UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Secret Invasion

neolego

I like your theory... but, does anyone remember if the Skrull that tried to replace Echo use multiple powers? For some reason I think it did but I may be wrong. (I'm at work and don't have my comics with me for cross reference :( But I agree Neo, the Spy-Skrulls maybe just go through the ceremony and not the super power enhancement programĀ© simply because they don't need to if that's the case.

yeah, that skrull used a TON of powers. yellowjackets replacement's fist turned into rock to bet down pym, so who knows...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why they can imitate the Sentry's power but not replace him, since taking on his personality makes for one unstable Super Skrull. Same for why they have powers for Wolverine, etc when they don't have the real thing in possession.

That's a good point about why they didn't just replace Sentry, hadn't really thought about it beyond him being too difficult to capture quietly... would also explain how Black Widow was able

to take out a supposedly Phoenix-powered Jean Skrull with a couple of bullets. Phoenix was nuts, so they wouldn't want to take on that personality on either.

Anyway, from the points made in the last few posts, this looks more convoluted than I thought... plus when you throw in the possibility of tie-in writers misinterpreting Bendis' take on it, I guess I'll just wait and see how he explains it all...

I like your theory... but, does anyone remember if the Skrull that tried to replace Echo use multiple powers? For some reason I think it did but I may be wrong. (I'm at work and don't have my comics with me for cross reference :( But I agree Neo, the Spy-Skrulls maybe just go through the ceremony and not the super power enhancement programĀ© simply because they don't need to if that's the case.

yeah, that skrull used a TON of powers. yellowjackets replacement's fist turned into rock to bet down pym, so who knows...

True, but that was also BEFORE the cerimony to become Yellowjacket! neo

So according to New Avengers it is pretty confirmed that everyone on the ship is a Skrull!! So it it may seem that they were on their way to replace major players but accidentally crash landed in the Savage Land. But the best thing about this is issue is when they Tranq Skrull Capt. America and he is foaming at the mouth turning all green still trying to convince everyone he is not a Skrull, bad ass!!!

So according to New Avengers it is pretty confirmed that everyone on the ship is a Skrull!! So it it may seem that they were on their way to replace major players but accidentally crash landed in the Savage Land. But the best thing about this is issue is when they Tranq Skrull Capt. America and he is foaming at the mouth turning all green still trying to convince everyone he is not a Skrull, bad ass!!!

No, the "heroes" on that ship were not meant to replace anyone. They were Skrulls who had their own personality completely overwritten and not just suppressed. Skrull Cap really thought he was Cap. They've been given actual memories of the person they are meant to be, only rewritten to fit into the "captured prisoner on a Skrull world". As for whether or not they are all Skrulls or if any are legit remains to be seen. The reason these Skrulls exist is to sow that much more chaos. Shooting the ship into the Savage Land pulls all your big guns away from the main invasion areas and having a small army of "heroes" pop out just makes it harder to know who is real and who is not, especially when these "heroes" have no tells that make them obviously Skrull.

No, the "heroes" on that ship were not meant to replace anyone. They were Skrulls who had their own personality completely overwritten and not just suppressed. Skrull Cap really thought he was Cap. They've been given actual memories of the person they are meant to be, only rewritten to fit into the "captured prisoner on a Skrull world". As for whether or not they are all Skrulls or if any are legit remains to be seen. The reason these Skrulls exist is to sow that much more chaos. Shooting the ship into the Savage Land pulls all your big guns away from the main invasion areas and having a small army of "heroes" pop out just makes it harder to know who is real and who is not, especially when these "heroes" have no tells that make them obviously Skrull.

Aaaah, I see! So they are trying to make it seem like they have been missing for months possibly years and are trying to imply that the people around them have been Skrulls all along leaving it open for the possibility that some of them may in fact be human. for example "Hey Luke Cage you may or may not have gotten Jessica Jones pregnant, you may or may not have knocked up and married a Skrull" :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
As for whether or not they are all Skrulls or if any are legit remains to be seen.

Nothing much to report from the Secret Invasion tie-ins this week. However #5 confirms they all were. And most of them just got dealt with ...and Clint is PISSED!! Favorite highlights from this issue are when they begin the broadcast and all our "celebrities" are talking "blah, blah he loves you." It was interesting and quite humorous to see who they picked for this two page spread, but leaves me with the question, are they actually Skrulls, OR did they just assume that shape for the broadcast to make humans feel more comfortable? Hmmm..... And if they actually are I kinda would have suspected Oprah,Paris, and Ossama. But Steve Colbert, the Pope, and Chris Rock? No way!! Did anybody else recognize who some of the other people in there are?

I could make out:

Obama

McCain

Cruise

Namor

Kim Jong Il

Cartman

Homer

Magneto

Aaanold

Stark

Tiger

Doom

Can't make out who the others are supposed to be....

Edited by Fo Shizzle

As for whether or not they are all Skrulls or if any are legit remains to be seen.

Nothing much to report from the Secret Invasion tie-ins this week. However #5 confirms they all were. And most of them just got dealt with ...and Clint is PISSED!! Favorite highlights from this issue are when they begin the broadcast and all our "celebrities" are talking "blah, blah he loves you." It was interesting and quite humorous to see who they picked for this two page spread, but leaves me with the question, are they actually Skrulls, OR did they just assume that shape for the broadcast to make humans feel more comfortable? Hmmm..... And if they actually are I kinda would have suspected Oprah,Paris, and Ossama. But Steve Colbert, the Pope, and Chris Rock? No way!! Did anybody else recognize who some of the other people in there are?

I could make out:

Obama

McCain

Cruise

Namor

Kim Jong Il

Cartman

Homer

Magneto

Aaanold

Stark

Tiger

Doom

Can't make out who the others are supposed to be....

And in that same shot, did you happen to see who is running for president? It's been all over the place in many Marvel comics. Look beneath Tony's face and see a billboard and laugh your ass off.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we are 6 issues in, anyone wanna comment?

I do have to say, even if the whole story turns out to be crap, the Cover of issue 6 was worth it. Cap, Thor, and Iron Man back together is almost breathtaking. And to be honest, I prefer these three to the previous three. Bucky, The New Thor, and Post-Civil War SHIELD Director Iron Man. I love it!

As for the issue itself, I'm wasn't too impressed. In fact, I haven't been that impressed with the Main Title at all. There is just so much going on and the pacing is very off a lot of times. However, what makes this story great is New and Mighty Avengers. You get the meat of the story there and then you can enjoy the fast paced action of the main title. However, I really couldn't imagine following this story without the Avengers books.

So, here we go with Issue 6

What I like is the normal people. I like how the skrulls are coming to "join" the human race. I love the protestors that are actually routing for the Skrulls. It's a great dynamic that I'm actually more interested in than the Heroes!

What I also like is Spider-Woman and Pym. I especially love their dialogue this issue.

What I don't like is Nick Fury and his Lackies. Let me back up and say that I LOVED the story in the Avengers book (can't remember if it was New or Mighty). In fact, thats the only reason I can tolorate them being in S.I. There is no depth to them at all and it's killing me. I know the books is not about them, but for them to be playing such a huge part of the resistance I wish I knew more about their background and such.

Finally I must say that I love the new Cap and Thor. I thought them meeting at the end of six was forced and completely non-dramatic. However, you can't help but grin wildly when you hear Tony shout "Avengers Assemble". Next issues looks again to be all about the fight, but with the main heroes back in the mix it should at least be interesting.

My final thought revolves around Wasp. If you followed the converstaions between the Skrull Queen and Pym, they mentioned Wasp as a last resort. What does that mean?!? She has to play a part because from that moment on she was in a lot of the Heroes Panels so Bendis is making it obvious. Making her a Skrull doesn't make sense though since Reed has a tool to detect them..........unless Reed too is a Skrull. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Can't wait until next month!

neo

Edited by neolego

neo, I just wanted to comment on a couple things you mentioned. One, I agree that it is an awesome cover to issue 6, though I wish they showed more of an interaction between those three.

Two, I can't remember the issue number, but I remember reading that sometime soon, either Mighty or New Avengers (probably Mighty), was going to be following Fury's group more Pre-SI. I think it mentioned team training or something, which could be really cool. Hopefully this also gives us more of a background on these characters.

