UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate panel at NYCC

well there goes another batch of customs made obsolete

I woudn't say that at all. Your customs have a 3" scaled Hulk, along with super tiny Ant Man and Wasp. All of the figures in the boxed set would be the standard 2" sculpts, so just add them to your customs as relaxed "non-scaled" versions?

Ditto.

Anyway it's great to see some pics.

As other have said before,it seems like Ant-Man and Gaint-man are the same minimate which was a pretty good idea on DST's part.Kill two birds with one stone as they say.

Also I have a feeling that this will be a box set.

Though I wonder if Iron Man comes with a normal right hand,I hope so.

I'm looking forward to getting this set when it comes out. :D

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so excited about the new marvel mates and hero mates...plus with the recent cancellation of DC mates, I was pretty bummed, but this shot the excitement right back into me! I can't wait!

Heroes? Great show but I wonder how well more 'civilian' 'mates will do. The size of 'mates dictates that they need an uniform or costume to be instantly recognisable & therefore sell, I am not sure the 'Heroes' characters have that capability, I hope so.

Well, Claire does have that cheerleader uniform :) and they could do a Hiro-as-a-Samurai mate (I'm not that into Heroes but I'd love one of those), but otherwise it'll be pretty civvie-focused yeah... although you could say the same for the 24 line (and most of the BTTF one too), and they seem to be doing well...

Heroes? Great show but I wonder how well more 'civilian' 'mates will do. The size of 'mates dictates that they need an uniform or costume to be instantly recognisable & therefore sell, I am not sure the 'Heroes' characters have that capability, I hope so.

Well, Claire does have that cheerleader uniform :) and they could do a Hiro-as-a-Samurai mate (I'm not that into Heroes but I'd love one of those), but otherwise it'll be pretty civvie-focused yeah... although you could say the same for the 24 line (and most of the BTTF one too), and they seem to be doing well...

Hey,nobody want's any Minimate line to fail ,especially me. When I posted I was going to add ,as you have ,"except for Hiro & Claire" but decided that even they would perhaps struggle once out of the 'Heroes' packaging. Same goes for 'Lost',we'll get a 'Kingpin /Penguin' Hurley & distinctive Locke (no hair)& a 'Jack Bauer' Jack(unshaven) ...a tad predictable. Are 24 Minimates doing well?

The Street Fighter seires was full of cool colorful costumes and still failed (alothough there were other factors involved). So I really don't think anything is a safe bet with minimates. Heroes is so popular right now, even if they where civies, people will recognize them and know their unique powers and personalities, and hey, there are always the possibility of blast accecories for characters like Ted, Peter & Sylar to spice things up. I have confidence in the heroes franchise's sellability.

But speaking of cool looking unique figures, think of all the great Halo minimates we could of had of Spartans, Elites, Grunts, Jackals, and Brutes, if Microsoft wasn't so stupid. Kubricks aren't as good a brand as minimates as it is. But when you consider that it's two boxsets worth of 1 figure in different colors, it really pisses me off, that Microsoft wouldn't let Minimates have a shot at making the liscence glow.

Are 24 Minimates doing well?

I don't actually know... they do sell out faster than Marvel or DC at my comic shop but obviously that means nothing. The only "civvie" line I've been into was BTTF, so I'm right there with you that Minimate likenesses are much more appealing when attached to recognizable costumes like with Marvel Mates, but then like Avenger said, Heroes is ridiculously popular, so hopefully they'll do okay.

On a completely different note, I think it's really cool how DST is making some of its recent Mates so "transformable" -- from Havok's "double chest" to the "interior armor" Stark in the Civil War set, and now three different heads for Pym, basically making him two Mates in one!

Also I was happy to hear they at least went after the Star Wars liscense, although it's hard to see Lucas saying no to anything considering how many product lines those movies have produced...

Target is now selling Superhero Squad and feels their small PVC toy needs are met, though Diamond in actively pursing getting Minimates back in there.

Someone needs to choke Target to death with their own balls.

"Sorry, we aren't interested in carrying your style of figures any more,"

"Sorry, we can't carry you cause we picked up a line just like you,"

I'd really like to see minimates back at Target - Let's face it, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Target anymore. I'd really like mates to be more accessible than trying to hunt down an LCS that will order something other than superheroes and ST. That being said, the big trade is the release dates.... at least an LCS or specialty store will get these on a known date, instead of waiting for stock to work its way through the supply chain and show up weeks or months later.

