UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My custom thread. The reveal is on Pg. 2

Well I was walking around Toys R Us and the answer to my custom Indiana Jones hat problem I was having leaped of the shelf in the form of this little guy

1209852500.jpg

Luckily all I had to do to remove it was the old boil and pop routine. After it was loose I put the dremel to it for a second or so and this is the first step of it be fore I fit it to a hairpiece.

1209852502.jpg

Comments? Advice?

OK, well I have 3 sets of the Few Dollars More mates en route from LCS that should have been here a couple weeks ago (long story). So while I wait for them I went ahead and modified the Marty Hat from Back to the future 2 set it took me about 20 minutes with the Dremel but I ended with this.

101_0264.jpg

The picture is not the best but I am happy with the result and I have begun to consider fixing my Jay Garrick Flash.

So after watching Raider's and Last Crusade lastnight I decided to look into making an Indiana Jones custom and I figured it would be pretty difficult but after a few minutes I came up with this.

ijp1.jpg

The only problem is I am not totally sold on the pants. I have also tried this.

ijp2.jpg

Any feedback would be appreciated. I don't know why I am getting so bent out of shape over the pants the tough parts will be modifying the hat and painting on the shirt which to be honest scares the bejesus out of me.

Edited by minimadman

Looks good so far. Instead of trying to modify the hat, which will be difficult, try using one with a larger brim - like The Man in Black's hat from the FAFDM box set. As for painting just remember to prime the torso piece first.

And I like the lighter brown pants as well.

Looks good so far. Instead of trying to modify the hat, which will be difficult, try using one with a larger brim - like The Man in Black's hat from the FAFDM box set. As for painting just remember to prime the torso piece first.

And I like the lighter brown pants as well.

I like that hat because it is a fedora like Indy wears. How do I go about priming it for paint to say i am new at this is a complete understatement.

I like that hat because it is a fedora like Indy wears. How do I go about priming it for paint to say i am new at this is a complete understatement.

The hat is good but the brim needs to be a little wider to be more accurate. As for priming, I use Testor's spray primer. If you're painting the hat brown, grey primer will be best. Apply a light, even coat and let it dry - now it's ready to paint. As for paints I use Citadel as I've found they have the best coverage.

Though the eyes would be a little wide, and though there is no stubble, and though the eyes are the wrong color (maybe this isn't such a good idea :( ), I think Booster Gold's smirk has Harrison Ford written all over it. Personally, though, I would probably go with Blackhawk for an Indy face.

Also, white tux Wolvie (Patch) and someone's brown, parted hair would make for an easy, beginning of Temple of Doom Indy variant whenever you find a head.

The hat is good but the brim needs to be a little wider to be more accurate. As for priming, I use Testor's spray primer. If you're painting the hat brown, grey primer will be best. Apply a light, even coat and let it dry - now it's ready to paint. As for paints I use Citadel as I've found they have the best coverage.

Thanks.

Use a FAFDM box set pistol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely

i dunno what it would look like or wether you have it

but for the head id reccomend the paulie from the rocky 2 box set as it has stubble and a surly expression

I went through my mates and the face on Paulie is way too round.

If you dont want to paint the shirt you might try the Samwise Gamgee torso piece.

I didn't even think of that. Thank you so much.

Are you going to use a shoulder pack? Green goblin's would be a good choice, pained brown, but it might not fit with the jacket.

Sgt. Rock has a nice grizzled look. Doesn't look like Indy, but he's grizzled which would be good for a end of the movie Indiana.

I agree Sgt. Rock is a bit too grizzled I think I am going to cut and paste Kim Bauer's bag in place.

Though the eyes would be a little wide, and though there is no stubble, and though the eyes are the wrong color (maybe this isn't such a good idea :( ), I think Booster Gold's smirk has Harrison Ford written all over it. Personally, though, I would probably go with Blackhawk for an Indy face.

Also, white tux Wolvie (Patch) and someone's brown, parted hair would make for an easy, beginning of Temple of Doom Indy variant whenever you find a head.

I though of Blackhawk too and I think that it is the way to go. I have an idea to produce stubble without painstakingly dotting it on.

I think it's a great start, and I have some further suggestions.

First, the pants could be considerably lighter than what you have in the first pic. Indy's pants were a WWII US Army style often known as Officer's Pinks. They are a very light tan color with almost a rosey hue to them.

Second, the jacket. The color looks good, but the pockets need work. Indy's jacket has no visible buttons, so they should not be painted. Also, the pockets on the jacket rest at the bottom of the front. My suggestion, if you're willing, would be to sand off the pockets on that vest, and paint in the pocket outlines. Also, though it might be difficult, it would be good to have some paint to indicate the collars. The collars are quite large and their rounded tips are very distinctive. For some excellent pics of authentic jackets, check out IndyJacket.com. (I happen to have a Raiders jacket that I wear daily!)

Good luck!

I think it's a great start, and I have some further suggestions.

First, the pants could be considerably lighter than what you have in the first pic. Indy's pants were a WWII US Army style often known as Officer's Pinks. They are a very light tan color with almost a rosey hue to them.

Second, the jacket. The color looks good, but the pockets need work. Indy's jacket has no visible buttons, so they should not be painted. Also, the pockets on the jacket rest at the bottom of the front. My suggestion, if you're willing, would be to sand off the pockets on that vest, and paint in the pocket outlines. Also, though it might be difficult, it would be good to have some paint to indicate the collars. The collars are quite large and their rounded tips are very distinctive. For some excellent pics of authentic jackets, check out IndyJacket.com. (I happen to have a Raiders jacket that I wear daily!)

Good luck!

Well the jacket is the one off of the BSG mate Sharon and will be modified further. I'm not sure how to tackle the collar yet but I am giving it some thought.

for some reason i find the head for Jack Bauer on the FYE exclusive to look the best for Indy, as for the hat ill wait for The Question from Wave 8 of the DC minimates. Although yours is coming along nicely

I thought about the Jack Bauer mates as well but that likeness is so recognizable as Kiefer Sutherland that it would end up looking like Jack Bauer on Halloween.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1209852502.jpg

Comments? Advice?

I like it, but he really needs some hair. The hat seems a slight bit too big, but nothing major and it will look so much better with hair added. I can't wait to see the finished thing.

here is my version

indy.jpg

hat whip and gun from indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull

head, as suggested here 24 jack bauer

chest frodo lotr

jacket and arms eddie brock

legs and feet sharon from bsg.

I know the jacket looks darker but if you watch the first movie, it looked darker :)

anyway need to figure out a way to get some hair under that hat and i will be done

moc847

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good, Madman. I agree with Dan that it will look better if you can do hair and ears. Epoxy putty? However, I think the hat will still be a little too big once the hair is added. Have you tried the Indy hats from the 3 3/4 inch figures? If not, and you want to keep the one that you have, it might look better if you could trim the hat brim with a dremel. I'm curious to see the finished product, though.

Edited by karamazov80

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro my own thread but I just finished painting the custom that I am most proud of and I thought I'd give a little tease while the paint dries.So here it is good luck. GMMRHMABDMKSDBLLCMRR

BTW I am still working on the Indy custom that I started the thread with so look for that later.

Ok so here it is. I don't know what to call it maybe Powered Up Hal Jordan. I also painted a flightstand but it's tough to get a good picture of it. The paint has got emerald metal flake in it and really pops in the right light. It looks awesome in the sun light. Comments please.

post-955-1250142926_thumb.jpg

post-955-1250142954_thumb.jpg

post-955-1250143001_thumb.jpg

post-955-1250143130_thumb.jpg