Finally, *spoiler* regarding the conversation between Pym and Spider-Woman, this is my guess as to what will happen. In Mighty Avengers, pre-invasion, they showed "Hank" giving the Wasp that new formula that let her also grow instead of just shrink. If I remember correctly, they actually showed that more than once, in at least two different issues. I'm guessing that this was more than just an "enhanced" version of her old powers. Maybe some kinda of Nitro-esque explosion in the future? *end spoiler*

I know I'm going to get a lot of crap about this comment, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the Wasp. Yes, I know she was a founding Avenger, and yes, I'm sure she has some redeeming qualities, but I just don't like her. It seems like she's always screwing with Hank (although I suppose wife-beating would warrant some of that). I guess she just reminds me a little too much of an ex of mine. That being said, I wouldn't mind at all if the Wasp died in some fiery explosion.

• 2 months later...

So yeah I just read the last two issues and am very underwhelmed...

Wasp is dead but dies in way that looked ugly and made no sense on the page, she's there/she's dead not even a great death. ( I suppose it's comic books so she will be back)

The whole Norman Osborn thing... sorry not buying that people, who would be stupid enough to put him in charge.

And doesn't this dark reign stuff smack of civil war part two? people doing what they should "for the goverment" and the rest fighting against it? Tony Stark on the run... Brilliant original idea... except didn't batman do that a few yrs back & Wasn't the previous shield leader on the run and hiding out and just got back?

Who is going to bet against IM back as a full on good guy in time for the next movie? ( The only that's exciting here to me is the possibility of new armor when he returns ;)

Does any one wish they'd just let things settle some in the marvel U and let us see how 5 years of war and invasion have affected people?

T.

I was also disappointed with the last issue. It felt anti-climatic and rushed. It just leads into another big event which looks horribly boring to me. I don't like Bendis's writing in this issue. I think he is much better at smaller, character-driven stories than these large events.

I was also disappointed with the last issue. It felt anti-climatic and rushed. It just leads into another big event which looks horribly boring to me. I don't like Bendis's writing in this issue. I think he is much better at smaller, character-driven stories than these large events.

That seems to be Marvel's formula lately - a big event that rushes into the next big event. It's like a roller coaster that never stops.

Too bad I got sick of roller coasters a while ago.

Edited by boyd

That seems to be Marvel's formula lately - a big event that rushes into the next big event. It's like a roller coaster that never stops.

Too bad I got sick of roller coasters a while ago.

Agreed,

If I were in charge I'd scale back on big events for a while and have smaller team based stuff that gives the universe ( and readers) a chance to catch it's breath, Build some characterisation and stop making everyone into a cardboard cutout.

If you read the last issue as an example and look at each hero's contribution we get: Spidey makes a wisecrack (but not actually funny), Wolverine leaps and stabs someone with his claws, Thor spouts gibberish and poses a lot... come on marvel you can do better than that! Lets face it characterization sucks in big events but this was rubbish! Heck Secret Wars made people seem less cardboardy and that was one nonstop punchup!

T.

Agreed,

If I were in charge I'd scale back on big events for a while and have smaller team based stuff that gives the universe ( and readers) a chance to catch it's breath, Build some characterisation and stop making everyone into a cardboard cutout.

If you read the last issue as an example and look at each hero's contribution we get: Spidey makes a wisecrack (but not actually funny), Wolverine leaps and stabs someone with his claws, Thor spouts gibberish and poses a lot... come on marvel you can do better than that! Lets face it characterization sucks in big events but this was rubbish! Heck Secret Wars made people seem less cardboardy and that was one nonstop punchup!

T.

Oh yes.

(putting on "old comic reader" ranting hat) I remember when the Marvel Universe was made up of lots of individual titles, each doing their own thing with their own style. Don't like Byrne's Fantastic Four? Then try something different, like Simonson's Thor.

Now the Marvel Universe really is one universe - all the titles seem to connect and have to reflect the current status quo of the "big event". So instead of seeing one character's story, we have to see how the character will react to an alien invasion that's not explained unless you read multiple titles. I want actual characterization, not cheap character reaction.

I also want stories that have a beginning, middle and end, but that's not going to happen either, I'm afraid. (ranting hat off)

Agreed,

T.

Oh yes.

(putting on "old comic reader" ranting hat) I remember when the Marvel Universe was made up of lots of individual titles, each doing their own thing with their own style. Don't like Byrne's Fantastic Four? Then try something different, like Simonson's Thor.

