UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

the end??? how can that be right??

minijeff

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad we will never see Iron-Cow's work on Waves 9 and 10. :(

I feel bad for Iron-Cow, knowing how much he loved working on the line and now it's not getting used. Hopefully he's got lots more Minimate work lined up.

As for the characters that he was working on, part of me would love to know what they were going to give us. And part of me is happy not to know what we would have gotten - it's less heart-breaking that way.

Awwww, thanks fellahs! Truth be told, though, I don't know if you would have seen it regardless?

I was going through some major burnout during my contribution to the DC line (and please remember, it was a team effort with a lot of people involved) I only handled the Ambush Bug, Clayface, Flash and Grodd from the latest wave, and only did the Sinestro/Salakk from the next batch.

Aside from the Cybermen and CyberController from Doctor Who (and the probably never-to-be-released Kelloggs stuff), that's it for me. At least for awhile.

I've spent the past year refocusing on my portrait painting, which has been a bigger passion of mine for awhile now.

The figures were a BLAST to work on, though, and there are a lot of talented people who contributed to the line. Hopefully if the next wave DOES see the light of day, it'll live up to the standards that have been set before. I'm hoping we'll see another 100+ DC Minimates, personally! And, who knows? I'd love to continue helping out with the line, so never say never.

Keep the fingers crossed. And I'll be right there with ya, hoping for more DC Mates!

Matt

aka Iron-Cow

Dang.

I can't believe it.

I really liked this line, it had such a good amount of different characters (ok, there were a few that were odd) and accessories.

And there were so many characters I wanted to see made like, Two-Face,Mr Freeze,Poison Ivy,Beast Boy, and that just a few of them.

It's also a shame that this line didn't make it to stores like Target or Toys R Us, because the line might have sold more if it would have been more widely available. The same as Street Fighter.

A least we had it while it lasted.

Another line bites the dust. :(

Awwww, thanks fellahs! Truth be told, though, I don't know if you would have seen it regardless?

I was going through some major burnout during my contribution to the DC line (and please remember, it was a team effort with a lot of people involved) I only handled the Ambush Bug, Clayface, Flash and Grodd from the latest wave, and only did the Sinestro/Salakk from the next batch.

Aside from the Cybermen and CyberController from Doctor Who (and the probably never-to-be-released Kelloggs stuff), that's it for me. At least for awhile.

I've spent the past year refocusing on my portrait painting, which has been a bigger passion of mine for awhile now.

The figures were a BLAST to work on, though, and there are a lot of talented people who contributed to the line. Hopefully if the next wave DOES see the light of day, it'll live up to the standards that have been set before. I'm hoping we'll see another 100+ DC Minimates, personally! And, who knows? I'd love to continue helping out with the line, so never say never.

Keep the fingers crossed. And I'll be right there with ya, hoping for more DC Mates!

Matt

aka Iron-Cow

Soooo... what was the plan for 9 and 10?

Matt

aka Iron-Cow

I love this forum but let's be honest,we can go days on end with threads of pure conjecture & others of pure crap(including some,if not all of mine)& then you get one like this that is just so....enlightening. Dr.Who 'mates suddenly become reality,DC 'mates might be less than dead & the guy isn't complaining about 'Ambush Bug'...oh no!... he f**king 'handled it :ohmy: Read that line again & rejoice.....'Aside from the Cybermen & CyberController.....that's it for me'....

Soooo... what was the plan for 9 and 10?

(in best Stewie voice) Yes, Do tell!

Ha! Sorry guys, no can do!

I really only chimed in because an earlier post could have been read as if the DC line was a one-person show as far as the design went, and this just wasn't the case. There were (and are) a lot of talented people involved in the whole process, so I wanted to clarify my limited involvement, just so there wasn't any confusion.

Plus, I'm not at liberty to comment on anything not officially released, etc. Sorry!

BUT... that said... I would love to see the DC line flourish. Definitely!

Matt

aka Iron-Cow

and only did the Sinestro/Salakk from the next batch.

Then riddle me this, Batman. Why the heck didn't you use Leader's head from Marvel? It would have been SO much more perfect! As it is Sinestro just looks... off.

Like I said in the other thread (maybe. There's too many 'oh noz! DC is deadz!' threads running around) I'd like to see Mattel pick the line up. They would be in a better position than DCD.

At least it wasn't Marvel. :)

and only did the Sinestro/Salakk from the next batch.

