UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q & A #8 Answers

Shanester

Minimate Multiverse Q&A #8 Answers

I know at this point DST doesn't hold the license, doesn't have any say, etc. However, if DC Direct drops the ball on DC Minimates (which is the current gossip), is there any chance you guys could/would ride in on your white horse and save the day? I don't know if DCD even considers licensing out like that. Is it something you have discussed with them, by chance?

As always, thanks for your time.

DSTChuck: That's pretty much 100% up to DC Direct. If they were interested in licensing it we'd of course listen, but we'd also have to look and see if we thought we'd be able to make a profit on the line.

Thanks for blessing us with your answers Chuck! Here are two more questions:

DSTChuck: I've never thought of myself as the "blessing" type, more the type that would burn if doused with holy water.

Will Hannibal come with his mask in the Silence of the Lambs set? We have heard rumors of a licensing problem with the mask itself.

DSTChuck: There will be a mask packed in the SOL box set.

If the Silence of the Lambs set sells well, will you consider doing more horror/suspense movie minimates?

DSTChuck: No WAY! DST makes a habit of running from lines that offer profit and high sales... Yes, of course we would if the deal was right for us..

So, what's up with the no Mudd law? I mean, I hate Mudd, but why can't you do him? Is it some sort of actor thing?

DSTChuck: Yes, it has to do with the actor/estate/ CBS... but I'm sorry you don't like the guy.

Secondly: Have you talked to Disney about doing mates with them?

DSTChuck: We're not really on Disney's speed dial if you know what I mean, but heck lots of folks here love Disney (I like the villains) so never say never.

Lastly, with the production of The Hobbit possible and with MGM distributing it, are mates, released around the same time of the film possible?

DSTChuck: I've got to be honest, we've thought about it. Just not sure we want to jump into that mega merchandising machine...

Thanks for the great answers on the last Q&A.

DSTChuck: I expect one fan's "great answers" are another fan's "disappointing answers"

1, Will the Doctor Who mates work like the DC mates? What I mean is how Art Asylum designs the DC mates and DCD distributes them, will it be the same way with Underground Toys? (hope this question makes sense)

DSTChuck: Kind of, yes. Underground has the license and we're working for them.

2, Will we see Modern BSG mates based on season 3 before season 4? It seems like all the BSG mates released so far are from the miniseries, season 1, 2 and Razor. I would love New Caprica mates.

DSTChuck: I think for now we're pretty happy with the way the first four waves tied up the first three seasons. The Razor set touches on what we think are the most unique aspects of that movie and waves 5 etc... will touch on more season 4 characters, but there is a very good chance we'll also supplement with characters from earlier season especially those that are now more prominent.

3, I Have noticed with my SciFi giveaway Cylons that some have different types of bags. One has the same type as the Cylon Elf (more of a smooth plastic) where as a couple have a more crisp/crackly bag. Can you tell me anything about this or is it news to you?

DSTChuck: For small jobs like that we pretty much let the factory use whatever is available, but we do prefer the "smooth" if given a choice.

4, Non Minimate question, I went to preorder the Adama and Helo busts the other day from my LCS and was told both were cancelled?!?!?! What can you tell me about this and the future of BSG busts?

DSTChuck: I think the chances of more DST busts are pretty slim. The sales have just not been there.

5, In a couple years when the Caprica pilot comes out, is DST hoping to get the license to make products for it?

DSTChuck: We'd have to see what the show looks like and what the studios intentions are but of course we'll be keeping our eye on it.

Thanks for your time. If you keep on making BSG mates, I will keep on buying them.

DSTChuck: Sounds like a plan!

Odds (good/meh/lousy) on more classic Avengers characters?

DSTChuck: There have been LOTS of Avengers - even Spidey and Wolverine were Avengers so I'd say chances are good.

How does the Lizard grab you guys? Figured out how to do his tail yet?

DSTChuck: I'm more of a mammal guy but yea, we know "how" to do a tail. It's just a matter of cost-balancing one in a wave.

Thanks for answering questions!

DSTChuck: Thanks enough for caring enough to visit a board and asking.

Just got my BSG wave 4 and Star Trek Series 3 mates... another great job of character choice and likenesses. Keep 'em coming!

DSTChuck: Glad you like them! Like I said earlier, we're happy with how the cast rounded out in the first 4 waves..

1. I know you mentioned that the Fistful of Dollars/Few Dollars More series was driven by your personal interest in that license. How many of the themes are driven by personal interest?

DSTChuck: More then I'd care to admit.

2. Lara Croft minimates. What do you think? (Face it, Lara Croft is the perfect convergence of attributes for this type of market... hot women, dangerous weapons, short-shorts and huge boobs)

DSTChuck: We've looked at that franchise a few times before for product - we have nothing in the works right now though.

3. What does it look like for more Back to the Future after the 3rd movie box set? Has the license run its course or is there enough interest to keep going?