Now the Marvel Universe really is one universe - all the titles seem to connect and have to reflect the current status quo of the "big event". So instead of seeing one character's story, we have to see how the character will react to an alien invasion that's not explained unless you read multiple titles. I want actual characterization, not cheap character reaction.

I also want stories that have a beginning, middle and end, but that's not going to happen either, I'm afraid. (ranting hat off)

absolutley! i recently had to cancel my subsriptions just before the end of the invasion (all the tie-ins were costing a bomb) i was getting really tired of big events it seemed the only comic i collected that was safe was ghost rider and daredevil ,spidey comics became like watered down avengers comics ,dont get me wrong tho i enjoyed civil war until what could have been one of the biggest moments in comics (peter taking of his mask) wascocked right up by one more day & brand new day :angry:

Edited by gledzee

Wow.............what a HUGE let down. I was SO turned off by #6 I didn't even pick up #7 until today. But, I followed the first 6, I wanted to finish. So, I picked up #7 and #8 today, because really.....it's couldn't get any worse.......right...............right...........hello!?!?

*****I would like to warn you of Spoilers, but instead I'm going to tell you to read my post so you can save your money!*****

IT WAS WORSE. For the love of pete, this is probably the worse crossover even that I can remember (and I read all of Heroes Reborn!). There was no drama in the final two issues at all. The Jungle Fever Baby? Don't care! Heroes Return? So What. Janet Dies? *yawn*. Honestly, I found most of this story to be laughable. I don't even know where to begin to properly trash this book.

Let's start with the HUGE factors that didn't make a flippin difference. Like Spideys almost painful line, "at least The Watcher isn't Here". Seriously, you are in the middle of fighting to save the lives of everyone on earth and all you can think about is the Watcher.....but wait, THERE HE IS. He shows up, out of nowhere in the middle of this POS. In fact, I'm thinking he wanted to drop by because he's never in his lifetime witnessed a more useless story! Oh wait, it gets better, let's back up a little. Revived Thor meet Bucky, Gun Toting Captain America, It's time to bring the Avengers back. Those.....two lines of dialogue......were awesome. There was no humanity, no emotion, no nothing. Just "Hey, what's up, let's fight". Painful! But, things finally turned around with Captain Marvel showed up. Remember when he finally showed up. Flying like a big fireball in smashing right in the thick of things. Then, looking at the reader with that awesome face saying "It's Time to Fight"......and then not showing up again the rest of the series. What did that prove?!?! Bendis has this fasination with super strong characters (Sentry, Captain Marvel, Thor) and using them to do absolutly NOTHING! Then there is The Wasps Death....Give me a break. Even now, as I think about it, I would have been more said if Jarvis woulda bit the big one. I don't care about Janet Pym, does anyone.........anyone..................anyone..............Buller..............T

hat's what I thought! Kill Nick Fury or Bullseye or Ares or Ms. Marvel or Jessica Jones or Luke Cage or anyone that is worth page time and you have my attention, you kill the Wasp and you make me yawn. HOWEVER, my favorite "WTF" moment was when Tony left the battle. Come on, This is on Tony! Tony showed his true colors in Civil War and led the Marvel U into a very bad place. A lot of this crap is his fault. I love Tony, my favorite character and after everything this series set up you would think that Tony would finally find, not all, but some of his redemption here. But he doesn't, he leaves for the most "dramatic" part (Janet Dying) and then returns in time to find the real heroes. Please tell me this is just a very, very late April Fools joke !?!?

I can't end without mentioning Osborn and Dark Reign. Let me first say, I like the Idea of Bad Guys in High Places. The idea that Norman is going to be the big man on campus while destroying everything from the shadows is great. I've always loved Norman Osborn and I honestly find him much more interesting than the Goblin himself. HOWEVER, what person in their right mind would put him in charge ?!?!?! Seriously, are we supposed to swallow that? That'd be like seeing Ted Bundy shoot Osama Bin Ladin in the face and then our president saying, "You know what, I believe Ted Bendy would make a good Secretary of Defense!" I know our current president isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but even he isn't that dumb. I find it MORE BELIEVABLE that a huge viking could truly be the God of Thunder than I do a president giving over that much power to a mad man. It makes my brain hurt just thinking about it.

