UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 22 - The Incredible Hulk moviemates

MINI_MYTE

I like moviemates a lot. I loved the X-Men 3 mates, as well as the Spider-Man 3.

But, maybe moviemates should be boxsets? Also, Hulk is not the most diverse looking hero. It looks like DST was trying to capture the darkness of the new movie, and made the mates kind of dark too.

Honestly, I don't think they are quite as bad as everyone is making them out to be. Gen. Ross and Betty look good. Enough to where I can tell what characters they are. Bruce looks a little off, but I think that is the look they are going for in the new movie. The "monsters" are okay, but as I said, Hulk is not too diverse. Seen one Hulk, you kind of seen them all.

Plus, many are complaining about likeness... but these are minimates! Likeness isn't always possible.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, many are complaining about likeness... but these are minimates! Likeness isn't always possible.

My major complaint here is likeness, and I understand your point. In fact, I generally much prefer non-real-human Minimates to real-human ones, since the likenesses are always hit-and-miss, and you end up getting half of the BTTF, BSG, 24, or Trek-mates who, IMO, are only recognizable b/c of their outfits, accessories, etc. BUT, Norton and Roth are two of my very favorite contemporary actors, and I was hoping, similar to the great "Dollars" Mates that we've seen recently, that we might get somewhat recognizable versions of these guys. In fact, that was the only thing really contributing to my interest in this wave. But now I know, that isn't the case, so I have no interest in this wave (I still think that Liv Tyler looks spot-on, though. . .).

As to what complaining might accomplish, it is hard to say for sure, but I would hope that those reading this who have influence might be reading for the very purpose of gauging what we, as some of the strongest Minimate fans around, like and don't like. . .which would, hopefully, influence their behavior in the future. I don't think complaining is going to influence whether the Hulk-Mates will come out--that will be determined by pre-sales, I would think--but if they can finally get the point simply that nobody likes the duck-feet/diaper Mates (and maybe that is why the Smart Hulk set is a "peg warmer" at my LCS--on sale for half off, and still nobody wants it), then I would say that our complaining serves some constructive purpose.

Hrm, best to individually analyze here:

Hulk: I'm sorry, there are no good things to say here. That diaper and round chest ruins everything. He looks like a MOPEY BALL.

BD Hulk: Needless to say, damage didn't improve my opinion at all.

Bruce Banner: Honestly, kind of weak. This seems like a random guy an not Edward Norton.

Emil Blansky: Better outfit, but still a weak likeness. Why round the top of his chestpiece?

Betty Ross: No thoughts. I couldn't care less.

General Ross: Why short pack him? He looks REALLY GOOD! Definitely worth a buy if you like the movie or not.

Abomination: I'm one of those that likes the figure. It needs bulk in the legs, but I think it looks really cool otherwise!

I like moviemates a lot. I loved the X-Men 3 mates, as well as the Spider-Man 3.

But, maybe moviemates should be boxsets? Also, Hulk is not the most diverse looking hero. It looks like DST was trying to capture the darkness of the new movie, and made the mates kind of dark too.

Honestly, I don't think they are quite as bad as everyone is making them out to be. Gen. Ross and Betty look good. Enough to where I can tell what characters they are. Bruce looks a little off, but I think that is the look they are going for in the new movie. The "monsters" are okay, but as I said, Hulk is not too diverse. Seen one Hulk, you kind of seen them all.

I agree with you...these are minimates and it would be impossible to get them spot on. That being said, they are all- right minimates and I will buy them, and I think I kinda like the waist part rather then the old ones...at least its not "hollowed" out inside!

not sure why you guys are complaining,other than his hair and crotch, hulk actually looks good to me. I like the chest piece and abomination. Not really caring about the civilians, but maybe Ill get them.

Im not going to rush out and buy them like I will for the Iron Man mates or anything, but if I see them I will definitely get hulk and abomination.

Ughh they are not good.

The Civvies are ok but the Hulk and Abomination are terrible. Hulk just seems to have this bemused look on the face, I don't know what they where going for maybe a movie likeness but it just don't come across. Abomination is just plain bad I don't like the body piece the detailing nothing. Its like they detailed the body and didn't bother with the rest of the figure.