I can see this from Target's perspective as well... the last wave of Marvel mates weren't exactly stellar sellers. I was picking up boxes for 2 or 3 weeks at 75% off... they couldn't get rid of them for a fraction of retail price. Minimates may be a little too specialized for the Target crowd. Sadly, given the way Target panders to the summer blockbuster merchandise, SM3, Hulk or Iron Man would probably do well... Defenders, Zombies and the last couple of DC and Marvel waves probably not so much.

As for the sales of 24 mates.... since Season 3 got put on ice, I think the question answers itself.

Heroes?? Sure, another civilian line is always welcome. Like 24, I don't watch the show, but civilian mates are more than welcome for customs, if nothing else.

Edited by captain_cbecker

I can see this from Target's perspective as well... the last wave of Marvel mates weren't exactly stellar sellers. I was picking up boxes for 2 or 3 weeks at 75% off... they couldn't get rid of them for a fraction of retail price. Minimates may be a little too specialized for the Target crowd.

I think that is the problem with major retailers. Minimates were, at one point or another, sold at Target, Wal Mart, and TRU. The fact that they aren't anymore (even if TRU seems to be expressing renewed interest), and have been clearanced out everywhere suggests that they didn't ultimately sell that well at those retailers, and this doesn't surprise me.

These do seem like niche collectibles to me. The SuperHero Squad works at major retailers b/c they are great for little kids--they are cheap and durable (or they look like they are). Minimates, frankly, would be pretty easy to break, and pieces would be easily lost if little kids were playing with them like kids do. Thus, moms might not buy a 2nd pack of Minimates for their 3 year old, whereas they might be more SuperHero Squad figs. Also, the Minimates have a certain charm that the average toy fan nowadays--the ones who think that more detail = better toys, and who want Marvel Legends or 25th GI Joe articulation on anything that they buy--may not appreciate.

I personally don't have a problem with Mates being sold exclusively online, at comic shops, and at Suncoast-type stores. If this weren't the case, DST might be forced to further pander to the broad crowd--this might mean no more obscure characters and more bland-ness generally, which would be a shame IMO. If they can make enough money to keep things going as is, that is enough for me.

Edited by karamazov80

I can see this from Target's perspective as well... the last wave of Marvel mates weren't exactly stellar sellers. I was picking up boxes for 2 or 3 weeks at 75% off... they couldn't get rid of them for a fraction of retail price. Minimates may be a little too specialized for the Target crowd.

I think that is the problem with major retailers. Minimates were, at one point or another, sold at Target, Wal Mart, and TRU. The fact that they aren't anymore (even if TRU seems to be expressing renewed interest), and have been clearanced out everywhere suggests that they didn't ultimately sell that well at those retailers, and this doesn't surprise me.

These do seem like niche collectibles to me. The SuperHero Squad works at major retailers b/c they are great for little kids--they are cheap and durable (or they look like they are). Minimates, frankly, would be pretty easy to break, and pieces would be easily lost if little kids were playing with them like kids do. Thus, moms might not buy a 2nd pack of Minimates for their 3 year old, whereas they might be more SuperHero Squad figs. Also, the Minimates have a certain charm that the average toy fan nowadays--the ones who think that more detail = better toys, and who want Marvel Legends or 25th GI Joe articulation on anything that they buy--may not appreciate.

I personally don't have a problem with Mates being sold exclusively online, at comic shops, and at Suncoast-type stores. If this weren't the case, DST might be forced to further pander to the broad crowd--this might mean no more obscure characters and more bland-ness generally, which would be a shame IMO. If they can make enough money to keep things going as is, that is enough for me.

I'm going to have to disagree on the bland part. SHS is getting Red Skull, Deadpool, and has had TONS of other characters that kids have never heard of. It's real simple.

If they look cool, kids want it.

If they don't, pack them with someone who does.

I'm going to have to disagree on the bland part. SHS is getting Red Skull, Deadpool, and has had TONS of other characters that kids have never heard of. It's real simple.

If they look cool, kids want it.

If they don't, pack them with someone who does.

You might be right, as I give it more thought. Marvel Legends certainly releases some wacky, obscure characters, as does the JLU line, and they both seem to thrive to some extent. . .so, what do I know?

As for the sales of 24 mates.... since Season 3 got put on ice, I think the question answers itself.

Ah, didn't know about that. I guess I wasn't the only one not buying them then... Hopefully the Heroes line will go better for DST since the show is clearly catered towards comic book fans, costumes or no, and until/unless TRU gets back on the Minimate bandwagon, comic shops are still their major marketplace.

