UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

the end??? how can that be right??

minijeff

Arrgh! So frustrating!

"Well, people love and are willing to give us money for them... buuuut, we'd rather just piss people off instead."

I'm telling you, UPC codes! Let's bury Georg in them! ;)

Great idea but we'd all need to do it & because they are bubble packed I doubt many of us ( myself included kept the packaging).

T.

Speak for yourself. I've kept every package from every toy I've ever owned since 1998. I just cut the bubbles off and throw them away, but the inserts/carbacks from the past 10 years are in a frickin huge box in my closet, more or less in chronological order.

I might have thrown out my DC backs though as they were all the same... :(

I think most of my "meh" response stems not from the end of DC, but because we've been down this road before. Lord of the Rings, Street Fighter, C3, and now this. Lines that seem to end before their time in the eyes of this board, but not in the eyes of their overseers.

DC really boost the overall quality of the Minimate brand, and for that one really should feel sad. After all, they broke the 2" barrier, dropped the cursed variant figure, and dipped lower in the character pool than the other lines. If they are truly gone, then the incentive may be gone. Hopefully fan response to the changes will keep it going. And hopefully DC will consider keeping this option open in the future.

I think we're already seeing an impact from DC mates on the rest of the line. I mean, 3 months ago, what would you have said the odds were on getting a Nova? Or frickin Spymaster?! DC Mates, and the success, and failure, has caused DST and others to sit of and take notice.

Maybe Matt was right. Maybe DCD never should have used 2.5" mates. Every line that has used them thus far has failed... I also think the designs were perhaps not simplistic enough, though Marvel seems to be suffering from that lately as well. *shrug* Just a thought.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Matt was right. Maybe DCD never should have used 2.5" mates. Every line that has used them thus far has failed... I also think the designs were perhaps not simplistic enough, though Marvel seems to be suffering from that lately as well. *shrug* Just a thought.

I think you are right that DC made others stand up and notice. I also think THINK mind you ,that DCD might be using the last 2 waves and holding them back to excite fans into buying up 7 and 8....just a thought :)

Pure speculation: A thought occurred to me; it could be that DC Direct is just preparing to re-negotiate their agreement with DST to lower production/joint license fees and increase their profit margin for DC Minimates. DC Direct can make a strong case that DC Minimates strengthen the overall brand and they may want a bigger slice of the pie. Could also be a miscalculation on their part with thinking Marvel was dead, and that DC would become the sole flagship super-hero line.

Or the DC Direct leadership could be idiots. Why would sales support another series but you choose to "excersise your options?" Doesn't make a lot of sense unless your oppurtunity cost is something with a bigger profit margin. Are Anime statues in that big of demand?

However, I think DC Direct shouldn't underestimate the synergy they get by having Marvel fans also picking up minimate DC characters because they like the scale. This has to translate into new sales of DC trades and product.

Pure speculation: A thought occurred to me; it could be that DC Direct is just preparing to re-negotiate their agreement with DST to lower production/joint license fees and increase their profit margin for DC Minimates. DC Direct can make a strong case that DC Minimates strengthen the overall brand and they may want a bigger slice of the pie. Could also be a miscalculation on their part with thinking Marvel was dead, and that DC would become the sole flagship super-hero line.

Or the DC Direct leadership could be idiots. Why would sales support another series but you choose to "excersise your options?" Doesn't make a lot of sense unless your oppurtunity cost is something with a bigger profit margin. Are Anime statues in that big of demand?

However, I think DC Direct shouldn't underestimate the synergy they get by having Marvel fans also picking up minimate DC characters because they like the scale. This has to translate into new sales of DC trades and product.

This is the only and i do mean ONLY DC Direct figure line I have ever purchased. If this one goes away in favor of a different kind of action figure, there will be no chance it will replace my spending dollar.

I don't really think that character selection was all that big a problem-- or at least I didn't before yesterday. Most collectors like variety, and having characters like Ambush Bug that haven't made it to three dimensions anywhere else can be a big plus. That being said, it seems like a big drawback now, when we've got a Ma Hunkle Mate but not Black Canary. Honestly, I think comedian is right-- they just don't know what they're doing over there.

You know, I have a crazy guess about where this is going.

There was an interview with Georg a while back in which prototypes for a 4" scale line were mentioned. This was mentioned in proximity to a question about how well Minimates had done in 2007 (the infamous "held their own" quote).

In response to a question about whether Minimates' success would curtail thoughts of a smaller, realistic-sculpt line, he said, "To me these have little to do with a realistic line of small-scale figures, as I’m not convinced they would hit all of the same collectors."

