UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lost Minimates? D'oh!

hellpop

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=523

I really was hoping for Lost Minimates. Kubricks just won't cut it. I guess I should be glad they're not Shockinis, at least. These look pretty terrible. I stared at this for about a minute wondering "where's Jack?" before I realized that what I took to be Jin was, in fact, Jack.

Really think they are bad likenesses? I think they are pretty good, the problem is the clothing is bland but has to be that way because that's what they wear in the show.

BTW this was already being discussed here...

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...ost&p=64679

T.

p.s. Welcome to the forums HP :)

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll jump over there. Still finding my way around here....

• 1 year later...

If DST were to pick up the license for LOST, do you think they would realistically sell? It would be nice to have them in waves like the Star Trek or BSG figures, but I don't know if they would have the visual appeal that those lines had. Basically, I'd like LOST figures, as long as they are received in the same way as the 24 'mates.

P.S. 5 days!

• 1 month later...

I know that they probably wouldn't sell well, being a line of all civilians, but I personally would *love* Lost minimates. Imagine:

Series 1:

Jack & Kate

Sawyer & Juliet

Locke & Ben

Chase: Wheelchair Locke

Series 2:

Hurley & Libby

Sayid & Desmond

Sun & Jin

Chase: Dharma Suit Desmond

Series 3

Jacob & The Man in Black

Charlie & Claire (with baby Aaron)

Dharma Jack & Dharma Sawyer

Chase: Preggers Claire

Series 4

Dharma Kate & Mr. Eko

Ana Lucia & 815 Jack

Boone & Shannon

Chase: Locke's Vision Boone

Series 5:

Richard & Rousseau

Michael & Walt (with Vincent)

Dharma Hurley & Illana

Chase: Alex (replacing Rousseau)

Exclusives:

Rose & Bernard

Nikki & Paulo

Charles & Penelope Widmore

Freighter 5-Pack:

Lapidus

Miles

Charlotte

Faraday

Keamy

Pipe dream? Yep. Awesome pipe dream? YES.

And yeah. I'm home sick today and have too much free time.

I know that they probably wouldn't sell well, being a line of all civilians, but I personally would *love* Lost minimates.

I am one of those who feel that civilians aren't sellers when it comes to Minimates & whether we like it or not Minimates' closest relatives are kubricks. In a nutshell the secondary market for kubrick lines have had it's ass drop right out for some while now ....except for a couple of exceptions,'Lost' being one of them. 'Lost' kubricks are selling ...& selling well. Lost is in its final season & I personally love it despite it having lost its way for a while a season or so back & this is stimulating the market I guess. Looking at the kubrick characters & I must confess they are not memorable............ except for Hurley & Charlie who are just brilliant. Lost Minimates ? I'd love them.Would they sell ? No...too late. :(

It doesn't bode well for my current mental state when I watch 'Lost' episodes each week & start thinking "Linus...currently $250, Desmond $125+ ......etc.etc." :D

• 2 months later...

The finale made me cry manly tears. DST should placate me with some LOST 'mates.

Though, now that I think of it, I wonder if the 24 line (I believe the last 'civilian' mate driven line) performed poorly due to fewer fan favorite characters and less because of any visual appeal. I'd think most people would want a Jack Bauer (24 doesn't have the same rabid following as LOST) and after that, little else. With LOST, many of the main characters have large followings (Locke, Hurley, Sawyer, Ben, Sayid, Desmond, Eko, Daniel, Richard) who could be pared with many of the show's less-than-loved characters (Shannon, Michael, Ana-Lucia, Ilana, Paulo and Nikki) to maximize a larger amount of figures. Think about it, DST!

Edited by Apone

They could always stick a polar bear or two in there to avoid civilian overload, or a giant Smoky accessory... or a big "WAAAALT!" speech bubble to go with Michael. Personally, as civilian mates go, I'd say the Losties each had a pretty recognizable "look" to the clothes they wore pretty much the entire time on the island -- if not one outfit, it was a lot of very similar ones for each character. Coupled with the fact that the cast was so diverse, and minimate faces being so much better at evoking the actor these days, I'd say it wouldn't be at all hard to recognize who was who at a glance.

I don't think these would sell gangbusters like Ghostbusters, but there has to be a way bigger market than for 24! Buying 24 mates always seemed to me like buying Grey's Anatomy mates or Law & Order mates -- I might like those TV shows but they're just TV shows. For some reason sci-fi stuff lends itself much more to wanting a toy representation, for me at least.

Many manly tears. It was a great ending. I actually felt satisified even in my dissatisfaction. It wouldn't have been proper Lost if everything had been neatly wrapped up in a rather predictable ending.

I don't think these would sell gangbusters like Ghostbusters, but there has to be a way bigger market than for 24! Buying 24 mates always seemed to me like buying Grey's Anatomy mates or Law & Order mates -- I might like those TV shows but they're just TV shows. For some reason sci-fi stuff lends itself much more to wanting a toy representation, for me at least.

If I put on my marketing cap, here's how I might see it.

24 had a largely civilian-based line; designs did not excite nor could there have been a huge demand for 24 figures. Indeed, much of the other 24 figures have featured mostly Jack (some Palmer). LOST has proven a larger and more devoted following with a far larger cast that could be "marketable"

Since you mentioned Ghostbusters, it was mentioned in the LotR/Ghostbusters thread that the success of the GB line had to do with the devoted fanbase and the lack of GB market saturation. LotR fans would probably go for the Toybiz figures which were easily available, well made, and had a large depth of characters. The only other option for GB fans were the overpriced Mattel figures which had poor variety and lack of core characters (by that I mean non-slimed Peter and Egon). For LOST fans, the only alternatives for figure collecting have been McFarlane (expensive and static) and Bif Bang Pow (expensive and ugly).