UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate panel at NYCC

New Minimates Panel!

Already heading to New York for the third annual New York Comic Con? Next Friday, join Diamond Select Toys’ Director Chuck Terceira, Project Manager Robert Yee and Graphic Designer Uriel for a glimpse of what’s to come for the number one block figures in the world! Ask your questions, make your requests and get a sneak peek at future Minimate designs in the process! This all-star panel will be held on Friday, April 18th at 7:00pm in room 1E03 during this yearís New York Comic Con. Hope to see you all there!

via the DST myspace page....so who from here is gonna be there to report from it/??

Jeff of the Miniacs

Edited by Reideen1313

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with this coming up here do we have anyone on board who can go to this panel this year and fill the rest of us in? I know last year it was at this panel that the first artwork for the Dr Strange mate was revealed....I am excited to find out what they will show this year!

Jeff of the Miniacs

So with this coming up here do we have anyone on board who can go to this panel this year and fill the rest of us in? I know last year it was at this panel that the first artwork for the Dr Strange mate was revealed....I am excited to find out what they will show this year!

Jeff of the Miniacs

I hope somebody can make it, I remember last year it felt like no one had information for the longest time

Unfortunately, I'll be there a day late, i have a birthday i need to go to on Friday, so I'll only be at the Con on Saturday. not to worry though, I'm trying to send an intern from work to check it out for me and give me a report, although if a board member can make it on Friday, it would probably be a better report.

Also, do we can a number of how many members will be at the Con this weekend?

Don't know about you guys, but I'm getting pretty darn excited to see what's revealed this weekend. DST's hyping their Friday Minimates panel on several toy sites and in the latest e-spectrum, and saying "sneak peek" a lot – hopefully there's going to be a big reveal (c'mon marvel wave 24...).

If you're going to the con, do your Multiverse brothers and sisters a favor and take pictures! :)

... or maybe the Big Sneak Peak is going to be letting us finally see the stinking Incredible Hulk movie mates. I just have a feeling that it is going to be that, but i'm hoping for more. Maybe there going to announce a marvel legends type thing with the build a figure sets. LOL. that would be cool but would probably get annoying for most people who don't buy full sets. they would make the great figures the build-a-figures and then would most likely help out all of minimates because people would buy that one set they were debating on just to get a piece. LOL.

I'm going, but on Sat and Sun... When I found out this was gonna be on Fri, I could have cried!

(BTW, long time no post for me, huh?) :spiderham:

Damn, that's two back! Where are you Totalus?

I'm not going, but REMEMBER YOUR CAMERAS PEOPLE!

First news: sounds like FA Avengers

Coming up are Jack Kirby Hulk, classic Avengers Wasp, Ant-Man and Giant-Man and Gold Iron Man with hammer arm accessory.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones have been persued as licenses, but it's unlikely George Lucas will grant it due to his prior relationship with Lego, which has a similar style of figure.

Diamond has approached Microsoft about making Halo Minimates, but Microsoft already has a contract with Kubriks in Japan and were concerned about the similarities in the product, so they declined.

There are some more movie properties Diamond is looking at for new releases, but their core is Marvel characters.

While Diamond recognizes there is a large following for Minimates, children, adult collectors and customizers, when selling products to a retailer like TRU, they push the line as being aimed for 7 year old boys.

Minimates is the longest running specialty toy line with 23 waves so far.

Target is now selling Superhero Squad and feels their small PVC toy needs are met, though Diamond in actively pursing getting Minimates back in there.

TRU will most likely be carrying the line next year.

There will be some box set exclusives for the SDCC, though what they will be won't be revealed today.

Any short packed figures will not be re-issued. Those are intended to be collector's items, so Diamond does not want to devalue them for their collector market.

Diamond refuses to deny the possiblity that Stilt-Man may be coming up.

Though the same designers do both the Marvel and DC mini figures, legally Diamond is not allowed to mix the tooling, which means they can't just slap Hawkman's wings on a figure and call it Angel.

Diamond doesn't have rights to do Marvel vehicles, so there won't be a Fantasti-Car, Quinjet or even a Goblin glider.

Playsets are too expensive to warrant production unless there's a chance for a large volume of sales.

Gold Spider-Man is the most valuable collectable so far. It usually goes for a couple of hundred on E-bay. There were only 50 made. 15 went to Marvel.

A line of Heroes is more likely than not. Though there isn't an official announcement, it looks like Heroes Minimates are coming.

Marvel has put a moritorium on any further Marvel Zombie merchandise of any kind. Marvel was concerned about the negative image seeing their major characters would have on the public so they pulled the plug on any further Zombie products.

Edited by Reideen1313
updated with news. thanks tni

First news: sounds like FA Avengers

Uh, HELL YEAH! Some of those Avengers are the most essential, unreleased Minimates, IMO. Don't really care about the Heroes, though. If they come to pass. . .then I will pass.

--edit: Not Minimate related, but, why?

http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mod...00&start=20

Just. . .what are they thinking? Have any of you been to a TRU in the last year and saw all those stupid, silver Wolverines?

On the other hand, some of their choices for ML characters could make GREAT Minimates.

Edited by karamazov80