Now there are an awful lot of 4" scale collectors out there; many, many more, I'd wager than Minimate collectors. That's Super Powers scale, G.I.Joe scale, Star Wars scale, Indiana Jones scale... DC Infinite Heroes scale. See where I'm going? With the range of characters Mattel is planning to introduce for the DCIH line being mostly modern, I can't imagine DCD isn't thinking about an opportunity to piggyback onto their success with a complimentary line of Golden and Silver Age characters.

But where does that budget come from? Their bread-and-butter 7" artist-specific lines? Or a niche line that's "holding its own," but not the blockbuster that a 4" line is certain to be?

So my question now is, if DCD isn't arbitrarily tossing out Minimates, but cannibalizing them for a 4" line, would they consider farming them out to DST, who know how to make these little guys turn a profit?

All wild speculation.

So my question now is, if DCD isn't arbitrarily tossing out Minimates, but cannibalizing them for a 4" line, would they consider farming them out to DST, who know how to make these little guys turn a profit?

All wild speculation.

Hi

I was thinking along the same lines. The 3.75 inch line shares many features with the Minimates--they are small, come in packs, wide range of character, and probably most of all seem to involve a lot of part/mold reuse, just like the minis. One place where the Mattel line beats out Minimates is that the iNfinite Heroes (Dc's announced 3.75 inch line) will probably have wide exposure at the box stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R US, etc, whereas Minimates are limited to comic book stores.

I don't know the particulars of the DC license, and whether it would be hard for DST to simply produce the Minimates for its smaller market. I would be happy only getting waves twice a year if that meant sparing the line, and DST can still do what they do best: market to the local comic shops and online dealers. Maybe DST is negotiating that right now, and can't say anything for jeapordizing those discussions.

The best thing to do right now is wait a bit. After C3, I never thought we would see official DC Minimates again until the first three waves took me by surprise. Perhaps the DST/DC Direct crew have even more awesome surprises waiting for us.

Me, I loved the character selection, the amount of detail, the amount of accessories, the 2.5" figures, and the sculpted heads of the DC Minimates. And it was the DC inspired series 19 & 20s that made me go back and pickup most of the older Marvel mates, (before series 19 & 20 I owned a few Marvel mates that I picked up on clearance but didn't pay much attention to them past that, too many Spideys to few accessories).

Because of the DC Minimates I've bought a lot more Minimates (Marvel, BSG, Rocky) than I would have otherwise.

Because of the DC Minimates I've bought a lot more Minimates (Marvel, BSG, Rocky) than I would have otherwise.

...which is terrific for Minimates, but does exactly zero to help DC Direct...

The DC mates also caused me to buy more of DCD 6" figures as well. Before the Minimates I didn’t buy all that many DCD figures (owned like 3) and didn’t have a very high opinion of the company (and the canceling of the DC Minimates doesn't help). But DCD did such a great job with their Minimates that it forced me to give their 6 inch figures another look. But I can say for sure that I am now not buying a single 4" figure they make.

two cents.

Does anyone remeber three weeks ago when the sky was falling because they were cancelling marvel minimates, or am I the only one? If it happens, I'LL still buy dc stuff, because I like the characters. ALL toy lines get cancelled at one point or another, excpet for an iconic few (lincoln logs, monopoly, etc.). I've already been through several, in this short quarter century of life. Thudercats, he-man, gijoe, zevoz, and marvel legends have all been cancelled.

It's not the worst thing in the world, and as evidenced by the examples, they CAN be brought back.

But just because dc minimates are gone, it doesn't mean you'll never see them again. There's no reason to dispair, minimates themselves are going stonger than ever. If nothing else, just pick up a paint brush! Customizing is a fun and rewarding hobby.

edited.

Who's being irrational? DC Direct needs us way more than we need them right now. Mattel being on the scene really puts a cramp into DCD's style so to speak.

Calling names? Brewer and Co have a history of screwing fans over and not completing lines. Anything he/they is/are being called is well deserved IMO.

Honestly, the only thing that'll make an impact on DC Direct is a boycott of their lines - ALL their lines. Barring that, Brewer and Co will think they were justified in cancelling 'mates because collectors continue to buy SuperBat stuff.

Who's being irrational? DC Direct needs us way more than we need them right now. Mattel being on the scene really puts a cramp into DCD's style so to speak.

Calling names? Brewer and Co have a history of screwing fans over and not completing lines. Anything he/they is/are being called is well deserved IMO.