I don't get how they can make a knockout wave like the movie IM wave and then this on is so below par. I can only wonder what DST/AA are going to make of all this feedback

I can only wonder what DST/AA are going to make of all this feedback

A very good question. If we the die hards, the completists, the ones who buy minimates at any cost...don't like them, what are the chances joe anybody will?

As much as I am trying to be see the silver lining (ross, abomination), I can not help but think swing and a miss.

I rather like them, though I can see where a lot of the complaints are coming from. I do think it's strange how a few years ago, everybody was saying how it'd be cool if we got some civilian Mates to use in scenes and dioramas, and now people complain about all the civilians we have. That said, I agree that Blonsky there looks a little dull, but his outfit's kinda cool.

As for the big characters here, I find it interesting watching the evolution of the "big" parts on Minimates (from the first powerhouse chests to now). I kinda like the shoulders on Hulk's chest piece in a way, because it helps take care of the toothpick limbs problem that some Mates have suffered from when they have a big torso. I agree with everybody about the feet, though. And it'd be nice if regular Hulk had the battle damaged Hulk's hair, 'cause that Spock cut looks strange on him.

Also, glad to see it doesn't look like we have any sculpted heads here. That's my biggest peeve.

The civilian minimates just kind of remind me of an extension of the 24 minimates.....

The Hulk and Abomination I can REALLY do without, but the Civilian and Battle Damage Hulk look ok.....just ok

Uummm....can we maybe have the Ghost Rider Minimates instead of these?

And I do have to agree with some others.... if they actually brought out the mates around the same time the movie comes out....I'm sure they would actually be able to sell the mates.

The Ironman ones I think will be ok because those ones are actually REALLY good....these though I think NEED the movie for people to buy them.

Anybody think DST'll read this thread? If yes, what do you think they'll do?

1) Nothing and sell the mates based off of blind pre-orders?

2) Cancel the wave?

3) Listen to the fans and do something to salvage the line up? Namely redesign the Hulk and Abomination (I know... it's past that point now)?

I don't think they'll do anything MM since we are only a very small part of DST's customer base, albeit the most vocal. This wave will sell if 1) The movie is actually good (not like the first Hulk or GR) and 2) they're on the shelves with the rest of the Hulk movie merchandise.

The civvies look fine. Abomination looks fine. It's the expression on Hulk's face and the rather odd additions that are turning me off. I'm not a fan of the duck feet either. It's nice to give these larger characters a bit of lift but for crying out loud do it with some aplomb willya.

Having said that, I will buy this wave because I am a deeply sad individual. :yes:

Some people here are into likeness (which is understandable), so I decided to look over some photos of the actors/characters and see where the minimate likeness has diverged.

The ones I mainly notice that are a little off are Bruce Banner (Ed Norton), Emil Blonsky (Tim Roth), and The Hulk himself. I studied their faces a bit to understand why.

BRUCE BANNER/EDWARD NORTON

The problem here, is that Edward Norton has a long narrow face, with a tall forehead, as seen here:

th_Screenshot_1-11.jpg

Unfortunately, that is hard to capture in a minimate, being a short blocky head. So I tried to do a little work on it to see if it is possible to capture Ed Norton:

th_Screenshot_11.jpg

OFFICIAL

th_Screenshot_11-1.jpg

PHOTOSHOPPED

Basically, I tried my best to give Bruce Banner a forehead, while also maintain the look DST gave. I'm not sure if it helped or not.

EMIL BLONSKY/TIM ROTH

Similar to Norton, Roth too has a big forehead. But he also has wide cartoon-like eyes. As seen here:

th_Screenshot_2-4.jpg

So I worked on Emil's minimate, added a few strands of hair, widened the eyes.

th_Screenshot_14.jpg

OFFICIAL

th_Screenshot_14-1.jpg

PHOTOSHOPPED

Again, I'm not sure if it is possible to capture a long narrow face on a short block head... but I tried.

THE HULK

This guy is problematic due to a few things. The first I feel is preference. Many hate the big feet, with big crotch, and rounded chest. Therefore they are going to hate this mini right from the start. However, if a person looks past that, the next problem I feel arises in Hulk's expression. It isn't Hulk. He looks mildly irritated, not so pissed off he wants to destroy the world. Look at the following Hulk photos:

th_Screenshot_5.jpg

th_Screenshot_6.jpg

th_Screenshot_7.jpg

Now compare them to the minimate:

th_Screenshot_12.jpg

We need a little more emotion in that Hulk. And maybe some power gloves like Abomination.