Then riddle me this, Batman. Why the heck didn't you use Leader's head from Marvel? It would have been SO much more perfect! As it is Sinestro just looks... off.

Like I said in the other thread (maybe. There's too many 'oh noz! DC is deadz!' threads running around) I'd like to see Mattel pick the line up. They would be in a better position than DCD.

I would say that because the Leaders head is exactly what you said it a marvel part and couldn't be used for whichever way the license is set up for either side be it Marvel or DC.

There's too many 'oh noz! DC is deadz!' threads running around

Ah, but that's the thing, if it was Marvel ending don't you think that there would be just as many threads, just as many people trying to save their favorite line? I would think so, and would hope so. The only lost cause is the cause not fought for.

I'm mainly a marvel fan and I honestly really feel for the DC minimates fans out there. Their line is almost positively dieing in their arms. I know that if Marvel mates would die also I would Freak, but I would have more money. :P I am firstly a marvel fan and secondly a minimate fan and will say that I am going to miss the DC line mainly because I want a Doomsday (Me being a semi superman and flash fan, but stopped reading the comics). that and with the 2.5 mates I was slowly getting closer to marvel maybe making 2.5 inch hulk, apoclaypse, abomination, venom, etc. But that just makes me feel shelfish.

I just read a feature over on Newsarama that shows that fans can have an impact on saving a canceled product that they enjoy.

Back in 2006, Manhunter (starring Kate Spencer as the newest iteration of the hero) was cancelled with issue #25. It was the common comics story – the series was acclaimed by critics, loved by its fans, and lauded by Andreyko’s fellow professionals. But, as history has shown, that’s often not enough to keep the wolves away, and the series was axed.

Cue fan outcry and one sympathetic DC Universe Executive Editor Dan DiDio.

As DiDio announced at WizardWorld: Philadelphia in 2006, he and DC had reconsidered, and gave the book five more issues to prove itself. It did just that with issues #26-#30, so much so that DiDio later announced that the series would be returning on an ongoing basis.

full story here

But that just makes me feel shelfish.

You feel like an oyster? :blink:

Didio and Brewer are two completely different individuals with different mindsets and goals. You cannot predict the actions of one based on what the other has done historically.

Brewer has always been incredibly short sighted. Just ask all the Legion fans. Or the JSA fans. Or, hell, fans of almost any team in the DCU. He's only now starting to offer some diversity because Mattel is offering legitimate competition in the DCU sandbox.

I have no hopes that the DC minimate line will be revived or, if it is, that it will be on par with what we've come to expect. Just look at past JSA figures - Flash, GL, Starman, Wildcat, etc. Look at the JSA line that was recently offered - all poor sculpts, horribly out of scale with past offerings. Certainly not the way to build a team that looks like they belong together on a collector's shelf.

Seriously guys, you might be better off letting this go....

There's too many 'oh noz! DC is deadz!' threads running around

Ah, but that's the thing, if it was Marvel ending don't you think that there would be just as many threads, just as many people trying to save their favorite line? I would think so, and would hope so. The only lost cause is the cause not fought for.

Oh no, I totally agree. People should be upset. I was referring more to the plethra of threads and not knowing where to post.

QFT

And I haven't even begun to fight! Although regulars at this forum may be tiring of the campaign, your faithful underground resistance fighters will be taking the pro-DC Minimates campaign to other forums. Stay tuned and Viva la DC Minimates!

Reideen1313 - I share your disappointment with DCD, but you've got to keep the faith. Hypno is keeping hope alive. And doesn't Brewer work for DiDio? (I have no understanding of DC's inner workings).

And doesn't Brewer work for DiDio? (I have no understanding of DC's inner workings).

No, DiDio is the Editorial Director (or something that sounds just like that). This means that DiDio is in charge of the crative talent on the comics side wheras Brewer is in charge of DC Direct. They're pretty much at the same level for each of their respective divisions within DC Comics.

I'm not holding my breath on this. After all, haven't we gone down this road a couple of times before, with C3, LotR, and more recently SF2? It would be nice to keep going, as the DC line has done a great deal of good things for the Minimate brand in general, but at the end of the day it seems like talking them into continuing is a pretty steep hill to climb. We've seen evidence from plenty times before where DC just drops a line prematurely. They just don't like to finish things.

Personally, I think they just figured out that you can't really do artist specific characters in Minimate form, which seems to be a big part of their business model.