UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Shamrock's lost customs: Fighting JC and Batman pg. 35

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, but you sir, are a bitch! That Hellboy is one of the best customs I've ever seen and now I can forget about mine. THIS IS IT! Seriously, that paint job ist brilliant, the parts you've chosen work perfect and the Mignola style is outstanding!

Your Pilgrim twins are great! No question, but I guess it's something you mentioned yesterday: they are just boring jeans and T-Shirt guys. Meining, they look as good as possible and I really enjoy them, but something like your Hellboy really reveals your talent! Great, great job!

as everyone else has already expressed my thoughts on hellboy, i'll just say awesome.

another thing i'll say is thank you, why? because your scott pilgrim customs have made me so happy that i have purchased all 6 volumes! THANKS for being the person to make me interested as it is now my favourte thing in the world!

keep up the good work, please

Oh, wow. Thanks a whole bunch everyone! This reception is absolutely amazing. So, do I have to top it now?

Bob: You shush. Your batch of Hellboy customs are amazing. They're like a perfect blend of the Mignola character designs, and something that would be likely to be produced by DST. Also your Johann has a real glass head! How cool is that!?

Nugget: Glad i could help! :D

Bob again: Luckily, now that I've made evil exes 1-6, I can do number 7, then Ramona and other characters which have more than jeans and a t-shirt. We'll be seeing swords, knives (including a girl names Knives), giant hammers, roller blades, massive scarves, and so on!

Edited by Shamrock

Thanks a lot. You used a different style, just as you said. I tried to do a mix between Mignola and regular 'mate designs, but your one step further really did it. I'm not kidding, this is one of the best things I've ever seen mate-wise. And I saw a lot of Luke's stuff. (And Boyd's. And Punisher's. And... :geek: )

I won't be checking your new customs in the next days, since I haven't finished book 5 so far and I don't want to get spoiled. ;)

Also your Johann has a real glass head! How cool is that!?

And I won't tell you what this sentence might mean in German.

I must add my kudos to the Hellboy Minimate. You perfectly blended Mignola's unique style with the overall Minimates asthetic. It doesn't look like a production Minimate simply because it is too good! I'm not sure Art Asylum could capture that blend in fifty attempts.

Amazing work!

noticing you and bob comparing hellboys, i must say (and i'm sure others will agree) that they are both some of the best not only minimates, but custom anything in general

if that makes you both feel better :P

also look forward to seeing more scott pilgrim things, especially as i'm still waiting for the books to be delivered

everyone has pretty much said what i would have but when i saw your hellboy like everyone else it dead stooped me in my tracks i spent quite a while drooling over it- its a beutiful piece of art

you bet-cha (lol) :)

More thank yous to everyone!

Eclepise: Were you walking while browsing MMMV? Maybe at one of those treadmill workstations? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the big secret is pretty much having the comic right next to me as I paint. 80% of him is based directly off the cover to Vol2: Wake the Devil TPB. I guess just treating the minimate like a flat surface to directly copy the art as much as possible. for other parts like his sides or back I would flip through the book to find another reference spot, though in the end I was just kinda making it up, I guess having gotten used to the style. Basically: make oblong, blocky shadow, add lines coming out of shadow, add tiny lines everywhere. I think most of the left arm/side torso is made up. All in all it was kind of a headache.

I think I want to try more artist-specific customs. The trick is coming up with art styles that would fit in well.

Tim Sale comes to mind...

post-73-1282277112_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shamrock

Another commision! This time a Predator for BrobotC

Predator1.jpg

Predator2.jpg

The shoulder cannon has 3 points of articulation

Predator4.jpg

And is also removable.

Predator5.jpg

Predator6.jpg

Predator3.jpg

I did try to make the wrist blades retractable and give the bomb-panel a hinged cover, but the scale was too small.

Recipe:

Normal Minimate body with Mark V Iron Man's left arm and legs

Somebody's clawed hands (help me out on this one?)

Modern Cylon waist piece and gauntlets

Powerhouse chest piece

A lot of cutting, sculpting, and scratch-building.

Edited by Shamrock

WoW that is a awsome Predator

if you dont mind me asking did you make that shoulder cannon or retreive it from somthing else? I have to know that cannon is wicked!!

It's 100% scratch built.

The arm is just random pieces of plastic with styrene rods and tubes used to make articulation. The Gun is the front of some G.I Joe gun I think (movie Destro?) sculpted over and a hole drilled into the bottom the size of a minimate hand peg.

Here's an early pic:

PredSculp1.jpg