UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

the end??? how can that be right??

minijeff

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I'll buy them if they sell them, but at the same time, I've never been a DC person, so I won't be devastated if they call it a day. I liked how DC made a great effort to have a nice variety of characters, but the costume variations of the Big Three have started cropping up, which makes me a little frustrated because I want new characters, not Batman with a different shade of blue, or Superman from that story I didn't read.

My sentiments exactly, i'm Definately a Marvel guy but i do love Batman and a select few other DC characters, that said i have bought every DC mate :P But if they are ready to call it a day, so be it ill buy some other Mates instead.

My condolences to the Dc mate loyals of this board.

Death-of-Superman.jpg

I have emailed askdcdirect@dccomics.com

Hi there

I have really enjoyed your DC Minimates line of action figures. I am disappointed and alarmed, however, to learn the line's future is in question. Please consider bringing back the line as it definitely has its hard-core fans who purchase every single figure (and in some cases, multiples of figures!).

Could I suggest including vehicles such as the Batmobile or playsets such as Justice League headquarters? That might add more to the "playability" factor to broaden the interest in the line.

Thank you again for backing such a fine product!

Sincerely

Josh Waterman

"DCD Minimates are doing well. In fact, sales are going up. Wave nine is being worked on now."

That was back in late July.

It would explain Iron Cow's cheeky comment. He knows what he's worked on and what hasn't been released. He may be expecting one last hurrah based on those outstanding designs.

see I was remembering that quote too....I guess I have to take the same stance here as I did with the Marvel rumors and wait it out and hope for the best...there is a pile of potential here and I really cant see them letting it go

Jeff of the Miniacs

"DCD Minimates are doing well. In fact, sales are going up. Wave nine is being worked on now."

That was back in late July.

It would explain Iron Cow's cheeky comment. He knows what he's worked on and what hasn't been released. He may be expecting one last hurrah based on those outstanding designs.

see I was remembering that quote too....I guess I have to take the same stance here as I did with the Marvel rumors and wait it out and hope for the best...there is a pile of potential here and I really cant see them letting it go

Jeff of the Miniacs

Yeah, now that I've had a chance to read the article and check around for similar news reports, I think this might be a whole lot of speculation. The linked article is pretty vague as to minimates (no quotes, etc) and no other site is reporting this. It would be really silly for DCD to just drop this.

I have emailed askdcdirect@dccomics.com

Hi there

I have really enjoyed your DC Minimates line of action figures. I am disappointed and alarmed, however, to learn the line's future is in question. Please consider bringing back the line as it definitely has its hard-core fans who purchase every single figure (and in some cases, multiples of figures!).

Could I suggest including vehicles such as the Batmobile or playsets such as Justice League headquarters? That might add more to the "playability" factor to broaden the interest in the line.

Thank you again for backing such a fine product!

Sincerely

Josh Waterman

I'm going to do the same.

With series 8 due in June, DCD still has time left to show a 9th series. Word was that the DC mates were dropping back to three series this year and that could still happen.

Keep in mind that Series 1, 2 & 3 were all originally scheduled to be released in the second half of 2006. Production problems allegedly played a role in their delay to the first half of 2007.

That means that DCD never intended to offer more than three waves a year. We got spoiled in 2007. It's possible the market got oversaturated (although that's certainly not the case in my area).

In any event, two of three series have been solicited so far for 2008. I think I'll remain hopeful that Series 9 – the one that was reportedly being worked on way back in July 2007 – will still be offered and that the character selection is a real crowd pleaser. (Atom and Black Canary, please!)

Given all that's been said, I'd say its entirely possible the line isn't dead. It was a big eye sore that nothing new was shown at one of the first big toy shows of the year, but that doesn't mean a thing if next week they unveil something in a newsletter or something. ASMzine (which isn't something I've heard of either, but they posted the Civil War image which gives them some credibility in my book) may have just misinterpreted some comment between their reporter and the DC staff.

"We have nothing to show at this time"=OMG!!!1! teh line iz ded!! 8( >__<'

Still, buying every available DC minimate and sending the occasional email or message board post can be helpful in letting DC know that you noticed the lack of anything new.

Errr.... Let me clarify that. At the time, I simply meant was I was surprised to hear the line was *cancelled*.

You know how everyone was freaking out since nothing was shown? I just took the initial post as more of the same: "well, nothing's shown, the line MUST be cancelled!!!". You know how people can over-react with all the ToyFair excitement.

And then apparently whichever site WAS being quoted, actually DID say something to that affect.

So, I dunno. Don't take my word for it. My initial comment was more poking fun at some of the overreacting posts I'd witnessed earlier in the week.

Hope this clarifies (a bit!) Wait until DC Direct or Diamond, or someone official actually comments. =)

Believe me, though, I would *love* to see the DC Minimates continue. Definitely!

Matt

aka Iron-Cow

I don't know. I can't see the line being cancelled. It would be October or later before wave 9 would actually hit shelves, so it may be a little early to even show prototypes. If we reach SDCC and nothing is shown, then we'll stick a fork in our DC mates.