DSTChuck: We'll have to see. There are more characters we could do. Originally our goal was to get three movies covered, but we had in the back of our heads that we could expand if demand was there.

Thanks for taking time Chuck...

DSTChuck: We all have the same amount of time in a day and it's one of the few things we HAVE to keep for ourselves, but you're welcome!

Are there any other characters you can't do from the Star Trek universe besides the new movie?

DSTChuck: I know Harry Mudd is one and I think there are a couple more for the same type of reason.

Would it be a possibility in the future to get shuttlecrafts or bridge playsets?

DSTChuck: I don't see that happening - sorry.

How many minimates to yall keep in stockpile? You sent out several older mates for the Target giveaway, yet I was unable to get a Taskmaster/US Agent 2 pack that just came out when mine came with parts missing? Is there some quota for how many yall keep on hand?

DSTChuck: We keep a few of each around for a while or more if we hear there is more of a widespread problem.

1. When choosing packs, do you prefer to opt for sensible pairings that might include slightly less well-known and desired (War Machine and Spymaster) or less sensible pairings but with heavier hitters (Iron Man and Ghost Rider)?

DSTChuck: Each wave or pair of waves is a balance between characters with lots of tooling and characters that require little tooling (the same with tampo). We also have to factor in popularity, which might be a different weight if it's intended to go to more mass than specialty.

2. Now that you're getting so deep in the character pool, any chance of that "fan-choice" wave? I realize that's basically what 19 and 20 are, but I mean with voting and stuff

DSTChuck: We don't have any plans for a voting or poll or such to determine what figures make up a wave.

What is the new hulk movie wave? Also, any chance on seeing the Ghost Rider Movie Wave?

DSTChuck: Umm what is the Hulk movie?? You mean you want me to tell you about the plot?? I really can't do that... GR should be cancelled and dead due to low sales but I'm too stubborn to say it's over, so we'll see what I can come up with.

1- Is the decision to no longer sell to Europe a permanent one or would you consider rethinking it if there was enough of a response?

DSTChuck: If a UK distributor came along and wanted to place an order large enough to off-set the additional testing fees we'd be happy to sell to them.

2- Does the non-Euro policy apply to just minimates or all DST products?

DSTChuck: Just Minimates

3- Dr Who minimates - whats currently happening?, your answer in the previous Q&A was kinda confusing

DSTChuck: Hopefully the answer I gave to the fan further up the thread helps explain it better.

4- Any possibility of 6" (or minimate) versions of Klingon Captains Koloth & Kang, who could both simply re-use Kor's Body?

DSTChuck: Hmmm. Did we know Star Trek fans like Klingons?

Is Back to the Future done after the sets shown at Toyfair? I am hoping that we will get some more to kinda round out the cast a bit more...I see so much potential with this line so I am hoping so!

DSTChuck: Done for now, but as I said we're watching sales to see if we can expand on the line more.

1.back in Toy Fair 07 we saw an Apollo in suit. Was that just a prototype?

DSTChuck: Do you mean flight suit or legal suit? I can't recall but most of what we show at a show like that is a paint master.

2.With Indiana Jones and Star Wars licenses in your hands,could you possibly make Minimates of them?

DSTChuck: We do not have rights to Indy or SW Minimates.

3.Do you still have the G.I. Joe license? If so could you make Minimates of them?

DSTChuck: Yes we have a license to Joe, and no we do not have rights to MM

4.Do you still have the Army Of Darkness license? If you do could you make Minimates of them?

DSTChuck: No we do not have an AOD license. When we did have the license someone else was given mini figure rights.

5.will we ever see a hazomat Marty and Doc Brown?

DSTChuck: IF we do more BTTF MM that that's one we'd consider.

6.Why isn't Gamma Hulk glow-in-the-dark?

DSTChuck: He didn't stay in the light long enough??

Is there any chance you guys could please look at a box set of minimates from the TV show, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr? I think you could re-use many parts from the 'Dollars' mates and Bruce Campbell would probably sell well, no? As always, thanks for doing this!

DSTChuck: In general it's very difficult to make a single license work for just Minimates.

Hey Chuck! What's going on with the Radicals newsletter? Last update I saw was back in November....

DSTChuck: We still send them out- maybe there was a problem with your email - contact CS , they will be happy to look into it for you.

Hi Chuck & Matt...

Thanks for playing along as usual...

DSTChuck: Nothing is "usual" about you guys.

1) Is there a reason why Lorraine from BttF has underwear and pretty much any other minimate in a skirt doesn't or did it just turn out that way?

DSTChuck: I think the better question is why are you checking?

2) At ToyFair we saw that the Iron Man mini's might have detailing under the armor, is it likely we going to get undersuit(MKIII) and vest (MKI) Tony Stark? under the armor? ( please please please they looked so cool! )

DSTChuck: Correct. If you take off the armor pieces you will see Tony as he would appear before he put the top pieces on.