Chuck is in trouble if anyone sees SHS is getting Deadpool, Black Bolt and Red Skull (they've already gotten Gambit) before we do in the minimate line....

IMG_7568.jpg

:D

who's the figure below symbiotic spidey in the black and grey?

It's the Punisher's post Civil War Capain America costume.

Chuck is in trouble if anyone sees SHS is getting Deadpool, Black Bolt and Red Skull (they've already gotten Gambit) before we do in the minimate line....

Like I said, they seem to get everyone. :D

Like I said, they seem to get everyone. :D

I just can't get into these, but that' really cool how diverse that line is becoming.

I'm fine with Minimates being a specialty item aswell. While Minimates might be able to sell as is in retail, and SHS can pull off obscure characters, DST has an awful track record with the minimates released at retail. They tend to be already released, they are always mainstream characters, and the QC on the Target Nightcrawler is nefarious. If they go back to the big chains, I worry about lower quality in order to meet mass production numbers, and alot of rereleases that will take away from the resources of the main specialty store driven line.

These do seem like niche collectibles to me. The SuperHero Squad works at major retailers b/c they are great for little kids--they are cheap and durable (or they look like they are). Minimates, frankly, would be pretty easy to break, and pieces would be easily lost if little kids were playing with them like kids do. Thus, moms might not buy a 2nd pack of Minimates for their 3 year old, whereas they might be more SuperHero Squad figs.

My son is 5 and we've gotten the SW Galactic Heroes for him for that very reason.... durable (virtually indestructable unless your kid has access to a band saw or a lighter), no small accessories and cool vehicles. Like the Superheroes, the Galactic heroes are neat characters with good play potential (lots of vehicles) Very marketable. On the other hand, my wife got him a clearance darktide set about a month ago because he always wants to get into my Minimate collection... Magneto's foot disappeared within an hour. The hairpieces, hands and helmets are always coming off... not too kid friendly.

It's not all about the characters... a large selection of characters, even obscure ones, guarantees that parents will keep buying for their kids, so long as they have something fresh to buy... there's only so many versions of Spiderman, Wolverine and the Hulk (or Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Darth Vader for that matter) that parents will be willing to buy before they say... "hey you've got like 10 Spidermen guys, do you really need one with his mask torn off?" and stop buying. That's why Marvel and Star Wars are ideal lines for these toys... lots and lots of characters.... obscure perhaps, but different.

I notice the distinct lack of any information at all on GI Joe

Man, that is a good call. I'm hoping that the Platoon set is going to test the waters for that market. If it does well, then hopefully we'll see some GI Joe-mates in the near future. Meaning, everyone buy the Platoon set when it comes out! I mean, who doesn't want a Willem Dafoe minimate anyway?

Ummmm, in the last Q&A it was very straight forward that Joe mates cannot and will not be made.

To quote:

3.Do you still have the G.I. Joe license? If so could you make Minimates of them?

DSTChuck: Yes we have a license to Joe, and no we do not have rights to MM

Edited by pickle

Ummmm, in the last Q&A it was very straight forward that Joe mates cannot and will not be made.

To quote:

3.Do you still have the G.I. Joe license? If so could you make Minimates of them?

DSTChuck: Yes we have a license to Joe, and no we do not have rights to MM

Q&A #5

"Hasbro announced that they will be expanding their marketing beyond Hasbro itself for the GI Joe Movie. Are there any plans to try and pursue GI Joe Minimates in 2009?

DSTChuck: We meet with Hasbro frequently and this topic comes up every time. We're ready when they are."

Yes, they don't have the right to do Minimates currently. But I know several people have talked about it and DST said they're trying to get the rights, so, ya know, here's hoping.

My point was they mentioned SW and IJ, but no GI Joe. That's a good sign IMHO

So the weekend is over, and we heard the probability for Heroes Minimates, and the confirmation that Marvel is the core for this line....(a couple of movie liscences, but nothing solid)

Does that mean the movie mates are now done (after what has been shown), and they are going to focus on Marvel exclusively?

Iron Cow confirmed that the Kirby avengers are a box set. So is this a stand alone box set or an SDCC exclusive they mentioned?

Knowing that TRU may start carrying minimates again next year, does that mean that we will then get the a spiderman and wolverine in every case assortment, to appeal to the 7 year olds?

I am excited to see what other surprises are out there, and disappointed they still did not show the hulk minimates, that does not give me a warm fuzzy.

moc847