I've really enjoyed the DC line. Although I'm a Marvel kid, I really love the DC minimates, almost moreso than some of the Marvel ones. We at least need some of the more mainstream characters made: Black Canary, Kyle Rainer, Plastic Man, The Atom, Captain Atom, Beast Boy, Terra, etc. Not to mention more of the Bat-family and their adversaries (Mad Hatter, Scarecrow, Ra's).

Julius Marx just confirmed they are almost dead.

http://www.toymania.com/toybuzz/messages/10691.shtml

:angry: No plans to solict wave 9 or 10 at this time. Which probably means work was at least done on them.

He suggest that we "rally" and change DC Direct's mind but how??

Send emails (but to who?), Actual letters (again send them to who?), online petitions (they never seem to work), spend my entire tax rebate on DC minimates and hope it spikes sales and DC Direct will then solict wave 9 & 10??

so now we know the situation what do we do???

Urgh this is very unsettling. While its indeed very disappointing, I'm not sure what else I can do. I already purchase multiple sets of every series, as I'm sure other people do as well. I think they are making a big mistake pulling the plug so early. As much as I'd love to see more DC Minimates, I will not lower myself to begging lol Make more? I'd buy em. Stop making em? I still have Marvel!!!

Reading all the facts, I would say this could go either way. The "this is the last of the line" could imply this was what they had AT THIS TIME, ie they have yet to solicit waves past what we've already seen. It doesn't sound good though.

I don't think it could hurt to write polite, calm emails in support of the line. Maybe even letters would be nice. (I stress the words "polite" and "calm;" I think most of us are both, but there are always those of us who may let our passions get the best of us). Even if DC isn't planning on pulling the plug, maybe someone will appreciate how much we enjoy their product and want to see more.

I wouldn't say if I'm a Marvel fan or DC fan or which ever comes first, but I am a comic book hero fan. I have bought every Marvel minimate I could find and all the DCD mates released and have enjoyed them all. I really dont want the DC line to finish as I think the quality of the line as made the other mates licenses take notice and up their game.

I don't know what will make DCD keep making them but I just hope they realize they have a great product and not to let it go.

If I'm honest, I've enjoyed some DC mates, but I wouldn't be too fussed if they stopped. It would be a shame, but I still have tons to collect other than DC and a load of old DC figures that I want.

This whole fiasco seems WAY too familiar to the Marvel scare not too long ago. Lets not get too worked up here.

I have to say, I'm a little bummed by the "meh" response to this news here. Maybe I'm overestimating the love for DC mates in general.

Honest questions, and I'm not trying to call anyone out: has any/everyone preordered wave 8? If not, were you waiting until it showed up in stores? Or just planning to give it a miss altogether? If you haven't preordered yet, has this news made you consider it?

Maybe DCD is right to pull the line if the support just isn't there...

I have to say, I'm a little bummed by the "meh" response to this news here. Maybe I'm overestimating the love for DC mates in general.

Honest questions, and I'm not trying to call anyone out: has any/everyone preordered wave 8? If not, were you waiting until it showed up in stores? Or just planning to give it a miss altogether? If you haven't preordered yet, has this news made you consider it?

I have to say I pre-ordered 7 (I even got extras of Grodd/Flash for a couple customs I have in mind) but have preordered a smaller amount of 8 (I ordered only one set instead of a whole case like I normally do). Since my comic shop sells out of DC all the time, but the Avengers wave and Spiderman 3 wave are all still clogging the shelves, I am surprised it is DC that may be getting the axe and not Marvel.

I may have to order a whole case of 8 now, just to throw out my vote of confidence.

As some here have said, maybe we are reading too much into this. Still, it never pays to take something you love for granted (and DC Minimates are my favorite collectable, even before my long-time favorite Transformers!)

I've had every DC wave so far on preorder, I bought cases of the first 3 waves but to be honest they started to loose me with some of the character/design choices after that. One or two obscure characters per wave sure, but to get whole waves of em was stupid if you ask me.

T.

I've pre-ordered every series so far and pre-ordered a case of series 8 last week (youbuynow.com has Series 8 cases for $66 that you can also use a 10% off coupon on to get essentially free shipping).

I've enjoyed all the characters so far and it seemed the character selection was intended to make the line last as long as possible.

Well, this is crappy news. I'd have to hope that it has to do with some re-org in DC Direct or something, and not the Mates sales or anything else.

Maybe DC Direct got over extended in terms of how many types of things they were offering? Perhaps this is an indication of a larger shake up, ala what is rumored to be going on with the Archives series or due to Mattel's "success"?

Cause if not, if sales really did suck, then I suppose the line is DOA no matter what folks do.

That is indeed sad news and I guess I too was wrong about the health of the line.

I am more a Marvel than a DC and would have been more upset if it was the Marvel line that was cancelled.

That said, I still bought all the DC mates and really liked them. I'm sorry to see them go, if that is indeed the case.

I'll add my name to any petition and will certainly be emailing DC direct.

*sigh*

Very sad because they've really been turning out top notch stuff but being more of a Marvel, BSG and Star Trek fan if any line had to end DC would be my pick. I already have all the DC characters I'm be interested in anyway. If the line continues I will stay with it though.