3) I've noticed you weren't at Wizard World LA this year, can you give us a likely idea of which Conventions you're likely to be at this year and by extension if you have plans for minimate exclusives?

DSTChuck: We'll be at NYCC, WW Philly, Chicago and SDCC and we'll have a surprise for you in SD.

4) If you could have one famous person come and work at DST then who would it be and why?

DSTChuck: Bruce Springsteen so I can get him to perform a solo acoustic show for me in my office and ask him what he was thinking about putting “Pony Boy” on an album. If not him then Spider-Man

Hello again =)

1) Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite Marvel Minimate released thus far?

DSTChuck: Spider-Man of course…Actually it changes with almost every release.

2) Again, out of curiosity, what is your least favorite Marvel Minimate released thus far?

DSTChuck: Comic Book Mary Jane.

3) Any chance you will be releasing another Nightcrawler anytime soon? I love the classic Nightcrawler we got, but he looks pretty darn cool in his Ultimate costume (navy and yellow) plus he's extremely expensive for new collectors to get a hold of!

DSTChuck: I don’t think we have any plan at this time.

4) Since the last Q&A, Vision 2.0 came out, and I just wanted to say thanks for doing him justice, he is absolutely Fantastic!!! Now I shall wait patiently for the rest of the Young Avengers =)

DSTChuck: That was all for you buddy!

Would you consider giving the 'Multiverse' website a small credit on your forthcoming packaging ? I believe this would be extremely advantageous to yourselves with regard to 'first-time' buyers who may be unaware of the diversity of the Minimate range, where else would they find out?

DSTChuck: Sorry we don't do stuff like that... There are lots of cool MM and toy sites out there.

If you are receptive to the idea perhaps you could utilize the redundant area on the packaging which was specific to sales in Europe!

DSTChuck: I'm sure the designers will find some way to fill that space.

(1) I know that Street Fighter is pretty much dead, but I was wondering if you would ever consider trying to regain the License to use with the release of Street Fighter 4 in 2009 (or 2010)?

DSTChuck: I thought we had a deal - no more SF questions - didn't we?

(2) What made you guys decide to acquire Licenses of Series like: Back to the Future ,Rocky, Desperately Seeking Susan, For A Few Dollars More, and a few others?

DSTChuck: Alcohol and sleep depravation.

(3)I know that DC minimates used parts from Marvel (Joker's repainted Punisher jacket for example), but can Marvel use parts that were made in DC's line?

DSTChuck: Even if we could, often times its easier to re-tool a small piece then do all the work required to re-use something.

(4)Will we see Nintendo minimates? Super Smash Bro. Brawl minimates would rule!

DSTChuck: No plans right now.

(5)How come Minimates aren't sold at Target or Toy R Us stores anymore?

DSTChuck: Sales to the mass market are an ever changing and difficult beast. An item like ours can be in for one cycle and out for another. I'd bet they get in there again, the folks at TRU really like them.

1) Were you shocked to learn that Georg Brewer & co. are ending the DC Minimates line after the 8th wave?

DSTChuck: It's really not something I was directly involved in, so I can't say.

2) What effect, if any, do you think that will have on the Minimates brand?

DSTChuck: I don't think any... It's great having all these licenses in one scale and we like that very much, so at least the big characters like Superman, Batman, etc.. are already out.

3) Has DST ever been in a position where ending the Marvel line of Minimates seemed inevitable?

DSTChuck: Well now, ev'rything dies, baby, that's a fact. But maybe ev'rything that dies someday comes back

4) In the last Q&A you mentioned that DST has "no plans right now to do MM based on (Invincible)." Is it too difficult to acquire the license because of Paramount's involvement or is Robert Kirkman a Shockini fan?

DSTChuck: I don't think its either but I never did ask him if he was a fan of Shockinis...

5) Will you guys find a way to include smaller versions of the posters that are created for cons with the actual Minimates? Barry's Spider-Man 3 poster was amazing!

Many thanks for all you do for us Mate Freaks.

DSTChuck: Some of those posters have already been done as POS and we’ve given extras away at shows.

Has any thought ever been given to Babylon 5 minimates? What I wouldn't give for a Londo/Vir two pack.

DSTChuck: I can honestly say we've never discussed B5 MM.

Hello,

Long time reader, first time questioner.

DSTChuck: First time asking me a question or first time questioning anything??

Is there any chance Commander Riker might come with a trombone accessory when he comes around in the Star Trek line?

DSTChuck: We did that with the action figure but I'm not sure if we'd do it for the MM.

I think it'd be fun to let the Multiverse premiere some of the Hulk Movie Minimates. Any chance?

DSTChuck: I'd doubt marketing would do something like that for a big movie like Hulk but part of a future wave of comic figures would be very possible.