UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DOCTOR WHO Minimates

H'lo

I don't think that there could have been any better news than this from Toy Fair 2008. Over the years the Minimate format has managed to attract many of my favourite comics and shows, but Doctor Who is the ultimate.

www.actionfigureinsider.com announced it on their homepage today. Underground Toys are beginning with a modest selection of six figures all from the current revived Doctor Who series: 10th Doctor in a suit, 10th Doctor in a long coat, Martha Jones, Captain Jack, Cyberman and Cyber Controller.

With over forty years of source material, this is a line that could run and run, and in the UK, the show and the merchandise are fantastically popular, with it seems products of one kind in every shop.

I've resisted Character Options excellent and thorough 6" series of figures in the hope that a block figure line was started. The fact it's Minimates is great.

I hope that this line can grow, Doctor Who is jam-packed with visually fantastic monsters and I can see ways less-humanoid monsters like the Slitheen and the Krillitanes can be manipulated to fit the Minimate frame (see DC's Salakk), oh and a TARDIS would be nice. Plenty to entice the general MInimate collector.

Finally, the Daleks seem to present the greatest challenge, both in terms of fitting the format and licensing issues. Here's hoping...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet news! I was never a fan of the classic WHO, but I'm loving the new series (as well as Torchwood).

--Rick

H'lo

I don't think that there could have been any better news than this from Toy Fair 2008. Over the years the Minimate format has managed to attract many of my favourite comics and shows, but Doctor Who is the ultimate.

www.actionfigureinsider.com announced it on their homepage today. Underground Toys are beginning with a modest selection of six figures all from the current revived Doctor Who series: 10th Doctor in a suit, 10th Doctor in a long coat, Martha Jones, Captain Jack, Cyberman and Cyber Controller.

With over forty years of source material, this is a line that could run and run, and in the UK, the show and the merchandise are fantastically popular, with it seems products of one kind in every shop.

I've resisted Character Options excellent and thorough 6" series of figures in the hope that a block figure line was started. The fact it's Minimates is great.

I hope that this line can grow, Doctor Who is jam-packed with visually fantastic monsters and I can see ways less-humanoid monsters like the Slitheen and the Krillitanes can be manipulated to fit the Minimate frame (see DC's Salakk), oh and a TARDIS would be nice. Plenty to entice the general MInimate collector.

Finally, the Daleks seem to present the greatest challenge, both in terms of fitting the format and licensing issues. Here's hoping...

I for one thought this news was FANTASTIC!!

but as much as i love dr.10, martha & jack.....I just ever so desperately want a 9th dr. & Rose.

I can see the Daleks being a major problem. The copyright to them is jointly owned by the BBC and the estate of Terry Nation (The guy who invented Daleks). For a while it was touch and go that we'd even see Daleks in the new show, thankfully the estate saw sense. After all who in their right mind would turn down an opportunity to make lots of money?

I also take your point about MM style Daleks, but I'm sure given the opportunity DST could deliver the goods.

I for one thought this news was FANTASTIC!!

but as much as i love dr.10, martha & jack.....I just ever so desperately want a 9th dr. & Rose.

My sentiments exactly. That was what got me into Dr. Who. I think to me personally, he'll always be the best.

I'd kill for a Dalek though. I about blew a gasket the first time that one showed up in the new series.

Besides, who DOESN'T want to see Daleks Vs Cylons?

That show always bugged me. Ooooh the Daleks are coming. Ok, just find some uneven ground or a hill and they'll never get to you. LOL. However, if they ever make one of the guy with the really long scarf from when I was a kid, I'd buy that. I think the actor's name was Tom Baker? The only Doctor Who I ever liked.

That show always bugged me. Ooooh the Daleks are coming. Ok, just find some uneven ground or a hill and they'll never get to you. LOL. However, if they ever make one of the guy with the really long scarf from when I was a kid, I'd buy that. I think the actor's name was Tom Baker? The only Doctor Who I ever liked.

That doesn't fly now because the new ones can LEV-I-TATE!

The old ones could levitate up stairs too. How quickly they forget...

That brings up a interesting point, New Doctor is very very light on past Doctor stuff (Sarah Jane, Tristian Doc), Sarah Jane Adventures can't show K9 makes me wonder if we will see past Doctor mates. Things like a Doctor Who children's character book on Captain Jack that only references information/events from the new series and nothing from Torchwood really doesn't inspire me with hope...

But where is Rose? How can there be a naughty Doctor/Jack/Rose threesome without a Rose? I'm thrilled, but, but ROSE!

But where is Rose? How can there be a naughty Doctor/Jack/Rose threesome without a Rose? I'm thrilled, but, but ROSE!