So, I'm sure by now you guys can see how much I loved this story. I didn't even have time to mention the bull crap Fantastic Four's part in this mess and where the Crap the X-Men have been and why in the world the Skulls would want a human baby and, well, I really could go on...

As far as Dark Reign goes, I'll bide my time. I'm not sure it can get much better.....I only know it can't get much worse! neo

Edited by neolego

I just finshed issue 8 and wow, I realized that I actually spent money on this piece of crap series.

My thoughts of the issue:

Wasp's death was stupid, hard to follow, and so quick that it didn't even phase me that she died. I

USED to be a fan of this character, but after all the shit they've pulled with her, I'm glad she's dead. Infact, I hope she stays that way.

Iron man. I came into this series hoping they would fix this character, but I can see now that they don't care. He's no better now than he was at the end of Civil War, so I don't get the purpose of any of this story for him. There were SO many chances to redeem him, yet they missed every one. And while I liked what Thor said to him at the end, it was pretty much lifted from Thor's own book.

Finally, Finding the heroes on the ship. While I was glad to see some of them(Mockingbird in particular), this bit came into play to quickly and seemed rushed. The bit with Bobbi and Clint was nice, but after what they did with Clint at the end of issue 5(shooting the skrull who thought she was his wife in the face without even a second thought), I don't really like him all that much anymore. The rest was kinda blah. Nothing really grabbed me, other than the fact that I'm glad the asshole Hank Pym we've had for the last year or so wasn't really him.

Those are my thoughts on this issue, and don't get me started on the whole series.

Agreed,

T.

Oh yes.

(Puts on Ultimate Reader's ranting hat) THAT is exactly why I like the Ultimate Universe.

For the most part, the stories are self-contained. OK, sure, Spider-Man dates an X-Man and then has some adventures with them. The FF show up to help Spidey with the clones. The Ultimates and the X-Men fight. Magneto is contained in the Triskellion. There are cross-overs, but they all MAKE SENSE. If you're going to put the most powerful superterrorist in the world somewhere, where would you put him? In the place with the most powerful superheroes. The crossover events? Well, until Ultimatum most had little to do with the Universe overall. The biggest, until now, was Ultimate Power which got rid of Nick Fury for us. Galactus was overall contained. And when other characters appear in each others' books, you can understand why; Ultimates gotta take on the Brotherhood? Bring in Wolverine. Simple.

The stories DO have a beginning, middle, and an end, though they mostly go in arcs with a "rest" issue in between. It may take half a year to tell one story, IE Spider-Man origin went six issues, but at least it had some sort of conclusion and then it went on to Kingpin battle 1.

As for interbook crossovers, if it's done well or there seems to be a reason for him or her to show up, then I'm fine with it. For example, the battle between Iron Man and Thor in Thor's new book makes sense because Iron Man is everywhere and Thor REALLY needed to deal with the whole clone thing. Now Thor vs Rulk in Hulk did NOT make sense. Why the HELL did Thor decide to show up. I don't remember if there ever was a reason, but still it seemed to be more for a "Holy Shit! It's Thor! Man, Rulk's in for it now." factor than for anything else. That one DID NOT make sense and I was not a fan of it.

And no matter how much I like the Thunderbolts, there is no reason they should appear everywhere like they have been doing. I like them more as an episodic character-hunter thing like they were kinda designed to be and like they were just after Civil War.

I think I'm going to drop 616 and go all Ultimate and buy every Ultimate thing that comes out or has come out. Own the entire universe. 616 is dead to me now.

(rant hat off)

While the story itself was rather week, I did quite enjoy Yu's artwork. Now after reading secret invasion 7 again I noticed an error: Iron Fist does know who Uatu The Watcher is!

Spiderman mentions the invasion isn't that bad because the watcher hasn't showed up. Danny Rand asks Who?

In Civil War 1 Iron fist is posing as DareDevil and is present at the meeting most of the Superheroes are at to discuss the Stamford incident. blah blah blah The Watcher shows up . Iron Fist present at the meeting would mean that he DOES know who Uatu is...Maybe just a minor detail, but to me it makes Iron Fist look stupid...which does not sit well with me. And it seems lazy.

Did anyone else notice this?

Edited by ZArox