UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DOCTOR WHO Minimates

You... you... I'll never trust another human being again, as long as I live! :(

Ha! Well, I suppose you shoudn't look at the three OTHER pieces done in that same style:

http://www.ironcowprod.com/plastic/block_figures.html

Hey, I was young and my heart was an open book.

I used to live and let live

(you know you did, you know you did, you know you did...)

Does this make me a traitor?

Absolutely.

Unless of course that whole skrull thing going on here will earn you sympathizers...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You... you... I'll never trust another human being again, as long as I live! :(

Ha! Well, I suppose you shoudn't look at the three OTHER pieces done in that same style:

http://www.ironcowprod.com/plastic/block_figures.html

Hey, I was young and my heart was an open book.

I used to live and let live

(you know you did, you know you did, you know you did...)

Does this make me a traitor?

To quote Life of Brian... "Splitter"

Just kidding with ya... whatever floats your boat Matt just as long as you keep customising something right?

T.

I just hope the license is extended to include Minimates of all the classic Doctors.

Meee too! As much as I hate to say it, I think the success of this line is completely dependant on availability in the U.K.; without it, I just don't think that the fan-base in the U.S. alone is enough to sustain it. Perhaps a boxset or two (5 Doctors per set) if not possible as a line. I'd love them all, but the 4th: Tom Baker (the Doctor I grew-up with) is my personal favorite. If successful enough, I'd love to see "Evolution of Dalek" and "Cybermen" counter-dumpers (like the BSG Cylon singles)! B)

Here's hoping that this line is as limitless as the good Doctor himself.

Edited by cdubya

• 1 month later...

I'm really looking forward to these! All of them have a very cool look.

Hopefully we see a Rose...but they seem to have trouble with Billie Piper merchandise.

The Big Question is about getting a perfect Mini Tardis.

I looked into making some custom Dr. Who minis last year and I looked at the toy Tardis's that existed but the only modern one i could find that was smaller didn't have an way to open the door and let the mini's in. I looked into home made paper cut outs and even 30 year old toys.. but it got too disappointing so i put the quest on hold. and now.. we may get Dr. Who minis!! sweetness.. and just learning about the Micro Universe Tardis.. that may work.. need more info to see if it removable from that base and if the inside is fully accessible. (and if they ever come "in stock" again. :P

I am very excited about this line and hope it survives just long enough to give me:

9th Doc, Rose, 10th Doc, Captain Jack, Cybermen, Dallak, and some way of getting a Tardis for display and play purposes. :)

My final thoughts are, You have been fantastic.. and you know what? so have I.

p.s. for those of you wondering, the answer is yes, I do own a sonic screwdriver as well as a lazer screwdriver. :) haha

Edited by The Vox

ooooooh.. after looking into this MICRO line a bit more, they have Micro Dalleks that might work nicely!! now if i can just figure out that 4.7 inch tardis and see if the doors open and close or if they are just stuck half open...

man i am getting stoked.. i can see my whole future display in my head... gotta get this Minimate line made official!!!

this TARDIS looks promising:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Flight-..._h_b_cs_title_5

Edited by The Vox

ooooooh.. after looking into this MICRO line a bit more, they have Micro Dalleks that might work nicely!! now if i can just figure out that 4.7 inch tardis and see if the doors open and close or if they are just stuck half open...

man i am getting stoked.. i can see my whole future display in my head... gotta get this Minimate line made official!!!

this TARDIS looks promising:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Flight-..._h_b_cs_title_5

I have that TARDIS. It is an awesome toy, but it is scaled for 5" action figures.

Surely a Tardis to display with the figures will be made.

Perhaps even a mini Tardis interior just like the one for the 5" line, that would be cool. :)

Minimates & DST aren't exactly known for making Playsets, so don't get your hopes up.

Of course if we ask Iron Cow really nicely I'm sure he'll be happy to see us rescale his Tardis for minimates?

Matt any issues with pointing people to this for a mini tardis, If they give you all the appropriate credit?

http://www.ironcowprod.com/plastic/doctor_...dis/figure.html

First glance says about 35-40% is right but it feels a little tall and skinny for mates so I might look to see how much of a pain it'll be to widen it out a bit.

