• Not sure
  3. 3. Minis you collect

• Marvel
    • DCD
    • BTTF
    • Star Trek
    • Rocky
    • Westerns
    • Future Movie Lines (Platoon, SOTL, etc.)
    • BSG
    • Completed Lines (LOTR, SFII, etc.)
    • Blanks/Promos

Yeah, it is just telling you the percentage of all license/brand votes. The other categories are a lot more intuitive, because each person can only vote once. However, if each person is only allowed to vote one time in the poll (which seems to be the case), and can only vote for a given "what do you collect" category once, then it is easy enough to calculate the proportion/percentage of voters who collect a given license, in the way that BHM suggests. . .if that is the number that you are interested in.

If Shanester reads this, let me ask another question though. Are you collecting data in such a way that you could let us know which age groups collect which lines (obviously gender is something you can't really address)?

Shane,I am not intentionally criticising the Demo...no way...but I feel that the results may be more useful if portrayed differently.

I also hope Trekker isn't feeling increasingly threatened by being (or not being) on a database :D

What are you talking about? I have no problem with it. I takse surveys all of the time and that means being part of a statistic. As long as no one discovers that Trekker 42 is really

Ha! Gotcha! No clue to my identity here.

then I'm good.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok folks lets not get hung up on one of the stats.

I suspect that Shane has little control how the stats are collected or displayed and it's just one of those BBS software things.

Leroy:- as discussed earlier in the thread there are 'ladies' but they are just shy, I know of at least half a dozen that are members, if somewhat shy.

I might be THE minority but I need clarification of the results. To date, 75 members responded . If we take as an example the 70 members 'who collect Marvel' then surely the percentage (of the 75 members) is 94-95%!

I can see where we're getting 14.43% from ........70 out of a total 465 overall votes.......but this is misleading & dare I say it ,wrong !

I suspect it's adding up all the entries and giving that %

Where this falls down is that you could select any number of options or even just one, so yeah those %'s are screwy..

T.

I totally agree TBT!

• 3 months later...
I might be THE minority but I need clarification of the results. To date, 75 members responded . If we take as an example the 70 members 'who collect Marvel' then surely the percentage (of the 75 members) is 94-95%!

I can see where we're getting 14.43% from ........70 out of a total 465 overall votes.......but this is misleading & dare I say it ,wrong !

I suspect it's adding up all the entries and giving that %

Where this falls down is that you could select any number of options or even just one, so yeah those %'s are screwy..

T.

I totally agree TBT!

This post of mine from June 16,2008 appears daily (as a new post) without ammendment,comment,discussion or reply. Why? I was tempted to delete it but I tend to swim against the tide ;)

This post of mine from June 16,2008 appears daily (as a new post) without ammendment,comment,discussion or reply. Why? I was tempted to delete it but I tend to swim against the tide ;)

I saw this happen a few times, and figured that whenever someone else enters their information into the "poll" here, this thread gets bumped, despite not having any new posts.

It's a conspiricy to remind you what and old fart you are ;)

Oddly doesn't appear as a new post to me, you must be special :blink:

T.

It's a conspiricy :jawdrop: to remind you what and old fart you are ;)

Oddly doesn't appear as a new post to me, you must be special :blink:

T.

I don't need to be reminded of how old I am thanks & I'm glad the new dictionary I sent you is helping with most of the smaller words .......now I know why your favourite character is Iron Man :P

I don't need to be reminded of how old I am thanks & I'm glad the new dictionary I sent you is helping with most of the smaller words .......now I know why your favourite character is Iron Man :P

Did not get any word book from U must have been lost in the post, can I pm my post and you read and fix for me b4 they are put on here for real?

:D :D

T.

p.s. Ahhh intentional spelling mistake game...Gotta love how it drives ya crazy ;)

p.p.s Can you say off topic!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

A female took the quiz! :jawdrop:

I know Shanester said that the few female members who frequent this forum are "shy", so I want to pose a question to the guys out there: how do you feel about girl forum members who don't reveal their gender outright upon joining?

I know some have really valid reasons for not saying outright they're girls (what with online predators and all), but given the option would you prefer knowing a new member's gender beforehand or would you be content respecting their privacy? Are you all right with this intended anonymity or would you be more comfortable knowing exactly who you're talking to, thus dispelling the awkward Hey-good-one-man-OOPS-you're-a-girl?!?!! moments?

Just wanted to put this question out there, it's something that's been bugging me ever since I started visiting online forums.

I know Shanester said that the few female members who frequent this forum are "shy", so I want to pose a question to the guys out there: how do you feel about girl forum members who don't reveal their gender outright upon joining?

I know some have really valid reasons for not saying outright they're girls (what with online predators and all), but given the option would you prefer knowing a new member's gender beforehand or would you be content respecting their privacy? Are you all right with this intended anonymity or would you be more comfortable knowing exactly who you're talking to, thus dispelling the awkward Hey-good-one-man-OOPS-you're-a-girl?!?!! moments?

Just wanted to put this question out there, it's something that's been bugging me ever since I started visiting online forums.

With so few girls on the forum then I can see them being coy about admitting to being female, the issue is that certain members get way too overexcited about having a girl around and start to act like idiots, either overcompensating for gender or simply getting within an inch of dry humping the new members leg... so perhaps they just don't want to be singled out.

