensive?

rx78jj

Other than minimates, I collect G.I. Joes. the 12" variety. Mostly the 60's re-issue stuff. I also collect Hot Toys stuff and Medicom Stuff. The sixth scale kind. I'm starting to get into comics, but only getting the ones that are compiled into volumes. Now as anyone who remotely knows, Hot toys and Medicom ain't exactly cheap. I got a few. I got Briareos from Appleseed, Old Snake and Naked Snake from Metal Gear Solid, Robocop, Hudson from Aliens and Jin Roh from Kereberos. I also have some of the DC Direct 13" figures. Batman and Superman. I also have a few MArvel Legends but got out of it to mostly concentrate on minimates. The most expensive one there is the Jin Roh. Close to $200.00. But I have to thank my beautiful g/f for that one. Love you Honey! I also make some custom sixth scale stuff. I made a Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid, Jack Bauer from 24, Agent Smith from Matrix, Punisher ( currently under construction), Hunk from Resident Evil (under construction). So what do you have stored away in your closet on proudly displaying. :D

I mainly collect 3 3/4" GI Joes in addition to Minimates. I have most of the 1982-85 ARAH line, and nearly all of the 25th anniversary figures (minus a few overly excessive repaints and/or stupid comic pack figures). I also have a few Transformers (pretty much exclusively G1, Classics, Masterpiece Alts, and WST--I only like the G1 stuff from when I was a kid). I also have a few DC Direct 6 inch figures (mostly JSA, Justice League, and LSH), the 13 inch Deluxe Superman and blue Batman (seriously debating getting the Flash and forthcoming GL, though I can't really afford it). I also have a few Marvel Legends (Captain America is the only one I keep in the living room) and JLU figures in the closet. That's pretty much it for me.

I would love to have some of the Sideshow, Dragon, or "RAH" (I usually use that to decribe "Real American Hero" GI Joes, not "Real Action Hero" Medicom toys, but. . .) figures, but as I mentioned above, I spend too much on Minimates alone as it is, so I don't have any of them yet. I will have that Sideshow Indiana Jones, though. And if they release Ghostbusters, I will sell my soul for them if need be :)

--edit: I completely forgot about the Palisades Muppets. Those were my big obsession last year, and I picked up most of the ones that I wanted, including the entire Electric Mayhem (though my Zoot is a variant--and I don't have Lips, but I don't consider him a real member of the band), and the Backstage set with regular Rowlf the dog. My Mayhem is actually one of my proudest toy groups. They sit proudly on my television (note: if anyone has a yellow shirt Zoot lying around in their closet, I would probably trade you all the Minimates and Joes listed in my trade thread for him. . . :) ).--

Edited by karamazov80

Mostly Star Wars figures and just random superhero toys, Marvel Legends, JLU, etc. Majority of them are female characters that I like and if they are guy figures I only collect the good guys for some reason. My crowning piece thought is a the Star Wars Battle Pack Capture of Tantive IV. I found mine at a Target here in Tampa but instead of the old school Stormtroopers that are on the back of the box, it has two Battle Droids packed on either side of Darth Vader. I thought someone was trying to play a really sick joke on me but after looking at each piece of tape for like half an hour when I got home and doing research for months to see if anybody else had something similar and nothing has even come close. But the Mates have pretty much taken over the focus of my collecting and I've slowly been gathering old Mega Bloks sets to eventually set up a cool minimates display.

Edited by Fo Shizzle

--edit: I completely forgot about the Palisades Muppets. Those were my big obsession last year, and I picked up most of the ones that I wanted, including the entire Electric Mayhem (though my Zoot is a variant--and I don't have Lips, but I don't consider him a real member of the band), and the Backstage set with regular Rowlf the dog. My Mayhem is actually one of my proudest toy groups. They sit proudly on my television (note: if anyone has a yellow shirt Zoot lying around in their closet, I would probably trade you all the Minimates and Joes listed in my trade thread for him. . . :) ).--

WOW! I just looked at Zoot figs on Ebay out of curiousity. A loose yellow shirt currently going for $61. Buy it nows are $200+!

I enjoyed the Muppets line, but didn't get into it due to space/display constraints. Is Zoot fairly rare and unique in this price range or are there other, similarly priced Muppets floating aroung out there? (I still kick myself for not buying Super Grover at the Con when I could've...)

Aside from 'mates, I collect Jumbo Machinders (aka Shogun Warriors here in the US). I have all the common ones and am at a point where if I want to continue to expand my collection, the only way to go is to start buying the rarer Japan only characters - lots of those go for $500 minimum and can go upwards of $2000+ for some figs.

what do I collect besides minimates....well as of now nothing really.

I did up until the last wave (released) collect all of the marvel legend figures, but thought the transfer to hasbro degraded the quality so much, that I have since boxed them up and put them in storage.

