UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DOCTOR WHO Minimates

Great - so they ripped off the Super Hero Squad format for Dr. Who, but we still have no news for Minimates? That irks me...

With that said, they do look pretty neat. Though I do wish there was more companions planned.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Character Options are the company that make the Dr Who Figures and also the various Remote Controlled Daleks based on the new TV Show. I'm gutted that we're not getting minimates. But can't wait to start buying Time Squad for my Littl'un. They can all cosy up on the Galactic Heroes (who were first by the way, not Superhero Squad) Millenium Falcon that he's getting for Christmas :D

Just found the SHS Deadpool yesterday. They got Deadpool before we did too. (The 'mate is much better IMO, but still...)

The SHS Deadpool doesn't bother me as much as the SHS Zzzak. C'mon, who doesn't want a translucent electrical monster Minimate? DST? You hearing me?

And make the Dr. Who Minimates while you're at it :)

Just thumbing through today's ToyFare, and the "article" that was mentioned finally showed up. It's in the FanFare section:

Guys,

Back in February there was an online article by Zach Oat about Doctor Who MiniMates.

Fast forward to July, and now the line is not such a sure thing. I can't seem to find much info on why the line's not happening. I was hoping you might be able to glean some insight on the subject, as well as give those of us interested in the line some ideas on what we could do to convince Diamond Select, Art Asylum, Underground Toys and the BBC (and anyone else involved) to go ahead with production.

A petition at ipetitions.com/petition/whomates/index.html has been created by a fellow fan, for anyone who would like to help out.

Help us ToyFare, you're our only hope!

Tony Marchisio

(email address withheld)

The response? Not much different than we already heard:

Your only hope? My God.

Bad news: because of Underground's newly-signed commitment to Star Wars products and rising costs of production in China, the Who MiniMates have been back-burnered for the time being.

Good news: the company says they plan on renewing the Who license and are optimistic you'll see bite-sized versions of the good Doctor in the coming years. "We could have executed some limited releases in 2008, but it wouldn't have done this opportunity justice," says Underground's Robyn Morgan, "so we are going to revisit Doctor Who MiniMates next year and in 2010."

Hey, they actually printed my letter! Not the response we were hoping for, but any answer at this point is welcome.

Hey, congrats man! I've had mine printed once or twice. It's an interesting sensation. Ironicly, they butchered it both times to make me ask things I had no interest in.

This... this is not good, is it? I think we may be able to officially clone out any hope for Dr. Mates, and be pleasantly suprised if they bring it up again in 2 years.

Thanks TM2 Dinobot, I haven't picked up my copy yet (apparently Diamond botched delivery to my LCS this week :angry: ), but I think it'll be a little weird to see my name in the mag. Definetly cool though, can't wait to show it to the GF. I'll have to check it with my original e-mail to see if they changed anything.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems Undergoround Toys is going ahead with "mini" Dr. Who figures, just not minimates. It seems they are going the Superhero Squad route... er.. Time Squad that is. Check out this link. Man that's a real kick in the teeth. Minimates get knocked down yet again.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

It seems Undergoround Toys is going ahead with "mini" Dr. Who figures, just not minimates. It seems they are going the Superhero Squad route... er.. Time Squad that is. Check out this link. Man that's a real kick in the teeth. Minimates get knocked down yet again.

Check out the previous page, dude.

Whilst it's true that the Superhero Squad news isn't er....news....the fact that Underhand Toys are now actually linked to them is perhaps ,predictable ,news.

Edited by buttheadsmate

• 1 month later...

... are those real?!??!!?

... and what are those exactly? Customs? Prototypes? A one-man exclusive of some sort?

EDIT: Dangit. Should've known right away after I recognized miniseries Baltar's ruffles :(

Edited by NorthRaider

Can someone please explain what's going on? I'm very confused (even moreso than usual).

um.... ditto! If these are actually seeing the light of day, I would *very* much like to know.'

But, from what I saw of the control art, these are just really nice customs?

Strange how the package has a BSG bubble with the variant sticker. Also, the Doctor Who label looks like it is not attached to the package.

I also hope by Cyberman you don't mean fallen over cylon.

I believe that he is sporting Peter Parkers hair from Spider-man 3 and the converse shoes from Rocky.

Look, Vice President Baltar's torso.

Does look nice though.

Edited by pickle

I just don't believe it!!

Me either. Quite literally.

Its a pretty good quick custom though.

• 3 weeks later...

My spoof a few days ago fooled ...er..nobody but I was delighted that one or two liked the custom. My motive was purely to keep this thread alive & hey I'm doing it again. I've had a further enquiry as to the recipe for my quick-custom ,so here it is & he's an expensive bugger . The hair which really wasn't quite right was SM3 Peter Parker (common) ,the suit was BSG Mini-Series Gaius variant(rare) whilst the torso was VP Baltar(common) ,the converse sneakers were from the Hunt Mate (rare) & the head was.........ST Captain Pike although Lee Adama 'works'.

I have total respect for Iron-Cow & I have to admit his comments made my day :D

It's a shame that a two-bit organisation like Underground Toys got hold of the licence.

50s Marty McFly also came with C3 converse sneakers ("Chuck Taylors").

IIRC looks your your spoof did fool ONE guy though ;)... I can't remember who he was but I DISTINCTLY remember him oddly concurring how "his" Doctor Who pack also just came in the mail soon after you posted your cleverly-disguised quick custom, thus further confusing the rest of us who were fairly positive yours was just a spoof. His post got "mysteriously" deleted though.

I swear I'm not crazy!

I just got season 2 and 3 from the library. When these mates were announced, I thought "Cool, I can have a Dalek/Cyberman war. Too bad they'll never do that in the show."

I love the British so much right now.

Okay, Underground Toys. You've just turned my full wrath against you. I want the Doctor, as a Minimate, and I want him NOW. :verymad: