UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

the end??? how can that be right??

minijeff

So over on ASM I read their review of their appointment at the DC Direct booth which tells us that series 8 will be the last planned wave of DC mates at this time....to that I say WTF???? Who can we petition about this??? Do we follow PL lead on teh DC boards or is there more we can do??

And if you're a fan of Minimates, the ones shown are the last in the line -- unless you want to see more (and we certainly do). Let DC Unlimited know that you want more Minimates!

http://toyfair08.asmzine.com/index.html

Jeff of the Miniacs

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT, dcd, just great. i finally find something just as fun as [and much less expensive/pain-in-the-ass to hunt down and collect] the Mattel stuff and you put it on indefinite hold.

how do we let em know we want more? did they specify a way [ie one that they said they would listen to, not a typically-fruitless online petition]?

Well, the "at this time" part kind of leads me to believe that DCD might just be planning to concentrate on their 10th anniversary stuff for a bit and come back to these later. Hopefully, that isn't just me being optimistic.

I'll do whatever I can to get more DC Minimates!

If true, it's criminal for DCD to only give these a year before folding the tent. I say we do three things...

1) we buy series 7 & 8 like crazy, with sales being the surest way to gain attention.

2) we email DCD like crazy to urge them not to end it.

3) we email Diamond Select Toys like crazy to urge them to pick up the license and continue DC Minimates.

...and flood DCD's offices with nuts!

The sign may be left over from last year. Plus, they still do have some merchandise to move, so any display is better than nothing.

If true, it's criminal for DCD to only give these a year before folding the tent. I say we do three things...

1) we buy series 7 & 8 like crazy, with sales being the surest way to gain attention.

2) we email DCD like crazy to urge them not to end it.

3) we email Diamond Select Toys like crazy to urge them to pick up the license and continue DC Minimates.

...and flood DCD's offices with nuts!

While 1 and 2 are viable options, 3 is out in left field, because we don't know how simple it would be for DST to just pick up another license. Even if the license is floating out there, DST has a lot on their plate, and anyone taking up the license would likely result in a change in the business model, meaning you can probably kiss the 8 new characters each wave format goodbye.

Damn. Damndamndamn.

Well, sorry, misterpl, for calling you "alarmist." Looks like you were right on the money. :(

Okay, I have my torch and pitchfork, where's the posse? Letter-writing campaign? Storm the message board?

Oh, Jesus, it's like Xevoz all over again.... (rocks back and forth in fetal position)

----

Don't make me quit these for DC Imaginext! Please!

It does seem kind of odd for them to pull the plug so quickly. The DC waves have moved a lot better at my LCS than the Marvel waves did (which is why it has taken begging from me to get them to consider ordering more, with Wave 19 and 20 being the first carried since Wave 8).

Sad news I guess but to be honest... I'm not surprised.

If you start a campaign I'll sign up.

I'll rally for the cause but to be honest I thought the last couple of waves were a bit 'meh' and If I had to drop any one minimate line it would have been these.

T.

Sad news I guess but to be honest... I'm not surprised.

If you start a campaign I'll sign up.

I'll rally for the cause but to be honest I thought the last couple of waves were a bit 'meh' and If I had to drop any one minimate line it would have been these.

T.

not be brother. I would drop the cowboys, the soldiers and the trek over DC!

I am glad we had as many as we did, and if they ever decide to do more. I will purchase them

I will definitely get wave 8!

moc847

Me, I'm kind of in Tim's boat. I'll buy them if they sell them, but at the same time, I've never been a DC person, so I won't be devastated if they call it a day. I liked how DC made a great effort to have a nice variety of characters, but the costume variations of the Big Three have started cropping up, which makes me a little frustrated because I want new characters, not Batman with a different shade of blue, or Superman from that story I didn't read. And the need to shoehorn a 2.5" figure into every wave has also been a little frustrating, because it takes what was unique and makes it feel tired.

I've never even heard of AZM or whatever site is reporting this...not that it means anything I suppose.

I have a hard time thinking this is true. Scaled back? I can see that (Two waves a year let's say).

Something is not right here, because ain't no one else reporting this, and Julius Marx on his site has said he will specifically ask DCD about Minimates. No posts or updates from him yet.

If Iron Cow is saying hold the phone, that's another good sign. Toy News International also has no death of DC Minimates news in their TF 08 coverage.

Basically we've got one site with an unconfirmed rumor, and no source (like Brewer) quoted.

Things remain to be seen.

You know over at ravingtoymaniac Iron Cow who does some design work for AA stated he doesn't seem to think the line is over... he states he doesnt know but then he put a :) at the end of his comment soooooooo

let the speculation continue!

He's done work for them in the past on this line, but he's often said he doesn't know anything until they contact him to do work.

The thing I keep coming back to is a previous interview with Georg Brewer in which I could swear he said designs were done "through wave nine." That, and the fact that there's been no announced end to the line. Seems like these would have to have had sold just awfully for them to pull the plug without a word.

Reading Mr. Cow's posts at RTM it seems he prolly doesn't know anything beyond what we do.

If Retailer A was abandoning a line, would they bother showing the last couple waves? Wave 7 is out, so soliciting that one makes no sense, and why so off 8 if there is no life beyond it?

Not that the above logic proves or disproves anything, but why not devote shelf space to other things?