TBT!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

What is going on with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKE-DESIGN-GENERATION...=item4aa554d0a4

What do most of these characters have to do with Nike? The basketball player with afro makes sense. But samurai? Guy with deformed head, large teeth and jump rope standing on a strip of asphalt? Whatever the hell the guy on the far right is supposed to be?

I would actually like to own the afro guy, though.

Edited by karamazov80

There are some truly strange Kubricks out there, but I imagine it boils down to cultural differences. As much as us westerners would like to think these are made for us, Kubricks seem predominantly fashioned for Asian tastes and culture.

I figured that, as well, but then noticed that these were created by Nike designers. I assumed Nike's central creative team was based out of the U.S., but maybe they used the Japanese office for those.

Well, I don't claim to know much about Nike, but most global corporate entities do tend to have marketing teams that cater to certain areas of cultural difference. Years ago I worked for such an entity and the marketing teams were very different. It was like apples and oranges, if you will.

I always wonder what the Chinese are thinking when they pass down the assembly line, some of the wacky stuff us Westerners enjoy.

I always wonder what the Chinese are thinking when they pass down the assembly line, some of the wacky stuff us Westerners enjoy.

Good point. "Why do they insist on buying traditional-looking characters over 400% Be@rbricks and statues of scantily-clad pre-teen anime characters in suggestive poses? Stupid westerners."

--edit: this comes off as a bit condescending, and I apologize to any offended fans of Japanese stuff, but really--western collectors tend to buy more traditional looking things, and the Asian market seems much more "out there," and I do suspect that they don't understand the interest many of "us" have in more boring, traditional-looking fare such as humans with realistic proportions doing fairly mundane looking things while wearing outfits in muted colors, etc. They probably get bored with that stuff pretty quickly.--

Edited by karamazov80

I'd go as far as to say that some Japanese toy stuff is just plain sick & if it were in my collection I'd most likely get arrested . Toys depicting pre-pubescent girls with wings & tails for example might be OK for their target audience but 'sad' is the only way to describe some of it. I would think that 50% of my kubrick collection consists of characters that I had absolutely no idea who they were or who they represented until I investigated & researched them on the internet, it is incredible that there is so little that can be found out about them. I have both A & B Nike sets & one of the 2 Soccer sets & although I know the players they look sod-all like the kubricks ;)

• 3 months later...
I figured that, as well, but then noticed that these were created by Nike designers. I assumed Nike's central creative team was based out of the U.S., but maybe they used the Japanese office for those.

:ohmy:

Let's just say that Nike is full of sick people ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So....The Toy Story guys arrived today & Harry Potter & the gang are imminent. I'm quite stoked about the Potters despite the fact that the movies aren't my bag . I'm not sure what I think about the Toy Story 3 kubricks yet as they only arrived this morning but there is no doubting that they are cute. The secret Buzz is so subtly different you need a magnifying glass to figure it out initially.

Edited by buttheadsmate

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Diamond Comics are currently distributing kubricks in the US although most of them are re-issued versions of previously Japan -only kubricks.

Urban Outfitters in the US surprisingly sold Lost kubricks & (if I recall correctly) MGS . Kubrick licenses are generally issued for Japanese distribution only,most everything that hits foreign shores is secondary market.

thanks for the info, will check out urban outfitters next time around. Hope UO don't overprice kubricks like most of their other stuff.

Forgive me,I should have said that this was months ago & I doubt you'll have any luck now . If you struggle to get the MGS let me know & I'll try & help,kubricks aren't the most loved around here (bit like me :sad: ) but some of the MGS kubricks are amongst the best minifigures you'll find.

I've not seen Kubricks in an Urban Outfitters store in a year and a half or so, but you never know. EBay's probably your best bet for the MGS figures. And they're not as expensive as they used to be. . .

I haven't started looking/buying them yet, but I'm in no hurry. Also, this is driving me crazy but I saw DC 75th edition on sale last night on some site for $69.99...and I can't find the link. Although, Amazon currently sells em for $78.xx with free shipping through prime. None of the Batman characters looks too appealing though (well at least not at $80).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
When did this happen? From another thread, bold emphasis is mine:

It almost feels like Cosbabies were intended to rival Medicom's Kubrick line, and HT is very reactionary in this way (they clearly have taken up licenses and even types of figures based on an attempt to combat innovations by Enterbay). Now that the Kubricks are dead, I wonder if HT has even less incentive to keep producing Cosbabies, or if so, at a quality level that any discerning customers will want to pay for.

Edited by Cappy

Yeah, if you look at the Medicom website that lists all recent and forthcoming releases. Nothing in the pipeline. There were a couple of re-packaged Star Wars figures last year, but nothing else of note since the last Star Wars DX set that I've seen.