BETTY and THE GENERAL

I like these two, and I am completely satisfied.

But, here are some photos for fun:

th_Screenshot_8.jpg

th_Screenshot_9.jpg

th_Screenshot_10.jpg

th_Screenshot_3-3.jpg

th_Screenshot_15.jpg

I like them.

THE ABOMINATION

I think he looks cool too, my only suggestion would be to add some detail on the power gloves, to keep in line with the rest of the body.

th_Screenshot_4.jpg

th_Screenshot_13.jpg

All in all, this line isn't so bad. It just needs a few tweaks here and there, and it is okay. Definitely not as bad as everyone is making it. But maybe it would work better as a boxset, instead of a whole line?

I may just exploit the public outcry of this wave for an article on MMHQ. Of course, the way my luck usually goes, as soon as I toss up a BS article, they'll unveil wave 24 and 25 featuring the 14 people we've most wanted to see since wave 1.

Back on topic, I don't mind the Hulk mates. They aren't the best in the world, but I still like them more than the New Avengers wave. They're still trying for a perfect formula between bulk and 2" and they may have stepped beyond what they were going for in some areas, but firmed up others. Ditch the rounded crotches and maybe scale down the back of the neck and those would be pretty decent.

I think the movie Abomination is the worst looking minimate I have seen to date. Yeah, there, I said it. Put a colored sash on him and he is a great looking Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, but otherwise...

th_Screenshot_11-1.jpg

PHOTOSHOPPED

Basically, I tried my best to give Bruce Banner a forehead, while also maintain the look DST gave. I'm not sure if it helped or not.

I actually think that looks way better. I can at least start to see Norton there. As it stands, he just looks like a generic civilian. Your minor tweaking helped enough that I'm thinking a more recognizable face is possible. Regarding Roth, I'm now thinking that getting the likeness might be more problematic, as he has a very distinctive nose. No noses on Minimates makes getting a recognizable Roth or, say, Walter Matthau, problematic (though we did get a fair Burgess Meredith. . .).

Man, I feel sooooo sorry for DST. They work really hard, putting out stuff that they hope we'll like, and we tell them it's crap. It's like a wife who makes her husband a sandwich and he slaps her across the room because she used mustard instead of mayo. I can't even imagine how they're feeling right now.

Chuck: Hi honey, I'm home

Chuck's wife: How was your day?

Chuck: *sigh*

Chuck's wife: What's wrong?

Chuck: You know that Hulk wave that I busted my butt on for the last 3 months, trying to get out in time for the movie? I worked so hard on that and was stressed out because we were trying to pull 4 waves at once. Anyways, We unveiled out work today. People hate it. We tried to give them everything they wanted, and they still complained and prayed for the wave to be canceled.

Chuck's wife: OMG! That's awful!

Chuck: Yeah.

Chuck's wife: You sit right there and I'll go make you a sandwich...

See? See?! You made Chuck feel bad. Shame on you.

:P

Seriously, I have issues with this wave, but I don't like the Hulk anyways, so it's not as big a deal to me. I like Betty, and Gen Ross kinda looks okay. The strange thing is I showed it to my sister, and she said the exact same thing without me saying anything to her. So I know that's just me.

I am a bit confused though. A year ago people were begging for a civilian box set. Now that we've had the failed 24 and this wave, people seem to want anything BUT civilians. I just find that interesting.

And, yes, Abo looks like a Ninja Turtle. I like the toes though.

TM2, I think you have it wrong. This place is a forum, hence discussion. No one is insulting DST, we are voicing opinions, both good and bad. Its part of the reason this place exists.

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/

I see some TMNT customs coming from that Abomination, anybody else see what I mean?

I don't see a TMNT custom, I see, with a sculpted head piece, SWAMP THING!

Not a great set by any stretch. Just kind of blah, but then I'm not a fan of and have not bought ANY of the movie mates. I like the comic book mates.

But on the bright side these *could* be worse.