Honestly, the only thing that'll make an impact on DC Direct is a boycott of their lines - ALL their lines. Barring that, Brewer and Co will think they were justified in cancelling 'mates because collectors continue to buy SuperBat stuff.

I've bought a lot of DC Direct stuff in the past but that's it for me with that shower. It's not so much that I don't believe the line wasn't as successful as the top brass would like - it's more a case of the company manufacturing line upon line of expensively produced crap which I doubt sells in anywhere near the same numbers as Minimates. The anime-inspired figures are getting a second series - who's buying that stuff? Is it kept on because Brewer likes it?

Regarding Mattel's 3 3/4 inch line, well possiblythat might have made an impact in the decision but the two aren't necessarily competing lines. Mattel's small scale isn't going to compete with DC Direct's minimates. The figure styles are completely different. Are the two in cahoots over this?

I have some suspicions on the quality of Infinite Heroes having had a quick look at them but will reserve judgment until they're on pegs. I would be lying if I didn't get a little excited to see a modern Adam Strange there but heck, that Batman is a mess.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=alb...600&start=0

I've already been through several, in this short quarter century of life. Thudercats, he-man, gijoe, zevoz, and marvel legends have all been cancelled.

It's not the worst thing in the world, and as evidenced by the examples, they CAN be brought back.

Now THAT was a nightmare. Man, almost a 15 year old toy line, and they flush it down the tubes in favor of Sigma Six?!?! That's like saying there will be no more SW figures except for Slideshow. It was a nightmare that lasted about a week. There were so many complaints that a formal protest never got off the ground.

Looking back over the things we've lost, DC Minimates seem just another drop in the sea. We lost C3. We lost DCD. It happens. Or, to put it like Lex Luthor:

"If history that gods can die, it has also taught us that gods may return from the dead. It would seem that you can not be killed after all, Superman. So it would seem..."

I agree with a DC and DC Direct boycott. My DC purchases will be on hold while I "weigh my options."

I agree with a DC and DC Direct boycott. My DC purchases will be on hold while I "weigh my options."

I have since cancelled all my DC DIrect preorders including the entire wave of Smallville figures and several higher price items...as JP said I am weighing my options as well.

Jeff of the Miniacs

I have since cancelled all my DC DIrect preorders including the entire wave of Smallville figures and several higher price items...as JP said I am weighing my options as well.

Jeff of the Miniacs

i'm in, no more DCD for me!!

DC minimates were the last line of DCDirect I was purchasing anyway. So my DCD purchasing is on hold by default right now <_<

Brewer needs to be flogged.

If DCD is too chicken shit to get behind DC mates, then let someone else have the rights to make them (DST) and let DC/DCD get licensing fees from it. Would that be possible?

The only DCD stuff I have ever bought were the minimates. Aside from a few of Mattel's DC Superheroes (I like the 4Hs work), this is the only DC stuff I have ever bought, even since I was a kid. So this is an easy boycott.

I don't get it. Ma Hunkel before Flash?!

Please tell me they're NOT canceling the DC line. :(

We still need; Ray Palmer Atom,Alan Scott ,Captain Cold,Zauriel,Captain Atom,Parallax, The Crimson Avenger,Amazo,The Wonder Twins,Aqua-Lad,Phantasm,Red Hood Joker,Two-Face,Robotman,Zatanna,Hitman,Johnny Sorrow,The Doom Patrol,Deadshot,Animal Man,Kryptonite Batman,Guardian,Mon-EL, Lightning Lad, Negative Man,Scarecrow,Mr.Freeze,Blue Devil,Etrigan,Death Blow,Adam Strange,Sandman, Dr.Poison,Sentinel Green Lantern, Hawk,Dove,Dr.Light,Black Adam,Cosmic Superman Arthur Light,Batman Beyond,Dr.Mid-Nite,Captain Marvel Jr.Martian Manhunter,Monitor,Bat-Mite,Kyle Rayner, Orion,Wonder Girl,Firestorm,Beast Boy,Kid Flash,Mirror Master,Professer Zoom,Black Manta,Hourman,Black Flash,and Ras A Gul just to name a few.

But the top 5 are:

5.Ray Palmer Atom

4.Zauriel

3.Captain Atom

2.Waverider

1. is............

AZTEK!!! We need him the most!

I hope Boyd doesn't mind me using his customs for reference.

I can't even begin to understand this. DCD is just plain stupid. These are easily there best line out there now, IMO and they just take it away from under my feet. I mean, i did not even get a black canary or zatanna or the atom or...oh geez, there are so many still missing, I think i'm gonna be sick

well at least i got my flash :flash: