UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Shamrock's lost customs: Fighting JC and Batman pg. 35

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the comments guys! It was a lot of fun to make.

BobaFett - I used Americana brand Glow in the Dark paint. Seen here.

I haven't used any of Americana's acrylics before (I'm an Apple Barrel man) but I noticed that had a few mediums and additives for acrylics that I wanted to give a shot. Seen here. It glows nicely, but what they say about mixing it with other colors is about as effective as it sounds, you lose half the brightness. I just stick with putting it over whatever I want to glow. It can be a bit thick and rubbery depending on how much you put on.

I also picked up their pearlizing medium, it does what it sounds like, makes your colors sparkle. Expect Twilight customs.

Looking at their site, I think I want to try their texturing mediums.

Edited by Shamrock

• 1 month later...

You know, I started this thing last year where I make my brother a set of Minimates for Christmas.

Last year it was a very last-minute idea, so I whipped up a simple Red Lantern Guy Gardner and paired it with my original Atrocitus. And I forgot to take pics before I wrapped it, and haven't done so since.

This year, I actually planned a bit and did a slightly more complex set, and was continually reminding myself to take pictures.

And yeah, I just wrapped the set with no pictures taken.

Bah humbug.

• 1 month later...

Hey! I'm not dead again!

So, currently I'm working on a huge commission order, so I'll be posting like, 50 customs soonish. Besides that I've been looking at/experimenting with some new stuff for my customs, so hopefully I'll have something to show for that eventually. anywho, in the meantime there's a contest! And I love contests! So I did this...

SadLantern.jpg

Hal Jordan's life has been rough. At a young age he witnessed the death of his father, only to grow up working for the company that created the faulty aircraft that caused his death. His reckless behavior at work has cause him to lose his job, and his advances on the love of his life, Carol Ferris, are constantly rejected. And to top it all off, he's started going gray. Hal started to think that he would never be able to get out of this great depression, but one day, after witnessing an alien spaceship crash to the Earth, he found out he was right.

The horribly depressed looking alien recognizing Jordan as a man of great sadness, the injured alien passed to Jordan his blue power ring and energy battery or "lantern" which charged the ring. Jordan has since found himself part of one of six groups that wield light from the emotional spectrum: The Blue Lantern Corps.

As the Blue Lantern of sector 2814, it is Hal's responsibility to ensure the spread of sadness throughout the galaxy with the help of his empowered tears, while assisting, and sometimes battling the other 5 lantern groups: Happiness, Anger, Fear, Disgust, and Surprise!

--------------------------------

So I always kinda wished there was an alternate universe where the various color lanterns make sense...like at all. Maybe I'm crazy, I just don't think willpower or greed count as emotions. So in this universe the lanterns represent simpler things like happiness and sadness.

I figured the rings would take your dominant emotion and turn it up to 11.

The Orange Lanterns represent happiness, and are so freaking cheerful it's annoying. I think Guy Gardner might be one of them.

The Red Lanterns are pretty much the same.

The Yellow Lanterns don't instill fear, they're fearful themselves. Of everything.

The Green Lanterns are filled with disgust at everything around them, considering themselves better than anyone.

And the mysterious Pink Lanterns are constantly in a state of surprise, which for most others would turn into one of the other emotions, this allows them to harness and use the light of the other lanterns.

So, yeah. That's that.

Haha, that's awesome! A great concept to bat, now you gotta fill out the whole spectrum. I wanna see what an orange lantern would look like!

And 50 customs? DAMN! I can't even control myself when you post just one awesome custom, but 50? I think my head is gonna explode.

(and looking forward for your commissions to be freed up so i can get another from ya!)

Ha ha! Awesome job on the crying Hal custom. The paint job on the body is also really good. As for avarice/greed not being an emotion, personally I view it as "desire" which I believe is an emotion last I checked.

I actually had a similar idea a few years ago for a web comic, where I swapped Avarice for Sadness and Compassion for Joy, and planned for the protagonist to obtain the orange emerald (as oppsed to a ring) due to his own personal sorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I probably could tell, I just don't like to say what I'm working on :D

I'll say they're all evil, and a few are yellow.

But, speaking of something I'm working on....something I'm working on!

Remember Larfleeze? With the sculpted head?

Yeah, I lost it. Luckily I did this before losing it:

CastingTest1.jpg

And how about the Maxx?

CastingTest2.jpg

Yeah, trying casting. The mold making stuff is awesome, but I'm kinda iffy on the resin I picked up (read: the cheapest I could find) I think it's more meant for mimicking water for people that make fake flower arrangements. It takes a very long time to cure, and will still be tacky for a while after that, though the mix on Larfleeze dried quite a bit quicker, I might have mixed it better. Now, I'm not saying I'll be making copies of all my sculpted parts just yet, but I'm also not saying it'll never happen.

