UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Drawing designs with Adobe Illustrator

Just wondering if anyone can give me any pointer on using Adobe Illustrator. I can draw great designs on paper, but when it comes to using Illustrator, I suck. I have a hell of a time drawing using a mouse. Any tips by those that are good with Illustrator? My designs end up looking decent, but it takes a lot longer than it should because of the impreciseness of using a mouse to draw. Oh yeah, I am also self-taught when using Illustrator, so I only know very basic things about it.

My best advice would be to use the pen tool.

Click to make an anchor point, and click elsewhere to create another, at which point a line will connect the to, and continue from there.

To make a curve, put down your first anchor point, and when making the second one, click and hold, and you can move your mouse around to change how it looks. A bit of a warning though, after making a curve, you have to click on your last anchor point before creating another straight line or if you want to continue the curve.

Also, perhaps look into purchasing or borrowing a Tablet.

And remember, practice makes perfect.

• 5 months later...

Somehow i missed this response. Thanks for the link. I was looking at getting that a long time ago, but I think they wanted $50.00 for it back then. I'd gladly pay $10.00 for a used one now.

If wanting to learn more about how the use illustrator I can't recommend enough picking up an illustrator visual quick start guide. They make these guides for every version and they are what I used to walk myself through learning the program when I was first starting out in design.