Lol so excited at that thought you posted 3 times... calm down there girl.... or we will send you to a nunnery! :D

T.

i've just thought up the best minimate team-up in the world

dr who and his side kick martha

teaming up with for an out of the world time traveling extravaganza with......

doc brown and his side kick marty to save the universe :woot:

i can just picture the delorean & the tardis side by side with 4 of them in front :thumbsup:

Lol so excited at that thought you posted 3 times... calm down there girl.... or we will send you to a nunnery! :D

T.

*snicker* Fortunately she always sported pants or we'd be bombarded with "party-girl" threads about now...freak'in deviants!

Don't fret Omen, I'm pretty excited over this news too! As far as the fair Rose goes, I'm sure she'll find her way to Series 2 (hopefully with a Mickey). Until then, 24's Kim Baur will fill-in 'til we get a proper one.

So Underground Toys (the U.S. distributor for Character Option's Doctor Who goods) is orchestrating this line right? I wonder if this will be like a reverse distribution in that Character Options will be carrying the line for the British? I certainly hope so, as I trust their judgement in character selections and attention to detail (over DST's oft questionable choices). Besides, it would be an absolute shamble if these were only available in North America/Canada and not where they were conceived. At any rate, I'm ecstatic over this developement and hope that it proves successful. This could open-up a whole world of new Minimate opportunities if handled correctly. I'd love for the line to do well enough to possibly expand into "classic" Who (at least a boxset or two). Great stuff; I can't wait!

They fixed the Daleks toward the end of the original series. The Doctor's taunting one from the top of a staircase and is a tad shocked when it starts floating up toward him :D

I can see the Daleks being a major problem. The copyright to them is jointly owned by the BBC and the estate of Terry Nation (The guy who invented Daleks). For a while it was touch and go that we'd even see Daleks in the new show, thankfully the estate saw sense. After all who in their right mind would turn down an opportunity to make lots of money?

I also take your point about MM style Daleks, but I'm sure given the opportunity DST could deliver the goods.

I wouldn't think that it would be too difficult. Daleks are absolutely essential to any Dr. Who line (past, present, future) as far as I'm concerned. I think the biggest "challenge" will be to the sensibilities of die-hard minimate purists. While perhaps a radical departure from the original-formula (no mini-bodies neccessary), I have no problem imagining what one would look like...two pieces: lower casing "pegged" to a rotating upper-section (with movable arms that could be changed to depict different incarnations/tasks). They'd get a lot of mileage out of one simple mold as many color variations could be utilized as well as allowing the upper-torso of a 'mate to be pegged to the chasis to create a Davros. B) "O-Bey!!"

So pretty soon the word 'Rolykins' will appear here somewhere. I thought I'd perhaps be first :)

I still have quite a few of those! Hopefully, it won't come to that as we'll truly need some "proper" Minimate Daleks IMHO. I think the Rolykins (while roughly the same height) would look too thin an disproportionate beside a 'mate.

C'mon man, this from the man pays homage to the sloth-like Cylons who, despite computer-targeting, had incredibly poor aim?!? :P

I'd expect your "suspension-of-disbelief" and sense of humor to be better! Levitating trash-cans are spooky! Cylons had the cool "roving-eye", Daleks had the creepy-ass "squawk". I grew-up in the "Tom Baker Era" too and he will always be my favorite despite the less than stellar effects. I truly hope that we eventually get some offerings from the "classic" incarnations (even a few boxsets would be cool: regenerations, Dalek, Cybermen, etc.). However, I can't recommend the new series (especially Seasons 1 & 2) enough. It's an incredibly witty and very well done series (my second favorite show after BSG). Do yourself a favor and check it out if you're not familiar with the new stuff.

I'd kill for a Dalek though. I about blew a gasket the first time that one showed up in the new series.

Besides, who DOESN'T want to see Daleks Vs Cylons?

Correction: "Dalek. One-Dalek-is-superior-to-a-Cylon-Empire. EX-TER-MINATE!!!" :P

*I just loved when the Dalek was "trash-talking" the Cyber Leader about army numbers in their confrontation; they're so f'ing arrogant. F'ing hilarious!! And reason #57 why I had better see a Dalek by Series 2 (a "Cyberman/ Dalek" army-building 2-pack would be "oh-so-appreciated", Underground. O-Bey?).

I wonder how a Cylon/ Cyberman confrontation would go down? Similar, yet conflicting interests...that would be fun & interesting! B)

Cybermen-Borg would be a much closer analogy. Cylons don't want to assimilate humanity they just want to destroy it, but in the meantime have lots and lots of sex with humans. Oh those wacky Cylons! :D

They fixed the Daleks toward the end of the original series. The Doctor's taunting one from the top of a staircase and is a tad shocked when it starts floating up toward him :D

Actually that was Rose running up the stairs with a security guard and the other kid that they picked up and took to the future.

Felt this might be relevant.

post-51-1203470093_thumb.jpg

post-51-1203470100_thumb.jpg

post-51-1203470109_thumb.jpg