Hopefully I'll have customs next week or so.

Wow! I'm lame! For more info, I'm using Smooth-On brand OOMOO 30 to make the purple molds. It's simply amazing and easy to use.

You can buy it here:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/smooth-on-oomoo-30-silicone/

Look to see if you got a Dick Blick store near you if you're interested, I picked mine up at the one in Boston. There's also an OOMOO 25, which dried much fast, but I couldn't find it anywhere near me and I've grown to like the somewhat lengthy pot life of the 30.

The resin I'm using is EasyCast clear casting epoxy by Castin'Craft. I wouldn't recommend it really.

but I'm kinda iffy on the resin I picked up (read: the cheapest I could find) I think it's more meant for mimicking water for people that make fake flower arrangements.

Try EasyCast if you want it clear, it's a simple 1:1 ratio mix (although slightly more hardener is a good call) and it's really easy to find (most craft stores have it for people who make fake gems, look near the glue guns) but it takes 24 hours to set. If you want fast and don't care for transparent try Alumilite, it sets in 15 minutes and is durable as all hell and can be found at TAP plastic if you have a local one, it's a mix measure though not 1:1 so you need to be EXTRA carefull too much of either is will leave a film behind in your mold I still haven't figured out how to clean.

you can find both at http://www.sculpt.com/ if local options don't pan out.

basically: I want a Larfleeze head and I am imparting what casting knowledge I have onto you to make it happen! MINE! MINE! MINE!!!!

EDIT: ah, you are using EasyCast, try mixing in more of the hardener (like a just a .01% more) it makes the stuff a little more ridged and a lot less tacky... I use it all the time and rarely do I have a sticky casting (anyone get a sticky flightstand or clear Ironman from me?)

Edited by dr baghead

i want that orange lantern head cast (and an orange ring, and an ipad 2, and a comedy central roast of my own, and two cheeseburgers, and....)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey! An update!? When I promised one like, a month or two ago?

Yeah, it's not that update (that's reeeeaaal soon. Maybe tonight)

It's my Charitymate submission, so you've probably seen it already!

"Dr. Irwin B. Miceon"

MadDoc1.jpg

MadDoc2.jpg

MadDoc3.jpg

MadDoc4.jpg

Dr. Irwin B. Miceon's (Mice•ee•on) colleagues called him mad. Dr. Miceon called his colleagues a bunch of yellow bellied, [EXPLETIVE DELETED], cowards. He knew you couldn't let trivial things like public safety get in the way of your work, but the scientific community prevented him from conducting even his least lethal tests.

Hearing of the great prize promised in The Tournament of Fighters, Dr. Miceon resolved to win. Knowing he's at a physical disadvantage against a group of mystical being and great warriors, Miceon uses his powers of SCIENCE! to take down those who get in his way; the most notable being the MiceonCo. Red-Powered Wrist-Mounted Negative Electromagnetic Resonance Inducer®, which emits a powerful blast of destructive red energy! With this technology, Dr. Irwin B. Miceon plans to take over the world

So yeah!

B. Miceon essentially came about after playing Portal 2 and seeing the Lego Mad Scientist.

His backpack and gun is a mish mash of parts I had lying around. That's not real liquid in the backpack to gun tube, it's dried clear red paint.

Edited by Shamrock

So yeah, big commission time.

This great big commission will be split up into two parts, part 2 will have 3 customers, part 1 has 8

These 8 are from something I've never heard of, the Revengers of Marvel's Cancerverse!

Apparently they're evil versions of the Avengers, and I can always get behind some Alternate reality stuff.

So here we go...

Captain America

CancerCap.jpg

Iron Man

CancerIronMan2.jpg

Thor

CamcerThor.jpg

Giant Man - 3" (his face creeps me out so much)

CancerGiantMan.jpg

Ms. Marvel

CancerMsMarvel.jpg

Scarlett Witch

CancerScarlett.jpg

Vaughn

CancerVaughn.jpg

Adam Magus

CancerAdamMagus.jpg

Lord Mar-Vell

CancerMar-Vell.jpg

Whew...that was tough. Aaaaand group shot!

CancerverseGroup2.jpg

Lots of pics, yeah. I spent so long on my knee taking pictures for this set of commissions that I've been aching for almost a week now. So note to self: get a taller table.

how dare you shamrock, your awesome customs blew my brains out! and it took me 15 years to get those brains to where they are now, and your epicness just blew them to bits! :P