*EDIT*

post-7-1210053727_thumb.jpg

This is a quick and dirty 2 sides of the Tardis mockup ( Took about 30 mins to print and cut) to see if the scale works, apologies for quality at this point, no glue or edging etc... but I want to get the scale right before I build a 'keeper'.

First build impressions are that It's a very nice card model ( Great job Matt!) a bit fiddly to cut the slots in this scale but totally doable.

T.

I recall DST's venture into Playsets with the Buffy Library. I believe after that they stated they would never make another playset!

Maybe for a mini line, but yes...still doubtful.

Surely a Tardis to display with the figures will be made.

Perhaps even a mini Tardis interior just like the one for the 5" line, that would be cool. :)

Minimates & DST aren't exactly known for making Playsets, so don't get your hopes up.

Of course if we ask Iron Cow really nicely I'm sure he'll be happy to see us rescale his Tardis for minimates?

Matt any issues with pointing people to this for a mini tardis, If they give you all the appropriate credit?

http://www.ironcowprod.com/plastic/doctor_...dis/figure.html

First glance says about 35-40% is right but it feels a little tall and skinny for mates so I might look to see how much of a pain it'll be to widen it out a bit.

*EDIT*

post-7-1210053727_thumb.jpg

This is a quick and dirty 2 sides of the Tardis mockup ( Took about 30 mins to print and cut) to see if the scale works, apologies for quality at this point, no glue or edging etc... but I want to get the scale right before I build a 'keeper'.

First build impressions are that It's a very nice card model ( Great job Matt!) a bit fiddly to cut the slots in this scale but totally doable.

T.

To be honest at first glance I thought it was too tall but I did a google image search and it seems using david tennent as a a scale he is listed as 6' 1" his hairline reaches the cross piece for the panes of glass.

http://rcrawford79.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/tardis.jpg

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Tardis-Tennant.jpg

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-conte...ho%20TARDIS.jpg

I know there is perspective etc to be taken into account but its not that far out

Oh MAN... LOVE THAT! Do you mind if I add that pic to my site in the 'fan art' section? I'd absolutely give you full credit, of course!

But... you guys might also want to consider the Doctor Who MICRO UNIVERSE TARDIS. Seems to be a really good fit! Maybe not perfect, but certainly close enough.

tardis.jpg

Got mine from WHONA.com for about $17, I think, though it sells out really fast.

Oh MAN... LOVE THAT! Do you mind if I add that pic to my site in the 'fan art' section? I'd absolutely give you full credit, of course!

Glad you like it!

Sure feel free to add the pic, You might want to wait though as I expect in a few days I'll have built and posted a completed one that isn't missing parts or built quite so 'loose'!

T.

Now I'm researching Police -boxes ......I've lost it! :woot: .....& no,I don't remember actually seeing one.

Wow really?

We used to have one in a little village near where I grew up (Grown up in this case is subjective!) as late as the mid-late 70's

I'd have thought that in your 'extended maturity' would have been more likely to seen one.

T.

Now I'm researching Police -boxes ......I've lost it! :woot: .....& no,I don't remember actually seeing one.

Wow really?

We used to have one in a little village near where I grew up (Grown up in this case is subjective!) as late as the mid-late 70's

I'd have thought that in your 'extended maturity' would have been more likely to seen one.

T.

Salem? Never been there!

I've never seen doctor who, but I'll buy them just to get the red minimate converse shoes.

I've seen more than a couple of episodes. Red converse shoes? :blink:

The Doctor often wore them in Series 2 and 3, but I havent noticed it so much in Series 4.

And here's one i made earlier...

post-7-1210120634_thumb.jpg

Full build (37% of original filesize) except No light on top yet and it looks a bit shabby due to low quality printer.

Still not perfect but I suspect that i can fix that in V2. I actually want to change the way it goes together as I can probably have all 4 facings together in a row on a single sheet of card (A4/Letter) just so there is less building needed.

I'm going keep trying until I get my perfect 'cardboard minimate Tardis' but any further tinkering reports/images will happen back over in my customs thread as I don't want to clog this thread with my progress.

T.

TBT... that's looking AMAZING! Soooo very very cool!

Couldn't have built it without your original version, All I've done really is tinker. rescaling & print it then blunt a few exacto blades putting it together! :)

You should get pretty much all of the credit!

T.