Several years ago, I collected all of the star wars power of the force, 3 3/4 action figures, but gave them up one day, and gave every one I had to my at the time 5 year old nephew, and haven't bought a new star wars figure in forever. I did buy 1 bobafet (mcquarrie) during a dry spell, but have no idea why, as I didn't even keep it. So that told me I was done with Star Wars.

So really right now minimates are my 1 obsession, now I have to admit I like the designs of the marvel mighty muggs, but know i will not get them, due to size.

So in the forseeable future, minimates are it for me.

moc847

Edited by murderofcrows

Other than Minimates, I collect high end statues & busts (mostly statues). A lot like Luke, I have a few items from Sideshow. The premium format Hulk is my favorite. I also pick up a lot of what Randy Bowen does. I have many Bowen Designs statues and busts. I also have a cabinet full of Gentle Giant Star Wars busts. They are so well detailed that I have a hard time passing them up. In fact, I also pick up other Gentle Giant pieces like Lord of the Rings and I am really eyeing their new horror line. I don't limit myself to any one maker, as I also have pieces from Diamond Select, DCD, NECA, Master Replicas, Attakus, Hard Hero, and many others.

Sideshow and Bowen pieces are expensive (usually $200-$400 each), but I really like them. The high cost keeps me very selective, but I love every piece I own.

Oh, and I have WAY too many Minimates!

I have a large collection of Marvel Legends from back when Toy Biz was still making them. I cut back on Marvel Legends when Hasbro took over, and now only pick them up if I really like the character.

I'm picking up some of the new DC Universe figures, but only the characters I'm interested in.

And I'm still reading and collecting comics. I think I'm over 12,000 now.

well minimates are the bulk of it right now, although the 25th GI Joes have managed to sneak in there along with the different character specific Mr Potato heads ie StarWars, Spidey and Optimus Prime....kinda excited to get the Indiana Jones one. Comics is the other main collection for me, between those and minimates my limited hobby budget gets eaten up nicely.

Jeff of the Miniacs

Dust.! It's free easily available seems to fit my shelf space perfectly and there always seems to be more of the stuff!

Seriously though, Minimates are my main 'gotta have em all' addiction.

I wouldn't say I intentionally collect anything else, however I dabble in Kubricks as they have some great licenses and have a weak spot for buying boardgames so I guess I could say I have a fairly small but growing collection going.

T.

p.s. if Anyone out there has a copy of the old games workshop game 'Space Hulk' or extra tracks for Formula De I'd love to take them it off your hands! ;)

WOW! I just looked at Zoot figs on Ebay out of curiousity. A loose yellow shirt currently going for $61. Buy it nows are $200+!

I enjoyed the Muppets line, but didn't get into it due to space/display constraints. Is Zoot fairly rare and unique in this price range or are there other, similarly priced Muppets floating aroung out there? (I still kick myself for not buying Super Grover at the Con when I could've...)

It is strange that Zoot really isn't any rarer than any of the other wave 3 Muppets. However, that wave was, amongst all Muppet waves, the one released with the fewest figures produced (I'm pretty sure--one of the later waves had a low production run, too, but I don't think that it was as low as wave 3). The reason for the high price on Zoot is that, for some reason, each case had, I believe, one regular Zoot and one variant with the red shirt. Thus, the variant was no rarer than the regular version, and each of those Zoots is treated by Muppet collectors as being a difficult to find, one per case figure of a wave that was just difficult to find in the first place.

Interestingly, the Scooter (who is a more important and well-known Muppet than Zoot by far) can sometimes be found on eBay dirt cheap, even though there are an equal number of wave 3 "Zoots" and Scooters around. The only difference is that there are half as many of a given Zoot figure. Lew Zealand is also cheap and easy to find, whereas, no doubt due to the character's popularity and the quality of the sculpt, the Rowlf in that wave typically sells for very high prices, even though it was just as easy to find as Scooter or Lew Zealand.

Here are some examples that I just found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Palisades-Muppets-Scoo...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Muppets-TUXEDO-ROWLF-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZOOT-Original-Yellow-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Muppets-ZOOT-Red-Shirt...1QQcmdZViewItem

The Muppet collecting world is about as strange as its Minimate counterpart. . .and you all thought that 80 dollar aberration for the Iron Man variant was outrageous, but Zoot has sold for these prices consistently, at least since last summer :)

(note: also the exclusives such as Super Grover, Jim Henson, and the "wedding" Kermit and Piggy are typically very expensive as well, due largely to low supply)

Edited by karamazov80

Currently just Transformers and any Green Lantern figures from DC Direct. I also have a bunch of the DC Direct 13" Deluxe figures and I'm still debating on getting into the DCUC line. Series 1 doesn't do a whole lot for me but Series 2 and 3 look too cool to pass up.

Transformers. Hundreds of them. Thousands. Literally. A few years ago i was at 800+ so yeah, i suspect it's over 1000 by now. Spiderman Classics (I still need a few old the old oles). Minimates, obviously. MOSC Star Wars, SW unleashed (7" figures), GI Joe, mostly 25th and JvC, Spy Troops, VvV and the HTS stuff. I have a serious problem with the look of the older figures, and since they have no nostalgia value to me, well... I also have some MLs and similar toys. PVCs, gahpon and other various Japanese lines like Microman. That stuff gets expensive though so i have to limit myself. What else? Comics, Statues, Legos. I also have/will have some of the bbi Cool Girl figures, as I love those. I've got my first Sideshow one coming, so we'll see how they stack up.

Oh yeah...

Barbies.

Dust.! It's free easily available seems to fit my shelf space perfectly and there always seems to be more of the stuff!

Seriously though, Minimates are my main 'gotta have em all' addiction.

I wouldn't say I intentionally collect anything else, however I dabble in Kubricks as they have some great licenses and have a weak spot for buying boardgames so I guess I could say I have a fairly small but growing collection going.

T.

p.s. if Anyone out there has a copy of the old games workshop game 'Space Hulk' or extra tracks for Formula De I'd love to take them it off your hands! ;)

I used to work in a shop that specializes in old wargames and that sort of stuff I remember them from time to time getting in Old copies of Space Hulk, Heroquest etc and it used to be able to get separate formula De track pieces. I you want I can PM you the phone number, email etc and you can see wht they can get for you.

Now back to the thread.

Minimates for me are my number 1 (if you dont count tattoos, piercings and hangovers) the only other things I get are the Marvel and DC Superhero Collection statues you can get in the UK with the magazines. I am really thinking about the marvel mighty muggs stuff but its finding somewhere to put em.

Now back to the thread.

Minimates for me are my number 1 (if you dont count tattoos, piercings and hangovers) the only other things I get are the Marvel and DC Superhero Collection statues you can get in the UK with the magazines.

You mean those little 3" metal Marvel statues? I've got a few of those. Okay, one of those. Black Cat. But I like the rest. XD

Comics is pretty much it for me. (along with mates of course) I don't collect Comics for the hell of it though, I collect certain series like Thor (Best comic currently going) and anything with the Thunderbolts or Namor in it. Namor is the best and that Venom/Namor fight really and truly made my day.

LEGO is my main thing. Sadly, I have given up Minimates except for a few odds and ends I've still got lying around. I just got tired of some of the quality issues with the mates, and I really hate the sculpted torsos that seem to be on every other character now. Sculpted heads are OK with me... sculpted torsos, not so much.

I'm also really fond of the McFarlane Halo line, and will be buying them here and there as they are released. I'm going to need some help with the SDCC exclusive, though. Hint, hint! ;)

Now back to the thread.

Minimates for me are my number 1 (if you dont count tattoos, piercings and hangovers) the only other things I get are the Marvel and DC Superhero Collection statues you can get in the UK with the magazines.

You mean those little 3" metal Marvel statues? I've got a few of those. Okay, one of those. Black Cat. But I like the rest. XD

These http://www.marvel-figurines.co.uk/ and these http://www.eaglemoss.com/dc/index.html

Maschinen Krieger (aka Ma.k, SAFS,SF3D, Melusine) which are mental money. Kubricks which are similar mental money. I have all the PALZ which were also expensive . I dabbled with Sideshow & have all the X-Files inc. the exclusives.

I am now mentally deranged with no money.

As if to tease me ,this turned up on ebay today http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-Kubrick-5-...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is the only item that I'm missing from the entire Star Wars Kubrick collection. There, I've said it, I've got the lot....except that box-set. Just look at the price :ohmy: ........ & that is what I'll have to pay for 5 bits of assembled plastic......not today though :sad: I reckon the seller's name is apt (almost) :P

As if to tease me ,this turned up on ebay today http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-Kubrick-5-...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is the only item that I'm missing from the entire Star Wars Kubrick collection. There, I've said it, I've got the lot....except that box-set. Just look at the price :ohmy: ........ & that is what I'll have to pay for 5 bits of assembled plastic......not today though :sad: I reckon the seller's name is apt (almost) :P

Bloody hell. How come it's so expensive? Was it like an exclusive or something?

BHM, just be patient. I've seen that set go for half that.

Now, if you ever spot a Tarkin at a good price, let me know! Why they had to make him a chase, I'll never know.

Bloody hell. How come it's so expensive? Was it like an exclusive or something?

Yes,it's what is known as a 'Mail- Away' exclusive. I think you have to be half-Samurai, or at least have a Japanese address.