I don't think the "good one man...erm girl" thing isnt an issue because we are pretty well behaved on the whole and they must understand that by hiding gender they cant expect to be treated as anything but one of the guys, besides some females I know prefer that.

So yeah I don't think it matters too much as personality tends to come through in posts once people settle and we take people for how they behave not what they are.

T.

With so few girls on the forum then I can see them being coy about admitting to being female, the issue is that certain members get way too overexcited about having a girl around and start to act like idiots, either overcompensating for gender or simply getting within an inch of dry humping the new members leg... so perhaps they just don't want to be singled out.

Shoot, I do that anyways. Just ask DSTMatt. XD

*looks for something to dry hump*

*finds Timbo*

*Runs away before is neutered*

Thanks for your two cents guys. As the Nirvana song goes, "come as you are", right?

Oh, and TM2...

*looks for something to dry hump*

*finds Timbo*

*Runs away before is neutered*

Priceless. :biggrin:

About the whole "girls" issue with this forum.

Upon my first joining I was excited about the trading aspect, and started to ask around for what I was looking for. When I PM'd one member about a trade, he actually started to flirt with me thinking I was a girl ending the PM with " I hope you are a girl or I will feel awkard." When the trade could not happen he made mention that pickle is a very girly name and I should change it to a "man" name (I assume he meant something like He-Man). Anyway, I still see him post and to be honest it kinda makes me sick that this place has perverts like that.

I can see why the girls want to keep to themselves around here, and good for them. Some kids round here lack the abilities to talk to girls in a propper manner.

That all said, I want to say a big thanks to Nervous for telling me pickle is a very cool name.

Upon my first joining I was excited about the trading aspect, and started to ask around for what I was looking for. When I PM'd one member about a trade, he actually started to flirt with me thinking I was a girl ending the PM with " I hope you are a girl or I will feel awkard." When the trade could not happen he made mention that pickle is a very girly name and I should change it to a "man" name (I assume he meant something like He-Man). Anyway, I still see him post and to be honest it kinda makes me sick that this place has perverts like that.

:D Okay, not nice that a member started hitting on a new member cos he thought it was a girl but that did make me laugh, Pickle. Not that I'm mocking your discomfort you understand. ;)

On a more serious note, this kind of thing just shouldn't happen. Members should not assume they have the right to flirt with a female member just because they're female. It's a bit creepy really. We're here to talk toys. You want to find a date, join a dating site.

I had never participated in any 'on-line anything' before I joined this board. I was as 'green as grass' & it should suffice to say that , initially, I was very nervous about contacting anybody about anything , fearing that any comment I was making might be interpretted or misconstrued. Lets face it 'a guy my age talking about toys (sometimes ;) )exclusively with younger guys & gals ' doesn't sound very healthy if taken out of context. Probably my biggest faux pas was assuming that the picture a certain 'Mod' has in his MMV profile info was...... 'her' dressed up :wub: . If you figure out which picture & which 'Mod' you'll probably forgive me ......though I often wonder if he has :sad:

Anonymity on-line brings it's own problems.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Wow. There was some discussion not too long ago about a couple of members refusing to trade with other members, and one member said is was due to concerns of others discovering his/her identity. Personally, I'm a grown man, and I've got very little to worry about in this regard (except for potential identity theft or spamming, I guess), but as I think about it, the nature of an anonymous board where most people don't actually know each other does create concerns. If I were female, or a teenager or something, I might be much more cautious about things than I am, particularly given that the kind of behavior pickle describes takes place.

Frankly, who knows who amongst us is a "pervert," or some other form of shady character? Going on some of the avatars, signatures, and general discussions that I've seen here and, mostly, elsewhere (*cough*), I suspect that I would prefer not to meet some of these people in person.

Though I think the behavior pickle is referring to is pretty f'ing lame, I should note that I, too, used to think that pickle was a girl (not b/c of name, but because of avatar), until I actually sent him some figures at one point. I actually think some people think that I'm a girl, because the first part of my username is "kara"

Edited by karamazov80

• 2 weeks later...

From someone who is a girl (& by the way, P, I don't see your name as all that "girly"), I think nearly all of your responses are completely endearing. :) I'm not kidding either. It's nice to see that a forum made nearly up of all guys is so considerate & thoughtful -- most guys would behave exactly the way T & Pickle mentioned (or else shun a female member). You guys have all been extremely helpful & nice, so I feel right at home here.

On a side note, BHM, my dad is in his early 50's & he still collects toys (not so much playing with them, since he refuses to remove them from their packaging). So do both my bros -- they collect & play. That's probably why I never stopped playing with mine, so I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. Now if you started suggested some meet & greets to have "playdates," then I'd worry. :)

PS - I'm really not shy at all. :tongue: I didn't realize this thread existed until North Raider mentioned it -- otherwise I would have posted sooner.

On a side note, BHM, my dad is in his early 50's & he still collects toys (not so much playing with them, since he refuses to remove them from their packaging). So do both my bros -- they collect & play. That's probably why I never stopped playing with mine, so I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. Now if you started suggested some meet & greets to have "playdates," then I'd worry. :)

Wierd (re: packaging )! I just throw the toys away & play with the packaging :) Regarding the 'meets & greets' to have "playdates" :ermm: .....could you tell your dad to stop pestering me :D