UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Interview with Chuck @ AF.com

AdyCarter

I hate it when companies underestimates an audience or market desire.

Yes, I agree that civilian, police officers and Firemen would be great. They could sell them strictly through speciality retailers. Think of all the great custom fodder!

Anyone content on just recieving more color variations of existing minimates are lucky. Unfortunately my dozens of spiderman and wolverine variation minimates are boring to me quite frankly. I'd give them all up for a single Thor in a second.

I hate it when companies underestimates an audience or market desire.

Yes, I agree that civilian, police officers and Firemen would be great. They could sell them strictly through speciality retailers. Think of all the great custom fodder!

Anyone content on just recieving more color variations of existing minimates are lucky. Unfortunately my dozens of spiderman and wolverine variation minimates are boring to me quite frankly. I'd give them all up for a single Thor in a second.

One Thor, coming up! Question. Does he have to be single, or can he be married/separated/divorced/widowed?

Yep - they've got a set up right now of community workers (31 of them): http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=9247&am...mp;d=14&t=7 but for $43.00, I'll just buy a couple of sets.

That's the only way to get LEGO minifigs outside of a set directly from LEGO. (There are plenty of places on the secondary market for them, though.) They had previously released some 3-packs of figures. They initially did it for Star Wars, but Hasbro shut that down. They then did it for their (thankfully) short-lived NBA line. But for now, the only way to just get minifigs is through that Community Workers set from Shop@Home.

For Playmobil, there are lots of ways to get "just people". They have their "Specials" line that is, generally, more detailed people. Those are typically sold at specialty toy stores (rather than mass market like TRU, Target, etc). At Target, you can usually find the "Pals" line. They're usually pretty inexpensive and just various kinds of people. Direct from Playmobil (and sometimes from specialty stores, if the store ordes them), you can get small sets of people. Like three Roman soldiers, three dragon fighters, three Civil War soldiers, etc. This is their "Add On" program.

Though keep in mind, LEGO and Playmobil are way bigger and way more established than Art Asylum. It's easy to say, "Why can't they do it?" but it's really harder than that. (Though I'd certainly buy them if they were offered.)

When I was a kid you used to be able to get boxes of lego figures from the store.

It was nice.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember those. I got a nice box of space guys that came with some cool accessories. Too bad they don't do that anymore...